What's new

Kashmir | News & Discussions.

So, is new media only reinforcing old stereotypes?

• Total voters
When You dont see anything wrong in freedom fighters Killing Innocent Lives, why should we care for some guy who by himself is a Liability to the nation??? Makes sense???? If it dosent, Read again:smokin:
Actually we want freedom fighters to kill IA serving in Kashmir only and protect innocent lives from being killed in these fake encounters by the IA

They killed normal people and claimed they killed militants? You see nothing wrong with that?

Ohh actually its normal for them, They have to fullfill the quota, Everyone's a militant...

Indian Army and Police Tied to Kashmir Killings

SRINAGAR, Kashmir, Feb. 3 — Amid a grove of poplar trees in a village just north of here, a grave was unearthed Thursday afternoon. Out came the body of a man, shot dead nearly two months ago, whom the Indian police described at the time as an anti-Indian militant from Pakistan.

An elderly man, who had been searching for his missing son for nearly two months, was summoned for the exhumation. He stared at the horror dug out of the ground and told the police what he had refused to believe all this time. “He is my son,” he said. Then he sat on the bare ground and shook.

As it turned out, the dead man, Abdul Rehman Paddar, was not a Pakistani at all, nor a militant. He was a Kashmiri carpenter from a village south of here. The Indian police are now investigating whether he was killed by some of their own men, for motives that could range from personal revenge to greed. A suspected militant’s body, after all, comes with a handsome cash reward. By Saturday, four police officers were under arrest in connection with Mr. Paddar’s killing.

S. M. Sahai, the chief of police for Kashmir, said his investigators were looking into whether at least two other bodies were part of the same ring; setups like the killing of Mr. Paddar are known here as “encounter killings.” Each of the victims had been killed in operations conducted jointly by the police and either an Indian Army unit or a paramilitary force that operates under army command, he said.

By the end of the day on Saturday, as the investigation snowballed, a total of five bodies had been exhumed, all in the area surrounding Sumbal, and their identities were being checked.

The exhumations have not only unearthed a deep well of resentment among the people of Indian-administered Kashmir, but have also forced the Indian government to face anew long-simmering charges of abuse by Indian soldiers and the police.

Kashmiris have long accused the Indian authorities of disappearances and extrajudicial killings; one local human rights group estimates that 10,000 people have disappeared since the anti-Indian insurgency began here in 1989. Nor have civilians been immune to the savagery of militants; beheadings are among their favored tactics.

India blames its rival and neighbor, Pakistan, for aiding and arming the insurgents. Pakistan denies the charge, and does not recognize India’s claim to Kashmir. Claimed by both countries, Kashmir has been a center of strife for nearly 60 years.

While the violence has calmed considerably since a 2004 peace deal between India and Pakistan, it has hardly ended the bloodshed or diminished the presence of Indian troops here. India says troop reduction can begin only when the militants lay down their weapons.

Those troops have been blamed repeatedly for human rights abuses here, most recently by a 156-page report released last October by Human Rights Watch, which detailed dozens of cases in which, it said, the state had failed to hold its security forces accountable for suspected abductions, killings and detentions.

Among the most infamous of those cases were the March 2000 killings in the southern village of Pathirabal of five men, whom the army identified as foreign terrorists responsible for a massacre of Sikh civilians. The men, whose bodies had been burned and badly mutilated, turned out to be civilians abducted by the army, according to relatives and a subsequent federal investigation.

In a rare instance of prosecution, five Indian soldiers were charged with the killings, but the case remains stuck in the courts nearly seven years later, and the accused remain on the job. The army insists that they be tried by an internal court martial, and not a civilian court.

Human Rights Watch blamed the Indian government for what it called its “lack of commitment” to accountability and a series of Indian laws that shield soldiers in conflict zones like Kashmir. “This has led to a serious climate of impunity,” the report concluded.

Indian officials have explicitly sought to use the latest cases of encounter killings to rebut accusations of impunity, pointing out that they have taken the lead in investigating army and police officials linked to what they call isolated abuses of power.

“This is an aberration,” Mr. Sahai, the police chief, said in an interview in his office here in the summer capital of Indian-run Kashmir. “This is not the rule. We have not tried to suppress anything. Whatever are the facts of the case have come out in the open. If we are trying to set our house in order, that should increase public confidence.”

more: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/06/world/asia/06kashmir.html

Its good that they are being investigated and should be justly punished if they are guilty.No one is above the law of the land..

and to my fellow Pakistani brothers and sisters , I think you should rather be more worried about extra judicial killings taking place in Pakistan right now or punishing those who were responsible for massacre of millions, 39 yrs back.

Last edited:
He said that lacs of Kashmiris had rendered their lives for the liberation of Kashmir from Indian bondage and the sacrifices of Kashmiri martyrs would not be allowed to go waste.

Ji...the same can be said of the Indian soldiers who have laid down their lives for their motherland and for the thousands of innocent Indians who have spilled their blood due to the terrorism emanating from elsewere that has Kashmir as the root cause.

We cannot allow the sacrifices of our martyrs too to go in vain.

p.s.: But we can reduce the future sacrifices if we are content with wat we have and not covet wat other have.

I'm one of those guys who support the idea of an Independent Kashmir more than a unification with Pakistan. Simply because I think that is a lot more achievable and realistic. However the decision remains of Kashmiris alone.

On the contrary it is a invitation for disaster for the Kashmiris as Kashmir will become another Afghanistan - a playground for bitter rivals affecting the locals.

Even if they r chargesheeted they should not be discharged or demoted.....jus a suspension of a month or two (with half pay) so that they can have a break,compose themselves,re-collect themselves and then again be back with a bang.

Y should we be punishing our Majors and Cols just to appease few traitors/separatists in the Valley and then again wen there is a officer shortage in the Army..?

IA - the billion ppl of India are behind U......

OMG! You seems to have no emotions for those innocent Kashmiris which were killed by those charged!!!!
If billion people of india are behind IA for this act, then Kashmiris demand for freedom is legitimate.

Actually we want freedom fighters to kill IA serving in Kashmir only and protect innocent lives from being killed in these fake encounters by the IA

Ji wen u dont bat an eyelid to say that u want IA killed in Kashmir by the so called freedom fighters ..pls expect the same from me wen i say I give two hoots wen some traitor/deparatist is killed by my "defender of freedom" (IA personnel).

OMG! You seems to have no emotions for those innocent Kashmiris which were killed by those charged!!!!
If billion people of india are behind IA for this act, then Kashmiris demand for freedom is legitimate.

Y should I..? These ppl dont think of them as Indians...Y shuld i care for them..?

please dont take me wrongly..but it is human nature not to care for ppl wen they dont care for u.

idiotic comment karthic sri

Thanx.......I m not a saint..but a normal emotional human being who cares for those who care abt him ..not for everyone on this planet.:wave:

Does that mean u will turn a blind eye to injustice if it does not effect the people u "care".Are u so narrow minded or am i unable to understand u.Do clarify

Does that mean u will turn a blind eye to injustice if it does not effect the people u "care".Are u so narrow minded or am i unable to understand u.Do clarify

Wen the affected ppl burn the flag i bear in my heart and openly proclaim that they dont want to be Indians after utilising the tax money that I pay...then yes I dont care.

p.s.: The insensitivity is limited only for those ppl..If any other ppl suffer any injustice then im all for action against those responsible

I would also like to add another thing - my above statement doesnt imply that i have the same feelings for the inocent Pakistani civilians who are unfortunately killed by bomb blasts in their country.
My heart goes out for them.

I only hate those traitors/backstabbers who willingly utilize the aid that the central govt gives them and them proclaim that they want to be independent.By the same logic the goons of TTP also deserve the same treatment.

Hope i have cleared myself.

Its good that they are being investigated and should be justly punished if they are guilty.No one is above the law of the land..

and to my fellow Pakistani brothers and sisters , I think you should rather be more worried about extra judicial killings taking place in Pakistan right now or punishing those who were responsible for massacre of millions, 39 yrs back.

We have every right to raise voice ... Pakistan is a party in Kashmir Dispute ...

Organised madness Lastupdate:- Sun, 18 Jul 2010 18:30:00 GMT GreaterKashmir.com

Want to end the mess, explore ways to compromise
BY SAJJAD BAZAZ

The current spell of political turmoil once again reminds us that in Kashmir peace process is elusive. Peacemaking has always remained a dangerous enterprise in this world’s most dangerous conflict zone. This is because of the fact that a good section of those who matter in Kashmir conflict have vested interests in continued bloodshed here. There are scores of incidents on record when positive developments here have easily been countered by renewed waves of violence and peace sabotaged.

It is nothing new that a state of confusion prevails here. In fact it is in every cadre, be it mainstream cadres or separatist cadres, which has taken the toll of civil population. Confusion looms large within NC-Congress coalition government, where element of mistrust refuses to die. If reports are to be believed, then nothing is fine even within National Conference and resentment among its cadres has left many (those who matter) disillusioned.

The infighting within local Congress leadership is not new and has even put the Delhi high command in dilemma. These infightings within local mainstream cadres and that too when they are in power have taken toll of the government functioning.

As far as central government is concerned, their approach to deal with the realities in Kashmir reflects nothing but lack of wisdom. Dubbing stone pelting youth as associates of Lashkar-i-Toiba is surprising for the kind of poor thinking which the Delhi Darbar think tank is capable of.

Take the case of separatist cadres. State of confusion is not even new among their cadres. They have time and again shown lack of consensus while seeking resolution to the Kashmir issue.

When Omar Abdullah led coalition government with a brigade of young minds took over the reigns in the state, the time was projected as the beginning of an era of realism in the context of core Kashmir issue and development on core fronts to explore the economic potential of the state.

But the current spell of turmoil has belied the claims that this young brigade was capable of bringing peace and prosperity to the state by addressing the core political issue confronting the state. In fact, the government, so far, has been reactive and never showed any inclination to act proactively. Simply, these months of governance have proved the political mismanagement of this brigade.

The current situation has exposed the myth that all is well now in Kashmir. It is simply an act of organized madness where confusion looms large within coalition government, within National Conference Congress and within the separatist cadres.

It is pertinent to mention here that the response of the people to the election-2008 call was for good governance as well as to seek an everlasting solution to Kashmir imbroglio. While taking ongoing civil unrest into account, it can be easily said that the biggest failure of the state government has not only been on governance front but also on political front where it was supposed to seek an organized political resolution of the issue. This regime has failed to accord acceptability and respectability of the feelings of the people. The genuine aspirations of the people have not been respected and not to talk of accommodating them with dignity.

Precisely, Omar Abdullah has not only failed to capitalize on the opportunity to resurrect his party’s reputation, but has also failed to bring in change for betterment. A slight rewind of the events reminds of some important statements, which Omar Abdullah dished out in the context of Kashmir issue.

Before assuming the power, he opposed the suggestions that the Kashmir issue should be 'deep frozen'. While at the helm of affair, he himself allowed the issue to be deep frozen and never evinced any interest in working with other forces in finding a solution to the Kashmir issue.

Meanwhile, powers at New Delhi too have not changed their approach towards the Kashmir issue, despite change of regime in the state. They wrongly took the legislative assembly elections 2008 as peoples’ verdict in favour of India. Even as they took certain initiatives in the past to work out a solution to the Kashmir problem, at the end of the day such initiatives proved hoax. At a time when five working groups were appointed in 2006 by New Delhi to develop an agreed vision of Jammu and Kashmir's future, a ray of hope was visible to seek an end to the Kashmir mess. The five working groups submitted their recommendations, which never saw light.

For example, Muhammad Hamid Ansari's working group on confidence-building measures had asserted that "certain laws made operational during the period of militancy (the Armed Forces Special Powers Act, the Disturbed Areas Act) impinge on [the] fundamental rights of citizens and adversely affect the public." It demanded that the laws "should be reviewed and revoked." In addition, the working group suggested that the "cases of all persons in jail should be reviewed, and a general amnesty given to those under trial for minor offenses or who are innocent."

Similarly, working group on strengthening cross-Line of Control relations suggested that "a joint consultative group or committee of 10 members each of the legislatures of both sides may be constituted to exchange views periodically on social, economic, cultural and trade-related matters of mutual interest." In addition, "joint consultative groups of professionals may be set up for horticulture, tourism promotion and environment protection." Even working group on good governance did not confine itself only to administrative issues. It noted that "the State Human Rights Commission requires strengthening" and calls for the creation of "a high-powered committee (including political representatives and civil society members) for enforcing human rights."

All of us know the fate of such recommendations and initiatives which have only proved a time buying activity.

In today’s situation, separatist conglomerates cannot escape criticism. With a common goal, they have surprisingly always shown lack of consensus. The election 2008 has already shown them the power of peoples’ leadership. They need to base their approach on realism and a strategy to carry forward the struggle where ground situation is taken into account. They should not aspire for things, which are impractical. So far they have failed to pursue their goal (resolution of dispute) with wisdom, reasonableness and farsightedness.

The honest and frank assertion of Mirwaiz Umar Farooq during a conference in Srinagar a few years back during a seminar that ‘you don’t get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate’ should be basis of a renewed approach in modern times. They have to move from traditional stand of bashing pro-India politicians and at least seek a constructive engagement with regional parties.

At the same time, New Delhi has to come out of the cocooned politics, as it breeds miseries for Kashmiris. At least they have to listen to their own people, particularly a section of the think tank, who have time and again favoured resolution of the dispute. They have to realise that the bad governance is not the cause of the dispute, but it is the basic nature of the dispute which has not allowed good governance. If all the parties involved in the conflict want to come out of the mess, then they should explore the huge scope for compromises. Otherwise it is nothing but an organized madness.

Y should I..? These ppl dont think of them as Indians...Y shuld i care for them..?

please dont take me wrongly..but it is human nature not to care for ppl wen they dont care for u.

Mr. Karthic Sri,

Trust me brother, you're not being a NORMAL human being. You are treading on the line that if your own brother said something against you, you're ready to get him killed because he didn't care for you. If you are a Indian and believe that Kashmir is a integral part of India, then you should appreciate that the Kashmiri youths are also our brothers. more importantly, this is human life we are talking about. Just because someone does not agree with your point of view, does not make them eligible to get killed by you.

Killing violent separatist and innocent civilians cannot be viewed from the same perspective. I agree that sometimes unwanted innocent killing do happen in a war-like situation, but planned killing of civilians or even peaceful protesters in NEVER ACCEPTABLE. No one should be treated as above the law of the land...

If you give a hoot to Kashmiri civilians what's the point saying Kashmir is ours.

Back
Top Bottom