What's new

Karakorum - 8 (K-8) | Jet Trainer Aircraft.

1631134647514.png

Does PAF have any plans to upgrade K-8’s ?

I would have thought this asset would be ideal for PAC to apply composites on and improve upon other aspects…

Hi
is it possible for PAF readjust Front landing gear and install a gun
like A10s if it’s possible to answer my Q
thank you

Does PAF have any plans to upgrade K-8’s ?

I would have thought this asset would be ideal for PAC to apply composites on and improve upon other aspects…
K-8 is a joint venture between PAC and HAIC. Pakistan contribution is less than 50 %.

K-8 is basically a two-seat intermediate jet trainer and a light attack aircraft, therefore application of composite will not be considered by the co-manufacturers.

Hi
thank you

The latest export variant is the K-8P version, which currently is operated by the PAF. The K-8P has an advanced avionics package of integrated head-up display (HUD), multi-function displays (MFDs) and comes equipped with MFD-integrated GPS and ILS/TACAN systems. It also features hardpoints for carrying a variety of training and operational bombs up to 250 kg, pod mounted 23 mm cannon as well as PL-5 / 7 /AIM-9 P launchers.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hongdu_JL-8

Hi
thank you
No it is not possible. It is a trainer with a secondary attack role. It can mount a 23mm gunpack if needed. It is not an dedicated ground attack plane.

No it is not possible. It is a trainer with a secondary attack role. It can mount a 23mm gunpack if needed. It is not an dedicated ground attack plane.

The A10 was DESIGNED AROUND a massive Gatling Gun - the GAU-8. Not the other way round (Gatling gun fitted as an afterthought).

iu

There are only two COIN/CAS Gun equipped aircraft like that that I know of, one is A10 (and of course including the newer A10 variant). The other one is the Russian equivalent of the A10 which is the Sukhoi Su-25T Frogfoot. Both aircraft boast armored tubs made from welded Titanium to protect pilots from small caliber weapons. By the way, the A10 Warthog uses spent Uranium rounds which can easily penetrate common modern armor in Tanks.

Wishing for that functionality in a K-8 is like putting a V-8 engine in an auto-rickshaw - overkill.

Last edited:
The A10 was DESIGNED AROUND that massive Gatling Gun. Not the other way round (Gatling gun fitted as an afterthought).

There are only two COIN/CAS aircraft like that that I know of, one is A10 (and of course including the newer A10 variant). The other one is the Russian equivalent of the A10 which is the Sukhoi Su-25T Frogfoot. Both aircraft boast armored tubs made from welded Titanium to protect pilots from small caliber weapons. By the way, the A10 Warthog uses spent Uranium rounds which can easily penetrate common modern armor in Tanks.

Wiishing for that functionality in a K-8 is like putting a V-8 engine in an auto-rickshaw - overkill.
Yes I know. Hence my previous comment. The Su25 and A10 are not new and their design is known. Take a look at the Northrup YA9 and the Ilyushin Il-102 as well.

Here are a few shots of K-8Ws in BAF livery, pretty similar to Sherdil livery, I'd say. They probably use some Pakistani parts, though they were delivered from China.

iu

Ok, My fault and your chance to hit.
You do differently , I see. Don't be so smart.....
All your posted photos are not yours... :D

Ok, My fault and your chance to hit.
You do differently , I see. Don't be so smart.....
All your posted photos are not yours... :D
Dude I have no issues with you except asking you not to post wrong or old military pictures. I never ever claimed what I post is always mine however the images I share are always recent.

Back
Top Bottom