What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are and expensive too boot. Aircraft using greater amounts of composites increase their cost of manufacture and maintenance quite exponentially.

Wrong budyy, it will not only reduce the weight of plan, as well maintenance cost and make it stealthy

Wrong budyy, it will not only reduce the weight of plan, as well maintenance cost and make it stealthy

Dear, i am afraid that you are wrong on this.
Addition of composite materials increases the maintenance costs, yes, the weight will be reduced and use of composites in certain areas will also reduce RCS but the maintenance costs will increase slightly.

regards!

Dear, i am afraid that you are wrong on this.
Addition of composite materials increases the maintenance costs, yes, the weight will be reduced and use of composites in certain areas will also reduce RCS but the maintenance costs will increase slightly.

regards!

How do you say maintenance costs increases when composite has more shear strength and stress co-efficient and anti-corrosive properties compared with a metal? The unit cost might slightly increase but the maintenance cost will decrease due to the composite content.

use of composites in certain areas will also reduce RCS but the maintenance costs will increase slightly

life cycle cost decreases with the composites .. no?

yup expenisve to maintain and produce but it seem only viable option if we cant get an engine update

yup expenisve to maintain and produce but it seem only viable option if we cant get an engine update

With the rapid advances in composites, it is no longer expensive to make. The entire plane is not made out of composites. Small parts are made of composites which in turn make up the plane like a jigsaw puzzle. When Designing items like aircraft/cars, the engineers prime focus is how a particular part may be replaced. Thus, unless you snap the composite part, i don't see why it would be expensive.

How do you say maintenance costs increases when composite has more shear strength and stress co-efficient and anti-corrosive properties compared with a metal? The unit cost might slightly increase but the maintenance cost will decrease due to the composite content.

you cant exactly fix tears and cracks on composite, which btw are very common on fighters...
you have to basically replace the whole part most of the time instead of fixing it

Whats the status of Composite materials usage in the Block II ? Oscar baba?

Whats the status of Composite materials usage in the Block II ? Oscar baba?

Not much.. minuscule amounts here and there..
The aircraft is light and strong enough with aluminum as it is.
Composites will drive up the costs.. and act against the very concept of the JF-17.

Not much.. minuscule amounts here and there..
The aircraft is light and strong enough with aluminum as it is.
Composites will drive up the costs.. and act against the very concept of the JF-17.

A newbie question Oscar sahib : Could a block 2 variant be designed keeping in mind a certain unique role and be thus inducted in fairly small quantities instead of the natural progression that we're assuming it would go for ? I mean is it plausible that the Block 2 is a naval variant with modifications done to the air craft to fit that role much better than a standard JF-17 normally would or that a Block 2 has a much more pronounced Ground Attack role to it and hence is designed keeping that in mind. And that in the end instead of inducting something like a 100 or so air craft we end up with only about a dozen or two specialized variants instead of a natural successor to the Block 1.

A newbie question Oscar sahib : Could a block 2 variant be designed keeping in mind a certain unique role and be thus inducted in fairly small quantities instead of the natural progression that we're assuming it would go for ? I mean is it plausible that the Block 2 is a naval variant with modifications done to the air craft to fit that role much better than a standard JF-17 normally would or that a Block 2 has a much more pronounced Ground Attack role to it and hence is designed keeping that in mind. And that in the end instead of inducting something like a 100 or so air craft we end up with only about a dozen or two specialized variants instead of a natural successor to the Block 1.

Hi Armstrong,

Though you haven't directed your question at me, but i'll like to add my view....the answer for your question is in the name JF-17 itself. JF-17 is a true multirole figher, meaning it can be configured for any role. Air to ground, Air to Air or Air to Sea. Basically, we have seen JF-17 is capable of carrying 2 C803 anti-ship missiles, which is a fair amount of naval power. The beauty of JF-17's multi-role lies therein. You can have a JF-17 fight Air to Air missions, then come back to base and then head out for Naval roles.

However, what i would like to see as a dedicated JF-17 version, would be that of SEAD....like the dedicated F-18Growlers for Electronic warfare, PAF should have dedicated JF-17s assets which can accompany our JF-17s in the strike roles at the same altitude and speed. Maybe add more pods and ECCM features?

Hi Armstrong,

Though you haven't directed your question at me, but i'll like to add my view....the answer for your question is in the name JF-17 itself. JF-17 is a true multirole figher, meaning it can be configured for any role. Air to ground, Air to Air or Air to Sea. Basically, we have seen JF-17 is capable of carrying 2 C803 anti-ship missiles, which is a fair amount of naval power. The beauty of JF-17's multi-role lies therein. You can have a JF-17 fight Air to Air missions, then come back to base and then head out for Naval roles.

However, what i would like to see as a dedicated JF-17 version, would be that of SEAD....like the dedicated F-18Growlers for Electronic warfare, PAF should have dedicated JF-17s assets which can accompany our JF-17s in the strike roles at the same altitude and speed. Maybe add more pods and ECCM features?
Jf-17 thunder already have ECCM Features and 1.2 Mach speed at sea level which is compare able to all Modern multi-role fightes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom