What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 6]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually it is neither lack of money nor any other factor but our habit of buying things off the shelf and never getting involved in serious R&D. There is no lack of talent; see when we decided to develop nuclear weapons, we did, and it happened because of sheer commitment. We are operating Jets from 1950s onwards. Was it very difficult to get trained a lot of engineers in metallurgy and jet propulsion? Why we did not do that? 65 years is a very long period for nations to get established a generation of skilled personnel, but we were never interested. China, South Korea, Taiwan, Israel, India, Germany, Japan, all these countries started out with us and look where they are standing and where are we. Many members here do not have an insight into the hopeless (I repeat hopeless) situation of R&D but I have, for I am in close contact with many scientific institutions in Pakistan. You will not believe if I tell you stories of non-serious, in-fact almost criminal attitude of those sitting in the top positions.

Since I am at a good academic position in a University here in Malaysia and I have every imaginable facility to carry out quality research, I thought I should host some researchers from Pakistan. I discussed this matter with my Director who agreed to sign up a MOA with a Pakistani University of my choice. I wrote to a big-shot who I happen to know for almost 15 years. He also expressed interest but required me to furnish all the documents, which I did. I sent the documents to the Pakistani University and requested them to get their legal team have a look and let me know with the dates for the proposed visit. Since MOA can only be signed by the VC of our University, we arranged for the funds and now waiting for the dates from the Pakistani University. It is now almost two months and even my emails are not being replied. I have yet to receive the reviewed MOA and the dates for the proposed visit. My Director and the VC have asked me several times and I have no updates for them. Can you imagine how badly my position is affected because of the careless attitude of the Pakistani University? Do you think I will ever think about signing a MOU/MOA with any Pakistani University?

You talked to the wrong guy. PM me I will see if I could help u out. I am into education and stuff and know the right people in research. From right I mean dedicated serious.

You talked to the wrong guy. PM me I will see if I could help u out. I am into education and stuff and know the right people in research. From right I mean dedicated serious.
Thank you my friend but I am no longer interested in Pakistani Universities for I am done with helping them. I dont want to get myself into similar embarassing situation I currently am in, never again. Fool me once, shame on you; Fool me twice, shame on me.

Last edited:
Thank you my friend but I am no longer interested in Pakistani Universities for I am done with helping them. I dont want to get myself into similar embarassing situation I currently am in, never again. Fool me once, shame on you; Fool me twice, shame on me.

Hi,

You did it because you thought, maybe, it was your moral obligation---well---if so---then don't feel bad about it. Don't let one negative stop you---there will definitely be someone who will appreciate your efforts.

Hi,

You did it because you thought, maybe, it was your moral obligation---well---if so---then don't feel bad about it. Don't let one negative stop you---there will definitely be someone who will appreciate your efforts.
I must have reasons for getting myself into this mess. Fifteen years is long time and one tends to forget many things. This incident has at-least done one thing to me... it has reminded me why I left Pakistan.

Last edited:

Well indeed u r right because I know what is happening here and what these A$$ ho135 are actually interested in. I really don't want to pull any buddy's pants here but the mofos are destroying the whole generation. Still if u r interested let me know their are people except universities which are running programs dedicatedly for Pakistani youth and you must contact them so if their is any thing appear next time you should have some legitimate sources to share it with.

Are low cost fighters a solution for future battles?

With a price tag of $20 million, the Textron AirLand Scorpion is an inexpensive option in tactical aircraft.

While $20 million is no paltry sum – it’s still approximately 80 percent less than the pricetag for current fighter aircraft like the F-35.

As fighter jets become more and more expensive, the Scorpion is providing fighter capabilities at a lower price tag, something which could be key in an era of fiscal austerity and military funding cutbacks.

The fighter jet made an appearance at the nation’s capital last week at the Air Force Association Air & Space Conference. Textron used Washington D.C.’s National Airport to showcase the Scorpion, featuring a range of intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance sensors, known as ISR.

The jet made its international debut in July at the Farnborough International Airshow in the U.K. where Textron focused on the sort of weaponry it could carry. In August, Scorpion also took part in Vigilant Guard 2014, a large-scale disaster exercise conducted by the U.S. military’s Northern Command and Kansas National Guard. Scenarios included a simulated train derailment, medical evacuations, chemical spill and infrastructure damage.

Over the four days, Scorpion provided color high definition multi-spectral aerial reconnaissance full motion video and communications with other aircraft and ground stations.

Scorpion

Built in secret at a Cessna facility in Kansas, Scorpion was designed as a tactical plane that could handle a range of missions.

The aircraft length is about 44 feet and its wingspan is nearly 48 feet. Scorpion has a standard weight of 11,800 pounds and a max takeoff weight of 21,250 pounds. It has a top speed of around 520mph and can fly at a ceiling of 45,000 feet.

Scorpion can be weaponized using a number of different armaments, including precision-guided munitions for precision strikes. It can also be amped up with the air-to-surface and air-to-air weapons popular with the U.S. and its allies.

In addition to a combat role, Scorpion’s intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance capabilities can be enhanced. The aircraft can also be used in roles such as maritime and border patrol, irregular warfare, surveillance and humanitarian assistance.

Scorpion can take on a range of tasks - from detecting hidden ground explosives and capturing ground images through dense jungle through to distinguishing between illegal narcotic crops and legal ones.

How is it cheaper?

The Joint Strike Fighter, also known as the Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II, is set to join many leading air forces – the price tag will reportedly end up around $100 million per jet.

Some argue that jets like the F-35 and the Eurofighter Typhoon reveal a focus on advanced performance over cost.

The Scorpion took only two years to go from concept to its first flight.

To accelerate the development process and lower costs, Textron leveraged relationships with suppliers and integrated already-created components, rather than designing everything especially for their aircraft.

The company, for example, designed the aircraft to accommodate its preferred engine and ejection seats.

The low cost may appeal to air forces looking to replace older aircraft or who want to maximize their budget and acquire a larger fleet of less expensive aircraft.

However, Scorpion faces competition from countries like Russia and China. The Russian light strike fighter Yak-130 and the Chinese supersonic fighter JF-17 are both on the market and attracting buyers.

The U.S. Air Force is holding a competition next year as it looks to acquire 350 jet trainers to replace its T-38 fleet. The T-38s have been in service since the 1960s. Scorpion will join the fray for selection.

Scorpion production is set to kick off next year.
Scorpion: Low cost fighter jet for future battles? | Fox News

The
Are low cost fighters a solution for future battles?

With a price tag of $20 million, the Textron AirLand Scorpion is an inexpensive option in tactical aircraft.

While $20 million is no paltry sum – it’s still approximately 80 percent less than the pricetag for current fighter aircraft like the F-35.

As fighter jets become more and more expensive, the Scorpion is providing fighter capabilities at a lower price tag, something which could be key in an era of fiscal austerity and military funding cutbacks.

The fighter jet made an appearance at the nation’s capital last week at the Air Force Association Air & Space Conference. Textron used Washington D.C.’s National Airport to showcase the Scorpion, featuring a range of intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance sensors, known as ISR.

The jet made its international debut in July at the Farnborough International Airshow in the U.K. where Textron focused on the sort of weaponry it could carry. In August, Scorpion also took part in Vigilant Guard 2014, a large-scale disaster exercise conducted by the U.S. military’s Northern Command and Kansas National Guard. Scenarios included a simulated train derailment, medical evacuations, chemical spill and infrastructure damage.

Over the four days, Scorpion provided color high definition multi-spectral aerial reconnaissance full motion video and communications with other aircraft and ground stations.

Scorpion

Built in secret at a Cessna facility in Kansas, Scorpion was designed as a tactical plane that could handle a range of missions.

The aircraft length is about 44 feet and its wingspan is nearly 48 feet. Scorpion has a standard weight of 11,800 pounds and a max takeoff weight of 21,250 pounds. It has a top speed of around 520mph and can fly at a ceiling of 45,000 feet.

Scorpion can be weaponized using a number of different armaments, including precision-guided munitions for precision strikes. It can also be amped up with the air-to-surface and air-to-air weapons popular with the U.S. and its allies.

In addition to a combat role, Scorpion’s intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance capabilities can be enhanced. The aircraft can also be used in roles such as maritime and border patrol, irregular warfare, surveillance and humanitarian assistance.

Scorpion can take on a range of tasks - from detecting hidden ground explosives and capturing ground images through dense jungle through to distinguishing between illegal narcotic crops and legal ones.

How is it cheaper?

The Joint Strike Fighter, also known as the Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II, is set to join many leading air forces – the price tag will reportedly end up around $100 million per jet.

Some argue that jets like the F-35 and the Eurofighter Typhoon reveal a focus on advanced performance over cost.

The Scorpion took only two years to go from concept to its first flight.

To accelerate the development process and lower costs, Textron leveraged relationships with suppliers and integrated already-created components, rather than designing everything especially for their aircraft.

The company, for example, designed the aircraft to accommodate its preferred engine and ejection seats.

The low cost may appeal to air forces looking to replace older aircraft or who want to maximize their budget and acquire a larger fleet of less expensive aircraft.

However, Scorpion faces competition from countries like Russia and China. The Russian light strike fighter Yak-130 and the Chinese supersonic fighter JF-17 are both on the market and attracting buyers.

The U.S. Air Force is holding a competition next year as it looks to acquire 350 jet trainers to replace its T-38 fleet. The T-38s have been in service since the 1960s. Scorpion will join the fray for selection.

Scorpion production is set to kick off next year.
Scorpion: Low cost fighter jet for future battles? | Fox News

The Scorpion is a big gamble by its manufacturer's it has direct competition from UCAVs. A UCAV can perform all the roles of the Scorpion for even cheaper and with better loiter times. So air forces which can't get access to drone tech will show interest. JF-17 is in a whole different league.

Scorpion has good prospects for Afghanistan and Iraq.

The

The Scorpion is a big gamble by its manufacturer's it has direct competition from UCAVs. A UCAV can perform all the roles of the Scorpion for even cheaper and with better loiter times. So air forces which can't get access to drone tech will show interest. JF-17 is in a whole different league.

Scorpion is not direct or indirectly in competition to UCAV both are separate platforms.

The

countries need cheap solution for both air-to-air and air-to-ground
ucav perform only perform air-to-ground roll

countries need cheap solution for both air-to-air and air-to-ground
ucav perform only perform air-to-ground roll

The whole marketing pitch on the Scorpion is it can operate cheaply and Vs the JSF it can perform A-10 related CAS duties better since its a slow mover and has greater loiter time.

For AA combat there are better options available at a similar price range (JF-17s, L-15s and used F-16s etc) for the anti ground and surveillance role UAVs are better. Even the K-8 is a competitor to the Scorpion.

Lets keep the discussion to JF-17 related only. Scorpion and JF-17 don't have any relation or any competition.

X9hzAAs.jpg

getting a bit bored with all the images of JF-17 flying unarmed. Can figure out why we do not get to see the carrying and weapons, targeting pod. There are only a very few images of armed JF-17s. I think this is a perfect time to test some of its weapon systems in ongoing operation against terrorists but PAF is persisting with F-7, Mirages and F-16 in that role primarily. JF-17 have not been giving that imp role that it should have been. :(

getting a bit bored with all the images of JF-17 flying unarmed. Can figure out why we do not get to see the carrying and weapons, targeting pod. There are only a very few images of armed JF-17s. I think this is a perfect time to test some of its weapon systems in ongoing operation against terrorists but PAF is persisting with F-7, Mirages and F-16 in that role primarily. JF-17 have not been giving that imp role that it should have been. :(

be13b8e1jw1ejgk3arinfj20rs0ik75t.jpg
be13b8e1jw1ejgk3arinfj20rs0ik75t.jpg

Last edited:

That is more like it. :) You know i just quoted you and added a sad simile at the end knowing you will share some good stuff. :laugh:

But seriously, apart from this image and a few others as well, don't you also feel that the images coming out of unarmed JF-17 heavily out number the ones in which it is carrying weapons. Also i do feel that JF-17 have not been assigned that important role in operation zarb-e-azb that it should have been being a new system and an open structure design with room for improvements. May be battle time testing (although there was no A2A scenario but at least in A2G) would have been the best evaluation!!
The image you posted, though really impressive is also not from an operation flight but is more of a marketing image.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom