What's new

JF-17 at Zuhai Air Show 2010

The bird is designed to fly at Mach-1.4.
In modern day war scenario, speed doesn't count as much as manouveribility, and the JF-17 has proved that it can turn on a penny.
The much hyped F/A-18 only does some what Mach-1.8.

WJ,

Speed does help and specially in the case of BVR combat when you are trying to evade and move away from a run-in or merge. While other aspects should not be sacrificed for the sake of high speed, some balance is needed. BTW, I agree that the JF-17 has pretty decent flight performance.

The bird is designed to fly at Mach-1.4.
In modern day war scenario, speed doesn't count as much as manouveribility, and the JF-17 has proved that it can turn on a penny.
The much hyped F/A-18 only does some what Mach-1.8.

correct me if im wrong but iv read many times that JF-17 is capable of mach 1.8....

WJ,

Speed does help and specially in the case of BVR combat when you are trying to evade and move away from a run-in or merge. While other aspects should not be sacrificed for the sake of high speed, some balance is needed. BTW, I agree that the JF-17 has pretty decent flight performance.

Honorable, SM,

Those BVRs fly at Mach-3+ or -, the only option and hope is Chafe/Flares or out maneuvering the threat.
BTW, folks across the border are pretty disturbed at the Thunder's performance.

correct me if im wrong but iv read many times that JF-17 is capable of mach 1.8....

Albeit, it's classified but my understanding is that it's around Mach 1.6
Remember, the F/A-18 is a twin engined toy.

Honorable, SM,

Those BVRs fly at Mach-3+ or -, the only option and hope is Chafe/Flares or out maneuvering the threat.
BTW, folks across the border are pretty disturbed at the Thunder's performance.

Its not the performance of JFT sir, I am among those who haven't found the cake as sweet as we wanted it to be.. but the part of complain was more about pilot who in an opinion doesn't pull the bird to its limits and flew safe. Few F-16 Maneuverability videos were presented as comparison and after watching those I had also felt like "Gossh.. I wanted JFT to be that good in maneuvers as were are told its more maneuverable than the most maneuverable F-16-A/B". It might be in reality but we didn't feel it reached there yet in the present demonstration.

Some comparison F-16 Manuvers

YouTube - Demonstration Lockheed Martin F16C Bourget 2009

Its not the performance of JFT sir, I am among those who haven't found the cake as sweet as we wanted it to be.. but the part of complain was more about pilot who in an opinion doesn't pull the bird to its limits and flew safe. Few F-16 Maneuverability videos were presented as comparison and after watching those I had also felt like "Gossh.. I wanted JFT to be that good in maneuvers as were are told its more maneuverable than the most maneuverable F-16-A/B". It might be in reality but we didn't feel it reached there yet in the present demonstration.

The tragedy is that we always like to name our poison, in other words, we like to have our cake, eat it and would like to get paid for enjoying it.
The F-16 first took to the skies in the early seventies, and has evolved into it's current prospectus after remaining on the scene for some 40 years. On the other hand, the JFT has gate crashed onto the scene from drawing board and onto it's present status in less than a decade with a maturity date yet to be determined.
Albeit the F-16 can fly rings around many opponents, yet it doesn't posses the standing station of several hours of say, the vulnerable Tornado. The JFT may not be in the same class as the Viper, but having some five JFT in the air for the same tag as a single Viper is the best option for the PAF or for that matter for any developing nation. On a side note, can you determine, what performance the Thunder will be delivering in next 40 years.

Pratik Sawerdekar is a free lance aviation observer and is active in two defense organizations namely Defense Aviation and Indian Defense Research Wing(IDRW). He has written articles for defenseaviation.com and IDRW's magazine "Security" and is also a forum moderator of Defense Aviation Forum

Source: angle-of-attack.blogspot.com/2010/11/jf-17-maneuverability.html

JF-17's Maneuverability !
Came across this video posted by a Pakistani on Orkut Community named Fighter Planes. This is probably the first video showcasing the true maneuvering capability of the JF-17 and I have to say that I am impressed.
The JF-17 certainly flies much better than the Mirage-2000 thanks to lower weight and 85kN (approx) thrust of its Russian engine. This makes me thankful that India didn't get the Mirage-2000 for MMRCA because looking at the video it makes me believe that the JF-17 is a solid platform. However in terms of avionics, electronics and other capabilities I believe that it still lags behind. But with European help coming to upgrade the current JF-17 Block-1 into Block-2 we can expect it to become as good as F-16 Block 50 depending upon what the Pakistani's put into it. IAF officials were right in saying that JF-17 can quickly become a threat which was dismissed by many in the online community including myself.
However India's domination of the Sub-continental skies will continue with 270 Su-30MKI, LCA-Tejas induction in 6 months time and with Typhoon, Rafael and F/A-18SH leading the MMRCA race. But the question to you guys is that has JF-17 matured enough to challenge the IAF in someway ?

....read the comments on this article.....

oh yeah....never forget to say....welcome goof:):):)
cuz its me.....a new bee in town:) or new chimp in jungle:):)
merci,
bonsoire

(You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites after you have made 15 posts or more.....lo kar lo gul)

20101112-1112_15.jpg
20101112-1289570870_80292.jpg

Some comparison F-16 Manuvers

YouTube - Demonstration Lockheed Martin F16C Bourget 2009

i agree!
thunder was good but wasn't as good as the f-16 in the video^^
infact that was one of the best f-16 demo i've ever seen!

Easy on the JFT/Xiaolong guys, it was the first time the aircraft was displayed - Perhaps an entire routine has to be worked out to really put the JFT through it's paces - new Air show teams have to be trained as to how to deal with media presence (learn to smile and be friendly)

So, it's not be so hard on the kind of routine that was presented, it was a first effort, we don't have much or really any experience at presenting at international sir shows but we are fast learners.

well i was disappointed a bit.........the pilot could've pulled couple of sharp manuevers...and not to mention the rolls were quite lousy.
but nevertheless seeing it flying in the sky was great!

However India's domination of the Sub-continental skies will continue with 270 Su-30MKI, LCA-Tejas induction in 6 months time and with Typhoon, Rafael and F/A-18SH leading the MMRCA race.

IAF will have the numbers edge always but qualatatively we (PAF) hope to close the gap quickly with our F-16 fleet (blk 52s+MLUs), JFT (blk-1/2) and the FC-20 - we hope to 'deny' the IAF 'supramacy' of the skies as we have done so in the past.

well i was disappointed a bit.........the pilot could've pulled couple of sharp manuevers...and not to mention the rolls were quite lousy.
but nevertheless seeing it flying in the sky was great!

dear friend dont be so down.

now say it with me... God bless windjammer and refer to his post 773 and 775 and watch the video and check out from 04:50 onwards

http://www.defence.pk/forums/jf-17-thunder/74163-jf-17-zuhai-air-show-2010-a-52.html#post1290870

if you still need the need check out the 775 post and check out at 02:18 and onwards

http://www.defence.pk/forums/jf-17-thunder/74163-jf-17-zuhai-air-show-2010-a-52.html#post1290904

now say Subhanallah

God bless... I had my doubts and thought I am just having to love it because it is our first and only creation but these videos were a feast to the eyes

now get your shoulders back up and smile for us :wave::wave:

:pakistan:

Back
Top Bottom