What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that supposed to fix the smoke problem? because I'd imagine the trail would provide assistance to the enemy during close combat in making it easier to keep on its track.

What was the last fighter jet that had an engine with smoke trail?

According to some sites the smoke issue have been solved, but if i am not wrong there was still a smoke trail coming out from the engine in JF-17 04 Prototype.

First of all it's not smoke but fuel vapors not compleately burn in the engine.I remember the F-4 phantom was famous for it's vapors trails in the vietnam wars.mig fighters can spots one miles aways. check this site

http://jf-17.com/engine.htm
As you can see in the photos below.
Fulcrum's RD-33 and Fencer's AL-21F engines are much more visible as they approach.

The Su-27's AL-31F's are much cleaner...... there were a few puffs of smoke - but only during maneouvres where the throttles were being used violently.

Attachments

• Smoking _01.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Smoking _02.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 40
The JF-17's engine smoke problem can only be solved by replacing the RD-93 with a different engine; which I think will happen. The Chinese are developing the WS-13 engine for their next generation fighters; and there it is as good as confirmed that its first platform will be JF-17.

Mark, there are rumors that PAC is looking at Snecma Atar-9C, upgraded version for the JF-17.
Can you confirm this?

Rumor include full ToT and workshop to PAC Kamra for overhauling and repairs of existing engines all over the world.
Someone else heard this aswell?
Any links?

Pakistan set to get eight JF-17 fighter jets next year

Wednesday November 22, 2006
By Aamir Ashraf

KARACHI (Reuters) - Pakistan is set to get the first batch of eight medium-technology fighter jets from China next year and the country would start manufacturing them locally from January 2008, a senior military official said on Wednesday.

"We shall...have the first two (JF-17 Thunder fighter) aircraft on March 23rd, while the remaining of the first batch of eight aircraft will also arrive next year," Air Marshal Khalid Choudhry, Chairman of Pakistan Aeronautical Complex, told Reuters.

"The hardcore production of JF-17 in Pakistan will start in January 2008."

According to the agreement between China and Pakistan, once full production starts, half the planes would be produced in China and half in Pakistan.

Chengu Aircraft Design Institute designed the aircraft and the prototypes were manufactured by Chengdu Aircraft Industry Company -- both based in China's Sichuan province.

Choudhry said the medium-technology aircraft, a joint production with China, matches the Mirage in performance but has better avionics and weapons.

Air force officials said the JF-17 could achieve a speed of 1.6 Mach, altitude of 55,000 feet and carry weapons of modern warfare.

The JF-17 are due to replace the ageing fleet of Mirage 3 and 5, A-5 and F-7 aircraft.

Choudhry said the Pakistan Air Force was looking to acquire 200 to 300 such aircraft, while the Chinese Air Force would also acquire some.

"We plan to start producing 20 to 25 aircraft every year from 2008, and they would be the main strength of the Pakistan Air Force," Choudhry said on the sidelines of a four-day arms exhibition in the port city of Karachi.

He said Pakistan also planned to export JF-17 once its full production started in the country.

"This aircraft will cost less then $20 million, so it is a very attractive equipment for the third world and developing countries who has small air forces and small budget," he said.

"A number of countries have already approached us," he said hoping that Pakistan Aeronautical Complex would start getting orders from other countries by next year.

Pakistan is mainly dependent on imports from the United States, France and China to meet its defence needs.

Last month, Pakistan and the United States signed a letter of acceptance for a multi-billion dollar package to supply the Pakistan Air Force with 18 new F-16 warplanes, as well as an unspecified number of upgraded second-hand F-16s.

The United States will also sell Pakistan missile weaponry and other support infrastructure, and upgrade Pakistan's present fleet of 34 old-model F-16s.

http://in.news.yahoo.com/061122/137/69mai.html

Pakistan set to get eight JF-17 fighter jets next year

Wednesday November 22, 2006
By Aamir Ashraf

KARACHI (Reuters) - Pakistan is set to get the first batch of eight medium-technology fighter jets from China next year and the country would start manufacturing them locally from January 2008, a senior military official said on Wednesday.

Well every thing in this article was alrite.
but i couldnt understand whats that medium technology means in the very start:confused: .

It was suppose to be last years, and then this year and npw its next year and that too only 8 nos.:rolleyes:

Choudhry said the medium-technology aircraft, a joint production with China, matches the Mirage in performance but has better avionics and weapons.

Does this mean it matches the mirage 5 that PAF currently operates? but with better avionics and missiles?

I also met a retired AVM ( retired in 90's) who had the same opinion and said that JF-17, was essentailly a 3.5 generation aircraft. I mentioned this in another forum, but every one discounted it thinking that a retired AVM was out of the loop. No the same idea by the Chief of Pak Aernonautical Complex! makes me worried. Are we gloating over a hardware which being medium technology is below par in modern environment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom