What's new

Karnataka corner!

Do you guys have Sarpa Kavvus in Karnataka? This where every ancestral home would have a shrine deidcated to the serpent gods.

I guess the Bunts are ubiquitous in the entertainment world.

There are Naga Kallus in almost every village, usually under a banyan tree. But they're usually community property. Haven't come across any individual shrines in ancestral homes.

I guess the Bunts are ubiquitous in the entertainment world.

They all from traditional agriculture background. But now.. the community has progressed & are making good in other fields too.. like hotel & restaurant business, entertainment, medicine, education.. etc.

Maybe it's the culture & background they come from. They have a sort of reputation, especially in Mumbai. Could be pretty rough at times :lol:

We Mallus have a pretty boozing reputaton

Which I happily oblige! :D

@JanjaWeed I keep thinking you are Bob Marley for some reason.

But then I realised, an Indian can never be cool as a Jamaican! :drag:

& we have a reputation to quench your thirst by selling them! :D

With some Banana chips please!

They are to an extent. At least in Karnataka, no other group comes close to being called as such.

The only reason I found out Nairs were matrilineal was because of Anthropology in new Zealand.

Because our marriage customs were unique enough to be documented.

Do you guys have Sarpa Kavvus in Karnataka? This where every ancestral home would have a shrine deidcated to the serpent gods.

It's very much a part of bunt culture. We have something called naga bana for every bunt family household. It's an open place where these naga stones are installed under a tree & are worshiped. You do not cut any brancheS or trees surrounding this bana.. & just grows into dense forest kinda thing.

& there are occasions where people organize something called naga mandala. It's huge thing... here is a snippet of that ceremony!

Last edited:
@Ravi Nair There is this RJ in Bangalore known as Danish Sait. He's well-known for his prank-calls which are usually hilarious. He's pretty versatile and creative with his voice and the characters that he assumes. He pretends to be a Mallu called Chacko here.

Funniest - Chacko was fully boosed up - Prank by Danish Sait on Fever 104FM by Danish Sait on SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds

:lol:

Chacko or thmomas kutty LOL.

For some reason couldn't stop laughing at 'Droven'

@Indischer

Did you know @KEMPE GOWDA can understand Malayalam. Impressive

It's very much a part of bunt culture. We have something called naga bana for every bunt family household. It's an open place where these naga stones are installed under a tree & are worshiped. You do not cut any branched or trees surrounding this bana.. & just grows into dense forest kinda thing.

& there are occasions where people organize something called naga mandala. It's huge thing... here is a snippet of that ceremony!

That's some scary ceremony, bro. Interestingly, Prakash Rai has acted in a Kannada movie called Nagamandala. It's about a snake that starts to masquerade as a man as it's smiiten by his wife. But the story is set in North Karnataka.

Back
Top Bottom