K-5 SLBM: India’s Next Big thing?

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
SOURCE: VISHAL KARPE / FOR MY TAKE / IDRW.ORG / IMAGE COPYRIGHT : IDRW.ORG

k_5.jpg

While India is currently busy carrying out preparation for Developmental trials of countries longest K-4 Submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) in next few days, the buzz around is that next big thing to emerge in Indian Strategic calculus in missile technology might be seeing fastening development of K-5 SLBM over Agni-VI.

Not so secretive K-5 SLBM will have a range of in excess of 6000 km with 2-tonne payload which can carry four multiple independently targetable reentry vehicle (MIRV) warheads of 500kgs each.

While the Actual range of K-5 will remain classified but with MIRV warheads, the missile will be able to hit targets as far as 8000-10000 km. Indian Government seems to be non-committal to confirm if the development of Agni-VI with MIRV is under development but many Defence analysts think that India might be under tremendous pressure to cap its land-based ICBM program in lieu for support from other countries for its NSG entry, this might force India to divert its focus on SLBM development.

After series of Developmental trials of Agni-V, India has come under severe Chinese media criticism and some diplomatic pressure from allies to maintain a low profile due to which new pictures of Agni-V launches have not been released, also it has gone missing from Republic Day parade.

The family of K-Series of Submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) developed by India has been developed under countries Black Project while maintaining a high level of secrecy. K-15 SLBM has 750-1000 km ranged the first missile from K-Series, which was followed up by the development of K-4 SLBM which has a 3500-5000 km range and now next missile to be developed will be K-5 with a reported range of over 6000 km with MIRV Warheads.

India at present is constructing Three Arihant Class Nuclear ballistic missile Submarine and lead INS Arihant Submarine already has been inducted into Indian Navy and work on Second Submarine is nearing completion and work are already underway on the third submarine.

India also plans to construct bigger and better Nuclear ballistic missile Submarines post completion of work on Arihant Class Submarines and is also planning to develop Six indigenous Nuclear attack Class Submarines to patrol vast Indian ocean.

http://idrw.org/k-5-slbm-indias-next-big-thing/

DRDO would have to develop and test the Agni-VI before moving on to K-5. It only makes sense to trial the key technologies (i.e. all-composite body, re-startable motor for MIRVs, MIRVs themselves) on a land-based system, before moving on to a sea-based cold-launched system. Besides, I believe the K-5 will have a diameter of 2m, and I don't think the next gen IN SSBNs with larger VLS tubes are coming that soon.

K-5 SLBM: India’s Next Big thing? VISHAL KARPE / While India is currently busy carrying out preparation for Developmental trials of countries longest K-4 Submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) in next few days, the buzz around is that next big thing to emerge in Indian Strategic calculus in missile technology might be seeing fastening development of K-5 SLBM over Agni-VI. Not so secretive K-5 SLBM will have a range of in excess of 6000 km with 2-tonne payload which can carry four multiple independently targetable reentry vehicle (MIRV) warheads of 500kgs each. While the Actual range of K-5 will remain classified but with MIRV warheads, the missile will be able to hit targets as far as 8000-10000 km. Indian Government seems to be non-committal to confirm if the development of Agni-VI with MIRV is under development but many Defence analysts think that India might be under tremendous pressure to cap its land-based ICBM program in lieu for support from other countries for its NSG entry, this might force India to divert its focus on SLBM development. After series of Developmental trials of Agni-V, India has come under severe Chinese media criticism and some diplomatic pressure from allies to maintain a low profile due to which new pictures of Agni-V launches have not been released, also it has gone missing from Republic Day parade. The family of K-Series of Submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) developed by India has been developed under countries Black Project while maintaining a high level of secrecy. K-15 SLBM has 750-1000 km ranged the first missile from K-Series, which was followed up by the development of K-4 SLBM which has a 3500-5000 km range and now next missile to be developed will be K-5 with a reported range of over 6000 km with MIRV Warheads. India at present is constructing Three Arihant Class Nuclear ballistic missile Submarine and lead INS Arihant Submarine already has been inducted into Indian Navy and work on Second Submarine is nearing completion and work are already underway on the third submarine. India also plans to construct bigger and better Nuclear ballistic missile Submarines post completion of work on Arihant Class Submarines and is also planning to develop Six indigenous Nuclear attack Class Submarines to patrol vast Indian ocean.

India always talk about MIRV for the next missile. This apply to Agni 3, than 4 and Agni 5. None has MIRV. I won't believe that India has an MIRV until India test one.

India always talk about MIRV for the next missile. This apply to Agni 3, than 4 and Agni 5. None has MIRV. I won't believe that India has an MIRV until India test one.
for having MIRV you need to have attend certain height / distance .. A3 / A4 are not made for MIRV also.

for having MIRV you need to have attend certain height / distance .. A3 / A4 are not made for MIRV also.
More to do with the design of Indian nukes which haven't been miniaturized. MIRV needs miniaturized nukes which India doesn't have

Nobody says that India has operational MIRV at this point of time.

More to do with the design of Indian nukes which haven't been miniaturized. MIRV needs miniaturized nukes which India doesn't have
lol ....... P- based nukes are always smaller then U based one, havent you checked the pictures Indian small nuke tested? Do you have any picture of your nuke?

In its second test, A4 reached over 900 KM height before hitting a target 4000 KM away. I think this should be a sufficient height.

lol ....... P- based nukes are always smaller then U based one, havent you checked the pictures Indian small nuke tested? Do you have any picture of your nuke?
Post pics of Indian small nukes or small nuke capable missiles ? Don't show me Brahmos.

In its second test, A4 reached over 900 KM height before hitting a target 4000 KM away. I think this should be a sufficient height.
A-4 is too narrow for MIRV. A-3 at 2 meter width can carry MIRV but India doesn't have small plutonium based fission fusion devices like Pakistan

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom