What's new

Karachi should be made a separate province

should Karachi be made separate province on administrative grounds?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

W.11

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
So many people outside Karachi have so little knowledge about the issues in the city. Even many in Karachi don't seem to know about it.

Lets take Lahore. Zardari controlled the federal government but as the Punjab CM Shahbaz Sharif controlled the Punjab government. Because there were no elected local bodies SS also controlled the local bureaucracy like LDA, and also the police, and also education, health, etc. So, in effect, SS controlled 80% of everything to do with Lahore.

In Karachi Zardari had 100% control because the Sindh CM was his guy, but his own brother, Tappi, was the real de-facto CM making all the decisions.

People blame MQM for all the mess in Karachi, but they had almost no control in running the city. They had a governor but the governor has no power.

Now that the elections are over nothing has changed for Karachi. Nawaz Sharif will be controlling all the federal government organizations in Karachi, like KPT, PIA, Port Qasim, etc. and Zardari will be controlling the rest though the Sindh CM. Even the governor will now belong to Nawaz Sharif.

So effectively the politicians elected by the people of Karachi will have ZERO say in how the city is run. The only way that can change is if there was an elected local government, but that is unlikely.

Now the people in Lahore will have 100% control of their city while the people of Karachi will still have 0% control of their city.

One solution is to have an elected local government in Karachi, and the MQM was demanding it for years, but they never got it. They came to an agreement on a new local bodies system but just before the elections PPP cancelled it because the PPP voters in Sindh didn't like it. A local government in Karachi will deprive the PPP feudals of most of their loot so they don't like the idea either.

Another solution is to make Karachi a separate province, but MQM doesn't demand it because they're afraid that Muhajirs in interior Sindh will start getting physically attacked. It's happened before and hundreds of thousands of people were forced to migrate to Hyderabad from other places. Every time MQM has an argument with PPP their workers start getting killed in large numbers. PPP armed the Lyari gangs for this purpose. So MQM is held hostage and can't do much.

The only time there were local governments were during military governments of Ayub Khan, Zia and Musharraf and during those times Karachi boomed. Even the MQM did massive development during Musharraf's time. As soon as PPP came they got rid of the city government and handed things to KDA which didn't do a thing for the city.

Regarding the security situation, the police is also in the control of the provincial government of Sindh, whereas in most countries the police is under a local government. The rangers are also under the Sindh government. The army is under the federal government. Therefore the elected representatives of Karachi don't control the security in the city either.

If Karachi goes to the dogs and collapses and becomes a hellhole it doesn't matter to the PPP because they don't get any votes in the city anyways. They get votes in Sindh and end up controlling Karachi, which is what has happened again this time.

So the bottom line is that people of Karachi don't control anything and it's a dead-end situation with no solution in sight.

Well, need for new provinces might be the need of administrative quality, but I think the situation in Karachi is complex compared to other provinces.

If MQM demands a new province it would be seen as an invasion by a Mafia group based on ethnicity, but if there is a political party which comes in to power by Free and Fair elections and it represents an ideology of unity among people, regardless of ethnicity, people would feel more secure about such demands.

PTI falls under this category, other than that, a political party which has majority seats in Karachi and Sindh. Perhaps PPP, if given the chance....

Well, need for new provinces might be the need of administrative quality, but I think the situation in Karachi is complex compared to other provinces.

If MQM demands a new province it would be seen as an invasion by a Mafia group based on ethnicity, but if there is a political party which comes in to power by Free and Fair elections and it represents an ideology of unity among people, regardless of ethnicity, people would feel more secure about such demands.

PTI falls under this category, other than that, a political party which has majority seats in Karachi and Sindh. Perhaps PPP, if given the chance....

if PTI demands it will be seen as punjabi invasion also, that punjab wants to divide sindh and make karachi punjabi influenced, karachi is important port and punjab has no port dont you think it will irk sindhis more than it will irk them because of MQM?

MQM has the mandate of karachi since 20 years and if suddenly PTI comes to the scene where will this action be showed as? punjabi domination?

any further suggestions?

lets play ethnicity card, MQM demands local bodies and it is also seen as dividing sindh by ethnicity now where the hell local bodies divide sindh on ethnic grounds? please explain sir!

i think after 20 years MQM and karachi deserves to get it mandated applied to the city, MQM has taken all the blames for the incompetencies of sindh government i think MQM deserves it more than your supposed suggestion for PTI to have it rather than MQM

i think karachi will go to the gutter once again if it is not made a separate province

if PTI demands it will be seen as punjabi invasion also, that punjab wants to divide sindh and make karachi punjabi influenced, karachi is important port and punjab has no port dont you think it will irk sindhis more than it will irk them because of MQM?

MQM has the mandate of karachi since 20 years and if suddenly PTI comes to the scene where will this action be showed as? punjabi domination?

If PTI is a punjabi political party then I wonder what it is doing in Khyber Pukhtoonkhwa.

And I think by now it is no secret how MQM get its "mandate"

If PTI is a punjabi political party then I wonder what it is doing in Khyber Pukhtoonkhwa.

And I think by now it is no secret how MQM get its "mandate"

if MQM is an ethnic party i dunno where is that ethnicity issue in GB where PTI failed to secure even credible votes and in sukkur where there are no mohajirs?

any attempts by PTI will immediately be labelled as punjabi conspiracy, any efforts by MQM will be taken as infact a genuine step because MQM has taken the blame for 20 years

ant gonna happen sindh assembly will not approve it with 2/3 majority as ppp does not want this .and they are in majority.

then it should also have to be approved by national assembly with 2/3 majority.

if anyone thinks that just hold referendum in a specific area and let them decide then it starts ever where.

no such mechanism was devised to hold local referendum rather than in whole province

MQM's wish will not come true .

Whatever happened to that Bahawalpur Province we heard so much about it in 2012?

not province but it should be federal constituency like most metropolitian cities are, or an independent territory with ban on politics, only business !!

it will become the direct manipulation of the federal government, is that the reaon why provinces were given provincial autonomy? and all powers were decentralised?

ant gonna happen sindh assembly will not approve it with 2/3 majority as ppp does not want this .and they are in majority.

then it should also have to be approved by national assembly with 2/3 majority.

if anyone thinks that just hold referendum in a specific area and let them decide then it starts ever where.

no such mechanism was devised to hold local referendum rather than in whole province

MQM's wish will not come true .

you are an idiot, its the wish for all the karachiites

this thread is not about how its not possible but it asks, should this be allowed or not for its advantages or disadvantages

it will become the direct manipulation of the federal government, is that the reaon why provinces were given provincial autonomy? and all powers were decentralised?

you are an idiot, its the wish for all the karachiites

this thread is not about how its not possible but it asks, should this be allowed or not for its advantages or disadvantages

Perhaps Karachi needs to be liberated from the Mafia known as MQM first, maybe then we would think about it.

kindly vote above and dont just comment

CHOICES:

NO, i dont support it

MAY BE NOT, i dont think its a good

above options votes should be added as they mean the same that Karachi should not be made a province the thread poster made it to split votes but both means same thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom