What's new

Kashmir | News & Discussions.

So, is new media only reinforcing old stereotypes?

• Total voters
No...... the indian army never killed and raped the Kashmiri Pandits.....they killed and raped the muslims kashmiris and made one and half million into refugees.

Can you give any reliable source and proof for this that Indian army killed muslim kashmiris?[/B]

Go to any international human rights site and get the figures!......no pont me putting them up as there going to be "propoganda".

And by the way if you talk about **** and murder of muslims then why not to discuss about baloch people? They are also muslims but pakistani army which is a muslim majority is killing their muslim brothers. You tell kashmiri that we are brothers because we are muslims then why in 1948 pakistani army supported and attacked on kashmir and killed thousands of muslims. Don't tell lie that you were not, if you want proof then see UN resolutions whose copy is posted in this forum.[/B]

Well why dont we start with you indians killing the sikhs in punjab,burning christians and oppressing the people of Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Meghalaya, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, and Tripura which are also hindus....why are you killing your brother hindus?
As for the UN.....you guys took it to the UN not us.

And the freedom fighters only kill those that support the indian armys occupation.

Can you tell me how a women who don't even read and write properly can support or help Indian army or spy for indian army? There are several cases in which your muslim terrorists killed and raped muslim woman's and nobody raise any issue on that. What about baloch protest? I can say that pakistani army is continuously killing and raping muslim woman then why don't you see yourself first and then point to others?[/B]

So your trying to compare a few cases in pakistan to hundreds of thousands of ****-murder in IOK?

You tried to chop a piece of kashmir off......but failed.

NOT we tried but you tried to swallow whole kashmir but failed to do so expressing your frustration here. This is well known that in 1948 pakistani army with the help of tribesman attacked on Kashmir and it united with India.[/B]

So the last few decades of killings that are no match for the 1947 war are more important......how come the kashmiris are not supporting you indians now and have been protesting and fighting for two decades.

At least you show yout true colours.......
Will time tell about our true color man, wait.[/B]

Yellow by any chance.

Let me guess......you spend nights and nights in kashmir and know more about it then the people that live there.
And tell me how many nights you've spend in kashmir? Ohh I forgot you spent more nights then me in the form of terrorist.

Well we learnt from your hindu brothers in sri lanka about suicide bombings.
So finally you accepted that you are a terrorist group because from a terrorist organization like LTTE you can learn only to kill.

The same prize the lady that blew up rajiv gandhi gets
If this is it then wait and see because if you don't wake up now, you'll get the price which LTTE got in recent years and it get vanished from whole Shri Lanka.

By the way I also believe that you deserve for this price.

Its just you indian need to know that suicide bombing is not exclusive to muslims but has been done by other faiths way before the muslims.

Last edited:
Infiltration bid foiled, two militants killed in Kupwara

Srinagar: An infiltration bid was foiled and two militants were killed by the Army near the Line of Control in Tangdhar sector of Kupwara district of Jammu and Kashmir on Monday.

Army troops noticed some suspicious movement along the LoC and laid an ambush in Tangdhar, 175 kms from here, a defence spokesman said.

He said as soon as the troops intercepted the heavily-armed militants, they fired on the army personnel.

The gunfire was retaliated, triggering an encounter between the two sides, the spokesman said.

"Two unidentified militants have been killed so far," he said adding, the operation was in progress when reports last came in.

Read more at: Infiltration bid foiled, two militants killed in Kupwara

12426643494103welldone%20.jpg

"There are different types of duties I can now be sent to do," says the man we have come to meet, but whose identity we have to conceal.
"I can be kept here in the reserves, be asked to recruit new members, or they can send me across into Indian-held Kashmir for jihad," he says.
Until the spring, this 25-year-old had been studying engineering; now he is a militant.
As he describes why he left his studies, he quotes from the Koran and repeats justifications for his choice, which have clearly been taught to him.
"While I was at university, I started going to sermons given by preachers and, thank God, I joined a jihadi group," he says.
"I went to a training camp with hundreds of others for three months. Now I'm ready to do whatever they ask me, to win all of Kashmir for Pakistan.
"The Indians are killing our brothers and sisters. If everyone sits around doing nothing, who will bring liberation?
"God willing, our blood will bring change," the young man adds.
He tells me his family are happy about his choice, and that they will be proud if he becomes a martyr and goes to heaven.
But that turns out not to be the case. After much persuasion, he allows us to meet his mother.
'Brainwashed'"Only over my dead body will my son go for jihad," she says.
She tells us that she thought her son was going for Koranic teaching but that she was horrified to find that he had, in fact, had militant training.
"I pray to God to keep him here and not let him go. I won't let him," she adds.
And the man's brother, we find, is furious.
"He is a different person since he went to the training camp; the way he talks and dresses. They have brainwashed him.
"If Pakistan wants to fight India, why doesn't it do it through its army, why does it have to use boys like my brother?" he says.
The implication being that it is the Pakistani state that is behind the radicalisation and preparation of his brother as a militant.
In 1947, India was partitioned. Muslim-majority Indian states formed the new nation of Pakistan. But in the hastiness of the split, the fate of Kashmir, whose population was more than three-quarters Muslim, was never fully resolved.
In the late 1940s, the United Nations had demanded that India allow a vote in Kashmir so people there could decide upon their future. India said it agreed, but the poll was never held.
The territory is now split between the two regional powers. They have fought wars for its overall control, but in the last 20 years, an insurgency has also taken root.
There was a time when it was an open secret that the Pakistani authorities were directly supporting militancy in Kashmir.
But now Pakistan claims those days are over.
"I assure you, as a state, as a government, there is no such policy of training Kashmiri militants to be sent across [to Indian-administered Kashmir]," Pakistan's Interior Minister, Rehman Malik, tells me.
He says that because of the monitoring of his government, militant groups have been brought under control, that they are no longer a threat to India, and that fighters cannot cross into the Indian-run side of Kashmir.
When I tell him about the militant we had met, and the organised training camp he had talked of, Mr Malik admitted there might be "some non-state groups" still operating.
'Supporting militancy'But most people living in Pakistani-administered Kashmir will say the government is not telling the full story.
"The intelligence agencies in Pakistan are still fully supporting and financing militant groups here and the government is completely aware," says Zahid Habib Sheikh, from the Jammu Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF).
"They will tell you there are no training camps but, of course, there are. This has always been Pakistan's Kashmir strategy, but it is a selfish policy that has only damaged our cause," he adds.
Mr Sheikh says he feels Pakistan is supporting militancy here not for the sake of Kashmiris, but to keep India engaged in conflict, and to use the militants as a bargaining chip in negotiations.
"Pakistan has also turned what should be a nationalist cause, about human rights abuses by India, into a religious cause," he says.
The organisation he belongs to re-launched its "Quit Kashmir" campaign earlier this year. It calls for both India and Pakistan to end their involvement in the region.
In what is traditionally protest season in Pakistani-administered Kashmir, where all political groups hold rallies, the march by JKLF was one of the biggest in Muzaffarabad, blocking the centre of the city.
People across Pakistani-administered Kashmir are united in their anger over the recent deaths of over a hundred Kashmiris in the Indian-administered side, killed while protesting against Indian control.
Just as we are leaving Muzaffarabad, after the "Quit Kashmir" rally, we hear crowd noise coming from a marketplace.
There, in the middle of the day, stands a bearded man on a platform, surrounded by armed men in military-type fatigues.
Scores of people have gathered to listen to what he has to say, and respond to his slogans by chanting them back.
He is a senior militant leader, openly urging new recruits to step forward. Undoubtedly more of them will.
UPDATE: Pakistan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs released a statement after this article's publication saying "When his attention was drawn to a recent BBC report alleging existence of terrorist training camps in AJK [Azad Jammu and Kashmir], the [ministry] spokesman termed the report as baseless and malicious."
BBC News - Kashmiri militant groups still recruiting in Pakistan

Indian media reported this before quoting BBC Urdu but was ridiculed as usual

nthing will happen frm this,they are trying this frm 20 yrs..........

They r just giving free real target practicing for IA...
Let IA enjoy,please recruit more!!!!!

Geelani: Indian canot suppress Kashmiris' struggle

Geelani%20-%20Indian%20canot%20suppress%20Kashmiris%27%20struggle.jpg

Written by KMS
Monday, 08 November 2010 15:50

Srinagar, November 08, 2010: All Parties Hurriyat Conference Chairman, Syed Ali Shah Geelani has reiterated that India will never succeed in subduing the people of Occupied State of Jammu & Kashmir (OSJK) in their struggle for the right of Self-Determination that will continue till its logical conclusion.

Syed Ali Shah Geelani in a statement issued in Srinagar said that the ongoing movement in the occupied territory had brought the OSJK dispute to focus at the global level. He stated that besides the international community, the people of India had realized that the Kashmiris had been peacefully fighting against India’s illegal occupation of Jammu and Kashmir and not against any particular community.

Mirwaiz Umar Farooq said that the world community should play an effective role to resolve the Kashmir dispute. He pointed out that settlement of the lingering dispute was imperative for permanent peace in the region. On the other hand, complete shutdown was observed across the territory for the third successive day, today, call for which had been given by Syed Ali Shah Geelani to attract attention of the US President, Barack Obama towards the situation in Occupied State of Jammu & Kashmir.

The occupation authorities continued to place Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, Shabbir Ahmed Shah, Nayeem Ahmed Khan and other Hurriyat leaders under house arrest.

Syed Ali Shah Geelani has maintained that the ongoing movement has brought Kashmiris’ right of Self-Determination at the centre-stage. Syed Ali Shah Geelani in a statement issued in Srinagar said, due to the present movement the world has realized that there is a place (Jammu & Kashmir) where people have taken to streets to fight for Azadi from Indian occupation, which has been endorsed long back by the international community.

He said that the United Nations in 1947 had recognized the Kashmiris’ right of Self-Determination by passing several resolutions in this regard and even the then leadership of India and Pakistan had acknowledged it. He stated that besides the international community, the people of India had also realized that the Kashmiris had been peacefully fighting against India’s illegal occupation of Jammu and Kashmir and not against any particular community.

Syed Ali Shah Geelani had said that the "Quit Kashmir Movement" had been taking different forms since 1947. However, he added, in June 2010, the Kashmiris faced a serious situation when Indian troopers started a killing spree in the occupied Valley. “People, including women and children, took to streets to register their protest against the killing of civilians. The protests shattered the power corridors in New Delhi,” he said.

Syed Ali Shah Geelani announced a fresh 12-day calendar in connection with the ongoing "Quit Kashmir Movement". He said that there would be shutdown on November 11, 13 and 15 (Thursday, Saturday and Monday). He appealed for peaceful protests after Friday prayers on November 12 against the human rights violations by the troops in the occupied territory. However, he said, from Tuesday to Saturday (November 16 to November 20), there will be no shutdown in view of Eid-ul-Azha.

He pointed out that positives of the ongoing movement would play an effective role in the final resolution of the Kashmir dispute. He stated that some minor changes should not be construed as an end of the movement, adding, “I want to assure the people that their sacrifices would not be allowed to go waste at any cost.”

Felicitating Kashmiris on the eve of Eid, Syed Ali Shah Geelani urged them to offer the congregational prayers at Dargah Hazratbal. “Eid-ul-Azha teaches us to be ready for any kind of sacrifices. Hazrat Ibrahim (AS) should be the role model for the Ummah and inspire us to carry forward the movement, despite all odds,” he added.

Indian troops, in their fresh act of state terrorism, martyred two innocent Kashmiri youth in Kupwara district. The troops killed the youth in Tangdhar area of the district during a siege and search operation, which continued till last reports came in.

On the other hand, people took to the streets in Bandipora and staged protests to press for the release of six youth arrested by Indian forces during a nocturnal raid. The police had detained six youth including three brothers from various localities of Bandipora during the intervening night of Saturday and Sunday.

People in Hajin held protests against the arrest of three youth, a week ago. Residents of Sonawari told media men that the CRPF troops barged into residential houses during night time and harassed the youth, who were preparing for their exams.

The Senior Vice Chairman of Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front-R (JKLF-R), Javed Ahmad Mir, has appealed to the US President, Barack Obama, to impress upon India to resolve the Kashmir dispute.

Javed Ahmad Mir in a statement issued in Srinagar said that the settlement of the longstanding dispute was vital to the peace and stability in South Asia. “The bilateral efforts to resolve the lingering dispute have failed. The dispute has consumed three generations of Kashmiris and it is high time for its resolution through US involvement,” he added.

The JKLF-R leader emphasised that the US President should take cognisance of gross human rights violations committed by Indian troops across the occupied territory. He urged India to shun its rigid stand on Kashmir and resolve the dispute according to the aspirations of the Kashmiri people.

Geelani: Indian canot suppress Kashmiris' struggle

Infiltration bid foiled, two militants killed in Kupwara

Srinagar: An infiltration bid was foiled and two militants were killed by the Army near the Line of Control in Tangdhar sector of Kupwara district of Jammu and Kashmir on Monday.

Army troops noticed some suspicious movement along the LoC and laid an ambush in Tangdhar, 175 kms from here, a defence spokesman said.

He said as soon as the troops intercepted the heavily-armed militants, they fired on the army personnel.

The gunfire was retaliated, triggering an encounter between the two sides, the spokesman said.

