What's new

JF-17B Updates, News & Discussion

If by growing up people become like you, then I am fine. A 25 million dollar plane can not be compared with a 100 million dollar plane. PAF is using the Soviet strategy of building cheap and quick and build in numbers.

and what would the aesthetics achieve in terms of war fighting capability?
Only problem is, they're not being built in numbers. You'd need somewhere around 300+ Thunders to actually counter IAF. Primarily because of Flankers and M2Ks.
I wish we had the budget to make the JF-17 as aesthetically striking as the FA-50 and Gripen.
I mean it's certainly more potent than the FA-50, Gripen is a different beast altogether.
Aesthetics don't really matter when you can shoot your enemy before they can see you.

While people have been bad mouthing PAF for the Hinges, lets look at what could possibly be the justifications:

1) B's to be used for CAS and LIFT and not A2A. Or very Limited A2A.

2) Too late in the program, to go back and develop an alternative. Maybe Future versions, will see this issue rectified.

Please add to this what seems reasonable to you. No point in just slinging mud, lets try to understand the thought process?

Might be because they needed to work to refine the design a bit more and PAF was not interested in improving it. It's just my guess.

Blended Wings certainly improve the Fuel capacity, Lift generation, reduce RCS and make the Aircraft surface more efficient.
I guess the Con is that it require more time in designing and a bit more effort in construction.
There few views about the DSI of JF17 out there as well that it's not refined up to the mark and by refining the design a bit more it would have given out a more efficient DSI with better overall results.

This is my speculations and a bit of reading.

Someone with more knowledge will be able to give a better explanation.
@JamD
Really hard to say unless you've seen the engineering data for the JF17 (which I have obviously not).

I can GUESS that it has to do with ease of construction and maintenance.

As far as DSIs are concerned, that's even more dependent on data. You can barely tell anything from just looking at it.

The PAF intend to use the B model as a fully combat capable tactical fighter; however, as I've mentioned before, it's not just the hinges where there has been short sightedness. The B model should have been based on the Block III configuration, and not the Block II specs. For instance, the B model lacks the dedicated pod hardpoint on the starboard intake, which already hampers its CAS and strike capabilities. It also uses the previous UV based MAWS rather than the new IR based MAWS on the Block III. Although some of these specs could be addressed in future upgrades, along with an AESA radar, I can't see the PAF making full utilisation of the B model in its current configuration as a tactical strike fighter, or even dedicated special purposes platform (SEAD, ECM, ELINT, etc). It seems the PAF jumped on the twin seat bandwagon only when there was considerable interest from potential customers, for years it was saying it didn't need a twin seat version, rather than making full use of the potential from the platform.

I mean it's certainly more potent than the FA-50, Gripen is a different beast altogether.
Aesthetics don't really matter when you can shoot your enemy before they can see you.
As I said earlier, improved aesthetics are generally a result of decisions that improve the fighter's performance and lethality.

As @Saifullah mentioned above; features like blended wings would have helped with RCS reduction and fuel capacity, and I said in an earlier post, a relaxed stability design with digital FBW from the onset could've helped with maneuverability.

The aesthetics come as a result of specific design choices, e.g., relaxed stability and going full digital fly-by-wire from day one, using composite materials, doing more to reduce the radar cross-section, optimizing the design to get more room for hardpoints, etc. When you avoid cutting corners, you end up with a design that performs better in war and, in turn, looks like its advanced and very capable.

It's like a fit-looking person. Yes, they look good, but they got to look like that because they work out every day, limit their calorie intake, eat the right macros -- and avoid the sugar and refined carbs -- and keep at it. Them looking good doesn't do as much as the fact that they live healthy and nutritious lives, and it shows.

If the PAF could've spent $1-2 b upfront on the JF-17's development, it would've had a far superior (and much better looking) aircraft. It's too bad that our nation never bothers to question why that investment was never made; instead, it keeps letting corrupt idiots batter the economy. We spend more time asking, "wHy PaF nO bUy sU-35?!" than critically examining economic policies, for example.
You have to look at the other side of the coin as well. In order to have 1st protoype we would have frozen design in late 99/early 2000s. Did the Chimese have the capability to design the stuff you/are looking for? Secondly would they have given you the same even if they had it. The JFT was in competition aith the J10s and the Chinese de idion to duck out of buying the JFT is a rtestament to that.
We are looking at PAC of now but we were babies of the aviation field in 2000. What could have been incorporated? We wanted a simple design to learn aviation industry setup on. Would it have helped to have Gripen or the SU series to build as our first plane. We chose the most expexient way to enter the industry and our success has been beyond our own expectations.
You have seen what happened to the neighbours next door. Most of it was trying to design something which they were incapable of. It would have been a folly of mammoth proportions to go down that route of producing a high end 4th gen plane. Delay for PAF was not an option with 200 platforms needing replacement
Lastly why would the Chinese let you/have something that competes directly with what they were producing. Even they made compromises and then rectified the situation when they had developed the relevant tech.
As far as I have/been able to understand the whole debate emanated from the hinges on jft Bs which in fact is a minor issue. If it delayed things or cost you an additional 100000$ to find a solution would you have given the money which you did not have ? I think not!
A

Last edited:
The PAF intend to use the B model as a fully combat capable tactical fighter; however, as I've mentioned before, it's not just the hinges where there has been short sightedness. The B model should have been based on the Block III configuration, and not the Block II specs. For instance, the B model lacks the dedicated pod hardpoint on the starboard intake, which already hampers its CAS and strike capabilities. It also uses the previous UV based MAWS rather than the new IR based MAWS on the Block III. Although some of these specs could be addressed in future upgrades, along with an AESA radar, I can't see the PAF making full utilisation of the B model in its current configuration as a tactical strike fighter, or even dedicated special purposes platform (SEAD, ECM, ELINT, etc). It seems the PAF jumped on the twin seat bandwagon only when there was considerable interest from potential customers, for years it was saying it didn't need a twin seat version, rather than making full use of the potential from the platform.
I suspect they will be upgraded as they are minor issues. Dont know about HP though! Any ideas on what the rsason for not incorporating the 8th HP was?
Regards
A
A

An improved BLK IIIB might be on the cards as we speak as the next iteration equipped with an AESA radar and design improvements to BLK-IIB.

See positive side we have twin seater now, for foreign sale its very major requirements, now see PAC/CAC can pitch multiple countries .. which are evident now.

Now later if PAC see potential to have next block for twin seater, they will definitely go in future

we are perhaps the only third world country in the world which contributes upto 50% if not more towards manufacturing of a modern fighter jet, there will be problems and there will be QC issues here and there as well, looking at glass is half full i think things like hinges etc can be improved in coming future

You have to look at the other side of the coin as well. In order to have 1st protoype we would have frozen design in late 99/early 2000s. Did the Chimese have the capability to design the stuff you/are looking for? Secondly would they have given you the same even if they had it. The JFT was in competition aith the J10s and the Chinese de idion to duck out of buying the JFT is a rtestament to that.
We are looking at PAC of now but we were babies of the aviation field in 2000. What could have been incorporated? We wanted a simple design to learn aviation industry setup on. Would it have helped to have Gripen or the SU series to build as our first plane. We chose the most expexient way to enter the industry and our success has been beyond our own expectations.
You have seen what happened to the neighbours next door. Most of it was trying to design something which they were incapable of. It would have been a folly of mammoth proportions to go down that route of producing a high end 4th gen plane. Delay for PAF was not an option with 200 platforms needing replacement
Lastly why would the Chinese let you/have something that competes directly with what they were producing. Even they made compromises and then rectified the situation when they had developed the relevant tech.
As far as I have/been able to understand the whole debate emanated from the hinges on jft Bs which in fact is a minor issue. If it delayed things or cost you an additional 100000$ to find a solution would you have given the money which you did not have ? I think not!
A
I believe the Chinese understood how to do relaxed stability and composites in the early 1990s -- they were working on the J-10, for example.

So, we may not have gotten all of the bells and whistles we would like, but we weren't reaching China's cutting edge either.

Now if asking for more meant deciding between the Super-7 and the J-10, then I would've given the J-10 a serious look. However, I would've also pushed that we (1) get 49% workshare for all J-10 (all variants) production, (2) IP transfer and domestic capacity development, and (3) full access to the system for our customizations.

However, I don't think the situation was that stark. The Chinese evidently wanted a light exportable fighter. It was more of a matter of choosing something closer to the F-20 or inching more on the side of the Gripen. Either way, the design wouldn't have aligned with the PLAAF's ASR for a medium-weight fighter (i.e., J-10).

We ultimately fell somewhere in the middle, but I would rather we match the Gripen because we'll use this fighter for 30-40 years (and invest in the manufacturing overhead on top of it). If we run into issues due to the design of the JF-17 in the 2030s, we'll return to looking at getting yet another fighter (which is exactly the convo the PAF was having from 2015). So, what did we save, fiscally speaking?

That said, everything you're saying -- being novices, needing a low-cost plane to replace lots of older planes, etc -- runs back to the first thing I said on this issue, "I wish we had the budget."

If we had more money, we could do more, it's as simple as that and I never disagreed with it.

And yes, India had troubles with the Tejas, but at the same time, they got a much more mature and capable aerospace industry out of it. So the trade-off was quite real, and we can make a case for either one. After all, they have not one, or two, but three distinct fighter programs in the pipeline now, and their Tejas is in full production.

OTOH, we have JF-17, which we didn't design for ourselves (and is still a generation back in some areas), with a manufacturing overhead to amortize, and now a messy issue of finding an interim 4.5+ gen jet (likely J-10CE) and a not-well-defined NGFA initiative.

Can't help but think that we had the option to feasibly get a full-out Gripen-class fighter from day 1 (even with 90s' Chinese capabilities) that we could extend through the 2040s without any issues. In turn, we could avoid interim jets, and move straight into NGFA.

Last edited:
Most of the commentators simply do not see the role of JF-17B in PAF, in its true shape/form. It will not see combat for a good long while, it's just as important a duty which it needs to perform - and quite literally was very much needed for exactly that.

I believe the Chinese understood how to do relaxed stability and composites in the early 1990s -- they were working on the J-10, for example.

So, we may not have gotten all of the bells and whistles we would like, but we weren't reaching China's cutting edge either.

Now if asking for more meant deciding between the Super-7 and the J-10, then I would've given the J-10 a serious look. However, I would've also pushed that we (1) get 49% workshare for all J-10 (all variants) production, (2) IP transfer and domestic capacity development, and (3) full access to the system for our customizations.

However, I don't think the situation was that stark. The Chinese evidently wanted a light exportable fighter. It was more of a matter of choosing something closer to the F-20 or inching more on the side of the Gripen. Either way, the design wouldn't have aligned with the PLAAF's ASR for a medium-weight fighter (i.e., J-10).

We ultimately fell somewhere in the middle, but I would rather we match the Gripen because we'll use this fighter for 30-40 years (and invest in the manufacturing overhead on top of it). If we run into issues due to the design of the JF-17 in the 2030s, we'll return to looking at getting yet another fighter (which is exactly the convo the PAF was having from 2015). So, what did we save, fiscally speaking?

That said, everything you're saying -- being novices, needing a low-cost plane to replace lots of older planes, etc -- runs back to the first thing I said on this issue, "I wish we had the budget."

If we had more money, we could do more, it's as simple as that and I never disagreed with it.

And yes, India had troubles with the Tejas, but at the same time, they got a much more mature and capable aerospace industry out of it. So the trade-off was quite real, and we can make a case for either one. After all, they have not one, or two, but three distinct fighter programs in the pipeline now, and their Tejas is in full production.

OTOH, we have JF-17, which we didn't design for ourselves (and is still a generation back in some areas), with a manufacturing overhead to amortize, and now a messy issue of finding an interim 4.5+ gen jet (likely J-10CE) and a not-well-defined NGFA initiative.

Can't help but think that we had the option to feasibly get a full-out Gripen-class fighter from day 1 (even with 90s' Chinese capabilities) that we could extend through the 2040s without any issues. In turn, we could avoid interim jets, and move straight into NGFA.
Why not a heavier JF17 BLK4 NG now? I imagine we can freeze the design in 2 years and start production in 3 years.

Why not a heavier JF17 BLK4 NG now? I imagine we can freeze the design in 2 years and start production in 3 years.
Yep -- but it depends on the PAF. If they're going for an off-the-shelf fighter, then I don't think they'll have the budget for working on the JF-17.

Either way you slice it, seems as though we've set ourselves up for a situation where we'd need to buy something else. Compromise by design.

OTOH, India's flaw was trying to reach perfection from the first round, so there was no real appreciation for iteration until later on. So they ended up in a very similar situation to the PAF (where they need imports), but they have the fiscal wherewithal to support it.

The PAF doesn't. So it needs to figure out a way to (1) get exactly what it needs via a locally or in-house-sourced product, (2) minimize -- if not eliminate -- imports, and (3) improve the local capacity to do more at home later down the later.

... The PAF doesn't. So it needs to figure out a way to (1) get exactly what it needs via a locally or in-house-sourced product, (2) minimize -- if not eliminate -- imports, and (3) improve the local capacity to do more at home later down the later.
What are the chances that after the initial import, further acquisitions of the J-10s could be assembled in Pakistan like the Raptor of the East (Bingo)?

Also, let's say Pakistan replaces all F-7s and Mirages with Made in Pakistan JF-17 Thunders and replaces all F-16s with mainly Assembled in Pakistan J-10s and works on the NGFA at simultaneously, would that feasible?

In other words, 2 active platforms and 1 in design/construction phase through 2020s and 2030s.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom