What's new

JF-17 Thunder Block-II replaces F-7P Skybolt of the Number 2 Minhas Squadron.

Every second squad is based on JF 17 thunder they are making IAF job lot easier for planning and tactic point of view
Everyone knew JF-17 would be the backbone fighter, and that means it would be with the most number of squadrons. That said, the commonality in infrastructure between different bases will allow a lot of flexibility for PAF. If Southern Air Command needs more AShW capable fighters and Central has a few JF-17 to spare, it can then deploy those units knowing the South would be able to maintain and operate them with minimal lead time.

Every second squad is based on JF 17 thunder they are making IAF job lot easier for planning and tactic point of view

- If you were a planner for the IAF, would you want your boys to take on a massive fleet of F-7p's or would you rather want a JFT ?? ... lemme tell you ... If I were a planner for the IAF .... I'd rather have my guys take on F-7's as I would not have to worry about them engaging me in 40-50 Km distances ... I would have easier kills because I would have inferior EW capabilities to deal with --- I would feel much more comfortable because I would have a similar platform in the Mig-21 in my own airforce to work out the capabilities of the fighter in WVR and train my guys to come up with tactics to neutralize such and such ...

But when you have a JFT ... the picture change is almost too drastic ... now you have to worry about a legitimate BVR threat to your own planes, you have to worry about the EW capabilities of the JFT, you have to worry about the availability of your own aircraft owing to the fact, when these jets (JFT) are inducted in numbers like around 100, you will most certainly face a 4th generation platform in the F-16 or JFT every time you decide to get in the air space of PAF --- and lets not forget the jet inducted is not "static" per say --- the standard would be the block II and with new weaponry coming out of China and other countries the jet in the near future will be a bigger threat then it is today ...

Bottom line .... Sq-2 Minhas has been upgraded from using 3rd generation F-7p's which were modified to have better avionics --- with a true 4th generation platform and this upgrade of more or less a generation in equipment will make the job of IAF alot more difficult instead of "easier" as you put it ...

Last edited:
Pakistan has only 50 CM-400AKG in the inventory. Dont know such a small number will be useful.

IN has 10 or 11 Destroyers 1 Aircraft carrier (one under construction) adding these number give you maximum 13 worthy targets for CM-400 AKG; I believe that we will not use these missiles to target Frigates or Corvette or logistics & Supports ships so that give us ~4 missiles against Destroyers & Carrier ships even if we do not buy more CM-400 AKG ....

IN has 10 or 11 Destroyers 1 Aircraft carrier (one under construction) adding these number give you maximum 13 worthy targets for CM-400 AKG; I believe that we will not use these missiles to target Frigates or Corvette or logistics & Supports ships so that give us ~4 missiles against Destroyers & Carrier ships even if we do not buy more CM-400 AKG ....

A selam

What did happen to all the PROTOTYPES ?

PT-01, PT-02, and PT-03. PT-04, PT-05, and PT-06 Are we using them as trainers or still as Test Plattforms ? Can we integerade them in a regular squadron as air defence fighters ?

AIR_JF-17_Parked_Armed_Top_lg.jpg

- If you were a planner for the IAF, would you want your boys to take on a massive fleet of F-7p's or would you rather want a JFT ?? ... lemme tell you ... If I were a planner for the IAF .... I'd rather have my guys take on F-7's as I would not have to worry about them engaging me in 40-50 Km distances ... I would have easier kills because I would have inferior EW capabilities to deal with --- I would feel much more comfortable because I would have a similar platform in the Mig-21 in my own airforce to work out the capabilities of the fighter in WVR and train my guys to come up with tactics to neutralize such and such ...

But when you have a JFT ... the picture change is almost too drastic ... now you have to worry about a legitimate BVR threat to your own planes, you have to worry about the EW capabilities of the JFT, you have to worry about the availability of your own aircraft owing to the fact, when these jets (JFT) are inducted in numbers like around 100, you will most certainly face a 4th generation platform in the F-16 or JFT every time you decide to get in the air space of PAF --- and lets not forget the jet inducted is not "static" per say --- the standard would be the block II and with new weaponry coming out of China and other countries the jet in the near future will be a bigger threat then it is today ...

Bottom line .... Sq-2 Minhas has been upgraded from using 3rd generation F-7p's which were modified to have better avionics --- with a true 4th generation platform and this upgrade of more or less a generation in equipment will make the job of IAF alot more difficult instead of "easier" as you put it ...
Well said.

The CM-400AKG and C-802A are important additions, though it won't entirely compensate for the lack of strong naval capabilities in the form of submarines and multi-mission frigates, the latter for area wide air defence. That said, prior to JF-17 the only platform we 100% knew would partake in anti-shipping missions were specially equipped Mirages. This is no longer the case, any JF-17 could be used for AShW.

Back
Top Bottom