What's new

Jordan's King Abdullah calls early elections

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Jordan's king has dissolved parliament, paving the way for early polls ahead of protests seen as his biggest challenge since the start of the Arab Spring.

The decree follows Abdullah II's pledge to bring in political reforms aimed at avoiding anti-government unrest.

Jordanians have been pressing for a greater say in how their country is run and demanding corruption be tackled.

Jordan's Muslim Brotherhood said in July its political party, the Islamic Action Front, would boycott the polls.

The group has called for the monarch's powers to be curtailed, and for an overhaul of the parliamentary system in which the prime minister is appointed by the king rather than elected. It has said it would boycott polls until such measures were introduced.

King Abdullah said recently a new parliament would elect a prime minister early next year.

Calls for change
Ahead of Thursday's royal decree, the Muslim Brotherhood said its "Friday to Rescue the Nation" rally to demand reforms would go ahead in central Amman.

"We are talking about a new phase after 20 months of continued popular protests and unwillingness to listen to our demands for reform," Zaki Bani Rusheid, the deputy head of the Muslim Brotherhood, told Reuters of the rally.

King Abdullah has been keen to show he is responsive to public dissatisfaction
"We are calling for real reforms that restore power to Jordanian people and curb the powers of those who have seized power and influence for decades."

So far, protests in Jordan have been more peaceful than elsewhere in the region.

The king says the fact the country's small-scale protests have not built up popular momentum is because he has shown himself to be serious about reform.

Following the example of his father, Hussein, King Abdullah has presented himself with considerable success as a unifying force, a constitutional monarch representing the will of his people, says the BBC's Arab affairs analyst Sebastian Usher.

But the IAF, emboldened by the recent success of Islamist parties in Egypt and Tunisia, says reform is coming too slowly.

Economic problems, long-standing corruption, new internet restrictions and the conflict in neighbouring Syria have fuelled calls for change.

Worryingly for King Abdullah, the taboo on directly criticising the palace appears to have been breached, adds our analyst.

The king has dissolved parliaments and sacked prime ministers before in order to show that he is responsive to public dissatisfaction.

But it is the wielding of that kind of power that the Islamists and democracy activists believe is preventing true reform, he adds.

A counter-demonstration by supporters of King Abdullah planned for Friday appears now to have been cancelled amid concerns it would provoke clashes.

The royal decree gave no date for the elections, but King Abdullah had previously said he wanted fresh elections by the end of 2012.

Jordan's constitution stipulates that the cabinet must resign within a week of the parliament's dissolution.

"Muslim Brotherhood" have been saying that they were going to stage the largest demonstrations in the history of Jordan today, but only 4000 took part of it...:lol:

LCWO.jpg

yHNG.jpg

Such brave people, I really hate seeing people suffer because of the stupid policy their regime is perusing, they are the only victims of it. I hope Jordan spares itself from what is coming and live in peace among it's neighbors. People must rise to survive Jordan and the region .

BlackEagle:lol,they seem more than 4000.
Are you paid to say that?:lol:

Such brave people, I really hate seeing people suffer because of the stupid policy their regime is perusing, they are the only victims of it. I hope Jordan spares itself from what is coming and live in peace among it's neighbors. People must rise to survive Jordan and the region .

Lame comparison, the right of protesting is guaranteed in Jordan, while policemen in Jordan protect them, and even distribute water bottles to keep them comfortable, Iranian forces cruelly oppress anyone opens his mouth. They are protesting because they demand amending an article in the constitution, the thing that we oppose, only few support MB, and my proof is the picture, they have been calling for this demonstration for 2 weeks and only a couple of thousands took part of it.

Behold and learn:

69155.jpg

poli-water-5.jpg

poli-water-1.jpg

3498114164.jpg

news919-300x220.jpg

What do you think about these protesters generally?

Idiots, Muslim Brotherhood is a Sunni version of Shia theocratic regime in iran, their logic is twisted and ridiculous, they criticize everything and anything the government does for the sake of pure criticizem that is not based on logic nor facts on the table, they do not even suggest alternatives. They tried their luck in the election 4 years ago and were miserably humiliated, only two candidates made it to the Parliament, so, they are technically trying to take advantage as much as possible of the country economic hardships and ongoing turmoil in the region to show the Parliament and government as incompetent and weak.

I wasn't going to say this, but three Iranians were arrested in Egypt 4 days ago carrying Jordanian counterfeited passports and were heading to Jordan.

Jordanian special forces checked the area of demonstration yesterday and found ten guys carrying guns, they were planing to shoot at the protesters and blame the regime which would trigger much more anger. We are ten steps ahead of them my friend.

545587_467799253260121_321413016_n.jpg

564056_467643029942410_2097487947_n.jpg

374117_393272990745258_1018850037_n.jpg

579692_467203716653008_855301029_n.jpg

Then I think it's very hypocrite of you calling every moving thing coming in to streets in Iran as brave people,but you call them in your country idiots.
That's why I never take your words about Iran serious.And please,don't compare every $hit in your countries with Iran.

The same thing happened in Iran in 2009.during the million march after elections which was absolutely peaceful,some terrorists shot randomly between people and made the protests violent.
But you guys don't accept this because you hate Iran.And when the same thing happens in your country,we are supposed to believe it.Tell me honestly,what would you think if you were me?

Then I think it's very hypocrite of you calling every moving thing coming in to streets in Iran as brave people,but you call them in your country idiots.
That's why I never take your words about Iran serious.And please,don't compare every $hit in your countries with Iran.

The same thing happened in Iran in 2009.during the million march after elections which was absolutely peaceful,some terrorists shot randomly between people and made the protests violent.
But you guys don't accept this because you hate Iran.And when the same thing happens in your country,we are supposed to believe it.Tell me honestly,what would you think if you were me?

Man your regime is taking Iran to it's doom along with the whole region including my country. You are comparing between two different things, our demands are different than yours, our regime is different, much different. You can't just compare every demonstration you see around the globe with what happened in Iran in 2009 and these days.

Man your regime is taking Iran to it's doom along with the whole region including my country. You are comparing between two different things, our demands are different than yours, our regime is different, much different. You can't just compare every demonstration you see around the globe with what happened in Iran in 2009 and these days.

Here's your problem:That every problem in ME has a root in Iran.That's what you have been taught since your childhood.
And yes,those demonstrations can be compared to each other,because in both of them,people are demanding something,and they are not revolution.

Here's your problem:That every problem in ME has a root in Iran.That's what you have been taught since your childhood.
And yes,those demonstrations can be compared to each other,because in both of them,people are demanding something,and they are not revolution.

As you like my friend, but let's be realistic, the world have issues with your regime not the people, either people side with their regime and suffer or act out against it and save Iran, after all, the victim is Iran here. I am not only telling my opinion but it's the truth whether you like it or not.

I wanted to see what would your be to be honest and I wasn't shocked. May God help all of us ..

Frankly, I support a revolution in Jordan if it happens like Egypt or Tunis but not a civil war like Libya or Syria. Or at least it becomes a constitutional monarchy. Its up to Jordanians to decide, although they must take into consideration the fact that Israel might use this opportunity to launch a war.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom