What's new

Joint development of 5-generation fighter by Pakistan and China?

I'm not sure China would be willing to risk ToT on a 5th gen fighter with Pakistan until some time after the technology has been in operational use. If it ends up being a well designed fighter they might even be a bit paranoid about selling it to Pakistan.

I'm not even sure China is capable of producing a F-22 class fighter yet.

And while Russia is working on a PAK-FA derivative with India, I strongly doubt that is due to any real strength in India's aerospace industry - rather it's aimed at maintaining a strong grip on the India arms market which is increasingly becoming crucial for Russia as China has greatly reduced its import of expensive Russian systems. On top of that, India's financial contribution will go a long ways to paying for what Russia ultimately needs to develop anyways - a competitor for the F-22 class fighter.

I have actually heard this from several sources inside PAF that Pakistan is involved in a 5th generation project with China. But just like other projects, i guess this is being done in severe secrecy so their is no info available on this. Just like other projects in which Pakistan and China were involved, we never had any info till the final phases.

If China is developing a hi/lo combination of 5th gen fighters, I expect they would treat them like the US and keep the air dominance version to themselves while exporting the cheaper strike fighter package. It's totally plausible that Pakistan might be directly involved in that strike fighter package.

Hopefully they'll actually keep costs on the "cheaper" fighter down, if that's their intended route.

But they need to perfect the WS-10 before anything else.

If China is developing a hi/lo combination of 5th gen fighters, I expect they would treat them like the US and keep the air dominance version to themselves while exporting the cheaper strike fighter package. It's totally plausible that Pakistan might be directly involved in that strike fighter package.

Hopefully they'll actually keep costs on the "cheaper" fighter down, if that's their intended route.

But they need to perfect the WS-10 before anything else.

u r right, Shenyan is working on the twin-eng heavy one, and Chengdu is working on the single-eng, just like the current J11 & J10 layup. I'm pretty sure the single-eng one will be available for sale.

Since I know nothing about Fighter jets, but would like to pose an interesting question. In developing 5th generation plane, why is Pakistan and China developing it jointly? Can China not develop this 5th generation plane on it own, or it needs Pakistan help in doing so? And help from Pakistan is required, what are the benefits/areas Pakistan can give? The question is based on curiosity base, no malice intended.

Since I know nothing about Fighter jets, but would like to pose an interesting question. In developing 5th generation plane, why is Pakistan and China developing it jointly? Can China not develop this 5th generation plane on it own, or it needs Pakistan help in doing so? And help from Pakistan is required, what are the benefits/areas Pakistan can give? The question is based on curiosity base, no malice intended.

It could be skill experience of pilots of the PAF that are far more well trained they provide training to alot of middle eastern countries as well as some African ones and plus Pakistan is a ery big asset to China of they pull them away from America it will provide a massive bugger to Uncle Sam.

It could be skill experience of pilots of the PAF that are far more well trained they provide training to alot of middle eastern countries as well as some African ones and plus Pakistan is a ery big asset to China of they pull them away from America it will provide a massive bugger to Uncle Sam.

Now everything makes sence to me, Thank you!!

Now everything makes sence to me, Thank you!!

Also not to mention engineers working in Pakistan Aeronautical Complex. Considering how much funds are allocated and how well they have used them, they should be commended for this. The arnaments they have produced, the improved version for JF17 4th prototype, literally rebuilding Mirage V from scrap and rehauling F7 over and over again are some of their achievements.

I can't say how much technically India or Pakistan can help Russia or China with regards to development, but any joint development does offer two advantages for Russia/China - additional funding and political brownie points.

As mentioned before, I'm sure Russia would love to completely lock in India and its procurement budgets for its arms industry, since the Russian armed forces aren't procuring huge numbers of weapons from their domestic industry (at least, nothing compared to the old days). India will be the new China to the Russian defence industry.

I don't understand the previous post where Jeypore speaks some rubbish, saying Pakistani Pilots experience is taken into account while developing 5th generation Fighter.

Pakistani Pilots lack experience, and infrastructure which is a Basic Amenity provided to Russians, Chinese, and Indians. Just take a look at the obselete Chinese trainers gifted to Pakistani pilots currently are flying F-16's block 30 a/c, and are uploaded with obselete software.

Regarding the topic of production of 5th generation fighters, China is more advanced in every field than Pakistan, therefore eliminating Pakistani involvement. Pakistan is unable to function it military without Military AID from U.S.A , which they are keen on begging for ever time you turn on BBC, and also after having a foreign reserve balance of only 9 billion dollars, it seems Pakistan can neither inquire or adopt any fighters.

Just use some common sense and logic, and you see the true reality of Pakistan

My friend, i asked a simple question and look at what answer I got from Bane Blade. He really did not answer my question, so in a sarcastic way I replied properly.

If Pakistan is involved with development of this new stealthy aeroplane, could it be a repeat of the JF-17 story?
China and Pakistan both need a cheap, small and advanced fighter for export as well as own use, so China lets Pakistan in on the development, transfers tech. to facilitate production of the jet in Pakistan and gives Pakistan ownership of a percentage of the project (as in JF-17). Meanwhile China develops larger, more advanced fighters which can then also be bought by Pakistan (as in J-10).

Last edited:
Pakistani Pilots lack experience, and infrastructure which is a Basic Amenity provided to Russians, Chinese, and Indians. Just take a look at the obselete Chinese trainers gifted to Pakistani pilots currently are flying F-16's block 30 a/c, and are uploaded with obselete software.

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
-William G. McAdoo

If you had just spent 15 minutes researching before posting, you could have salvaged yourself some dignity. Unfortunately, you chose not to. Instead, you chose to exercise your freedom of expression without using your freedom of thought. In the words of Don King, "Only in America".

I suggest you take your own advice first.
Just use some common sense and logic

Ignorance is a right! Education is eroding one of the few democratic freedoms remaining to us.
-Christopher Andrea

I don't understand the previous post where Jeypore speaks some rubbish, saying Pakistani Pilots experience is taken into account while developing 5th generation Fighter.

Regarding the topic of production of 5th generation fighters, China is more advanced in every field than Pakistan, therefore eliminating Pakistani involvement. Pakistan is unable to function it military without Military AID from U.S.A , which they are keen on begging for ever time you turn on BBC, and also after having a foreign reserve balance of only 9 billion dollars, it seems Pakistan can neither inquire or adopt any fighters.

Just use some common sense and logic, and you see the true reality of Pakistan

Hello sir,

Either your first or second post on this board----I would have expected a little better terminology against the host country that you are talking about----i mean to say---that is what simple etiquette would require that.

Now please don't let the door hit you on the way out.

PAF has alot of experience with the western Hardware. Our pilots are trained with them. There is alot of input that we can and have provided in the past to the Chinese, From F-7s to the current JF-17 project and even the J-10. IMO it would be beneficial for both the nations if Pakistan could join in hands with the Chinese over 5th generation fighter jet.

P.A.F is not involved in any 5th gen joint fighter development project with China, ALL FOCUS IS ON jf-17..the JF-17 is the beginning for Pakistan to start learning how to build fighters and with better technical know-how I am sure Pakistan would come up with a 4.5 generation fighter program or the rumored twin tail 4.5 generation JF-17 blk 2 might become reality a plane that is rumored to be somewhat like FA/18. Lets wait and watch, Pakistan might start to make a prototype of such a Jet once 150 JF-17s are inducted or almost are inducted in its inventory and there is a strong possibility. Making a stealth Fighter jet design by Pakistan i highly doubt why we take such a risk if China is there to work on it just like British didn't make their own but are waiting on US for JSF.

Back
Top Bottom