What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 7]

Any engine change would require CoG adjustments, engine compartment changes, & extensive evaluation. But clearly JF-17 is not built around any particular engine as such & should be able to integrate other suitable engines. This is smart play.

This reminds me of my post on SDF from 2010, wherein I pointed out the difference between the engine compartment size & the engine diameter based on this:
It wouldn’t be a swap in and out but the concept was taken from the F-16 with its dual engine types. At one point a version of the M-53 was looked at as well(ironic as the Kaveri was to be based off it too). But the RD-33 has worked out well and with the WS series now becoming more and more reliable with better metallurgy (along with ease of spares and replacement) the supply chain is more reliable.

It wouldn’t be a swap in and out but the concept was taken from the F-16 with its dual engine types. At one point a version of the M-53 was looked at as well(ironic as the Kaveri was to be based off it too). But the RD-33 has worked out well and with the WS series now becoming more and more reliable with better metallurgy (along with ease of spares and replacement) the supply chain is more reliable.
I suspect the PAF is in a dilemma with regards to engines. Whereas the RD series has served the JFT well the Chinese are coming along rapidly and their engines are maturing. PAF on the other hand has set up depot level maintenance for the 93s. At what stage does it become a viable option to change over and what will be offered to either stay away or move towards the WS series? How much work would be required to change over the WS series and who will bear the cost? I understand that every conundrum brings with it an opportunity but what will the PAF do? Interesting times worth pondering over
A

I suspect the PAF is in a dilemma with regards to engines. Whereas the RD series has served the JFT well the Chinese are coming along rapidly and their engines are maturing. PAF on the other hand has set up depot level maintenance for the 93s. At what stage does it become a viable option to change over and what will be offered to either stay away or move towards the WS series? How much work would be required to change over the WS series and who will bear the cost? I understand that every conundrum brings with it an opportunity but what will the PAF do? Interesting times worth pondering over
A
I think issue more is whether it becomes viable to continue with the JF at all after ten years. The F-16 and F-15 have survived because for most of their primary lifecycle they were in the 4th generation era. Now the generation is moving from 4.5 to 5 fully and onto 6th so the JF came in the twilight of that. It will still remain very relevant for the next 30 years especially for the clients it is being focused on but eventually the eastern neighbor will get better in its expenses and the focus will have to be 5th gen and UCAVs. Unfortunately, neither the talent nor the leadership nor environment to harness good talent exists in Pakistan to keep the PAF ahead of the IAF beyond the next ten years. Vision is irrelevant if you don’t have the capability to execute it well. Based on what is going on in Pakistan soon they will need to import Chinese professionals to get more stuff done as well.

1636972102798.jpeg

Is this the Thunder in pic? A Brazilian smart kit for 500 lbs class air to ground weapons.

Published today with Janes Defence article (click here)
I see, well it looks similar in stature to what PAF already uses from the JF-17, I wonder what kind of capabilities this could add. Given it’s nature I’ve no doubt it can be used from a JF-17. PAF has bought from Brazil before, so it’ll be interesting to see if there’s any attention.

Thanks you for the correction, can you share some details on Dagger guidance kit, does it carry 2000lbs of warheard ?
It's a new venture from Brazil. Initially, for 500 pound-class bombs. Maybe expanded to include heavier warheads. All such systems from countries like Brazil, South Africa and Ukraine need foreign partners and their dollars for further development. You could always customize the stuff according to your requirements.

There’s definitely chatter on use of WS-13E on Block 3. I believe CATIC recently certified the engine on one of the prototypes too. The 10Cs will be coming with a Chinese engine too, so I won’t be surprised if we eventually see the same switchover for JF program too. At least for Block 3s.

View attachment 793443
Is this the Thunder in pic? A Brazilian smart kit for 500 lbs class air to ground weapons.
That is a Thunder, how old is this photo?
Isn't this something similar to REK & IREK? This is not a photo but a graphic. The use of JF-17 is generic and probably some marketing aswell. I mean after all most other fighters have SOW options of their own available and a company making something like this wants a market to target. And JF-17 with increasing number of users (including some in south america maybe?) definitely represents a potential market for the manufacturers.

Back
Top Bottom