What's new

JF-17B Updates, News & Discussion

The biggest upside of this radar is that it can be swapped within the same space without modifications. The downside is its smaller size and perhaps less operational peak power? Hence generates less power that can be managed using air cooling. However, being a full fledged AESA radar, it brings unprecedented advantages for the jf-17, or any aircraft it will be mounted on.

AESA on existing jf-17 blks was requested by the PAF.
I wouldn’t judge the antenna size yet, but I am surprised that they went for air cooled instead of hybrid electric-liquid cooling when that was an option available in a smaller size(which would have allowed for a larger antenna)

Even klj-7A has upgrade package for older jf per its designer interview from last years

I wouldn’t judge the antenna size yet, but I am surprised that they went for air cooled instead of hybrid electric-liquid cooling when that was an option available in a smaller size(which would have allowed for a larger antenna)

img-ea16fd53c618866fdc72589c755c90ab-jpg.515482

As per the chinese promotional video of this air cooled AESA. A foreign airforce tested the radar and are satisfied with its maturity and validated all the parameters of this radar.

And considering this going to be KLJ-7A

drqxn8qu4aawgsw-jpg.515411

Perhaps hybrid cooling solution would not had been cost effective to upgrade block 1 and 2 as above KLJ-7A going to be a costly solution.

Last edited:
img-ea16fd53c618866fdc72589c755c90ab-jpg.515482

As per the chinese promotional video of this air cooled AESA. A foreign airforce tested the radar and are satisfied with its maturity and validated all the parameters of this radar.

And considering this going to be KLJ-7A

drqxn8qu4aawgsw-jpg.515411

Perhaps hybrid cooling solution would not had been cost effective to upgrade block 1 and 2 as above KLJ-7A going to be a costly solution.
if that is KLJ7x, it will be just great.

if that is KLJ7x, it will be just great.

The AVIC solution can be fitted in conventional nose, hence it can be used to upgrade blk 2 aircraft as shown in the video. Whereas the klj-7A cannot as it is designed as a new solution.

The AVIC solution can be fitted in conventional nose, hence it can be used to upgrade blk 2 aircraft as shown in the video. Whereas the klj-7A cannot as it is designed as a new solution.
might its.not KLJ7a, or another solution for Jf17BLKIII?

its really hell of speed when they keep giving new solutions.

Hmm, interesting point. May be that would be too expensive?

I do see a massive heatsink like structure behind the radar array though, might as well help in absorbing the heat?

the problem lays when jF17 has robust radar consuming more power, so we need a new engine?

What it will need is more thrust, regardless of how it comes. The AESA with at least two extra arrays, no matter how power effiecient, will consume more power compared to the current mechanical scan radar. I believe Russians had pitted the RD-93MA for blk 3 with up to 95kt of thrust and it will be available for export in 2019 so the timelines do match.

Not sure when will WS-13 enter service though.

What it will need is more thrust, regardless of how it comes. The AESA with at least two extra arrays, no matter how power effiecient, will consume more power compared to the current mechanical scan radar. I believe Russians had pitted the RD-93MA for blk 3 with up to 95kt of thrust and it will be available for export in 2019 so the timelines do match.

RD93MA is a good one, we are waiting for Ws19 with TVC.

You do it need more powerful engine for avionics but generator ;)

Have fun

https://www.aeroprecision.com/pdf/UTAS_F16_EPS_Brochure.pdf

Back
Top Bottom