What's new

Karachi beat all the other cities of Pakistan in Tax Collection

Status
Not open for further replies.
May be when one travels from one garbage dump to the next, keep pleading for a decades with no avail, sensitivities become last thing of your concern.

There is no water, no electricity, you can’t drive 50 feet with encountering a giant pothole on the road, garbage dumps everywhere, sewage spewing from every other hole. You vote for a local party to champion your cause they become a mafia that terrorizes you more than anyone else. You vote for a national party and they can’t change a thing.

Instead of being appreciated and supported by rest of the country you find them belittling you and planning and cheering moving what remains in the city to other places of the country. What would one do? Be cheerful? Sensitive in selection of words, be it right or wrong?

Local government job is to fix bumps. Sindh get more then enough share in NFC. Sindh get huge provincial tax from Karachi, city which is running on back of all of Pakistan. Sindh even collect tax from port which should be shared with all 4 provinces but instead they keep it for themselves, I'm talking about around Rs40 billion 4-5 years ago. Now its much higher.

On per capita basis Sindh get much higher budget every year then punjab.

Local government job is to fix bumps. Sindh get more then enough share in NFC. Sindh get huge provincial tax from Karachi, city which is running on back of all of Pakistan. Sindh even collect tax from port which should be shared with all 4 provinces but instead they keep it for themselves, I'm talking about around Rs40 billion 4-5 years ago. Now its much higher.

On per capita basis Sindh get much higher budget every year then punjab.
If you ask what I want personally. It would be for Karachi to be federal territory. That way it’s needs Allan be addressed and it won’t be a battleground for tussles between provincial and federal governments in which it has been the ultimate loser.

Ye ab purana ho gya joke koi nya sunao.if port and companies have head offices its not mean karachi alone can do it
No. It’s not just head offices. Take tax collected from markets for example:

https://www.samaa.tv/news/2019/11/k...ay-more-tax-than-lahores-islamabads-combined/

Around 31billion. Compared to Islamabad close to 2billion, pindi 1billion and Lahore 0.5 billion.

Some of the largest individual tax payers also I believed are from Karachi.

It also accounts for around 25% of GDP. And instead of being slightly pampered like say New York, Shanghai or Bombay. It’s demonized and countered by “you deserve it”, “your contributions are because of HQs”, etc.

I say, screw the contribution. Even without it a city of the country once called city of lights does not deserve to be turned into huge garbage dump which feels like accompanied with a strong sense of vengeance and hate for it for some weird reason.

Traders wholesalers retailers of Karachi paid 8.6 billion tax and traders of Lahore paid 5.2 billion. Itna farq to nhi ha
https://www.brecorder.com/news/539976

https://www.samaa.tv/news/2019/11/k...ay-more-tax-than-lahores-islamabads-combined/

No. It’s not just head offices. Take tax collected from markets for example:

Around 31billion. Compared to Islamabad close to 2billion, pindi 1billion and Lahore 0.5 billion.

Some of the largest individual tax payers also I believed are from Karachi.

It also accounts for around 25% of GDP. And instead of being slightly pampered like say New York, Shanghai or Bombay. It’s demonized and countered by “you deserve it”, “your contributions are because of HQs”, etc.

I say, screw the contribution. Even without it a city of the country once called city of lights does not deserve to be turned into huge garbage dump which feels like accompanied with a strong sense of vengeance and hate for it for some weird reason.

Poora pakistan woheen para hai invest ker raha hai . If you live in a city you invest in city center not infeont of your home .karachi is a downtown of pakistan

Poora pakistan woheen para hai invest ker raha hai . If you live in a city you invest in city center not infeont of your home .karachi is a downtown of pakistan
Tau is downtown ko thora sudharna bhi chahiye isko tissue paper ki tarha istemal nahi kerna chahiye.

Argument is illogical. 50% of population can be close to Lahore but is not in Lahore. Being close to Lahore doesn't mean Lahore district collects the tax revenue for that area.

It's common sense that areas with higher population will collect more tax than areas with less population in most cases. Karachi has the largest amount of population in Pakistan, followed by Lahore. Tax collection follows that trend as well.

Karachi benefits from its geographical location and by all means Karachi should use that to her advantage. The port is able to generate a lot of revenue and indirectly supports several thousand jobs and businesses.

Arrogant attitude? Please do care to explain my arrogance. By explaining reasons for Karachi having higher tax collection, you are calling me arrogant? Nice. Go back and read the original post.

My post is not about Lahore vs Karachi and it will never be about that. Karachi is as much a part of Pakistan as Lahore or any other city. The problem I have is the OP has issues with trying to prove Karachi is superior over every other city in Pakistan. If Karachi prospers, then Pakistan prospers. We need to stop this Karachi vs Lahore and Lahore vs Karachi attitude.
First of all comaprison was of Karachi and rest of Pakistan and not lahore so if 10% population bears 2/3 of high tax payers then it means they are paying taxes.

Secondly, why do u have a problem with superior performance based on some criteria? Why cant u simply acknowledge it ? I dont see anyone disagreeing on any thread if any particular region achieved some target other than karachi

Secondly, why do u have a problem with superior performance based on some criteria? Why cant u simply acknowledge it ? I dont see anyone disagreeing on any thread if any particular region achieved some target other than karachi
I don't have a problem with comparing performance. Stats are needed for improvement of sectors and stats are comparisons. The OP asked why does Karachi collect the most tax and for what. I answered the reasons for why Karachi collects the most tax.

1. Population.
2. Port City.

Where I have a problem is the OP bashing ever city that is not Karachi. It is straight up racism and that kind of behaviour only hurts the country. It needs to stop, period.

PIC1-1024.jpg

PIC2-1024.jpg

There are 6 cities of punjab in top 10 this list. One of them is my city.
We daal khors sons of the soil paying more tax overall.

1. Miscellaneous textiles, worn clothing: US$4.2 billion (20% of total exports)
  2. Clothing, accessories (not knit or crochet): $3.5 billion (16.7%)
  3. Knit or crochet clothing, accessories: $3.3 billion (16.1%)
  4. Cotton: $1.8 billion (8.4%)
  5. Cereals: $1.2 billion (5.9%)
  6. Leather/animal gut articles: $716.7 million (3.5%)
  7. Copper: $596.7 million (2.9%)
  8. Optical, technical, medical apparatus: $421 million (2%)
  9. Mineral fuels including oil: $393.8 million (1.9%)
  10. Fish: $372.5 million (1.8%)
these are top 10 exports of Pakistan; top three majorly sourced and produced in one city Faisalabad and rest all originating from all provinces and exported via port (karachi). All tax on these products are paid by main land, credited in karachi's account. This myth needs to be dissected and needs a proper article that "Karachi" pays most tax. It's the tax of majority populace channeling via karachi traders. Nothing extra ordinary. And above attached document in my previous post shows local retailer and their contribution in tax revenue.

Another narrative that's being built here over and over again here is drawing equivalence of "karachiites" to exclusive urdu speaking ethnicities. And that's not the case. Urdu speakers are just one group of ethnicities among many ethnic groups residing in Karachi. So whatever tax contribution "karachi's retailers" make is contribution from every ethnic group.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom