What's new

Kuwait to sign for 28 Eurofighter Typhoons

Blue Marlin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Italian MoD Source: Kuwait To Sign Deal for 28 Eurofighters

1647344.jpg

ROME and DUBAI — Kuwait is expected to sign a deal to buy 28 Eurofighter aircraft on Jan. 31, an Italian Ministry of Defense source has told Defense News.

“Italian Defense Minister Roberta Pinotti has been invited by Kuwait to attend the signing for 28 Eurofighter aircraft on Sunday in Kuwait,” the source said on Wednesday.

Italy, which is one of the four industrial partners on the Eurofighter program alongside the UK, Spain and Germany, has taken the lead in marketing the aircraft to Kuwait.

Two senior Kuwaiti Military officials confirmed to Defense News on Wednesday that the Minister of Defense Khaled al-Jarrah al-Sabah will sign the Eurofighter contract with Pinotti on Sunday.

One senior official said the decision came after repeated US delays regarding the acquisition of a new fleet of Boeing F-18 Super Hornets.

"We were trying to acquire the F-18 Super Hornets and replace the existing fleet of F-18s with Super Hornets and Eurofighter Typhoons," he said. "However, we cannot wait for the American approval and need to update our Air Force now."

A second official stated that a meeting was held with Italian Air Force officials in Turin in mid-November.

"We have discussed the Eurofighter deal, which was expected to be finalized in Kuwait in December but was delayed due to problems on the pilot training," he said.

"Our Air Force wanted to send the pilots for training in the United Kingdom, not Italy, due to the language barriers; however the deal was finalized after there was an agreement on sending them to train in Italy," he added.

"The training program is expected not to take less than 18 months," he said.

A memorandum of understanding was first signed by Italy and Kuwait in September, and a final signature on the contract was initially expected by the end of 2015. The Kuwaiti parliament was required to sign off on the funding.

Kuwait has agreed to buy 22 single-seat and six twin-seat Typhoons in a government-to-government agreement. Italian firm Finmeccanica has been handling the industrial side of the sales push.

Industry sources have said the deal, which could be worth up to €8 billion (US $8.7 billion), could see the Kuwaitis become the first export customer for the active electronically scanned array radar being developed for the jet.

The aircraft are expected to be new-build, third tranche, swing-role versions of the fighter, with deliveries starting in 2019 and possibly covering munitions such as the Storm Shadow and Meteor.

An Italian source has said that over 50 percent of the value of the Eurofighter deal in Kuwait would be earned by Finmeccanica, which assembles the aircraft but also provides systems.

source: DefenceNews

Italy, which is one of the four industrial partners on the Eurofighter program alongside the UK, Spain and Germany, has taken the lead in marketing the aircraft to Kuwait.
Why no one among them is interested in marketing it in Pakistan :(

"We were trying to acquire the F-18 Super Hornets and replace the existing fleet of F-18s with Super Hornets and Eurofighter Typhoons," he said. "However, we cannot wait for the American approval and need to update our Air Force now."
This is the attitude I want from PAF ......................

they already did, you guy's are not interested in it. too expensive.

This is the attitude I want from PAF ......................
you should go tell them that, and when your finished telling them. tell me what they said, and i will pass the message on.

Last edited:
That's because Kuwait and other countries are buying for fleet replacement. For Pakistan's fleet replacement, the PAF is manufacturing the JF-17 in-house. If Pakistan didn't have a local jet production program that meets their needs and was issuing tenders for a fleet replacement, many major manufacturers would be vying for the contract.
As for money, Pakistan has enough for the purpose. The cost to purchase 50 blk I, 50 blk II and 50 blk III (assumed at $40 million a piece), along with the amount paid for the R&D of the program amounts to roughly $5 billion (not including inflation). Add another $5 billion on increment payments, and you have a fleet of around 80 Eurofighters which will serve for decades to come.
Kuwait is playing smart as there are fewer politics attached to European equipment as compared to their U.S. counterparts. For example, Egypt employs a large number of F-16s, however they are widely believed to be ineffective against its traditional military rivals like Israel. With the Eurofighter, you will get what is on paper.

they already did, you guy's are not interested in it. too expensive.

Hate to burst your bubble, but the Eurofighter is as sanction prone as any American fighter. PAF buying it did not make sense to them then, and now, because "if you are going to go down the sanction prone road", might as well buy an F-16, better value for money, plus the infrastructure is already in place

Hate to burst your bubble, but the Eurofighter is as sanction prone as any American fighter. PAF buying it did not make sense to them then, and now, because "if you are going to go down the sanction prone road", might as well buy an F-16, better value for money, plus the infrastructure is already in place

Buy Rafale.

What sanctions regarding the Eurofighter?

Why not ? We can finally decide which pilots are better.
So you think,India wouldnt object to it,after all,India is buying 36 Rafales for starters(more to come) and France wouldnt care?

So you think,India wouldnt object to it,after all,India is buying 36 Rafales for starters(more to come) and France wouldnt care?

Yeah,they'd probably kill the deal right off.However,that doesn't change the fact that the French will give what you ask for as long as you pay for it.

As for the EF ,the picky Germans took a back set when it comes to sales,leaving Italy and the UK in charge so i don't think sanctions are a problem.As we can see the Meteor,Storm Shadow come with the EF.The Americans denied the UAE the right to integrate the Black Shaheen on F16's so they use it on their Mirages.That's why i think that the Emiratis must buy the Rafale if they want a replacement for their M2K.If they go US all the way,bye bye cruise missiles on their fighters.

Same for Saudis,they need the EF.

The EF has American parts. Secondly, the UK's relationship with the US, is like the Pak-China relationship. You might be buying from the UK, but the US can do more than throw a spanner in the works, IF it wants to.

Yeah,they'd probably kill the deal right off.However,that doesn't change the fact that the French will give what you ask for as long as you pay for it.

As for the EF ,the picky Germans took a back set when it comes to sales,leaving Italy and the UK in charge so i don't think sanctions are a problem.As we can see the Meteor,Storm Shadow comes with the EF.The Americans denied the UAE the right to integrate the Black Shaheen on F16's so they use it on their Mirages.That's why i think that the Emiratis must buy the Rafale if they want a replacement for their M2K.If they go US all the way,bye bye cruise missiles on their fighters.

Same for Saudis,they need the EF.
DO you know that we are the only ones to integrate the Meteor on to an F-16. There's more but I'm not talking :D

DO you know that we are the only ones to integrate the Meteor on to an F-16. There's more but I'm not talking :D

You did have permission for the best AIM 120 so that doesn't surprise me but they did balked at Black Shaheen integration.

keep on buying aircraft.. their focus should be on ground forces.. u can not win wars with only air force u need ground forces... as seen in case of yemen and syria.

keep on buying aircraft.. their focus should be on ground forces.. u can not win wars with only air force u need ground forces... as seen in case of yemen and syria.

AF is a great tool tough if you want to pulverise an incoming Iranian army .

Back
Top Bottom