What's new

JF-17B Updates, News & Discussion

you mean klj-7v2?

Precisely.

Cockpits...

1609688330218.png

klj-7V antenna and components inside B's nose.

View attachment 702935

Hi,

Thank you for a great catch---.

I would not doubt if there are at least 6 JF17 BLK2 aircraft being actually tested with aesa on active duty.

The reasoning being---the the aircraft is already operational---the aesa has to be tested in operational conditions---. @Irfan Baloch @Armchair @BATMAN

check post 2,555.

Hi,

Thank you for your comments---.

It is strange that people want weapons and their capabilities disclosed before they are put into service---.

Paf had tested out " special paints " on aircraft over 25-30 years ago and yet there is no media brief on it. One day young Taimikhan was trying to convince me around 15 years ago that about these paints---and I was saying to myself---" kids don't understand---that their parents also had access to information that the young people just found out---". Just because we don't disclose it---does not mean that it does not exist---.

Last edited:
he just describe the basic functional features of digital beam steering of any airborne AESA RADAR, now its a common thing and because of this almost all fixed plate AESA RADAR are capable to search & track at 110° -120° on both sides
Hi,

What he stated was that whichever direction the aircraft wants to see---it will use the TRM's of that direction---and the radar is fixed plate type---.

Now you can make you own deductions from that---about the type of radar.

Hi,

Ok---if you say so---.
I think what @MastanKhan is saying is there are 2 versions of KLJ-7A. An air cooled version with the main plate and the typical 110-120 degree scan with 175km range and a liquid cooled version with 200km+ range and 3 phased arrays (1 forward facing and 2 side facing). If the radar gives near 360 degree awareness, then it must be the liquid cooled radar with the 3 arrays. Which would give near 280 degree coverage to the JF-17 and a forward looking range of over 200km if the reports are to be believed. With PL-15, Pl-10 and an HMS the JF-17 will be a deadly bird.

something which was mentioned to me by someone but it flew safely above my head.
I had a call with a PAF veteran as well and discussion came to JF 17. he mentioned RD 93 MA. I believe, if I remember correctly. the customized Russian engine being developed for JF-17 with some new features (that I failed to grasp). he mentioned mid air on/ off function and some computerized control of its thrust in certain ways. what I got out of that information was that Russia was developing on order a very customized jet engine meant for a single engine jet with particular (fill in space) features and since Russian airforce doesn't operate any single engine jet so it was purpose built for Pakistan.

rest is known to Allah and resident aviation galactic commanders on this forum.
RD-33 series is being used in twin engine configuration. In air start up of a flamed out engine can be powered by the other engine during one of the engine flame out occurrence.

In case of existing JF-17 with single RD-93, in air start up after flame out is not possible unless Chinese or PAF engineers already came out with some indigenous solution.

However, in RD-93 MA, provision of in air start up of a flamed out engine is one of the features.

FADEC is also customized for better performance of engine at various flight conditions.

I think what @MastanKhan is saying is there are 2 versions of KLJ-7A. An air cooled version with the main plate and the typical 110-120 degree scan with 175km range and a liquid cooled version with 200km+ range and 3 phased arrays (1 forward facing and 2 side facing). If the radar gives near 360 degree awareness, then it must be the liquid cooled radar with the 3 arrays. Which would give near 280 degree coverage to the JF-17 and a forward looking range of over 200km if the reports are to be believed. With PL-15, Pl-10 and an HMS the JF-17 will be a deadly bird.
You must be talking about this version:

1609737202538.png

The KLJ-7A ``three-sided array'' wide-angle airborne fire control radar unveiled at the Zhuhai Air Show in November 2018

At the 12th Zhuhai Airshow just concluded in November 2018, the KLJ-7A "three-sided array" wide-angle airborne active phased array radar developed by the 14th Research Institute of China Electric Technology Group, the highest level in China A number of anti-stealth radars for the representative were collectively unveiled, attracting the attention of domestic and foreign customers and media participating in the conference. These radars not only have powerful detection capabilities for traditional targets such as third-generation fighters and cruise missiles, but more importantly, they provide Chinese solutions to the anti-stealth fighter problems that have plagued air forces of various countries since the introduction of the fourth-generation fighters.

Deeply improved version of KLJ-7A

At the 11th Zhuhai Air Show held in November 2016, the 14th exhibited for the first time the airborne active phased array fire control radar (AESA): KLJ-7A for the third-generation fighters. At the 12th Zhuhai Airshow held in November 2018, we noticed that KLJ-7A has been upgraded to KLJ-7A "three-sided array". By comparing the difference between the two radars, it can be clearly seen that its technical level is more improved than the previous KLJ-7A, and the antenna has become "thin". This may be due to the use of more advanced nitrogen. Gallium fluoride element (GaN), this kind of device has high emission power and good heat resistance. A large area of lateral front is added to its side, which will greatly improve the detection range of radar.
Source:https://kknews.cc/zh-hk/military/a39qazx.html

RD-33 series is being used in twin engine configuration. In air start up of a flamed out engine can be powered by the other engine during one of the engine flame out occurrence.

In case of existing JF-17 with single RD-93, in air start up after flame out is not possible unless Chinese or PAF engineers already came out with some indigenous solution.

However, in RD-93 MA, provision of in air start up of a flamed out engine is one of the features.

FADEC is also customized for better performance of engine at various flight conditions.

93 has DEEC, 93MA has Bark-93 FADEC system.

PAF pilots regularly do engine flameout practices on jf-17. Keep in mind that the 93 is optimized towards single engine application whereas 33 is not.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom