What's new

Kashmir | News & Discussions.

So, is new media only reinforcing old stereotypes?

• Total voters
The Associated Press: Protesters, police face off on streets of Kashmir

SRINAGAR, India — The capital of Indian-controlled Kashmir is seething with rage.

Over the past month, crowds of young men demanding independence from India have held mass protests and pounded police with stones. Authorities hit back with rolling curfews, large-scale arrests and a rare deployment by the army into the streets of Srinagar.

The violence, which has killed 15 protesters and bystanders, set a tense backdrop for a meeting Thursday between the foreign ministers of India and Pakistan, nuclear-armed neighbors that fought two wars over the divided Himalayan region and have been unable to reach agreement over its future.

Hopes for the talks were further clouded after the top official in Pakistan-held Kashmir called on thousands of members of banned militant groups Tuesday to drive India out of all of Kashmir.

Those inside Kashmir say they have run out of patience waiting for the two countries — who each claim the entire region as its own — to get their peace efforts back on track after the 2008 Mumbai attacks. Now, they are taking matters into their own hands.

"People have lost faith," separatist leader Mirwaiz Umar Farooq said from his home in Srinagar, where authorities are keeping him under house arrest after he led several street marches. "The constituency of peace is shrinking day by day."

In the nearly empty alleys and warrens of Srinagar, "Go Back India" is carved into wooden doors, painted on the streets and written in careful block letters on the walls. Razor wire is uncoiled across roads as paramilitary forces in helmets and padded vests enforce curfew restrictions that have been in place on-and-off since last month.

A war between armed insurgents and government forces that began in 1989 and left 68,000 dead has ebbed, with militant violence dropping every year. The new protesters favor marches, sit-ins and rock barrages to challenge the security forces ubiquitous throughout the cities, towns and villages of Indian Kashmir.

"We don't want the world to see us as hooligans carrying guns. We want a peaceful movement, but we are forced to resort to stones," said Ahmed, a 27-year-old coppersmith, as he drank milky tea in a bare concrete room off an alley. Like all the protesters interviewed, Ahmed declined to give his last name for fear he would be picked up by security forces who have arrested hundreds of people in recent weeks, including the head of Kashmir's Bar Association.
Life in the Nowshera neighborhood now follows a daily rhythm. The security forces keep the area locked down during the day and when they withdraw in the evening, the residents come out of their homes and bombard them with stones, said Ahmed. Troops retaliate by smashing windows on their way out, he said.

"The harder they push, the harder we become," said Shafat, 25, whose brother was disappeared, and presumably killed, in 1991.
Outside, a group of men sitting in front of a shop jump up and instinctively run when they hear a car turn the corner, presuming it to be paramilitary troops.

Many protest leaders have gone underground, and students Naweed, 21, and Ubaid, 20, were so concerned about being nabbed they sent Associated Press journalists to a series of destinations, where they would call with new directions, to ensure they weren't being followed.
The men demanded India immediately withdraw the security forces from the cities and towns, rescind laws giving troops special powers here and release those arrested.

"We just want freedom. That's it," said Ubaid, as he stood among a group of men showing off their scars from rubber bullets and live rounds fired by security forces in recent years.

The men denied Indian accusations that Pakistani militants orchestrated the violence and even paid protesters.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah said the protests were probably some combination of militant agitation and spontaneous anger, and he defended the government crackdown as vital to calming the street.

"I had to put a stop to this cycle of violence," he said, even as he acknowledged only a political solution to the Kashmir issue could bring long-term peace.

The demonstrations are becoming an annual ritual in Kashmir. When the snow melts in the spring, tempers flare, and angry residents find plenty of reasons to take to the streets.

In 2008, thousands protested the transfer of 100 acres (40 hectares) of land to a Hindu shrine, which the Kashmiris saw as an attempt to force demographic change on the only Muslim-majority region in India.

Last summer, reports that two women were raped and murdered by security forces provided the spark. A federal investigation later said they accidentally drowned.

Last month, anger boiled over again with even more ferocity when a teenager was killed after being hit in the head by a tear gas grenade fired by police.

"It's the environment of despair, disillusionment, which is largely responsible," said Mohammed Yusuf Tarigami, a communist lawmaker.

The protests have driven out tourists at the height of the season, forced businesses to close in the face of rotating strikes and curfews, and cost a region that was growing ever-more prosperous with the waning of the insurgency billions of rupees (hundreds of millions of dollars).

It also wiped out the rare optimism that emerged after the 2008 election that brought Abdullah to power. Many in Srinagar now say they have lost faith in their politicians.

For now, the young men in the streets say they remain loyal to Farooq and other separatist leaders, but their anger could make compromise difficult.

"We've told our leaders to accept nothing short of freedom," said Ahmed. "The moment they sell out, we will stone them as well."

Kashmiris will not stop this time around!

I always knew Mirwaiz had it in him to consolidate the protest.

NO BROTHER .IT IS OBLIGATION OF EVERY PAKISTANI BECOZ IT IS THEIR RIGHT BUT IF ANYONE ATTACK TO OUR LAND SO,WE SHOULD OFFENSE OF OUR RIGHTS SO IT IS A DISSCUSSION FORUM YOU SHOULD KNOW THE OPINIONS AND FIND THE TRUTH WHAT IS GOOD.

Chacha, do you know who the writer Arun Rajnath is?

Yes, very well. He is a retard who is perennially at odd against indian intelligence agencies. He has accused indian intel agencies harrassing him time and again.

SOUTH ASIAN TRIBUNE:cheers:

PS: Do you know who owns South Asian Tribune? You answer my question now.

jana Ji, Pakistan today Is standing in the Depth of Anti-India policy and Any further would Sink it.... Pakistan's atrocities were And are Witnessed By the World ever Since its independence, No Matter In any part of the world , Any terrorist activites occur, The Root Cause Is Pakistan and Its Intelligence agency... So its Not Only towards India, Pakistan has an Anti-World policy to be fair Enough....

And I Dont say India is a poor Innocent Kid Licking A Lolly pop... India is No Different, But the Only thing is People Are United In India Seeing the development In India Not because of Anti-pakistan Policy... Atleast I dont see My Foreign Minister Crying Anti-pakistan Slogans and Inciting the masses .

Thanks for reminding me about 1971 war, its the Prize you Paid for disturbing us since independence

Well sir sorry for jumping in the middle of the argument as you were talking to Jana, and I am quoting you from that statement.
But please wake up from your sleep try to smell some coffee. "Pakistan has the anti world policy" I could help but feel sorry on your ignorance, and this goes on to show that a person who has held a responsible position in a society is brainwashed to such an extent then we shouldn't be surprised on the predicament of others. And as far as your FM's not saying any thing about Pakistan, well your whole gov functions on the basis of Anti Pakistan agendas, we see it every where in every statement of theirs. In any acquisition's that we make, and still you guys are living in a lala land believing your selfs to be saints. Well sorry to say but your views are just :tdown:

And wow at the indians when their own IB is saying that Pakistan is not involved they are trying to find any excuses in that as well, just for the sake of blaming Pakistan. Pathetic I say.

facepalm.jpg

Chacha, do you know who the writer Arun Rajnath is?

They only believe in that news or propaganda which satifies their occupation of Kashmir. Nothing new from this nation.

I did not know our IB has hired a pakistani news agency to publish their findings.

So you cant find that in any of your own papers or they just simply refused to believe it. Just like you.

You guys just cant accept the failures in your own system, and have to blame us for every thing related or not. I wonder if there was no Pakistan then who would have been the reason for the garbage that flies out of your country.

Well sir sorry for jumping in the middle of the argument as you were talking to Jana, and I am quoting you from that statement.
But please wake up from your sleep try to smell some coffee. "Pakistan has the anti world policy" I could help but feel sorry on your ignorance, and this goes on to show that a person who has held a responsible position in a society is brainwashed to such an extent then we shouldn't be surprised on the predicament of others. And as far as your FM's not saying any thing about Pakistan, well your whole gov functions on the basis of Anti Pakistan agendas, we see it every where in every statement of theirs. In any acquisition's that we make, and still you guys are living in a lala land believing your selfs to be saints. Well sorry to say but your views are just :tdown:

Dear, You are Jumping into the Middle As you said, but Since you have Jumped In, I would Like to reply to you....You questioned My Society,I Live in a Society where people are Not Free to use Weapons, I Live in a Society which Does not want the Normal Citizen of its to have Craze towards Sophisticated Weapons Which Inturn would Create Anti Social Elements ....

No Matter what you tell, what you think but My point stands Still....Yes Pakistan is the root cause of terror, The man in Your avatar(zardari) Himself said so, dint he???

Yes Jonasad I am waiting. I have answered your question, now you answer mine.

Who owns South Asian Tribune for which Arun Rajnath works?

Aray Major sahab hum tau shant hee shant hain. Lakin ap bhee thora sa tau bhagwan ka kof karo. chotay chotay bachoon ko fake encounter main mar ka bhee ap ka zameer malamat nai karta ap ko :)

Pakistan is united due to Indian terrorism and Indian hate since the creation and we have seen your terrorism in one part of Pakistan .

Unfortunately Pakistan did not find time to have a full fledged solid anti-India policy because as soon as we got independence we had many financial, military and other problems sans resources. Then came 65 war then came Indian terrorism in 71 and then came Afghan war.

So i feel personally we have not found time to have an anti-India policy and the day we are free to do it then i am sure you will see what does it mean.

On the other hand as far as diplomacy for resolving Kashmir issue well India has never done that, thats why you have to post more than half a million force in Indian Occupied Kashmir to quell public protest.

Indian government will keep on using cheap tactics like showing fake shining India, fake elitism on its vulgar TV soups and shows to keep its population in dark about the dark and poor side of India as well as keep them away from what is going on in Held Kashmir.

As much u try to pull the garb of righteousness and modesty in ur posts hate for India is quite evident in your posts. Also of what what terrorism are u talking about TTP , what are u talking they are freedom fighters fighting for their rights just as those that were fighting against India from long time.

I know u will not agree but this logic was propounded by you, yes because once in a thread about Bhagat Singh u asked us Indians to accept that if he is a freedom fighter then those in Kashmir are also the same and if they are terrorists he is too. So by this logic TTp are also Freedom fighters aren't they.

Our Intelligence agencies have pulled up lot of reports reporting ISI hand and then u couldn't find them reliable because they are from India right!!! but now since a postive report has come out u pounce on this. Chalak ha bahut chalak. But cleverness is not urs only. Mind it.

Greatest hypocracy this is by all Pakistani members, so according to you the Indian sources are credible only when they come up with something positive about Pakistan. :smokin:

Dear, You are Jumping into the Middle As you said, but Since you have Jumped In, I would Like to reply to you....You questioned My Society,I Live in a Society where people are Not Free to use Weapons, I Live in a Society which Does not want the Normal Citizen of its to have Craze towards Sophisticated Weapons Which Inturn would Create Anti Social Elements ....

No Matter what you tell, what you think but My point stands Still....Yes Pakistan is the root cause of terror, The man in Your avatar(zardari) Himself said so, dint he???

Well you are right your society is not the one where any one can use weapons, but aint it the same society that has a record of ethic riots. Heck you guys have 2 Favorited sports, cricket, and then killing any one that is in a minority. And yes the society that you live in dont keep weapons to do so as they get state sponsorship of weapons when needed.

And what a man you are quoting to make your point, but still I would doubt it that he had said it exactly the way you are referring it to be. So I would like you to present a quote a reference to your claim regarding Zardaris statements.

And finally when ones own hands are not clean, you should not shamelessly point fingers at others dirt. Or unless you are shamelessly just doing it.

As much u try to pull the garb of righteousness and modesty in ur posts hate for India is quite evident in your posts. Also of what what terrorism are u talking about TTP , what are u talking they are freedom fighters fighting for their rights just as those that were fighting against India from long time.

I know u will not agree but this logic was propounded by you, yes because once in a thread about Bhagat Singh u asked us Indians to accept that if he is a freedom fighter then those in Kashmir are also the same and if they are terrorists he is too. So by this logic TTp are also Freedom fighters aren't they.

Our Intelligence agencies have pulled up lot of reports reporting ISI hand and then u couldn't find them reliable because they are from India right!!! but now since a postive report has come out u pounce on this. Chalak ha bahut chalak. But cleverness is not urs only. Mind it.

Greatest hypocracy this is by all Pakistani members, so according to you the Indian sources are credible only when they come up with something positive about Pakistan. :smokin:

Do you even in your right mind have an idea of a freedom fighter. Or are just spewing f!lth just for the sake of it.

Well you are right your society is not the one where any one can use weapons, but aint it the same society that has a record of ethic riots. Heck you guys have 2 Favorited sports, cricket, and then killing any one that is in a minority. And yes the society that you live in dont keep weapons to do so as they get state sponsorship of weapons when needed.

And what a man you are quoting to make your point, but still I would doubt it that he had said it exactly the way you are referring it to be. So I would like you to present a quote a reference to your claim regarding Zardaris statements.

And finally when ones own hands are not clean, you should not shamelessly point fingers at others dirt. Or unless you are shamelessly just doing it.

Riots are A part of Democratic Governance, If there is No Riots and protest we dont deserve to be called a Democratic ,Secular Nation.... but that Dosent mean that the law Keepers Stay Calm and Watch the Protest end in a Violence....

My Country is a True Evidence of Secularism, My Country's defense was framed by a Muslim, My Countries Nation Is standing tall In front of the World because of a Sikh, My Nation Is Governed By a Hindu, My Nations Defense is handed Over to a Christian....

And Zardaris words are Not needed to be quoted, You know it Yourself what he said, Dint he say that the Terror was Started in Pakistan to destabilize India??? Now arnt the same terrorists Around the world, creating a Mess Of this globe? What should one call it Other than Global Terrorism????????

Our Hands Are clean, we are not a Liability to the World......

Riots are A part of Democratic Governance, If there is No Riots and protest we dont deserve to be called a Democratic ,Secular Nation.... but that Dosent mean that the law Keepers Stay Calm and Watch the Protest end in a Violence....

My Country is a True Evidence of Secularism, My Country's defense was framed by a Muslim, My Countries Nation Is standing tall In front of the World because of a Sikh, My Nation Is Governed By a Hindu, My Nations Defense is handed Over to a Christian....

And Zardaris words are Not needed to be quoted, You know it Yourself what he said, Dint he say that the Terror was Started in Pakistan to destabilize India??? Now arnt the same terrorists Around the world, creating a Mess Of this globe? What should one call it Other than Global Terrorism????????

I hope that you do know the definition of hallucination, well good luck living in one.

Our Hands Are clean, we are not a Liability to the World......

So are ours, and we dont have to answer to you guys for any thing neither do we owe you guys any thing. So keep your thoughts, so your so called well wishes, and your mombo Jombo to your self. And this is not an advise to you only sir but to your entire country, that we are who we are not what you think we are, and definitely what you want the whole world to think we are.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom