What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Most of the older planes were designed around the engines. I understand the JF 17's design is that of a MODULAR type design---which may accept similiar output engines without undergoing major changes---it was discussed by a very well versed member on another forum " gfaustralia" a year or two ago.

Pakistan is in midst of building about 500 JF-17 Thunder fighters, probably the biggest build up of planes in the history of the world. This is one of the greatest achievements of the Pakistani government in the past 8 years. This project removes the Pakistani defense from the shackles of foreign government.
Many countries with enormous resources and tremendous backing have tried to produce airplanes. The huge failures of the Brazilians and the Israelis (Lavi) are in written in stone.
------------------------
jacksen

drivenwide.com

Jacksen where did u get this info from that pak is gona build 500 of jf-17's?
U have link of some sort that web address u have down below is some weriod site!! :disagree::what:

This project removes the Pakistani defense from the shackles of foreign government.
------------------------
jacksen

drivenwide.com

Engine will be Russian or French. All avionics/radar will be foreign. Ejection seat is perhaps English. All missiles are foreign. I dont know how much Chinese would want to control in production ........ so my friend the shackles remains.

Engine will be Russian or French. All avionics/radar will be foreign. Ejection seat is perhaps English. All missiles are foreign. I dont know how much Chinese would want to control in production ........ so my friend the shackles remains.

No they do not. Ejection seat is Chinese and PAF is happy with it (this is after decades of using MB 0/0 Ejection seats on various aircraft). There is confidence in the capabilities of the new seat thus PAF has not gone the path of upgrading these with the Martin Baker ones (as we had even with the A-5s). The engine will be Russian but Chinese are working on a variant. PAF will always have the option of choosing between the Chinese or the Western avionics and armaments. This is the beauty of it. PAF may decide to upgrade 50-100 JF-17s with Western avionics and the rest with Chinese. The dependence on the western supplier is no longer back-breaking for the PAF. If they say no to the PAF, we can always switch over to the Chinese without too many problems and have a viable and very decent package from them. Also the sanctions concern is primarily from the US. Since they have nothing to do with avionics, armaments and the propulsion, PAF is shackle-less ;)

First batch of 50 JF-17' Block I will be equipped with Chinese KLJ-8 radar, discussed earlier in this thread.

Isn't the actual # of jf-17 hope to be around 250 to 300 ?

Yes, it was states by ACM that 150 are ordered but he expected the total number to rise to be around 250 by 2017.

First batch of 50 JF-17' Block I will be equipped with Chinese KLJ-8 radar, discussed earlier in this thread.

I think you mean the KLJ-7 radar. Right?

is it wise to invest in same platform in noumbers upto 300,
if there is some flaw or weakness then whole airforce gets induced by it, ex case of mig21 of IAF are now useless,but mig21 effected the whole IAF preparedness after 1990 because of there sheer numbers.

Why not? Americans had 1400+ F-16s in service. IAF is ordering 240 MKIs. The kinks are worked out over time. A lot has to do with pilot training and maintenance procedures.

I think you mean the KLJ-7 radar. Right?

My bad, its KLJ-7 indeed. :oops:

The KLJ-7, also referred to as the Type 1478 is an airborne X-band firecontrol radar developed by the China Electronics Technology Company's (CETC's) No 14 Research Institute, Nanjing Research Institute of Electronic Technology (NRIET).

The KLJ-7 has multiple modes, both beyond-visual-range (BVR) and close-in air-to-air modes, ground surveillance and a robust anti-jamming capability. The radar can reportedly manage up to 40 targets, monitor up to 10 of them in track-while-scan (TWS) mode and simultaneously fire on two BVR targets.

The detection range for targets with a radar-cross section of up to 3 m 2 is 120 km or 50 km in look-down mode. Surface sea targets can be detected at up to 135 km. Target data is displayed on a digital map in the cockpit.

Most modern Chinese air-launched weapons, such as the Luoyang Electro-Optical Equipment Research Institute PL-9C and Leihua Electronic Technology Research Institute SD-10 air-to-air missiles (AAM), are supported by the KLJ-7. However, there are reportedly modes on board to support a range of NATO weaponry, including Raytheon Missile Systems' AIM-9 Sidewinder short-range and AIM-7 Sparrow medium-range AAMs.

The detection range for targets with a radar-cross section of up to 3 m 2 is 120 km or 50 km in look-down mode. Surface sea targets can be detected at up to 135 km. Target data is displayed on a digital map in the cockpit.

135km against sea targets? isn't very low? I mean if it will carry raad or babur cruise missile so how it will detect sea targets at 300-500km range??

In a netcentric scenario Erieye will be the eyes and ears, not the KLJ-7.

Neo, lets not forget in the hoopla about net-centricity that you need the actual radar on the fighter to cue to the missile to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom