What's new

Kashmir | News & Discussions.

So, is new media only reinforcing old stereotypes?

• Total voters
I did say all.

But the situation as we have it today, India has an occupation force whose raping statistics speak for themselves.

You're right about the Punjabi Pakistani Army raping Bengalis. But you're lying about the Indian army and a statistics that does not exist. Hell, the state is open to tourists even from abroad. :lol:

Trauma Of Daily Violence In Jammu And Kashmir Telling Upon Mental Health

Ravaged by conflict, traumatized by lack of accountability and strangled by social taboos, people in Jammu and Kashmiri have been both witness to and victims of violence which has had a significant effect on their mental health. While a sustainable political solution to "K" problem seems far away, psychological wounds inflicted by violence and impunity on the Kashmiri society continue to increase and go well beyond socio-economic problems.

Studies and survey's conducted by various reputed organizations and institutes have confirmed that Psychological problems have been increasing in Jammu and Kashmir. According to one survey conducted by state mental health society (SMHS), around 80,000 people from Kashmir valley visited various mental health professionals during the year 2005-2006 and nearly three-fourths were diagnosed with serious psychological disorders. This represents an over twenty percent increase from 2005 and reveals that the emotional and mental damage caused by the conflict continues to surge.

A survey report on Jammu and Kashmir by a Holland-based humanitarian group M‚decins Sans FrontiŠres (MSF) maintains that a third of its respondents suffered from psychological distress. Nearly one in 10 people reported having lost one or more members of their immediate family due to violence in the period from 1989-2005. The survey reported that almost half ( 48.1%) of the respondents said they felt only occasionally or never safe.

It also indicated that violence or the threat of physical violence seems to have had a significant effect on the mental health of people. It revealed that respondents suffered from high levels of anxiety such as nervousness, tension and extensive worrying.

The survey stated that a substantial number of people interviewed by them admitted to having thoughts about ending their life (33.9%). "Such a high percentage of suicidal tendencies within a population holding strong religious beliefs that condemn the act of suicide, is a worrying indicator of the level of despair and hopelessness in which people in Jammu and Kashmir are living," stressed a neurologist.

The survey also indicated high rates of physical complaints including headaches (23.5%), body pains such as joint and back complaints (20.5%), and abdominal complaints (16.9%). It reported that poor health placed a substantial burden on the area's health facilities, with most people saying they visit health clinics frequently ( 63.9%); some even four times or more. Medicine consumption was also high, with over one-third taking six or more medicines in the previous 30 days (37.9%).

According to MSF, Interviewees reported witnessing (73.3%) and directly experiencing themselves ( 44.1%), physical and psychological mistreatment, such as humiliation and threats thus causing extensive damage to their psychological health. A shocking finding of the survey was that torture appeared to be widespread suggesting that a strategy of intimidation and fear has been employed by army and paramilitary forces.

Maintaining that sexual violence has impinged upon the mental health of people in Jammu and Kashmir more than physical violence, the survey reported that sexual violence has been used as a common strategy to intimidate people in conflict. 11.6% of interviewees said they had been victims of sexual violence since 1989. Almost two-thirds of the people interviewed (63.9%) by MSF had heard over a similar period about cases of rape, while one in seven had witnessed rape.

The worst hit have been the children among whom the major effect of the violence reported in this survey has been fear (24.6%). School-related problems also scored highly, such as being unable to attend school ( 15.5%) and having problems studying ( 16.3%) due to the lack of professional teachers and study material.

Respondents told the surveyors that people deal with stress by isolating themselves (22.3%) or becoming aggressive (16%). They further informed them that talking confidentially to someone they trust is helpful when confronted with tension ( 89.4%). It is essentially this survey which brought out the real picture of the mental health of people in Jammu and Kashmir. The findings of the survey revealed a bleak picture of the mental health of people in the conflict-afflicted region and raised important questions about the government's failure to adequately provide mental health services to the population.

Overburdened, understaffed, and in-demand, this is the state of mental health care in Kashmir. The Psychiatric Diseases Hospital at Kaathi Darwaza is the only refuge for mental patients in Kashmir, and its doctors, facilities, and supplies have long been grossly inadequate. According to one report, records from the out-patient department (OPD) of Srinagar's Hospital for Psychiatric Diseases show that more than 300 people arrive every day.

It stated that most self-admitting patients are women aged between 16 to 25. Because of the social stigma associated with psychological disorders, doctors believe that no more than 10 percent of those in need of psychiatric care are actually approaching the hospital. One outcome of this under-treated trauma is an increase in teenage girl suicides.

According to another report published in a local daily, 19-year-old Jameela witnessed her aunt being killed while working in the kitchen and later also witnessed a shootout in her locality. With no history of psychiatric problems, she began suffering from post-traumatic stress disorders: recurrent, intrusive and distressing recollection of the events, marked irritability, outbursts of anger, difficulty in concentrating, sleeplessness, sadness, and disinterest in all social, domestic and college activities. Following a minor altercation with her sister, she consumed pesticide and ended her life.

A statistical report of the state health and medical education department revealed that on an average, two to three cases of attempted suicide are admitted into Srinagar's two main hospitals on regular basis. A large number of people from the villages die on the way or in local health centers.

Psychologists maintain that people living at a place ravaged by conflict are often faced with a number of Psychological problems. They say that the physical environment in which people live and survive has a direct bearing on their mental health. "Stress caused by feelings of insecurity and dependency can deplete physical and psychological buoyancy leading to varied mental problems, this has happened in most of the cases in Jammu and Kashmir," said Dr.Adarsh Bhargav He maintained that crackdowns, frisking by security forces and round-up raids in villages have a deep impact on the mental health of the people. "When you find yourself in the middle of a situation where your movement gets restricted, where you have to follow orders, where you are abused and humiliated, where your imaginations fail to take a flight and where your identity always remains a suspect, you are bound to suffer from Psychological disorders," added the young practicing Psychologist.

A young neurologist Dr.Nida who is presently doing her masters from a reputed institute in Delhi maintained that since 1990, the number of mental patients in Kashmir Valley have increased from 1500 to nearly 1 Lakh in 2006.

"Around 60 to 70 percent of these patients are suffering from depression, bipolar disorder or schizophrenia; all of these disorders are of serious nature, apart from these problems, there are many other psychological complications associated with violence which can be easily noticed among the people in Kashmir valley," added Dr.Nida.

She maintained that situation has come to a stage where people feel so unsafe that they prefer staying in hospital than going home. Increasing psychological and neurological problems among the people in Jammu and Kashmir begs further discussion of the continuing situation of impunity in Kashmir for those who perpetrate acts of terror and violence without any fear of being caught and held accountable. Until this atmosphere of impunity is not addressed, psychological problems are bound to increase.

Writer is a journalist, presently working with jammu and kashmir's largest circulated daily and highly reputed daily "The Kashmir Times". He can be contacted at syedjunaidhashmi@gmail.com

http://www.countercurrents.org/hashmi200607.htm

Simmer Discontent

By Syed Ali Safvi

The sun of July 13, 1931 confirmed the truth in Margaret Mead's saying, "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

On that fateful day, thousands of Kashmiris had gheroed the Srinagar central jail demanding an open trial of a youth, Abdul Qadeer, who was tried for 'sedition'. His crime: pointing his finger to the Maharaja's Palace in protest against the desecration of the Holy Quran at the hands of Dogra troops in Jammu.

The Dogra governer, Ray Zada Chand, in order to disperse the crowd, ordered his soldiers to open fire. The scene that followed was no less horrific and horrendous than the Jallianwala Bagh Massacre. In a matter of few seconds, twenty one protestors were left lying in a pool of blood and many more were seriously injured.

Kashmiris have, throughout their history, been at the receiving end only. The history of Kashmir is replete with incidents of inhumane and tyrannical oppression of the dejected Kashmiris by the rulers. Be it the Mughals, the Afghans, the Sikhs or the Dogras, a common Kashmiri has never found solace.

These rulers treated them merely as scapegoats and any voice of dissent would be severely strangulated. During the reign of King Unmattawati (939-944 AD), the king ripped the abdomen of a pregnant woman to see the foetus. One of the Afghan rulers, Azad Khan, raped, plundered and killed the innocent Kashmiris like a maniac.He slit the stomach of a doctor when the latter failed to cure his eye ailment.

When Zulchu (Zulfi Khan or Zulaji) invaded Kashmir, his soldiers resorted to indiscriminate killings, bloodbath, plundering beyond all limits. They carried out wholesale massacre of Kashmiris, killing everyone who fell into their hands. One of the Dogra rulers, Ranjit Singh, never visited Kashmir, but solicited women and taxes from the valley.

The Dogra rule, arguably, was the darkest period in the history of Kashmir. Such was the degree of oppression that Kashmiris were skinned alive for speaking against the Maharaja. The incident that took place outside the Srinagar Central jail on the fateful day of July 13, 1931 was nothing new for Kashmiris but it provided the much-needed impetus to the anti Dogra sentiments in the valley.

However, most of the freedom fighters who fought for the complete freedom of Kashmir from the tyrannical, oppressive and autocratic rule of the Dogras have remained by and large unsung in the pages of history. Courtesy: The Successful regimes of Kashmir Politics and the so called political interest of their spin doctors.

It's a travesty of justice that we do not have a single building, road, hospital or any other public infrastructure named after any of our freedom fighters who laid down their lives only that we could breathe in the ambience of freedom, peace and tranquility; where we would not be forced to pay tax to live on our own soil. Instead of commemorating them, we have roads, colleges, public parks named after the Dogra rulers who had been cruel and savage.In their rule, Kashmiris simmered in the smoldering fire. in return, that is what our state has given to the martyrs! It is, nonetheless,'never less than mortifying and humiliating both the denizens of the state and for the state itself.

In 1983, the then chief minister Farooq Abdullah inaugurated a bridge at Rambagh named after one of the freedom fighters, Mohammad Sultan Khan alias Sula Galdar. Unfortunately, during the heydays of the armed struggle, a rocket hit the stone plaque on the bridge and completely destroyed it. The administration did not deem it necessary to replace the stone plaque.Instead, the hole, caused by the blast, was plugged in with cement.

If every nation would 'honour' its freedom fighters the way our governments do, sincerely,the world would no longer produce the likes of Mandelas, Gandhis, Khomeinis, etc. Every year on July 13, we remember our martyrs, but are we really doing justice to their memory and role? Do we respect and honour their neverlasting sentiments and resilience towards saving our motherland.

(The writer can be reached at syedalisafvi@gmail.com)

http://countercurrents.org/safvi300707.htm

'Instructor in the art of killing'

A young soldier recently stationed in Indian-administered Kashmir describes the feelings of soldiers braving the cold at high altitudes as they wait to intercept militants. We have to go out, again. It is not easy going out night after night but I cannot really help feeling the debilitating effects of the cold.

Our group comprises two different sets of people. One has the newcomers in it, the load carriers, who are being introduced to this kind of terrain and this way of operation. They are young boys from 18 to 22 years old. Then there are the old timers, men who have served their time here and are familiar with the surroundings and must be good since they have survived this long.

Tedious
I am a newcomer, not to this kind of operation but to this kind of terrain.

I slowly become accustomed to the cold, devise methods to ward off sleep, and have also begun to decipher shadows in the night, separating the real from the imaginary. When we do kill somebody, we rejoice and dance and hug each other

It is quite tedious going out in the cold waiting, hoping for him to come out of nowhere... So that we can kill him. Every experienced soldier has a young one with him as his buddy. I also have a young boy with me. He is just a few months older than 19, comes from a family of farmers somewhere in central India, and joined the army to provide them with a livelihood.

I teach him the tricks of the trade: what to carry, what not to carry, how to wear his shoes so that they do not cut him, how many layers of clothing to wear so that we can remain warm and still not hindered when we want to move fast, what position to wait in so that we do not tire very fast, how to aim and fire so that the enemy may not escape... And many other seemingly trivial details.

But when you are in a life and death situation, attention to detail can save lives - it could be the difference between this young man retuning home to see his family again or him returning home dead.

I had always thought that I would enjoy teaching - but that was when I was thinking about teaching English literature. Here I am, teaching a young boy barely out of his teens how to kill - without fear, without pity, without remorse - just the way I was taught.

'Art of killing'
After sometime the higher cause becomes obscure. After sometime you just start accepting the fact that every night we go out like primitive hunters hoping for a kill - it becomes a very natural thing to do, part of the routine.

When we do kill somebody, we rejoice and dance and hug each other and pose with the dead body as if it was some trophy to be shown off. But we stop being human. Soldiers have to be ever-watchful for militant attacks As I sit there in the night, waiting... I think to myself 'how did it all come to this?'

From a young boy who wanted to teach English literature, how did I end up becoming an instructor in the art of killing?

Since when did death stop affecting me, when did I become so numb? I do not know... No answer comes.
What I do know is that somewhere along the line I made decisions in life which have resulted me being here... In the dark, in the jungle, in the cold... Waiting...

The soldier wished to remain anonymous.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6660951.stm

A good story.

No wonder the BBC was called Bluff Bluster Corporation!

This is hardly the sentiment that is displayed. It is the usual journalistic ploy of writing fiction that appeals and stating that the source wants to be anonymous!

There is no doubt, it is a sad task. Who likes killing anyone? Not me I assure you. But when it is someone else killing me, then maybe I can overcome the distaste and take action necessary even if it is day in and day out.

It is cold. It is lonely. But then the Army life is no bed of roses! Ask those SSG chaps at Lal Majzid. Did they like doing what they did? NO. But then, if they did not do it, their country's stability would go for a six. And the enemies of Pakistan would rip its innards!

A tough decision. But a decision where the love of one's country (and thus all citizens of the country) is pitted with the basic instinct being a human being with love for all including traitors and the enemy!

The Lal Mazjid chaps were traitors to the stability of Pakistan!

Kashmiris want Peace, Azadi

by Amit Chakraborty

Almost all Srinagar residents want peace, azadi, and an end to the authoritarianism of Indian forces. AMIT CHAKRABORTY, who observed the recently-concluded elections in J&K, explains why the polls were a farce, and how the will of the people is being muzzled

The results of the Jammu & Kashmir assembly election were declared almost a fortnight back. But as yet the state government could not come into being. The major parties like NC, PDP and Congress, none having the absolute majority in terms of seats won under their banner; claim that they have the mandate from the people of Jammu & Kashmir to form the government. Yet despite their claims, they all know in their hearts that it is far from the reality.

During the third and fourth phase of election, I had the opportunity to be a watcher in the election arena as a member of the team of 'independent election observers' formed by the J&K Coalition for Civil Society. During my stay in Srinagar, for more than a week, I conducted a survey on the basis of random sampling spread over all the 10 constituencies of Srinagar district, commensurate with the demographic composition of the population of Srinagar district as per the 2001 Census. The result that I gathered diminishes the claims of all the frontrunners, staking their claims to form the government, to naught. In Srinagar the NC enjoys the support of only 2.54 per cent of the voting population (i.e., people over the age of 18). The figures for Congress and PDP are respectively 1.70 and 0.85 per cent only.

How can that be when the establishment claimed that average polling in the J&K election was over 42 per cent and these major political parties mostly shared the votes polled? Well, in Srinagar district, 78 per cent of the population is urban. Because of media and election observers' activism, the urban voters could not be herded to polling booths to cast their votes.

But as has been reported about rural voters of Srinagar, and as we have witnessed ourselves in rural areas of Anantnag and Banihal Tehsil of Doda district, the voters were really made to vote by the Rashtriya Rifle forces. They used to enter the village on the pretext that they would provide security to the voting people against the alleged threat of the militants opposing the election. But it was the precise task of the RR personnel to herd people to the polling booth under the threat that if they could not show the indelible ink mark on their fingers they would have to face the music. We came across many people more interested in getting the mark on their fingers than in casting in votes. Thus the high polling percentage was reached. However, for Srinagar district, especially in the city area, even official records showed that the voter turnout was far below the general average.

Why were the people so averse to the election process? Of those interviewed for our survey, 89.84 per cent said the Assembly election was not the true process of choosing the representatives of peoples of Jammu & Kashmir. Only 6.78 per cent looked at the election in a positive manner and 5.08 per cent had any expectations from the electoral process.

Are not the people of Srinagar aware of the problems of Jammu & Kashmir? With the bruised heart and scar all over their body resulting from army and militants' excesses how can they close their eyes away from the day-to-day realities! To conduct the survey I went from place to place to meet the people in all the 10 constituencies of the district of Srinagar, including high-risk security zone areas. Nowhere was my identity challenged as I am from "India". But that of Gawhar Amin, a student from Kashmir University accompanying me through the survey exercise, was challenged on almost all occasions and frisked. Not was not I but he who was treated as an alien in his own land.

The Indian army picked up Shakeela Banno's husband some three years back. He is one in the list of disappeared persons running into thousands. She is hoping against hope for his return. Her husband was an auto driver. Before his disappearance, the couple led four years of conjugal life and had four children. Shakeela manages to maintain the family by fixing wrappers on the chocolates of the local vendors and labouring for household work door to door. When we asked her about the root cause of the problems of J&K she had hardly opined that it was the 'authoritarian, undemocratic and oppressive role of the Indian Government' in Jammu & Kashmir, before bursting into tears, murmuring, "all these things now bear no meaning in my life".

However, 25.42 per cent of the people interviewed also think in Shakeela's way. Of the rest, 22.03 per cent feel that 'it is the dispute between India and Pakistan over the possession of J&K'.' Another 26.27 per cent feel that the root cause is the 'contradiction between aspirations of the peoples of J&K and the possessive attitude of Indian government' while 17.80 per cent think that 'poverty, unemployment and illiteracy are the root cause of J&K problem'.

It is interesting to note that not even all the Hindus (Kashmiri Pandits) interviewed (4.24 per cent) consider 'subversive activities being perpetrated at the behest of Pakistan' as the root cause. Only 2.54 per cent of the total people interviewed think in that way.

How do Kashmiris believe the 'peace, prosperity and progress of J&K will be ensured and the democratic right of its people will be guaranteed'? Only 5.07 per cent consider merger with Pakistan as the solution, while 9.32 per cent believe the state should remain an integral part of India. But the vast majority - 83.90 per cent - look forward to sovereign and independent state of Jammu and Kashmir as the only solution.

What do these people mean by independence or 'Azadi'? A six-year-old boy from Safapora village in Baramulla district elucidated the term very nicely in his mother tongue. He said, "Azadi is the situation where there will be no military or militants, where the houses are not burnt, people are not killed and the women are not molested ('Aauraton ka sath badsaluki nehi hoti')". But to others, Azadi has a different meaning. The infuriated young people of Danwhadpora village in Kokernag constituency in the district of Anantnag were chanting slogans right before us when we went there to observe polling: "Hum chahtehen Azadi, Kashmir banega Pakistan".

It is the total alienation of the common people from the Indian state that has made the slogan of Azadi so popular. One of our friends, a lawyer from Srinagar said, "Set aside Pakistan, if there will be a cricket match between India and Israel, the No.1 enemy of the Muslim world, the people of Kashmir will support Israel, but not India". Such is the alienation!

The vast majority of the people (almost 90 per cent) are against partitioning Kashmir between India and Pakistan as per the actual Line of Control or of transferring Muslim majority areas to Pakistan while integrating the Hindu majority areas with India. An even larger segment - 91.53 per cent - of the people interviewed abhor the path of militancy or war as a solution of the Kashmir problem.

They are in favour of a peaceful movement and dialogue and they feel that the dialogue should be between governments of India, Pakistan and the peoples of Jammu & Kashmir. But interestingly, 57.63 per cent of the people interviewed have no faith in any of the political organisations active in Kashmir including the Hurriyat Conference. Hurriyat Conference enjoys the support of 35.59% of Srinagar residents who were interviewed. The majority of those surveyed opposed the election, as did Hurriyat; a majority of the people are also in favour of dialogue, as is Hurriyat. Even then Hurriyat does not enjoy majority support.

The problem is that Hurriyat is not a single political entity but a conglomeration of 23 political entities. Seven of them, as the executive members of the Conference, wield maximum control over the organisation. The political agenda of all these political outfits are not much particular and clear before the common people. When 83.90 per cent of the people are in favour of azadi, five of the seven executives of Hurriyat are in favour of merging with Pakistan. Though they have some faith in Hurriyat but the people are confused about the political mission of Hurriyat and know little about the parties that it comprises.

Finally, and foremost, the people of Srinagar strongly demand for restoration of normalcy. If normalcy is to be restored in Srinagar the issues raised by the peoples of Srinagar have to be addressed to by all the parties concerned.

(The author is national committee member, Pakistan-India Peoples' Forum of Peace and Democracy, and joint secretary, West Bengal chapter of the Forum.)

http://countercurrents.org/j&k-amit.htm

Xenophobia, Kashmiri style!

By Arjimand Hussain Talib

09 August, 2007
Kashmir Times

It is a Catch 22 kind of situation hardly ever seen in Kashmir's chequered history. Even as both militant groups as well as Syed Ali Shah Geelani have toned down their call to migrant laborers to leave Kashmir, hundreds of laborers and small business holders, most of whom are from north and north-eastern India, are packing up their bags for home. To the outside world, Kashmir today represents an addition to the long list of nations and ethnic groups that have engulfed themselves in the fires of xenophobia.

For a place like Kashmir, anything close to xenophobia, if not xenophobia per se, is a tragic irony in itself. For a tiny and powerless nation witnessing the worst kind of oppression and repression since ages now, the transformation of its image from the subjugated to the tyrant is cruelly unjust.

Kashmiris have always been thought as the last ones to be chauvinists. But why are today flocks of migrant laborers being driven out from the Valley? How did a people who are celebrated and cherished throughout the world for their warmth and hospitality are today feeling insecure and reacting?

If one were to remove one's jingoistic spectacles for a while we would see two simple but profound reasons. From a majority of 72.41 per cent in 1941 to 64.19 per cent of the total population as reported in 2001 census Muslims in Jammu & Kashmir are gripped by the constant fear of "demographic engineering" which might well reduce Muslims in Kashmir to a minority. The rate at which non-State subjects - Article 370 of the Indian Constitution notwithstanding - are able to get J&K's citizenship and have been able to dilute the original demographic medley here to the people of the State is alarming too. Although in theory Article 370 was supposed to be a guarantor of J&K's identity after its assimilation into the Indian Union, the ease with which non State-subjects can get land or other properties on a 90-year lease has also been a source of disquiet too.

But why is the anger directed towards poor laborers who will neither get a Permanent Resident Certificate (PRC), nor buy land on lease or become part of demographic engineering?
People today in Kashmir ask the question why did they come in such huge numbers in the first place?

The answers lie much beyond where most of the people are looking for today. The answers lie between the lines of the larger context of Kashmir 's political economy. Let us call spade a spade.

Since my childhood my father has told me interesting stories of Kashmir's former Prime Minister, G M Bakshi, who coincidentally was our close neighbor in our old family house in Srinagar's Chattabal area. What one understood from his stories and the history books is that after the imprisonment of Kashmir's popular leader - Sheikh Muhammad Abdullah - and the installation of Bakshi's puppet regime, the latter was given one single mandate: ingrain corruption into the blood veins of the Kashmiri people by first bribing them with government jobs and contracts, then dividing them and subsequently "winning over them."

So once during an on-the-spot compensation drive to houses being dismantled during a road widening operation in Srinagar city, when a Kashmiri Pandit got lesser compensation and asked Bakshi Sahab why it was so when his Muslim neighbor got better compensation, Bakshi's reply is said to have been more than an expression of his humorous wit, "Listen my dear! You are already an Indian. Your this neighbor demands Pakistan and my task is to make him an Indian. That is the reason he gets more."

More than four decades down the line, the same blood having been injected into Kashmiri veins is running in the veins of another generation of Kashmiris even today. What one could understand from history books, those were the times when the policy makers on Kashmir would find Kautilya's Arthshastras very handy in creating situation of "stability" here.

Apart from subsidies, the ruling political class was mandated to assimilate dissenting and the discontented voices into government services. That is what has actually happened. Living with a government job became the sole objective of an ordinary Kashmiri's life in both urban as well as rural areas. In the process all creative thinking and private enterprise was destroyed. A culture of mediocrity and workless ness took deep roots. Whenever some critical and creative thinking tried to take shape, the conditions so created in the whole political economy made them end up in the government system with a premature death note. In nutshell, it was a political economy which was designed to kill creative private enterprise and breed dependency. That is what explains why lakhs of skilled and unskilled laborers have flooded Kashmir as our own people wait for a government job until death and do not work. That is the reason that despite injecting this kind of government spending, Kashmir ends up back injecting more than double of the financial resources into the Indian economic system in the form of imports than what it gets in the form of so-called subsidies and liberal financial assistance.

In economics, it is said that when a society's living standards reach a certain degree of prosperity it sheds low income yielding jobs, explained by a backward slope curve. Is Kashmir on that curve now?

The vacuum created by the Kashmiris in the low-end odd-job segments was just all natural to be filled in by migrant laborers, because a vast majority of our educated and low educated segment was waiting for government jobs. Kashmir has a vibrant construction business. Did we have enough people to do the jobs there? Is the migrant inflow driven by demand or it is the supply which is driving the demand?

When Europe was in the midst of an economic boom after its industrial revolution, it opened the flood gates for immigrants - a huge chunk of whom were Muslims - to fill in the low-end jobs. Then it was mostly about having cheap labor, sparing the Europeans from doing the kind of low-end jobs which they abhorred. Several historians have written that then the Europeans - who were historically and culturally very conscious of their racial distinctiveness - would hardly bother about who and where the immigrants belonged to. Then it was hardly a concern that the immigrants were coming into Europe with a big cultural baggage and belief systems, which finally went to alter Europe's cultural and religious mosaic to a good extent. Many radical European parties and ideologues - like the British Nationalist Party (BNP) in Britain - today deplore the open-gate policy to the non-European immigrants. These immigrants - mostly Muslims and South Asians - are today a significant racial and religious grouping in Europe.

But no matter what, the cultural costs, the economic imperatives in all countries and the inevitable realities of globalisation make almost all societies accept immigrants today. Although countries like Australia have taken very radical positions on immigration now, on occasions even letting ship loads of immigrants and refugees vanish in the seas, the fact is that legal immigration to Australia is a reality today.

The gruesome rape and murder of a 14-year old girl in north Kashmir in July precipitated the call for all migrant laborers to leave Kashmir. This has come after years of simmering discontent with the migrant laborers bringing in crime, diseases and moral practices which are seen not in conformity with Kashmiri culture and values. Yet, the compelling need of migrant laborers has been making the Kashmiris bear them out in spite of the simmering anger.

There is no doubt that migrant laborers have brought in many social ills to Kashmir which were not part of Kashmiri traditional social set up. There is also no doubt that both society and local administration needs to check the criminal activities of migrant laborers. But in economic and moral terms, can we afford to lose them going back for good? What would happen to thousands of Kashmiris living in India and other parts of the world if they were to be sent back home on similar grounds?
From barbers to brick kiln workers, from laborers on paddy fields of Kashmir's countryside to the workers building border roads in Kashmir, migrant laborers are there everywhere. Jingoistic bravado apart, what would happen if overnight we would have no workers to work in low-end jobs? Do we have enough work-force to fill in the demand? What would happen to the construction activity?

The fact is that there is a profound economic dimension to the presence of the huge number of the migrant laborers in Kashmir. The major reason being that they are coming here because there is a huge demand for them. Despite a raging conflict, what attracts them are higher wages, good working conditions, friendly employers and pleasant weather here. There is another simple economic explanation to this: it is the demand which has been driving the supply of laborers to Kashmir and not the vice versa.

What an outright outflow of migrant laborers would do is make Kashmiris as oppressors in the eyes of the world, no matter the subjugation they are going through themselves. Political and social awakening is required to address greater ills: ethnic and demographic engineering, lease out of land for 90 years and other macro issues. These poor laborers are not going to get Permanent Resident Certificates of our State.

Let us do not lose sight of the manner we Kashmiris are projected today. Beyond the misleading news coverage of India's national media on Kashmir there are a million stories of our hospitality and peaceful co-existence which have remained shrouded somewhere. For instance, there are nearly 3000 non-Kashmiri students - mostly females - getting their education training in dozens of education training colleges in Kashmir. They are here since years, even in the midst of the conflict. Srinagar's National Institute of Technology (NIT) has a students union whose head is a non-local and two-thirds of its body is comprised of non-locals. Dozens of roads of border areas, being maintained by the Border Roads Organisation (BRO), are constructed and maintained by non-Kashmiris. The multi-billion rupees fruit trade of Kashmir is done through non-locals who visit the nook and corner of Kashmir in search of contracts. All of India's major private companies, mainly telecom giants like Airtel and Aircel have non-Kashmiris at their helm. Almost all central government undertakings, including public telecom company, BSNL and railway construction company - IRCON - in Kashmir are run by non-locals, who are living side by side with their local hosts peacefully. Almost all our sweet shops are run by non-locals. The goal gappas are a reality in Kashmir because of these migrants. The kiosks selling variety of roadside snacks from baked pulses to samosas are all run by non locals.

To send all of these back would be a blot on our rich traditions of hospitality, tolerance and peaceful existence. Kashmiris would do better by not letting their enemies paint a greater demon out of them. We live in an intense world of inter-dependence and let us continue to create examples of peaceful co-existence and tolerance. But the response to Census reports surely need people put their heads together.

(The columnist can be e-mailed at arjimand@gmail.com).

Kashmiri Students In India Face Discrimination

By Rama Lakshmi

The Washington Post
18 June,2003

MUZAFFARNAGAR, India -- Three months ago, Ejaz Husain Jaan was just another Kashmiri student living away from home, nervously studying for his finals and taking short breaks to catch the World Cup cricket scores on television.

Now, he is in jail, facing terrorism charges for allegedly aiding a
plan to blow up important government buildings, an accusation he
vehemently denies.

"I came out of Kashmir to study, not to be a terrorist," said Jaan,
23, looking tired and bewildered as he stepped out of a crowded
courtroom in Uttar Pradesh state recently. "In Kashmir, there is
always a threat of the gun -- the army's or the militants'. I wanted
to escape the climate of fear and violence.

"But now all my career hopes are destroyed. I could not even finish my tests," he said, starting to cry.

According to human rights groups in New Delhi, scores of Muslim
students, traders and professionals who quit violence-wracked Kashmir for other parts of India in search of education and job opportunities have faced increased harassment and discrimination in the past three years.

A report by the People's Union for Democratic Rights said Kashmiri Muslims in New Delhi suffer from "a deep sense of insecurity and vulnerability" and are victims of police harassment, humiliating searches, intimidation, arbitrary detentions and demands for bribes by local policemen under the pretext of fighting terrorism.

The climate of suspicion, many said, has sharpened since December 2001, when gunmen suspected of being Islamic rebels fighting for Kashmir's secession from India attacked the Parliament complex in New Delhi. Kashmir, India's only Muslim-majority state, has been ravaged since 1989 by a separatist revolt that has claimed more than 35,000 lives, according to official estimates.

"The last 14 years have been a dark period for the people of Kashmir. Many people have tried to escape the violence and come out to study and work, but they face suspicion wherever they go," said Mehbooba Mufti, the chief of Kashmir's ruling People's Democratic Party. "The stereotype is that every Kashmiri holds a gun. Do Kashmiris have to rip open their hearts each time to prove they are not militants?"

Indian officials said there is no campaign to harass Kashmiris
because of their religion or their roots.

"We have to be vigilant," said a senior police officer who asked not to be named. "We don't pick up Kashmiris at random, we follow our intelligence inputs and phone tapping. We cannot always wait for the attack to take place; we have to prevent it also."

But human rights activists argued that the police often act on the
basis of flimsy evidence and that the process lacks accountability.

"We are not saying India should be soft on terrorism, but the state's coercive powers must act like a surgeon's scalpel rather than come down like a hammer," said Ravi Nair, who heads the South Asia Human Rights Documentation Center. "With every case of harassment of an innocent, the gulf between Kashmiris and the rest of India widens."

Discrimination and harassment are a simple fact of daily life for
many Kashmiris living outside their home state, said Afshan Gul, 23, a film student in New Delhi, who complained of innumerable searches and questioning by police.

"The searches and questions do not stop when you show your identity card," she said. "For a Kashmiri Muslim, it usually begins after you show it. They don't just search you, they rip off your dignity, too."

More than a decade of violence by Islamic militants has hardened
perceptions about Kashmiri Muslims among some Indians as well as the police. The bias, Kashmiris said, permeates everyday activities from finding an apartment to finding a job.

"The moment the landlords got to know I was a Kashmiri Muslim, they would make excuses to say no," said Khursheed Ahmed Qazi, 38, a businessman who spent several months looking for an apartment in the capital last year. "The bias against us was clear."

Abrar Ahmad Dewani, 24, a computer student from Kashmir, said that when he interviewed two years ago for a job as a Web site designer for a New Delhi company that makes bathroom fixtures, the questions had nothing to do with his skills.

"The man looked at my [résumé] and said, 'Are you a Kashmiri?
Kashmiris are terrorists,' " recalled Dewani. "I said . . . 'I don't
want to work for you.' I felt humiliated."

At another job interview, a prospective employer told him he was
"very scared of Kashmiris."

The circumstances surrounding the arrest of Jaan and three other
students in March shook the small group of Kashmiri undergraduates studying in Uttar Pradesh, who said they came under increased surveillance from the police and became the target of public suspicion and scorn.

"The police searched all the rooms of the students. My professor told me not to call him or visit him. Everybody in college looked at us with suspicion," said Abdul Rashid, 26, a graduate student who lived in the room next to Jaan's. "The neighbors would look at us and say, 'Look, the terrorists are coming' or 'What are you bombing next?' "

Jaan said he was interrogated in dark rooms for nine days without a lawyer. He said the police forced him to sign several blank pages that he feared could be used as confessions.

Police said they found maps of India's "vital installations" in
Jaan's possession and that phone records show he received calls from a leader of the banned militant group Jaish-i-Muhammad.

Despite the perils, young Kashmiris say they will continue to leave
home because of the lack of jobs in their state.

"I have no choice but to leave Kashmir," said Tanweer Sadiq, 25, a recent computer science graduate who is applying for jobs in New Delhi. "There are no jobs in Kashmir. I knew I would have to battle a stereotype when I [went] there, but it is still worth taking a
chance. It's a question of my career."

© 2003 The Washington Post Company

Indian army officer rapes a minor girl in Banihal
Kashmir Watch :: Exclusives
Jammu, August 20 (NAK): Jammu and Kashmir police has registered rape case against a low ranking Indian army officer for allegedly raping a minor girl in Banihal area of Ramban district.

Sources claimed that the family members of a minor girl, who is resident of Sarbagni village of Banihal, lodged a written compliant in Police Station Ramsoo alleging that their daughter has been raped continuously by an army solider.

The complainants, sources told a local news agency News Agency of Kashmir that the girl was threatened by the army officer not to disclose the matter to anyone.

The family came to know about the rape only when the girl was declared pregnant by the doctors, sources said adding the family immediately informed the police about the alleged rape.

The accused solider has been identified as Lance Naik PK Sarkar of 23 RR. Though he has not been arrested so far, sources said a case has been registered against him in the police station.

"The officer allegedly had a physical relationship with the minor girl for last two to three months", sources said.

Meanwhile, an Indian defence spokesman said that the army authorities have taken strong note of the allegations leveled by the family members against the solider.

"Army authorities have taken cognizance of a complaint filed in Ramsoo Police Station, a minor girl against Lance Naik PK Sarkar", defence spokesman Col Goswami told the news agency.

[Note: In the 18 years of conflict in Indian occupied Kashmir, there have been many allegations of rapes and molestations particularly against the Indian troopers. A 1994 United Nations publication (E/CN.4/1995/42, pp.63-69) says that 'during 1992 alone, 882 women were reportedly gang-raped by Indian security forces in Jammu and Kashmir'.

According to the Kashmiri-Canadian Council, more than 6,300 Kashmiri women have been raped. According to a report by Human Rights Watch 2001 "Rape is used by the Indian security forces to attack Kashmiri women suspected of sympathizing with Freedom Fighters."

Women separatist leader Aasiya Andrabi attributes the absence of rape in the report to "well entrenched Indian policy".

"Basically India uses rape as a war crime and they don't treat it as a HR violation. So it employs all curbs and other tactics on the rights groups to pressurise them to desist from publishing it".]

Srinagar, occupied Kashmir, March 2 (PPI): In occupied Kashmir, Indian troops have been armed with Israeli made Travor assault rifles to crush the Kashmiris righteous struggle. The TAR-21 Travor rifle costing around $6500, is one of the most modern assault rifles available in the world. According to Kashmir Media Service, the rifles are part of India's strategy to use them during siege and search operation in civilian areas in the disputed territory. (Posted @ 22:42 PST)
- DAWN - Latest Stories; March 02, 2008

6a33c683a88c56aa81b619916d781d4e.jpg

e800e4e10cbd0fcaf7e0bdc769c7527e.jpg

Well common sense really, using weapons developed by a country which is plagued with constant multiple insurgencies since it's creation, kind of a specialty of Israel. Makes me wonder why they didn't bought Israeli weaponry years ago, might have prevented 1/4 of their territory to fall into the hands of naxalites and their maoist affiliates, well I guess better now then never.

Honestly as far as the weapons part is concerned, I personally think that India has the right to use weapons from anywhere. We also use weapons from other countries, so I personally think this is a internal matter of India. Just like they shouldn't tell us what weapons we should use we also shouldn't tell them what weapons to use.

Honestly as far as the weapons part is concerned, I personally think that India has the right to use weapons from anywhere. We also use weapons from other countries, so I personally think this is a internal matter of India. Just like they shouldn't tell us what weapons we should use we also shouldn't tell them what weapons to use.

Totally agree with you, but to be fair both sides feel uncomfortable at each other's military purchases and quiet rightly so.

what bothers me about those pics are that the soldiers arent wearing helmets and their body armour is minimal. in a place like kashmir, i'd expect indian soldiers to wear full battle gear

Back
Top Bottom