What's new

Kashmir | News & Discussions.

So, is new media only reinforcing old stereotypes?

• Total voters
Congress minister stokes row, give "Azadi" to Kashmir
PTI, Dec 6, 2010, 08.00pm IST

JAMMU: A Jammu and Kashmir minister belonging to Congress has stoked a controversy by suggesting that Kashmir be granted "Azadi", remarks that embarassed his party which termed them as his personal view.

Addressing a rally at Bani in Kathua district on Sunday, Congress Minister for Health and Horticulture Sham Lal Sharma had raised the demand for making Jammu a separate state, giving union territory status to Ladakh and granting "Azadi" to Kashmir.

"Give freedom to Kashmir, that's more beneficial. Give separate statehood status to Jammu and make Ladakh a union territory. If this state has to be developed, this is the only solution", Sharma said in the presence of PCC chief Saifuddin Soz.

His remarks drew a sharp attack from state BJP which alleged they "tantamount to treason" and demanded his dismissal from the government and arrest.

In damage-control mode, Congress spokesman Abhishek Singhvi described Sharma's remarks as his "personal view" and said the party's stand "is very clear--autonomy within the framework of the Indian Constitution".

The remarks by Sham Lal Sharma had made Soz and his senior party leaders uneasy at the rally. In fact, Soz had tried to initiate damage control and expressed his party's resolve to keep all the three regions of the state united to ensure equal and balanced development in all the regions.

"We are all answerable to AICC President Sonia Gandhi and what we say here be considered as the Congress word and we must speak along the party's line", Soz said.

Seeking to downplay Sharma's view, Singhvi told reporters in Delhi that "I can only describe it as a personal opinion (of Sharma). He was having a discussion at rally in his own home state and certainly this is his personal view".

"Some of the words which I have heard, I can either describe it as a metaphorical speak and should not be taken literally", he said adding "in any case, we do not accept any such allegations".

BJP National Executive Member and former Pradesh President Nirmal Singh told reporters here that "Sharma has taken oath under the Constitution and his statement tantamounts to treason and therefore an FIR should be registered against him and he should be arrested forthwith".

After making such a statement Sharma has no locus standi to be in the ministry and he should be dismissed Singh said.
Congress minister stokes row, give "Azadi" to Kashmir - The Times of India

Congress Minister is a hero, and a giant amongst pygmies, he knows that it is the interest of india to release a captive people. :victory:

Just beautiful, brings tears of joy to ones eyes, to see that the people of Kashmir are succeeding in getting indians to think their way.

Last edited by a moderator:
A trusted minister feels what we Pakistanis have been saying for decades now, "Mr Singh tear down that wall"

sounds like ''sharma'' is more aware of ground realities and accepts that Kashmiris want nothing to do with hindustan

lol Do you seriously feel that way while reading our responses on PDF?

Good for you! :lol:

Parley Captain Sparrow, how be the Black Pearl, and how be Port Royale and has news of the indian minister reached the famed Pirates of the Caribbean.:yahoo:

Parley Captain Sparrow, how be the Black Pearl, and how be Port Royale and has news of the indian minister reached the famed Pirates of the Caribbean.:yahoo:

Most certainly sire!

The lamentable tidings of the minister's illness hath reached us.

A bottle of rum might be sent to the minister with a 'Get Well Soon' card.

P.S. I have abandoned the black pearl though. En route to the fountain of youth on a rubber dinghy riding stranger tides.

sounds like ''sharma'' is more aware of ground realities and accepts that Kashmiris want nothing to do with hindustan

This sharma geezer is a trusted member of the indian establishment and therefore his sources are impeccable. He has given a huge fillip to the Kashmiri cause, it is a fact now that members of the govt know the futility of the occupation their. :bunny::pakistan:

This sharma geezer is a trusted member of the indian establishment and therefore his sources are impeccable. He has given a huge fillip to the Kashmiri cause, it is a fact now that members of the govt know the futility of the occupation their. :bunny::pakistan:

You're right...."Sharma" has said it so it must be true....I think you should deal with this trusted member of the Indian establishment to "free Kashmir"....Im sure you will succeed since Sharma's opinion is held in high regard in India....LOL!

BTW....Who is this Sharma again and what are his "impeccable sources"?

You're right...."Sharma" has said it so it must be true....I think you should deal with this trusted member of the Indian establishment to "free Kashmir"....Im sure you will succeed since Sharma's opinion is held in high regard in India....LOL!

BTW....Who is this Sharma again and what are his "impeccable sources"?

He is a state minister for health is he not, and he is just the start, indian intellectuals have increasingly appealed to their govt, to allow the Kashmiri people their freedom.

This could be the indian minister himself :)

just a bit of light hearted banter :azn:

One must realize that the power to "break" India lies in the decision of the Indians.....meaning unless the masses of India believe Kashmir needs to be freed and vote for the same....no politician or political party can unilaterally decide the fate of this region...

So as much as people on the other side of the fence feel that this is some sort of an endorsement of their stand, it is simply an opinion and thats all it is!

One must realize that the power to "break" India lies in the decision of the Indians.....meaning unless the masses of India believe Kashmir needs to be freed and vote for the same....no politician or political party can unilaterally decide the fate of this region...

So as much as people on the other side of the fence feel that this is some sort of an endorsement of their stand, it is simply an opinion and thats all it is!

Does my signature reflect the idea of your post ?:azn:

^^ Give us a break will ya. The dude first says he is a 'Christian'(3:07), then says he is a 'Muslim'(4:09). Let him first figure out what religion he belongs to, then may be we shall give him a hearing. I actually stopped listening once he said that he is 'Christian but... I'm a circumcised Muslim'(4:15) (whatever that means).

An effing liar.

Back
Top Bottom