What's new

Kashmir | News & Discussions.

So, is new media only reinforcing old stereotypes?

• Total voters
great news...more terrorists killed.

May the indian martyrs RIP.

Village drummers, traditional Kashmiri songs, rose petals and sweets greeted Dr Shah Faisal, who stood first in the 2010 IAS topper when he arrived home in Srinagar [ Images ] on Friday afternoon.

Watch the videos here
IAS topper comes home amidst hugs, cheers - Videos - India - IBNLive

Dad's killing changed my life: IAS topper

The Gul Bahar colony home of the Shahs had been illuminated with electric lights as a group of village drummers from Faisal's north Kashmir [ Images ] Sogam village greeted their hero.

Dressed smartly in a black suit and bubbling with joy and confidence, the 27-year old local doctor who was received by relatives, friends, neighbours and some local RTI activists could just not have expected more. His mother Mubeena, a school teacher, was unable to control tears.

Women inside the house were singing traditional Kashmiri welcome songs as rose petals were showered on their hero by well-wishers, relatives and friends.

The festivities in the home started yesterday immediately after the news was flashed that Faisal had topped the IAS select list.

Faisal has a humble background.

Born to middle class parents in north Kashmir's Sogam village in Kupwara district, 120, km from Srinagar, Shah Faisal passed his Class 10 exam from a government school in his native village.

His father, Gulam Rasool Shah, a school teacher was killed by unknown militants in 2002 and that is when his mother, Mubeena decided to shift to Srinagar along with her three children, Faisal, Shah Nawaz and daughter Tilat.

Faisal was admitted to the Tyndale Biscoe Memorial School in Srinagar from where he passed his plus two exams before being selected to the Jhelum Valley Medical College for the MBBS course.

"He stood first in the MBBS exams and later did his internship from. He decided to sit for the civil services preliminary exams. After passing his prelims, Shah Faisal did his coaching for the main exams from the Jamia Milia Islamia in Delhi [ Images ].

"I knew he would do the entire family proud one day and that moment of reckoning his come in our family today", said mother Mubeena

Faisal's younger brother, Shah Nawaz is also a doctor while his sister, Tilat is a teacher in a village school in Sogam.

Shah Nawaz said he had no doubt that Faisal would make it to the coveted IAS, but was not very sure that his brother would stand at the top of the country's most coveted select list this year.

"Allah has answered our prayers and today we bow our heads before Allah."

Last edited:
It is high time Kashmir becomes a major player in main stream politics. People who are for peace and who want the people of Kashmir to prosper should come forward in to the system. No system is perfect or even workable if the system is elitist. Common people like this IAS topper should leave a mark on Kashmir and pave the way for many to take this path.
:cheers:

This is an unfortunate incident that a 11 days old baby passed away.. but who was that 11 years old baby going to become? A surviver under Indian occupation? I pray that 11 years old baby had survived so he could have joined those protesters and had acted against occupying forces under Indian uniform.

He could have become an IAS officer if he chose to!!!!!

Kashmiri is IAS Topper

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Village drummers, traditional Kashmiri songs, rose petals and sweets greeted Dr Shah Faisal, who stood first in the 2010 IAS topper when he arrived home in Srinagar [ Images ] on Friday afternoon.

Watch the video here
IAS topper comes home amidst hugs, cheers - Videos - India - IBNLive

The Gul Bahar colony home of the Shahs had been illuminated with electric lights as a group of village drummers from Faisal's north Kashmir [ Images ] Sogam village greeted their hero.

Dressed smartly in a black suit and bubbling with joy and confidence, the 27-year old local doctor who was received by relatives, friends, neighbours and some local RTI activists could just not have expected more. His mother Mubeena, a school teacher, was unable to control tears.

Women inside the house were singing traditional Kashmiri welcome songs as rose petals were showered on their hero by well-wishers, relatives and friends.

The festivities in the home started yesterday immediately after the news was flashed that Faisal had topped the IAS select list.

Faisal has a humble background.

Born to middle class parents in north Kashmir's Sogam village in Kupwara district, 120, km from Srinagar, Shah Faisal passed his Class 10 exam from a government school in his native village.

His father, Gulam Rasool Shah, a school teacher was killed by unknown militants in 2002 and that is when his mother, Mubeena decided to shift to Srinagar along with her three children, Faisal, Shah Nawaz and daughter Tilat.

Faisal was admitted to the Tyndale Biscoe Memorial School in Srinagar from where he passed his plus two exams before being selected to the Jhelum Valley Medical College for the MBBS course.

"He stood first in the MBBS exams and later did his internship from. He decided to sit for the civil services preliminary exams. After passing his prelims, Shah Faisal did his coaching for the main exams from the Jamia Milia Islamia in Delhi [ Images ].

"I knew he would do the entire family proud one day and that moment of reckoning his come in our family today", said mother Mubeena

Faisal's younger brother, Shah Nawaz is also a doctor while his sister, Tilat is a teacher in a village school in Sogam.

Shah Nawaz said he had no doubt that Faisal would make it to the coveted IAS, but was not very sure that his brother would stand at the top of the country's most coveted select list this year.

"Allah has answered our prayers and today we bow our heads before Allah."

Dad killed by ultras, doctor from Kashmir tops IAS - India - The Times of India

NEW DELHI/SRINAGAR: He comes from a remote village in Kupwara district of strife-torn Kashmir and studied in a village school. Eight years ago, his father was gunned down by militants. But Dr Shah Faisal, a 26-year-old MBBS, has fought the odds and won. On Thursday, Faisal became the first Kashmiri ever to top the civil services exam.

"I don't have words to express how I feel, I am not able to speak. I just wish I was with my family. I am just waiting to hug my mother," Faisal, who came to the capital before the results to "get away from the stress of waiting", told TOI.

Even through the elation, Faisal gets emotional at the mention of Kashmir. Describing himself as a victim of conflict, he says, "I have watched the bloodshed in Kashmir very closely. I was devastated when my father Ghulam Rasool Shah was gunned down. It is him that I miss the most today. He used to dote on me and taught me English and maths when I studied in school," he says.

In Srinagar, his mother Mubeena Begum, thrilled beyond words, says, "Faisal has made every Kashmiri proud with his hard work and dedication."

Her husband, she says, was killed because he refused shelter to militants. Ironically, it was the tragedy that opened a window to the wider world for the family. "After the killing, I shifted from village Sheikh Nar in Lolab Sogam area of Kupwara to Srinagar with my children ^ two sons and a daughter. My elder son Shah Faisal had done his class X from Sogam high school while my two other children were in middle school there. I was a broken woman but never gave up and fought against all odds to bring up my children," says Mubeena, a teacher, like her husband.

Faisal, who did his MBBS from Srinagar's Sher-i-Kashmir Medical College, says he was confident of qualifying but never imagined he would be right on top. His mission now is to serve his people in the strife torn area of Kashmir. "I wanted to serve my people and in the role of an IAS officer I would like to reduce the communication gap between the people and the administration. I will give audience to them to hear their problems, cares and worries. I want to bring a change, especially for women and the youth," he says, insisting that he never received any formal training for the UPSC exam.

Among his inspirations, Faisal counts an IPS officer from his state. "I was inspired by one Abdul Gani Mir of my area in Kupwara, who passed his IPS in 1994. I have been in touch with him since 2007, when I thought of sitting for the civil services exams," he says. Gani is currently DIG, CID in Jammu and Kashmir Police.

Faisal's younger brother Shah Nawaz is also a doctor while his younger sister Talat Shah is a library assistant.

To the freedom fighters... may they rest in peace. :azn:

To the tools of the tyranny that died.:haha:

Hope those so called freedom fighters were from Kashmir not from anywhere else:whistle:

Even through the elation, Faisal gets emotional at the mention of Kashmir. Describing himself as a victim of conflict, he says, "I have watched the bloodshed in Kashmir very closely. I was devastated when my father Ghulam Rasool Shah was gunned down. It is him that I miss the most today. He used to dote on me and taught me English and maths when I studied in school," he says.

In Srinagar, his mother Mubeena Begum, thrilled beyond words, says, "Faisal has made every Kashmiri proud with his hard work and dedication."

Her husband, she says, was killed because he refused shelter to militants. Ironically, it was the tragedy that opened a window to the wider world for the family.

One has the deepest respect for Faisal, and especially for his brave mother Mubeena Begum. Her enormous courage, after seeing her husband gunned down by terrorists, is moving.

2 more bite the dust :yahoo:

J&K: Forces bust hideouts, kill 2 terrorists: Rediff.com India News

Two terrorists were killed in a fierce gunbattle with security forces who smashed two ultra hideouts and seized a huge cache of arms and ammunition in Kashmir [ Images ] valley on Saturday.

Security forces, acting on specific information that some militants were hiding in Shah Nagri Forest in Handwara, some 80 km from Srinagar [ Images ], cordoned off the area, official sources said.

As the troops zeroed in on the militants, they opened fire triggering a gunbattle in which two ultras were killed, they said.

The identity and group affiliations of the slain terrorists were yet to be ascertained, the sources said.

Security forces also busted two militant hideouts and seized a large quantity of arms and ammunition in the valley.

A hideout each was smashed in Tral belt in Southern Pulwama and in Kangan area in Ganderbal district, the sources said.

The seizure included two rifles, five rockets, several hand grenades, an Under Barrel Grenade Launcher, an IED fitted on a gas cylinder, a Pak-made pistol and an AK magazine with 14 rounds.

Back
Top Bottom