What's new

JF-17B Updates, News & Discussion

In an all out war what do you think will happen? PAF is half the size of IAF and the majority of the PAF fleet is F-7 aka flying trash cans, while the IAF fleet is 400+ BVR fighters, of which 200+ are Su-30mki. We CANNOT afford to lose even ONE extra plane for something as stupid as hignes screaming into enemy sensors.

In skirmishes, we can outnumber them in a small sector. But in war, they are absolutely a huge threat. Moreover, the IAF has learned a lot of lessons from Feb 27th, and it's good that the PAF showed restraint, only shot down 2 planes, and didn't follow fanboy's advice and reveal even more of their tactics.

The PAF has always maintained that it is a defensive force. So during a war, they'll largely be waiting for IAF on home turf or close to the border and be defending from above Pak airspace. Meanwhile our strategic missiles will be doing the real offensive damage until it's reasonable for PAF to begin proper full scale offensive operations.

The image (above), Serial No. 19-609 belongs to Squadron No. 18 (Sharp Shooters).

Anyone got a full image of it?

EqexGwEWMAAaPA4.jpg
1612376024881.png

I am sorry man but I have studied with the so called engineers. I did my undergrad at SMME and had the chance to take a post-graduate course with these guys from kamra and boy did they suck... I also talked to a couple of engineers at the kamra facility during one of our field trips. Did not impress me one bit as far as their knowledge about aerodynamics/aeronautics was concerned.

Hi,

I forgot the best---.

Here in the USA---in the city of Redondo Beach----early 90's---friendly dinner---some pakistani engineering students going to USC---sitting there as well---.

I mentioned something about the design of a CONCORDE---that when it gets to MACH 2 flight---with the heat effect---the aircraft may expand in length by about 10" ---.

It wasn't taken very well by those engineering students---commented---"I am a mechanical engineering student at USC---I have not heard about it " ---meaning as they have not heard about it or known about it---it does not happen---.

The worst thing was---they never asked me about my background---what i did or how I knew about that---.

An american answer would be---oh wow---" I did not know---it is good to learn that "---then I would later try to verify it just for the sake of knowledge---.
It’s a pretty small sample to generalize.

When NUST was in its infancy or probably on the drawing board, CAE was head and shoulders above other engineering schools in the country. The faculty comprised of young PhDs brimming with ideas and desire to make a difference. Every semester or other the whole curriculum was revised to keep pace with the cutting edge developments in the field. e.g. when Pentium chips were just introduced, undergrad students were learning machine programming 486s. The school was a cut above the rest because the graduation criteria was to successfully complete an individual project; with many a projects coming straight from the service’s own real-world requirement. This was a make or break requirement as all your academics stood for nought if you were not successful in the project. Even those academics were based on grading curve so you essentially had an up or out weeding out happening throughout the years with 20 to even 50 percent attrition not unheard of.

Compared to other schools in the country, you had access to better resources and it showed. Undergrad students projects included working prototypes of Airborne Infrared Search and Track Systems, missile guidance, neural networks (at undergrad level at a time very few had even heard of the AI/ML). Similarly doing finite element analysis and wind tunnel testing of various conformal fuel tank configurations were also undergraduate projects.

Obviously you have a continuum of performance among the graduates but the best could compete with the very best in the world. With a very small size, the ratio of graduates ending up at every top school (your MITs, Stanfords and the like) is fairly high. There are challenges certainly but many of those are systemic and endemic to our secondary school education system and service careers and hierarchy; Yet to summarily dismiss an institution, that is a national treasure in my view, based on a small sample size is too harsh a judgement.

Hi,

You don't eat the whole rice in a DAIG but just a few.

Last edited:
Many incompetent men doing something together does not turn them in to competent men, they would still remain incompetent and do the same stupid together that they would do alone.

An all out air war is not something where IAF will send all 500 or whatever number is available in one go, An all out war will be multiple small air battles like the one on Feb 27th, and that is what will will happen multiple times.

In an all out war what do you think will happen? PAF is half the size of IAF and the majority of the PAF fleet is F-7 aka flying trash cans, while the IAF fleet is 400+ BVR fighters, of which 200+ are Su-30mki. We CANNOT afford to lose even ONE extra plane for something as stupid as hignes screaming into enemy sensors.

In skirmishes, we can outnumber them in a small sector. But in war, they are absolutely a huge threat. Moreover, the IAF has learned a lot of lessons from Feb 27th, and it's good that the PAF showed restraint, only shot down 2 planes, and didn't follow fanboy's advice and reveal even more of their tactics.

Last edited:
An american answer would be---oh wow---" I did not know---it is good to learn that "---then I would later try to verify it just for the sake of knowledge---.
..............You don't eat the whole rice in a DAIG but just a few.

I do not like to derail the thread from its topic but I can’t help but notice the dichotomy between the above two statements.

We do have significant Q Anon believers in the populace so you can not expect an “American answer “ to be always curious and accepting/agreeable to a new set of facts presented. If just interacting with few USC students can lead to generalization about all Pakistani engineers (or CAE grads) and their mindset, the same can also be applied elsewhere. Anyhow everyone has their own mental picture based on their lived experiences and I am not aiming to change that. There are curious minds everywhere as no one has a monopoly on curiosity.

We unfortunately stifle curiosity at school level, do not teach maths as the foundational language of STEM and thus our best and brightest minds have a handicap at the world stage.

Still in my experience they have met those challenges head on and overcome that handicap and still excelled. There are many CAE grads/ex-faculty who are currently faculty in US Universities and there was one who I think became the head of the aerospace department at a decent university here.

Now they have updated the quality of the Sh!t and revised version is called MARK 1A, Deep Sh!t
Underestimating the enemy is a fatal error. Why do we have to downgrade their effort. All logical criticism is valid but posts like yours do not add much to a discussion.
Sorry but I had to say it.
A

Underestimating the enemy is a fatal error. Why do we have to downgrade their effort. All logical criticism is valid but posts like yours do not add much to a discussion.
Sorry but I had to say it.
A
Sorry for below the belt statement. But have been recently blasted with Mark 1a being superior than the Chinese(stress on Chinese) competitor aircraft and that it will see export order in next two years(if it can fly).

I can edit the post if you suggest.

Sorry for below the belt statement. But have been recently blasted with Mark 1a being superior than the Chinese(stress on Chinese) competitor aircraft and that it will see export order in next two years(if it can fly).

I can edit the post if you suggest.
Let them wallow in their own superiority complex. Their delusions/otherwise are not our issue. However for us to make fun of something of theirs is not a productive act nor does it aid in progression of any debate. The simple answer it it is irrelevant till they have a squadron ofwhateverMk they want in their airforce before we will debate with them on stats. The fact that their Mk1 is not being produced is already an acceptance of the failure of this particular model. What happens next remains to be seen. Perhaps their next offering might be at par. We cannot say at the moment. Let us leave it at that.
A

Back
Top Bottom