klj7 v2 [kanwa]
JF-17 Thunder - Information Pool | Page 23
Q7vCU.jpg
Pla7c.jpg

KxzrXJp.jpg

just a rough table, need input if any one's interested
@Dazzler @sancho

Last edited:
That is is no way the same radar antenna is bigger in newer one IMHO.

@Chak Bamu

Seeing a few planes being permanent fixture in China for hardware/software upgrades and for engine trials. Why is it so important to worry about the chinese engines on the Thunder. I can see in our future a J-31 and for that engine is of utmost importance. But RD-93 works just fine for us on the 17?
I think we all feel a bit vulnerable from the fickleness of the russian supply chain. I know PAF will always find ways around but the sooner we are free from this dependence the better. Whether we achieve this in the life cycle of the JFT is another thing I often wonder about. I also feel that the Russians will offer us a better engine the moment WS13 comes into mass production. No one wants to loose business to another country. But in the absence of a second choice____________I worry !!

Last edited:
I think we all feel a bit vulnerable from the fickleness of the russian supply chain. I know PAF will always find ways around but the sooner we are free from this dependence the better. Whether we achieve this in the pife cycle of the JFT is another thing I often wonder about. I also feel that the Russians will offer us a better engine the moment WS13 comes into mass production. No one wants to poose business to another country. But 8n the absence of a second choice____________I worry !!

Who made you a think tank? Seriously man i also want to be one :D

Hahahaha

I guess you are right, but the Chinese need time. A lot of time.

I think we all feel a bit vulnerable from the fickleness of the russian supply chain. I know PAF will always find ways around but the sooner we are free from this dependence the better. Whether we achieve this in the pife cycle of the JFT is another thing I often wonder about. I also feel that the Russians will offer us a better engine the moment WS13 comes into mass production. No one wants to poose business to another country. But 8n the absence of a second choice____________I worry !!

I worry about your smart phone that does not let you type well enough.

On the serious side, we Pakistanis have often worried about Russian engine issue. I remember very well the days leading up to acquisition of JF-17 in 2007, when Indians had made a lot of noise about Russians never allowing re-export of RD-93.

Some Chinese posters, such as renowned TPHuang on SDF were dead set against prospects of Chengdu Aircraft Corporation spending resources to install, test, and certify a new engine (such as WS-13) I remember locking horns with TP on this point.

So, we have had issues. The big thing would be if Russians support engine overhaul of RD-93 in Pakistan and also sell RD-93MA.

But in the future I definitely see up-rated WS-13 powering JF-17 and possibly J-31. I think WS-17 is WS-13 with TVC. Am I right in this?

Last edited:
Russia is slowly moving to Pakistan. India has been acting pro USA for some time. Their deals with the Indians are also done (PAKFA/MKI) is there is little leverage left. Pakistani has been put on military export list in Russia. We are going to be part of the "NATO" for Asia for which we have some years the observers status... I do not think rd93MA is build for someone else then Pakistan. The Chinese are busy with the WS13 for export to African nations or others that are not able to pay 25-30 a plane. And for their own inventory to replace all those J7's. They surely are busy with J10, J11 etc but sooner or later those J7 need replacement.

From what I have read ...

JF-17 Max Aft. Burner Thrust
RD93MA = 9300kg / 20460lbs.
RD93 = 8300kg / 18260lbs

JF-17 Typical Mission Take-Off Weight = 9100kg / 20020lbs

Thrust To Ratio For JF-17:
RD93MA = 1.022
RD93 = 0.912

JF-17 Initial Climb Rate (Mach:0.85 at SL):
RD93MA = 280m/s estimated.
RD93 = 249m/s.

Although the google translated link below reads like Yoda from Star Wars narrating the whole content, it provides insight to the possibility of a JFT with significantly superior agility ... but it also reveals that the current JF-17 radar detection range 130Km for 3m^2 targets:
Google Translate of Link

Last edited:
From what I have read ...

JF-17 Max Aft. Burner Thrust
RD93MA = 9300kg / 20460lbs.
RD93 = 8300kg / 18260lbs

JF-17 Typical Mission Take-Off Weight = 9100kg / 20020lbs

Thrust To Ratio For JF-17:
RD93MA = 1.022
RD93 = 0.912

JF-17 Initial Climb Rate (Mach:0.85 at SL):
RD93MA = 280m/s estimated.
RD93 = 249m/s.

Although the google translated link below reads like Yoda from Star Wars narrating the whole content, it provides insight to the possibility of a JFT with significantly superior agility ... but it also reveals that the current JF-17 radar detection range 130Km for 3m^2 targets:
Google Translate of Link

This does sound like a fair description. 10 tonnes of extra thrust is going to do wonders to the JF-17's agility, thrust to wight ratio, acceleration, survivability and payload.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom