What's new

Kurdish soldiers trained by Israelis

usernameless

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Kurdish soldiers trained by Israelis

Newsnight has obtained the first pictures of Kurdish soldiers being trained by Israelis in Northern Iraq, as well as an interview with one of the former commandos who carried out the work.

When the former Israeli special forces soldiers were sent to Iraq in 2004 they were told they would be disowned if they were discovered.
Their role there was to train two groups of Kurdish troops.

One would act as a security force for the new Hawler International Airport (near Erbil) and the other, of more than 100 peshmerga or Kurdish fighters, would be trained for "special assignments", according to one of Newsnight's interviewees.

Contractors

An Israeli security consulting form called Interop acted as the main contractor for the Hawler airport project and set up two subsidiaries (Kudo and Colosium) to carry out work in Iraq.

Kudo and Colosium described themseleves as Swiss-registered companies

In addition to the training, Kudo provided quad bikes, communications equipment and security fencing.
One of the founders of Interop, and its Chairman until 2003, was Danny Yatom, a former Head of Mossad - the Israeli foreign intelligence service and now an MP.

He told Newsnight today: "I was not aware of what was done in 2004 and 2005 because I cut all contacts with the company when I entered the Israeli parliament in 2003."

During 2004-5, Interop and Kudo were run by Shlomi Michaels, a former head of Israel's counter-terrorist unit. Contacted by Newsnight, Mr Michaels declined to comment.

Special assignments

Newsnight was told by the Israeli interviewee involved in the training that senior Kurdish officials were aware of their nationality, but not the troops being trained.

Iran and Turkey are concerned about a Kurdish state emerging in Northern Iraq
The sensitivities for the Kurdish authorities are serious, since their political enemies have long accused them of being in cahoots with Israel.
The Kurdish authorities have previously denied allowing any Israelis into northern Iraq.

The Israeli trainer says: "You know, day by day it's a bit tense because you know where you are and you know who you are. And there's always a chance that you'll get revealed.

"My part of the contract was to train the Kurdish security people for a big airport project and for training, as well as the Peshmerga, and the actual soldiers, the army.

"We were training them in all kinds of anti-terror lessons, anti-terror, security airport, training them with long rifles, pistols; telling them, teaching them tactics like shooting behind doors, behind barricades, shooting from the left, shooting from the right, shooting from windows, how to shoot first, how to identify a terrorist in a crowd.

"That's clearly special assignments. That's only training that special units get for special assignments.

"We crossed the border from Turkey and one of the intelligence officers passed us by, through the border, without stamping our passports.

"So you reckon that if two guys from the intelligence service knew we were Israelis and they saw our passports as well, the leadership knew as well - I mean their bosses, that's natural."

"The second Israel"

Khaled Salih, a spokesman for the Kurdistan Regional Government, says: "These are not new allegations for us. Back in the sixties and seventies we were called 'the second Israel' in the region and we were supposed to be eliminated by Islamist nationalist and now Islamist groups.

The Kurdish authorities have long been accused of being in cahoots with Israel
"They look for internal enemies and we are the easiest to target. These kind of speculations have been around in the region for more than 30 years."
The Kurdistan region sits at a strategic crossroads. To the east is Iran, to the north-west Turkey. Both countries have significant Kurd minorities and are worried about a Kurdish state emerging in northern Iraq.

The authorities there have accepted that for now and that they must remain part of a federal Iraq.

As they develop their region, the Kurds have opened an international airport at Irbil (Hawler in Kurdish).

It now boasts dozens of international flights each week and it is at Hawler International that the Israelis began their work.

Strategic options

With Iran becoming Israel's principal enemy, there have been reports of Israelis using Kurdish areas of Iraq to increase its strategic options.

One constraint facing the Israelis, should they ever want to hit Iran, is distance. Most Israeli jets are short range and they have few in-flight tankers. Some studies have suggested that Israel could make refuelling stops at a modern airfield in Kurdistan.

If the Israelis ever planned to use Hawler airport as an emergency refuelling stop, it has now been compromised by Israeli press reports.

After finishing their training, Kurds sang their national anthem while marching behind one of the Israelis.

Israeli Government spokesman, Mark Regev, told Newsnight that the Investigations Division of the Israeli Ministry of Defence had passed the details of this case to the Israeli police to see if there had been any violation of export laws.

He added: "We have not authorised anyone to do any defence work in Iraq... If information is brought and there's clear evidence that people broke our law, of course I expect them to be prosecuted."

BBC NEWS | Programmes | Newsnight Home | Kurdish soldiers trained by Israelis

--------------------------------

Old news, but it nicely illustrates what the benefits of the current mess in Iraq will offer to the Kurds and Israel, the main benefactors from this Isil mess.

Kurds and Israelis are natural allies. The Israelis should help the Kurds to develop a secure state as much as they can. In fact, the Israelis could also show that they are a good ally to the USA by being the conduit for deniable USA aid to the Kurds.

KRG is a cheap energy source for us, Turkish companys are investing billions there and they are one of the biggest customers of Turkish goods.

A stable KRG is also in our interest so go on. :tup:

Honestly doubt this, Israeli urban 'combat' consists of them utilizing everything in their arsenal razing neighborhoods to the ground then advancing.

This is from my own personal experience as well.

Honestly doubt this, Israeli urban 'combat' consists of them utilizing everything in their arsenal razing neighborhoods to the ground then advancing.

Spare me of ur nonsense. In 2002 Israel captured all West Bank towns with very very minor damage.

Spare me of ur nonsense. In 2002 Israel captured all West Bank towns with very very minor damage.

Photos from 2002 Israeli offensive in Jenin:
filistin_cenin_-.jpg

jenin-095m-250402.jpg

us_destroyed_jenin_refugee_camp.jpe

jenin-083m-250402.jpg

You cowards never fight face to face in Gaza, I was present during some Israeli offensives in Gaza and Israel was rarely in direct confrontation. It's all artillery bombing high intensity attacks with little ground movement.

This time they learned your cowardly tactics and try again to enter Gaza you will be buried right there.

Photos from 2002 Israeli offensive in Jenin:
filistin_cenin_-.jpg

jenin-095m-250402.jpg

us_destroyed_jenin_refugee_camp.jpe

jenin-083m-250402.jpg

Thats just one spot in Jenin. Other neighborhoods of Jenin, all other towns and hundreds of villages did not suffer virtually any damage.
You cowards never fight face to face in Gaza, I was present during some Israeli offensives in Gaza and Israel was rarely in direct confrontation. It's all artillery bombing high intensity attacks with little ground movement.

This time they learned your cowardly tactics and try again to enter Gaza you will be buried right there.
Actually its the opposite. Tactics of IDF is breach holes in walls so infantry could come through them and enter close combat. Because in close combat Gaza clowns have no chance vs professional soldiers.

Hamas knows it thats why they buy huge China underground factory scopes for their rifles and try to snipe from distance.

Thats just one spot in Jenin. Other neighborhoods of Jenin, all other towns and hundreds of villages did not suffer virtually any damage.

Actually its the opposite. Tactics of IDF is breach holes in walls so infantry could come through them and enter close combat. Because in close combat Gaza clowns have no chance vs professional soldiers.

Hamas knows it thats why they buy huge China underground factory scopes for their rifles and try to snipe from distance.

you just send the message by crushing this "one spot in Jenin" to other neighborhoods of Jenin ....

Kurds have always made bad decisions throughout history.

Everything you mention comes after massive bombing. I've witnessed it myself, and your soldiers aren't that great at close combat either. They're very well equipped. If Hamas could get a hold of modern rifles and equipment and plenty of ammo, ground warfare would be a nightmare for Israel. Nightmare from the Israeli perspective which is losing over a hundred soldiers.

Here

Everything you mention comes after massive bombing. I've witnessed it myself,
There was no bombing when we captured the West Bank in 2002, even in that spot in Jenin it was bulldozers who did the job.

and your soldiers aren't that great at close combat either. They're very well equipped. If Hamas could get a hold of modern rifles and equipment and plenty of ammo, ground warfare would be a nightmare for Israel. Nightmare from the Israeli perspective which is losing over a hundred soldiers.
Hamas does not lack finances and has no problem to get rifles (AK is fine actually). Hamas has tandem warhead RPGs, plenty of sniper rifles, ATGMs, MANPADs.... But I never seen Hamas with red dot sights which are best for close combat. Every Hamas who wants to be cool buys himself a huge 8x scope which is useless in close combat.

In IDF on the other hand red dot is standard. In fact IDF was the first army in the world who had it standard.

There was no bombing when we captured the West Bank in 2002, even in that spot in Jenin it was bulldozers who did the job.

Oh yes there was, from apaches and occasional F16 strikes. They went in with tanks as well. Much artillery bombing. But, I was referring to Gaza. Strictly discussing the general Israeli strategy and not about 2002. Israel now realizes that strategy will fail, so they have taken a different approach lately to crackdown on Palestinians.

Hamas does not lack finances and has no problem to get rifles (AK is fine actually).

The military wing has some finances, although it's about .005% of your annual military budget. AK is not decent in intense combat unless you have well trained men. In close combat the low rate of fire is a problem going up against M4/M16 DMR and other variants.

Most of the AK in Gaza is Egyptian/Iranian. Not the most decent ones.

Hamas has tandem warhead RPGs,

They have an okay amount.

plenty of sniper rifles

No they don't, snipers are limited in Gaza.

, ATGMs, MANPADs....

Very limited number in Gaza. At most in Gaza manpads don't exceed a few dozen or more and they aren't useful unless there's a ground invasion.

But I never seen Hamas with red dot sights which are best for close combat.

They can't get them.

Every Hamas who wants to be cool buys himself a huge 8x scope which is useless in close combat.

Not many have scopes there. And they aren't 8x, most of them are old M16a2 colt scopes which the US gave to the PA. I've held these scopes myself and they are okay for medium combat.

In IDF on the other hand red dot is standard. In fact IDF was the first army in the world who had it standard.

A lot of Golani use acog scopes, most use holographic sights. I don't about your army in combat, but in regular patrol they usually use stock sights.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom