What's new

Kashmir | News & Discussions.

So, is new media only reinforcing old stereotypes?

• Total voters
^ I personally feel that both these leaders are not on the same page.

What do others think?

I will agree with Markus - I do think there is a strong "disconnect" on the issue between the US and India.

There is a speech in Parliament and perhaps some succor for the hosts may be expected there.

^ I personally feel that both these leaders are not on the same page.

What do others think?

Well let me simplify this to the best of my ability.

Obama: We will mediate only if both the countries want us to mediate and not unilaterally (we simply can't). Apart from mediation, we will keep nudging both India and Pak to keep talking to each other.

MMS: We will talk about Kashmir once cross-border terrorism stops. We cannot talk with a gun pointed at our head. Any third party mediation is not wanted (long-stated position of India).

Well let me simplify this to the best of my ability.

Obama: We will mediate only if both the countries want us to mediate and not unilaterally (we simply can't). Apart from mediation, we will keep nudging both India and Pak to keep talking to each other.

MMS: We will talk about Kashmir once cross-border terrorism stops. We cannot talk with a gun pointed at our head. Any third party mediation is not wanted (long-stated position of India).

If the bold above is correct then that means that Obama does not understand Indian concerns at all. We want him to put pressure on Pakistan to act against terror affecting India.

purestanis forget to mention the older inhabitants of Kashmir

Example) The Mahabharat explains how the Kambojas ruled with the capital being "Rajapura"

Later the Panchalas ruled

Then the Mauryan emperor Ashoka etc.

Islam was only introduced to the land in the beginning of the 14th century

Try telling that to Tibetans as well.. Oh wait they're not Muslims though. :rolleyes:

with all due respect to holy scripture of mahabharat i would rather give reference of something more authentic, typical imperailist way of thinking that someone's grand^100 father lived some where for grand 1000 yrs so his grand^100 son has the right to claim the place a grand joke..!
any ways keep telling the tales...wetaher listners are tibatians or utopians

Islam was only introduced to the land in the beginning of the 14th century
reset your callender....

If the bold above is correct then that means that Obama does not understand Indian concerns at all. We want him to put pressure on Pakistan to act against terror affecting India.

This is one point where i believe Indians haven't been able to get what they wanted from Obama, and many people including the hawkish media outlets have expressed their disappointment.

This is one point where i believe Indians haven't been able to get what they wanted from Obama, and many people including the hawkish media outlets have expressed their disappointment.

Yes, both seem a little out of sync out in the open.

But we will never come to know as to what happened behind the closed doors.

US needs Pakistan now and cannot say anything in the open and surely PM Manmohan Singh understands that.

Pakistani terror machine is the hyper fobia of India because they have used similar tactics and are not afraid of being bitten back by same dog! Dissolve India for peace in south Asia!

I will agree with Markus - I do think there is a strong "disconnect" on the issue between the US and India.

There is a speech in Parliament and perhaps some succor for the hosts may be expected there.

There wont be anything said in parliament for sure.

Why would US spoil the relationship it has with Pakistan.. They have a road map ahead for greater things and I believe Indian administration has been duly notified regarding that. So I dont expect any thing stupid said , to get a few handicapping and a newspaper heading .

Just to add, I wouldn't say its a strong disconnect, just a little out-of-sync they seem to be.

Well I saw their press conference and Obama came out asking for peace, Singh came out sounding like a Israeli - in the sense that he wants the results of negotiations before the negotiations take place.

So, whatever the characterization, they did seem to be on different pages - now it may be that Singh has domestic political compulsions and we should be mindful of that

Your one-liners and two-liners are really getting boring now.

Try something new.

Something I've learned since I've been on this site.
15wxflz.gif

There wont be anything said in parliament for sure.

Why would US spoil the relationship it has with Pakistan.. They have a road map ahead for greater things and I believe Indian administration has been duly notified regarding that. So I dont expect any thing stupid said , to get a few handicapping and a newspaper heading .

I agree to that. Obama has tried his best to avoid 'Pakistan' and 'Kashmir' during the trip, suggesting to me that he doesn't want to alienate either Pakistan or India. He only mentioned it when he was aksed pointed questions, first at St Xavier's and then today at the joint presser. Obviously, he is not in India for this purpose.

As far as his address in the parlaiment is concerned, i think there is only one issue to which Indians are looking forward now and that is the UNSC seat which he hasn't addressed so far.

He did say that the UNSC should reflect present day realities and I take from this statement that some succor will be offered but I will be amazed, stunned, floored, if he commits the US to what the Indian are seeking.

Also I hope you guys caught what he had to say about the relationship being (fill in the blanks) to meet the "challenge of our times" or something like that - anybody got a full transcript of the four questions and their answers??

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom