What's new

Kerry Lugar Scam: The money will not be spent

buraq

New Recruit

Reaction score
$1.5 billion of civilian aid promised to Pakistan this year by the US is a sham. Only $300 - $500 million of this will be spent this year and the rest of $1.0-1.2 billion will be returned to the United States Treasury.

The problem: Americans don't have the capacity to spend money that fast. According to American appropriation rules it's a use it or loose it deal. If the allocated money is not spent it gets returned to the US treasury. Unfortunately, the Pakistani leadership sold out for too little. They fell for the American headline promise of $7.5bn which even before the bill was passed most experts knew full well will never be delivered.

According to the Congressional Budget Office's (CBO) assessment last summer of the original draft of the Kerry Lugar Bill only $300 million out of the $1.5 billion (20%) appropriated for Pakistan will actually be delivered to Pakistan this year. [the board will not let me post a link but google: s.962 cbo cost estimate]

Dawn highlighted this in the following article where US officials have indicated that at best Pakistan can expect $500 million. [can't post a link google: DAWN Lack of coordination delaying Kerry-Lugar funds]

I think Pakistani media should start highlighting this betrayal. Pakistani Government has greater capacity limitations that the United States Government. Pakistani's have probably not kept all their promises to the United States in this quid pro quo arrangement. But making a promise of this proportion and then not delivering on it weakens Pakistan's capacity significantly and makes the United states look just as bad as the Pakistanis.

India is clearly manipulating our politicians.

Allow me to help you if you'll help us and post some intro data about your in the member introductions thread at the top of the page. Fair enough?

Now, because TRUST is so often the issue, consider this a down payment on that American aid-

Enhanced Partnership With Pakistan Act-Congressional Budget Office June 16, 2009

"I think Pakistani media should start highlighting this betrayal..."

Department of Redundancy says that's what the Pakistani media has started to do...:rolleyes:

Remember?

Lack Of Coordination Delaying K-L Funds-DAWN Jan. 15, 2010

"But making a promise of this proportion and then not delivering on it weakens Pakistan's capacity significantly..."

Never expend capital based on promises. Might expedite the visas of those auditors that have been held up by your Ministry of Foreign Affairs. That'll help move matters along.

Best answer is to decline all aid from America forthwith.:agree:

Leave big goobers in the declination letter so when Hillary opens it up it'll be all slimy and yukky too.

Oh! Do we get credit for self-reporting our betrayal?

Now say howdy to all of your newest and bestest buddies here at def.pk.:)

Thanks.:usflag:

I am sure the visas are an issue, but the CBO report is from June even before the bill was passed. It shows that US never expected to spend all the money. From a Pakistani perspective, I would be really mad since i was selling my cooperation for $7.5billion but in the end I only got 60% of that. Moral of the story: If you are going to sellout at least collect the full payment.

Last edited:
dude we're getting the money for free. Even if we don't get the money we'd have to fight TTP.

dude we're getting the money for free. Even if we don't get the money we'd have to fight TTP.

Are you kidding me? For every one billion Pak gets for fighting the war, we've lost 5-7 billion in economic activities. No more Foreign investments or major developmental projects, heck cricket has suffered, its really sad and pathetic.

Are you kidding me? For every one billion Pak gets for fighting the war, we've lost 5-7 billion in economic activities. No more Foreign investments or major developmental projects, heck cricket has suffered, its really sad and pathetic.

it is mate but the TTP aren't americas problem. They're our problem so regardless of the aid its us who have to go up against these guys and frankly im against this entire idea of "aid". If someone would ask me that whats the single big reason for all the woes of Pakistan id say "American Aid". They use this aid to enable our politicians to stay in charge and dig this country further into the ditch. I get your point though and i think i didn't word my statement right, but the message is that no more aid lets do this on our own. Its our fight lets pawn these fags

it is mate but the TTP aren't americas problem. They're our problem so regardless of the aid its us who have to go up against these guys and frankly im against this entire idea of "aid". If someone would ask me that whats the single big reason for all the woes of Pakistan id say "American Aid". They use this aid to enable our politicians to stay in charge and dig this country further into the ditch. I get your point though and i think i didn't word my statement right, but the message is that no more aid lets do this on our own. Its our fight lets pawn these fags

Yea, i think you didnt word your statement properly. It's all good and i agree with your view.

Actually I predicted this a while ago that we're never going to get 7.5 billion dollars, the figure is just to lure our greedy politicians and some generals into accepting the deals, and thats about it. The U.S. has hardly ever lived up to their promises, record speak for itself.

But the question is, if we're going to object US aid, then we'd have to object to the US presence and plans in the region, too. Because so long as they're in Afghanistan, i can only see an increase in problems for internal and external security of Pakistan.

It's a huge dilemma for Pakistan. How to go about fixing it?

Nothing is free...

Anybody who has had an iota of life experience would tell you the same.

Already Robert Gates complains "Why is anti-Americanism rising despite all this aid?".

Say hello to our sugar daddies!

This money is pay off to Zardari and Zardari alone. I think Americans must've figured out that 300 Mil are enough for Zardari, don't need to go all out and spend the billions.

I seriously laugh at Americans when they make the excuse that they can't figure out a way to spend the money in Pakistan. In Pakistan there are a million way to make money if you have money. Perhaps more than in America as well.

I'll give you one example. Invest in Pakistan's National Saving certificates. These are bonds with a maturity date of 10 years. They give returns at a compounding rate of 12.5% per annum. Meaning, if they poured in 300,000 rps today, after 10 years they'd get like 1,000,000 rps.

Buy 1 certificate every year. The poor guy would then get a return of 1,000,000 rps every year after 10 years. Reinvest the 300,000 rps back out of those 1,000,000. The poor guy is now set to make 50,000+ every month which is more than what most poor folks make in a month.

Not to mention in this way the money has triple ownership, it has accountability, and hence less chances of moneybeing eaten away.

With $1.5 Bn, Poverty can be cured in Pakistan if there was any seriousness behind it! But its all bribe money.

Nothing is free...

Anybody who has had an iota of life experience would tell you the same.

Already Robert Gates complains "Why is anti-Americanism rising despite all this aid?".

Say hello to our sugar daddies!

This money is pay off to Zardari and Zardari alone. I think Americans must've figured out that 300 Mil are enough for Zardari, don't need to go all out and spend the billions.

i did explain all that in my second post m8, regardless pakistan needs to get out of this "american dream" it has gotten itself warped in

does it mean the TTP is not your enemy in reality and you use it to gain something from americans? The truth is that Bush was so thick and gave the money with no question asked, but Barak Hussien Obama wants something in return.

does it mean the TTP is not your enemy in reality and you use it to gain something from americans? The truth is that Bush was so thick and gave the money with no question asked, but Barak Hussien Obama wants something in return.

Its their created mess, so they have no right to ask any questions, nor is there any need for them to give us money. End result, they shouldn't ask us do more.

Its their created mess, they should clean it up with their Afghan brothers.

Back
Top Bottom