What's new

Kudankulam Nuclear plant safe: Kalam

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Kudankulam Nuclear plant safe: Kalam

The former President, A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, on Sunday visited the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project (KKNPP) and asserted that there was no need for any panic as it had state-of-the-art safety features.

At the same time, Mr. Kalam made it clear that he had not come as an emissary of the Union government and would not be a mediator between the nuclear establishment and protesters opposing the plant.

“I am completely satisfied and happy with the sophisticated safety features of the reactors and hence there is no need for panic since it's only a boon to the future generation,” he told journalists here after inspecting the reactors for over an hour.

Mr. Kalam said the visit was out of his own interest. He sought to dispel the impression that the Centre had sent him to neutralise the ongoing protest. He met a group of KKNPP supporters in the afternoon, and said he was prepared to meet the protesters' representatives also.

“However, I won't be a mediator since I am not the Centre's emissary. I'm a scientist, I'm a technologist. I support nuclear energy along with solar and wind power as it is a clean and green energy which is very much required for the country's rapid growth now… ” The two 1,000-MWe VVER reactors are being constructed at Kudankulam with Russian assistance at an outlay of Rs. 13,171 crore.

The former President said structural and the mechanical safety systems made the reactors the safest in the nuclear industry across the globe.

The reactors, placed at a secure height of over 13.50 metres, would not be affected even by a tsunami. Nor would an earthquake threaten them, as Kudankulam was not within any seismic zone. “The scientists have taken into account all these natural calamities before designing and fabricating it,” he noted.

While 99 per cent of the spent fuel would be processed for reuse in the reactors, the remaining one per cent would be converted and protected within a thickly walled underground concrete containment. “No waste from the reactor will be dumped in the sea,” Mr. Kalam said.

Nuclear Power Corporation Chairman and Managing Director S.K. Jain and KKNPP Site Director M. Kasinath Balaji were present during Mr. Kalam's press conference.

Protesters disappointed

However, those opposing the project expressed disappointment and anguish over his unequivocal support for the nuclear plant. The post-Fukushima scenario had opened up a global debate on the credibility of reactors. Even as many countries were taking steps to scrap their nuclear programmes, it was sad that a renowned scientist like Mr. Kalam was backing the project, they said.

“We expected that Mr. Kalam will visit those protesting against the plant and those on fast. However, after interacting with a team of KKNPP supporters, he left Kudankulam without coming to our place [the protest venue at Idinthakarai],” said S.P. Udhayakumar, coordinator of the struggle committee.

On Mr. Kalam's assertion that the safety features incorporated in the reactors were satisfactory, Dr. Udhayakumar said Belgium had decided to close down seven reactors after realising the risks involved in nuclear programmes.

The KKNPP “will certainly wipe out several southern districts of Tamil Nadu and neighbouring Kerala in case of any mishap,” he claimed.

The Hindu : States / Tamil Nadu : Kudankulam plant safe: Kalam

These Anti-Kudankulam protests are led by certain vested interests and the common man is falling prey to them.

What more can they ask if a man of the calibre of Dr.Abdul Kalam vouches for its safety ?

Its time to crack the whip.

These Anti-Kudankulam protests are led by certain vested interests and the common man is falling prey to them.

What more can they ask if a man of the calibre of Dr.Abdul Kalam vouches for its safety ?

Its time to crack the whip.

Where were this people when the reactors were being built. Now when its close to commissioning, they want it shut down. Who will repay the billions spent on this reactors?

The ones against development are up against it.

Lots of regional politics.

these protesters are protesting against there development and people complain we do not do enough for the poor. :no:

Shoot them in the head and get over it......Those fasting there are just a bunch of politically motivated illiterate B******s. So it is useless to sit and talk to them.

The plant is even important for the power hungry Kerala. Hope it done soon.

Shoot them in the head and get over it......Those fasting there are just a bunch of politically motivated illiterate B******s. So it is useless to sit and talk to them.

illiterate?????? the literacy rate there is the highest in the country.
They are not politically motivated rather its due to livelihood as majority of them are involved in fishing in those area. Many villagers are asked to vacate their village and migrate somewhere else without any help from government so now tell me what should they do???????? Besides you should know well about south tamilnadu people......you think bullet will scare them..
watch your language

It's amazing how easily pollution spewing, river diverting, thermal power plants that don't just capture land they are commissioned on but also ruin the area for kilometers around them get approved without protests, while Nuclear power plants that are state of the art and environmentally safe face such protests!! I doubt if any of the supporters even know what a nuclear power plant does. Someone may have showed them gory images of nuclear fallouts etc etc and created a prejudice that's going to stay irrespective of what the practical truth is.

The plant is even important for the power hungry Kerala. Hope it done soon.

fisher folks from Kerala (near thiruvanathapuram) are coming and staying in fast as their livelihood will be destroyed for your kind info.

If they would have an iota of the understanding about the security issues, they could have been dealt with rationally. They(protestors) can't even appreciate why certain countries like Germany are giving up nuclear power or why certain countries like Japan are reviewing its policy towards it. They are just terrified due to their ignorance. And those opportunist political leaders are taking advantage of that... what a pity situation !!

They are not politically motivated rather its due to livelihood as majority of them are involved in fishing in those area. Many villagers are asked to vacate their village and migrate somewhere else without any help from government so now tell me what should they do???????? Besides you should know well about south tamilnadu people......you think bullet will scare them..
watch your language

I suppose a mega thermal power plant or acres of land acquired for wind power (both of which would have vllages migrate) would help!

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 AM ----------

If they would have an iota of the understanding about the security issues, they could have been dealt with rationally. They(protestors) can't even appreciate why certain countries like Germany are giving up nuclear power or why certain countries like Japan are reviewing its policy towards it. They are just terrified due to their ignorance. And those opportunist political leaders are taking advantage of that... what a pity situation !!
Germany is connected to the Euro grid which draws a lot of its power from Nuclear plants anyways. Germany is also able to harness wind its share of power from the Arctic ocean (their windmills are in the sea not the land). Japan is forced to review because it lies on the ring of fire. Even then it isnt giving up all its plants.
Every country needs a custom solution. Its either thermal or nuclear. Upto us to decide.

Where were this people when the reactors were being built. Now when its close to commissioning, they want it shut down. Who will repay the billions spent on this reactors?

there are two caste people protesting against this nuclear plant.
1. Fishing people community
2. Farmers and traders community

This plant has took almost 20 years to get built. All this while when fishing people protested (which didn come in media) the traders stayed away as business was good due to the workers building the plant bought their provision from these people but now after completion they have asked those villagers to vacate the village(Kudankulam-its not a village but a bustling town) for safety purpose.

The vested interested gounder is taking about is the accusation RSS is putting on these villagers (Fishing folks are Christians, Traders are Hindus) that foreign vested power are influencing the protest (supported by state and central govt to influence people's perception against these protesters).

watch your language

Provision of amenities in villages that have provided land, annuities to families that have given their land and rehabilitation grants for jobless labourers have already been proposed.

Their concern is whether the Japan scene will happen and are rallying behind political parties who seeks mileage.

The areas of south Thirunelveli has plenty of barren lands ( already rehabs happened for wind mills nearby) and the area from National highway 176 to Valiyoor can be better utilised.

watch your language

Am from Chennai and trust me I have enough contacts in political circles and my uncle served as the Finance secretary of the state...I pretty well know what is going on and where bags and papers move. And Kalpakkam also has a fishing port beside it and I dont see anyone complaining there. Those villagers were given proper settlements and they didnt want to move. Remember we are facing acute power shortage that is going to increase very soon.

hstlro.jpg

r21.gif

You can see the Marakkanam port near the IGCAR.

Back
Top Bottom