What's new

Jet, Set, Go: Army Man ‘Packs’ a Punch to Tackle Siachen like Disaster

index_01.jpg

^^^ Yup my man and add autonomy to the problem.

If the jetpack brings you only as far as your target, what do you do with it?
Do you discard it? That would be worst littering than those tourists in the Himalayas!!!

And they better be cheap, otherwise the soldiers will be asked to lug the empty ones back!!!

;) Tay.

Last edited:
It's never going to be viable, another unrealistic pipe dream project IMO.

Right, Instead of developing a jet pack like shown in the pic, I would like scientists develop a certain type of harmless non-flammable propellant packed in a small cylinder packed unto back of a soldier anytime he ventures outside for patrol. So that for a small avalanche if it buries him and he has sense, can have some sort of trigger mechanism which would propel him out of the snow or it can open up a hole in order to breathe and till the rescue team comes.

@PARIKRAMA @knight11

Do you discard it? That would be worst littering than those tourists in the Himalayas!!!

And they better be cheap, otherwise the soldiers will be asked to lug the empty ones back!!!

;) Tay.
:lol: True that!....:omghaha: lol at the last line....

Right, Instead of developing a jet pack like shown in the pic, I would like scientists develop a certain type of harmless non-flammable propellant packed in a small cylinder packed unto back of a soldier anytime he ventures outside for patrol. So that for a small avalanche if it buries him and he has sense, can have some sort of trigger mechanism which would propel him out of the snow or it can open up a hole in order to breathe and till the rescue team comes.

@PARIKRAMA @knight11

Thats very humble of you Sir but again...

..............:rofl:

@PARIKRAMA @knight11

What you are talking is perhaps under a different terminology but within the specifics of a Exoskeleton...
But that kind of thing will take time and research (read money)

A lower cots option is actually not very feasible.. its more vital to look for a exoskeleton for a full range of capability enhancement particularly its performance in adverse conditions like mountains

May be something similar to HALO suites..

but thats pretty much a wish list and deep into future..

For the moment dedicated GPS tag for locating such soldiers is far more important than may be jet packs..

;) Tay.

IA has been on the Siachen Glacier since 1984. Which means it has been continuously occupied for the last 30 years by "tourists" who come and go. Do you really think its not littered ? Its not like you get to dispose of your litter on the top of the world and no one is going to back it back down. Even your shit gets frozen into Rocks within minutes.

However Cheetah Helicopter can reach up to Siachen and can lug back the empty jet packs.

@PARIKRAMA @knight11

Jet pack shown in the pic is not a bad solution for jumping to the other end, but to make it reliable.

In case of avalanche type scenario, you mean Iron Man Suit LOLZ.
In reality, the avalanche could be avoided with intelligent, learning, and best way is to avoid such situation.
I have lived in mountains and the best way to avoid such accident is to learn the nature of the snow (soft snow or solidify snow depends on temp, air, dimension, etc), identify the probability of the avalance in the particular region and create the artifical avalanche regularly, but the most important to learn the Worst Case Scenario if trapped bellow snow i.e to try to come out in the first 10 minute, because after that the snow becomes hard.
Technologies could avoid such disaster, and speciallized institution should be created for the study, and developed the technique to avoid such mishaps in the country. Other option can be Panic device and locating device, to locate the survivors quickly.

What you are talking is perhaps under a different terminology but within the specifics of a Exoskeleton...
But that kind of thing will take time and research (read money)

A lower cots option is actually not very feasible.. its more vital to look for a exoskeleton for a full range of capability enhancement particularly its performance in adverse conditions like mountains

May be something similar to HALO suites..

but thats pretty much a wish list and deep into future..

For the moment dedicated GPS tag for locating such soldiers is far more important than may be jet packs..

Suites that help you against an Avalanche is already available in the market.

article-1162439-03EDF9CB000005DC-107_468x276.jpg

article-1162439-03EDF9DB000005DC-637_468x315.jpg

GPS however is useless when you are buried in snow. Not to mention they will not work at such heights due to the extreme cold.

Not flying but what PatiK described :

That is a Fr corp development for our DGA's Hercule program.
If you then decouple the flying part, you get these aerial logistics
drones to "feed" ( batteries will be at a premium for ex. ) those fast moving cyborgs.
AirMule is the most known. The AirMule Drone Hauls 1,000 Pounds and Looks Like a Bug | WIRED

Or you go a bit crazy like this that's been evaluated for our SFs :

I don't think that buggy is rated anywhere near 8 000 m though ... Tay.

with speed of 60km/h wow , can we replace C130 or for that matter MI17 with this jackpot I mean jetpack ? :D

Suites that help you against an Avalanche is already available in the market.

article-1162439-03EDF9CB000005DC-107_468x276.jpg

article-1162439-03EDF9DB000005DC-637_468x315.jpg

GPS however is useless when you are buried in snow. Not to mention they will not work at such heights due to the extreme cold.

This is protective gear for skiers to avoid head injury but the avalanche that hit our army man hit the whole camp with 30 feet snow, who most of them would in the wind shield tent at that time.

Rule of thumb, respect Nature, and give path to the Bigger ones instead of facing.

This is protective gear for skiers to avoid head injury but the avalanche that hit our army man hit the whole camp with 30 feet snow, who most of them would in the wind shield tent at that time.

Rule of thumb, respect Nature, and give path to the Bigger ones instead of facing.

That may be the crux of the lesson here :
Much respect for armed forces operating on top of the world from Pak to India, China or Nepal.
They train and work in one of the most unforgiving environments on the planet and it comes
with high risk at all times and thus occasionally, a unavoidable loss! yet they do it day in day out!

Respect to them and forget the gimmicks, Tay.

That may be the crux of the lesson here :
Much respect for armed forces operating on top of the world from Pak to India, China or Nepal.
They train and work in one of the most unforgiving environments on the planet and it comes
with high risk at all times and thus occasionally, a unavoidable loss! yet they do it day in day out!

Respect to them and forget the gimmicks, Tay.

The loss in Indian side have been brought from 100 per year to 10, with better gears, tents, equipment's but what is needed is not only DRDO to create such gears, Special nutrition, equipment, tents, clothing or the Special mountaineering skill development prior to the deployment but a specialized institution to study these natural calamities, and provide tactics to avoid standing in the path of such nature.

When I was in Srinagar, Badami Bagh Cantonment, the supplies going to Siachin via Cheetak Helli were Cadbury's Choclate LOLZ, because your hunger dies, and the soldier looses 15 kg of wt in 6 month deployment, and the one who was deployed says the most difficult challenge is when you Shit, because other person have to stand with the boil water, and everything is frozen except RUM and Kerosene, and you need hammer to break an Egg. Touching any metal means your skin gone, and nature is the most difficult enemy because the air taken by the lungs contains water vapour could froze in lungs -- the most cause of the death. INSAS Riffle works well, but need to kept warm.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom