What's new

Karzai: I'll send troops to Pakistan

Has GOP reacted

Yes there is some strong reaction. i guess the news chennels are showing some officials reacting to it but i dint find the time to watch so anyone here ? can you post who is reacting to it.

In fact that is the only positive I see from the Taliban rule.

But this begs the question: Why can't the USA buy out these warlords and end this menace? Ultimately most of this drug heads west.

NO US can not buy them for matter that these warlords only looking after their own interests besides they also know that US needs them at this time and US is using them for own agenda and policy, hence they find the situation more favourable as on the one hand they are getting backing of US and got ministries and other lucrative posts in the Afghan government while on the other hand US also agrees to look the other way regarding poppy and drug trade. US has no other choice as these warlords can change loyalties any time.

As AM says (and I tend to trust him on this) Taliban is being financed by this money. What else could be their source of finance?

Jana,
US analysts have themselves concluded that drug money is playing large part in funding the Taliban.

Indeed they are getting money by this but at the same time as I said the drug trade is prevalent massively in areas under NATAO/US forces. The same end up in the markets in the west and US. The money coming from this is doing nothing good to the US but one wonders how stupid they are for turning their back to the activities of warlords backed by them.

@AM
Yes the US analysts will say it and though the Taliban are getting money through poppy cultivation but these analysts have to have a face cover for US failure in Afghanistan. If these analysts want a fair account of the problem they should have mentioned the follies of NATO/US regarding allowing warlords to carry on the drug trade.

At the cost of repeating myself, if it is not Poppy what is the major source of Taliban finance?

There is no afghan army. it is indian army wearing uniform of afghan army.
They very much can come in from voids and terrorise locals.
It is already established from the history of occupied kashmir that how much capable indian army is in killing civilians.

How true.

And how did you know this?

Worked alongside such "Indian Army" chaps against Pakistan in the attack?

There is very little doubt in that the Taliban remnants and other insurgents do in fact have a haven in West Pakistan from where they operate. Many of the details are supposedly covered in Ahmad Rashid's latest book. I haven't read the book yet but I did get a chance to speak with Ahmed Rashid (recently when he was giving a lecture at the University I'm affiliated with) who claims to have gathered up a lot of evidence regarding this matter along with Dr. Barnett Rubin. This of course is not really a new earth shattering revelation; it has been known for quite some time now and has prompted the NATO forces to maintain their hot pursuit and strike policies.

Having said this, I'm not really sure why Karzai is making these statements publicly. He is only weakening the overall prognosis of the operations.

Pakistan PM warns Afghanistan on cross-border attacks ISLAMABAD, June 15 (AFP) - Pakistan will not allow anyone to interfere in its internal affairs, Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani said Sunday after Afghan President Hamid Karzai said cross-border attacks on militants were justified. ”We will neither interfere in the internal affairs of any country, nor will we allow anyone to interfere in our affairs,” Gilani told private a private TV channel. Such statements will not help in the normalisation of friendly relations between the two countries and will hurt the sentiments of people on both sides of the border,” he said, however adding he wanted “friendly” ties with Kabul. Gilani countered that Pakistan was taking all possible measure to stop militant activity across the long, rugged frontier. “We are not fighting this war for America but it is our own war and we want to eliminate extremism and terrorism which is the root cause of all evils,” he said. (Posted @ 19:54 PST) - DAWN - Latest Stories; June 15, 2008

I'm sure what karzai said he meant, after all he can send a bunch of soliders which when get kick hard on their *** will call NATO air strikes which will blast the living day light out of FC soliders there and what next, of course we will hear our defence sec making statement we have nothing to hit at 30,000 feet.
What Karzai is saying, it seems that he has the final go from the US. Just look at the timing, 13 FC men killed and now we get this statement. Obiviously if it wasnt for the US Karzai couldnt go for such bold statements himself alone. US doesnt want to come in front just yet for obivious reasons, we are there ally, so Karzai was the man perfectly suited for this job.

i really wouldn't mind if baitullah mehsud is taken out i consider him to be a enemy of pakistan too but i want him and all his pakistani taliban dealt with by pakistani forces not afghan ones how many peaceful tribal chiefs and soldiers/civillians have his people killed ? this peace deal is pretty much just allowing him to get away with it i mean isn't he thought to be responsible for bhutto's death what about punishment for that ?? I really hate karzai but to be fair mehsud is freely operating in pakistan with this deal and he's also said he'll continue to attack afghan/nato forces so what do we expect them to do ?

btw didn't karzai live and get married in pakistan and even today he still keeps his family there ? lol freakin ingrate somebody should remind him what country he fled to as a refugee and we let him live peacefully in our pakistani cities like quetta and who feeds,clothes and shelters 2+ million of his people :angry:

Yes there is some strong reaction. i guess the news chennels are showing some officials reacting to it but i dint find the time to watch so anyone here ? can you post who is reacting to it.

No foreign interference allowed in Pakistan’s internal affairs: PM
Updated at: 2141 PST, Sunday, June 15, 2008

ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Syed Yousuf Raza Gilani has swiftly responded to Afghan President Hamid Karzai’s harsh warning to Pakistan saying that no one will be allowed to interfere in Pakistan's internal affairs.

President Hamid Karzai had threatened to attack militants within Pakistan's borders, saying his country had a right to do so in self-defence. According to a foreign news agency, Prime Minister Gilani said in an interview that Pakistan would not interfere in the internal affairs of any country and expects others to extend the same courtesy.

The PM said that Afghan President's statement would only hurt the sentiments of those on both sides of the border. He said Pakistan wants "friendly" ties with Kabul. Gilani reiterated that Pakistan is not involved in the war on terror to please America, but to eliminate extremism and terrorism.

No foreign interference allowed in Pakistan’s internal affairs: PM - GEO.tv

Pakistan denounces Karzai’s threat

Updated at: 2250 PST, Sunday, June 15, 2008

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan on Sunday once again clarified that on Pakistan side of the border along Afghanistan it is the Pakistani troops who have the sole responsibility to take action against the terrorists.

Commenting on the statement of Afghan President Hamid Karzai, the Foreign Office spokesman Mohammad Sadiq said, "We have seen the news item quoting President Karzai but have not seen the transcript of his statement."

The spokesman, however, said Pakistan has a clear position on the military action - on the Afghan side of the border, the Afghan national army (ANA), ISAF and US army could take whatever action they want against the terrorists.

He said, "On the Pakistani side of the border, it is the Pakistani troops who have the sole responsibility to take action."

The spokesman emphasised that any statement that negated this basic principle neither helped in the war on terrorism, nor promoted stability in the region.
Pakistan denounces Karzai’s threat

Jana there has been strong criticism on this statement.

Bhai Interceptor... Comment please.

This is salt on wounds. When will we develop a spine! At least Musharraf went in your face with this low life trash.

Let's see what is Zardari going to do?

Right Asim Bhai, I shall start off with that Zardari should not be placed in every controversy that take place, simply I would see that this the new coalition government is committed to improve the inherited situation in our tribal area simply.

Look Asim bhai, a country that cant even defend its own prisons will go out and threaten Pakistan, a country not even a country should I say, the warlord in Kabul i.e Karzai makes a statement, he cant even call Afghanistan, Afghanistan after all there are war lords who control various other parts of Afghanistan.

The warlords, of course, as friends of the "coalition", are also part of the government. They have private armies, raise private funds, pursue private interests and control private treasuries. None of these do they wish to give up. All of them threaten the long-term future of Afghanistan, the short-term prospects of holding elections, the immediate possibilities of reconstruction and the threadbare credibility of Hamid Karzai's government.
Isabel Hilton: Now we pay the warlords to tyrannise the Afghan people | Politics | The Guardian

Dear Asim what they say is non essential and to me that is not the debate, the debate is how can we tackle with this in future.

Points that should be noted,

1. The Afghans signed the Afghan Transit Trade in 1965, this is the backbone to most of their commerce and economy, I am not saying threaten them, but merely showing that they leach on us mostly though, they have other trade ties with countries like (India, Iran, Turkmenistan and Europe) these ties are quite basic compared to Pakistan.

2. Again I stress the need to Legislate a new WoT in the Parliament, this situation with respect was inherited by the previous government, and I also see that since the new Government came there has been lots of Pressure from the US, before any parties even got any votes, the US posse came to PPP and PML(N), for the discussion on how they will support US on WoT, it was reported by Nawaz who headed the conference on behave of both political forces, that he would see this in the Parliament and I say that too.

3. This Part is linked with Part 2, Foreign Policy again this I stress should be in discussion in the Parliament and as Asif Ali Zardari said "there will be a foreign Policy that suits us and our neighbours," so this shall also change the worsening ties we have with our neighbours in particular. This subject has been a subject that many parties want to debate especially Asfand wants this in Parliamentary discussion soon.

4. Counter threats wont be needed, as said by one of our Generals I believe "We are not Afghanistan or the Afghanistan Army," lets take this as a pinch of salt, the US might be attacking us today, but tomorrow is a different story.

5. The time required to do this, well I estimate after 24th June when the Budget details will finish, say a weak or more after 24th, as you might have read that Musharraf with respect will be impeached after the Budget session finishes. The Judiciary is on the governments case as well so this will take time in my honest opinion.

Back
Top Bottom