"Two unidentified militants have been killed so far," he said adding, the operation was in progress when reports last came in.

Read more at: Infiltration bid foiled, two militants killed in Kupwara

:tup:
Great! Another two "Tourists" sent off on a "budget holiday" to paradise.

a lesser burden on mother nature... less violence for the rest of the world!!!

Good job!! ... Good job!! (Hancock style :yahoo:)

Kashmir’s Fruits of Discord

By ARUNDHATI ROY

Published: November 8, 2010

A WEEK before he was elected in 2008, President Obama said that solving the dispute over Kashmir’s struggle for self-determination — which has led to three wars between India and Pakistan since 1947 — would be among his “critical tasks.” His remarks were greeted with consternation in India, and he has said almost nothing about Kashmir since then.

But on Monday, during his visit here, he pleased his hosts immensely by saying the United States would not intervene in Kashmir and announcing his support for India’s seat on the United Nations Security Council. While he spoke eloquently about threats of terrorism, he kept quiet about human rights abuses in Kashmir.

Whether Mr. Obama decides to change his position on Kashmir again depends on several factors: how the war in Afghanistan is going, how much help the United States needs from Pakistan and whether the government of India goes aircraft shopping this winter. (An order for 10 Boeing C-17 Globemaster III aircraft, worth $5.8 billion, among other huge business deals in the pipeline, may ensure the president’s silence.) But neither Mr. Obama’s silence nor his intervention is likely to make the people in Kashmir drop the stones in their hands.

I was in Kashmir 10 days ago, in that beautiful valley on the Pakistani border, home to three great civilizations — Islamic, Hindu and Buddhist. It’s a valley of myth and history. Some believe that Jesus died there; others that Moses went there to find the lost tribe. Millions worship at the Hazratbal shrine, where a few days a year a hair of the Prophet Muhammad is displayed to believers.

Now Kashmir, caught between the influence of militant Islam from Pakistan and Afghanistan, America’s interests in the region and Indian nationalism (which is becoming increasingly aggressive and “Hinduized”), is considered a nuclear flash point. It is patrolled by more than half a million soldiers and has become the most highly militarized zone in the world.

The atmosphere on the highway between Kashmir’s capital, Srinagar, and my destination, the little apple town of Shopian in the south, was tense. Groups of soldiers were deployed along the highway, in the orchards, in the fields, on the rooftops and outside shops in the little market squares. Despite months of curfew, the “stone pelters” calling for “azadi” (freedom), inspired by the Palestinian intifada, were out again. Some stretches of the highway were covered with so many of these stones that you needed an S.U.V. to drive over them.

Fortunately the friends I was with knew alternative routes down the back lanes and village roads. The “longcut” gave me the time to listen to their stories of this year’s uprising. The youngest, still a boy, told us that when three of his friends were arrested for throwing stones, the police pulled out their fingernails — every nail, on both hands.

For three years in a row now, Kashmiris have been in the streets, protesting what they see as India’s violent occupation. But the militant uprising against the Indian government that began with the support of Pakistan 20 years ago is in retreat. The Indian Army estimates that there are fewer than 500 militants operating in the Kashmir Valley today. The war has left 70,000 dead and tens of thousands debilitated by torture. Many, many thousands have “disappeared.” More than 200,000 Kashmiri Hindus have fled the valley. Though the number of militants has come down, the number of Indian soldiers deployed remains undiminished.

But India’s military domination ought not to be confused with a political victory. Ordinary people armed with nothing but their fury have risen up against the Indian security forces. A whole generation of young people who have grown up in a grid of checkpoints, bunkers, army camps and interrogation centers, whose childhood was spent witnessing “catch and kill” operations, whose imaginations are imbued with spies, informers, “unidentified gunmen,” intelligence operatives and rigged elections, has lost its patience as well as its fear. With an almost mad courage, Kashmir’s young have faced down armed soldiers and taken back their streets.

Since April, when the army killed three civilians and then passed them off as “terrorists,” masked stone throwers, most of them students, have brought life in Kashmir to a grinding halt. The Indian government has retaliated with bullets, curfew and censorship. Just in the last few months, 111 people have been killed, most of them teenagers; more than 3,000 have been wounded and 1,000 arrested.

But still they come out, the young, and throw stones. They don’t seem to have leaders or belong to a political party. They represent themselves. And suddenly the second-largest standing army in the world doesn’t quite know what to do. The Indian government doesn’t know whom to negotiate with. And many Indians are slowly realizing they have been lied to for decades. The once solid consensus on Kashmir suddenly seems a little fragile.

I WAS in a bit of trouble the morning we drove to Shopian. A few days earlier, at a public meeting in Delhi, I said that Kashmir was disputed territory and, contrary to the Indian government’s claims, it couldn’t be called an “integral” part of India. Outraged politicians and news anchors demanded that I be arrested for sedition. The government, terrified of being seen as “soft,” issued threatening statements, and the situation escalated. Day after day, on prime-time news, I was being called a traitor, a white-collar terrorist and several other names reserved for insubordinate women. But sitting in that car on the road to Shopian, listening to my friends, I could not bring myself to regret what I had said in Delhi.

We were on our way to visit a man called Shakeel Ahmed Ahangar. The previous day he had come all the way to Srinagar, where I had been staying, to press me, with an urgency that was hard to ignore, to visit Shopian.

I first met Shakeel in June 2009, only a few weeks after the bodies of Nilofar, his 22-year-old wife, and Asiya, his 17-year-old sister, were found lying a thousand yards apart in a shallow stream in a high-security zone — a floodlit area between army and state police camps. The first postmortem report confirmed **** and murder. But then the system kicked in. New autopsy reports overturned the initial findings and, after the ugly business of exhuming the bodies, **** was ruled out. It was declared that in both cases the cause of death was drowning. Protests shut Shopian down for 47 days, and the valley was convulsed with anger for months. Eventually it looked as though the Indian government had managed to defuse the crisis. But the anger over the killings has magnified the intensity of this year’s uprising.

Shakeel wanted us to visit him in Shopian because he was being threatened by the police for speaking out, and hoped our visit would demonstrate that people even outside of Kashmir were looking out for him, that he was not alone.

It was apple season in Kashmir and as we approached Shopian we could see families in their orchards, busily packing apples into wooden crates in the slanting afternoon light. I worried that a couple of the little red-cheeked children who looked so much like apples themselves might be crated by mistake. The news of our visit had preceded us, and a small knot of people were waiting on the road.

Shakeel’s house is on the edge of the graveyard where his wife and sister are buried. It was dark by the time we arrived, and there was a power failure. We sat in a semicircle around a lantern and listened to him tell the story we all knew so well. Other people entered the room. Other terrible stories poured out, ones that are not in human rights reports, stories about what happens to women who live in remote villages where there are more soldiers than civilians.

Shakeel’s young son tumbled around in the darkness, moving from lap to lap. “Soon he’ll be old enough to understand what happened to his mother,” Shakeel said more than once.

Just when we rose to leave, a messenger arrived to say that Shakeel’s father-in-law — Nilofar’s father — was expecting us at his home. We sent our regrets; it was late and if we stayed longer it would be unsafe for us to drive back.

Minutes after we said goodbye and crammed ourselves into the car, a friend’s phone rang. It was a journalist colleague of his with news for me: “The police are typing up the warrant. She’s going to be arrested tonight.” We drove in silence for a while, past truck after truck being loaded with apples. “It’s unlikely,” my friend said finally. “It’s just psy-ops.”

But then, as we picked up speed on the highway, we were overtaken by a car full of men waving us down. Two men on a motorcycle asked our driver to pull over. I steeled myself for what was coming. A man appeared at the car window. He had slanting emerald eyes and a salt-and-pepper beard that went halfway down his chest. He introduced himself as Abdul Hai, father of the murdered Nilofar.
“How could I let you go without your apples?” he said. The bikers started loading two crates of apples into the back of our car. Then Abdul Hai reached into the pockets of his worn brown cloak, and brought out an egg. He placed it in my palm and folded my fingers over it. And then he placed another in my other hand. The eggs were still warm. “God bless and keep you,” he said, and walked away into the dark. What greater reward could a writer want?

I wasn’t arrested that night. Instead, in what is becoming a common political strategy, officials outsourced their displeasure to the mob. A few days after I returned home, the women’s wing of the Bharatiya Janata Party (the right-wing Hindu nationalist opposition) staged a demonstration outside my house, calling for my arrest. Television vans arrived in advance to broadcast the event live. The murderous Bajrang Dal, a militant Hindu group that, in 2002, spearheaded attacks against Muslims in Gujarat in which more than a thousand people were killed, have announced that they are going to “fix” me with all the means at their disposal, including by filing criminal charges against me in different courts across the country.

Indian nationalists and the government seem to believe that they can fortify their idea of a resurgent India with a combination of bullying and Boeing airplanes. But they don’t understand the subversive strength of warm, boiled eggs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/09/opinion/09roy.html?_r=1&pagewanted=2

Back
Top Bottom