What's new

Kashmir to have metro rail

Paan Singh

BANNED
Reaction score
Jammu and Kashmir is on its way to join a rare club of states offering tube services for commuters.
The government has approached the country’s top-notch consultancy company RITES for introduction of Metro Rail in twin cities of Srinagar and Jammu.

“The RITES group has been asked to prepare a comprehensive mobility plan for the capital cities of Jammu and Srinagar taking into account all aspects of mobility, including pedestrians, covering long term and short term measures to overcome traffic congestion and introduction of metro rail,” said transport minister Qamar Ali Akhoon in a written reply to question raised on traffic menace by MLA Chaman Lal Gupta.

According to official figures, 3,927 people were killed in 17276 road accidents across the state in the last three years. Around 25,609 survived fatal accidents.

In 2010, Jammu witnessed 192 deaths in 1,682 accidents. In 2011, there were 190 deaths in 1,627 road accidents as 131 persons were killed in 1085 accidents in the first eight months of 2012.

Jammu has highest number of vehicles at 33,353 compared to all other districts of the state.

Around 12,132 vehicles were registered in Srinagar in 2010 and it’s 17,234 for 2011, according to the government figures. In the first eight months of this year 6,732 vehicles have been registered in Srinagar alone.

Kashmir is witnessing phenomenal rise of vehicles’ registration. The state’s overall registration of fresh vehicles stands at 80,670 and 98,804 for year 2011 and 2012 respectively.
The transport minister said the department has employed 207 under-lift arrangements for lifting vehicles blocking roads.

“The traffic police have installed delineators, traffic cones and road dividers in the twin cities to discipline the drivers,” said Akhoon.

Kashmir to have metro rail to curb traffic: govt - Hindustan Times

They don't need metro rail. A light rail would be more suitable for Jammu and Srinagar.

Awsome, the process has been initiated, should see cons getting started with a few yrs.

The kind of tourist revenue J&K brings in - it's not a bad idea - the state needs some infrastructure in place and owing to constant snow in's underground metro would be ideal.

Incredibly stupid to say the least.

There are many more cities which need metro more urgently than Sri Nagar.

It doesn't mean that if Sri Nagar is getting one, we are sacrifising another city. All major cities of India currently have metros in advanced stages of cons. Cons in tier 2 cities is about to begin anytime. This is a massive urban modernisation plan and I think Sri Nagar should be a part of it.

Good if thats really happening..but I am sure there is no real need of that in that region...atleast now.

Another target for the terrorists...

It doesn't mean that if Sri Nagar is getting one, we are sacrifising another city. All major cities of India currently have metros in advanced stages of cons. Cons in tier 2 cities is about to begin anytime. This is a massive urban modernisation plan and I think Sri Nagar should be a part of it.

Dude as far as I know only Delhi, Mumbai, B'lore and Chennai have metros or are in the process of building one.

There was a 2011 news which says the population cut-off for a city having metro would be 20 lakhs (2 million).

NEW DELHI: Commuters in cities that have population of more than 20 lakhs can look forward to more comfortable and safer rides, if state governments are willing to opt for modern Metro network for intra-city travel.

The Union urban development ministry has decided to consider the proposal for Metro in Tier II cities like Lucknow, Kanpur, Patna, Jaipur, Ahmedabad, Pune, Surat, Indore, Nagpur, Kochi, Coimbatore, Kozhikode. The Metro fever is catching up in smaller cities, thanks largely to the success of Delhi Metro. Cities like Chandigarh, Ludhiana and Bhopal are making a case for Metro, even though they don't qualify because of the population cut-off.

Not sure which city in J&K has more than 20 lakh population or what criteria is used to sanction metro there.

As far as I can see it is just another of those appeasement packages pumped into J&K at the cost of more deserving cities. If only we would spend a fraction of what we uselessly pump into Kashmir on the North Eastern states, there would not be so much alienation among them from the mainland. They are the people who feel alienated solely due to economy, lack of infra and jobs. The alienation in Kashmir has many more angles that is not possible to bridge. That is my frank view.

Back
Top Bottom