What's new

Jet Engine Technology a Top Priority in India-US Talks

Rangila

Reaction score
Country
Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic Of
Jet Engine Technology a Top Priority in India-US Talks

tempo12.png

NEW DELHI — US cooperation in engine technology was a top issue for Indian Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar when he met US Defense Secretary Ash Carter Wednesday and Thursday in Washington, said an Indian Defence Ministry source.

India needs engine technology for its proposed homegrown advanced medium combat aircraft (AMCA), which is still on the drawing board. Availability of a higher thrust advanced engine would kick-start the AMCA program, under which India proposes to build medium combat aircraft similar to the Rafale, which it is buying from France, said a senior scientist of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), which is developing AMCA.

Another priority is cooperation on development of an electro-magnetic aircraft launch system (EMALS) for the proposed Indigenous aircraft carrier INS Vishal, the MoD source added.

India and the US are already discussing cooperation in jet engine EMALS system for the carrier under the India-US Defense Technology and Trade Initiative (DTTI), a forum set by the two countries to identify defense projects that could be taken up under joint development.

The DTTI forum officials in three of their meetings have discussed the possibility of cooperation in jet engine technology, the MoD source added.

Another joint working group under DTTI is discussing the possibility of cooperation in aircraft carrier technology and has held four rounds of meetings, the source added.

The US has already offered India an EMALS for the deck of its proposed homegrown carrier, capable of launching fifth generation fighter aircraft and airborne early warning aircraft.

Currently Indian aircraft carriers have ski jump assisted take-off systems.

India, Russia and China operate carriers using the less advanced short take-off launch system. With an EMALS-equipped launch system, India's naval strike fighters would encounter less strain on their airframes and be able to conduct sorties faster.

However, analysts are not sure if joint cooperation in high-tech projects between India and US can take off in the near future.

"It is too early to expect co-development and co-production of advanced weapons systems and the two countries will have to begin with low end weapon technologies to learn how the DTTI will work on the ground,"
said Nitin Mehta, a defense analyst here.

US updates jet-engine technology transfer policy with India - The Economic Times

The United States has updated its policy on gas-turbine engine technology transfer to India, a move that should lead to expanded cooperation in production and design of jet-engine components, a joint statement said on Thursday.

"As a result of this policy update, the Secretary is confident that the United States will be able to expand cooperation in production and design of jet-engine components," the joint statement said.

Last edited:
India has the potential to develop engine within itself without any cooperation from outside but.........

i would prefer such a tech to be built at home, if we can make sophisticated ram jets and ballistic missiles, why cant we make an engine with more thrust???Kaveri engine will be used as level 1 from where they can make it even better.....our country does not want to spend on material technology but these small topics can make or break an engine..

The critical point here is the material technology.. Remember, Tejas program have not experience a single crash.. Guess why, a very reliable Engine (though under powered). Also the life of US Aero engines is quite good compared to Russian.. Cant say about Eurojet and Snecma..

India has the potential to develop engine within itself without any cooperation from outside but.........

Are @locker bhaiya namaskar.

Pl enlight us on this matter as well like you had done on the issue of nuclear potential of india. I am eagerly awaiting.

The critical point here is the material technology.. Remember, Tejas program have not experience a single crash.. Guess why, a very reliable Engine (though under powered). Also the life of US Aero engines is quite good compared to Russian.. Cant say about Eurojet and Snecma..

Euro jet and Snacma are equally well.

Single crystal blade technology is very crusual. We should be able to operat the engine at 30:1 compression ratio like GE 414. Kaveri fall short here. Though kaveri develop sufficient dry power , it falls short in after burner power.

Are @locker bhaiya namaskar.

Pl enlight us on this matter as well like you had done on the issue of nuclear potential of india. I am eagerly awaiting.

Euro jet and Snacma are equally well.
Hi friend,
The crux of the matter was/is and will be crystal blade technology which could be researched and then developed but lot of complications still remain in the process. IIT have the talent and can develop such a propulsion but we need to help them and that vigour of co-operation has been pumped by new government in the years to come I am sure you will see Indian aero engine with the help of IITs apart from G 10 engine which will developed with collaboration. The work for indigenous development of aero engine has been started but it is in nascent syage. The benches in IITs have been developed and now all the technologies necessary for AMCA are being developed with the help of IITs like GaN AESA. We just need to have patience rather than bad nothing the organizations which I see here.
Actually I can't discuss some stuff here, so sorry my friend. I am working on solid fuels with fellow compatriots which are necessary for future range of missiles.

Hi friend,
The crux of the matter was/is and will be crystal blade technology which could be researched and then developed but lot of complications still remain in the process. IIT have the talent and can develop such a propulsion but we need to help them and that vigour of co-operation has been pumped by new government in the years to come I am sure you will see Indian aero engine with the help of IITs apart from G 10 engine which will developed with collaboration. The work for indigenous development of aero engine has been started but it is in nascent syage. The benches in IITs have been developed and now all the technologies necessary for AMCA are being developed with the help of IITs like GaN AESA. We just need to have patience rather than bad nothing the organizations which I see here.
Actually I can't discuss some stuff here, so sorry my friend. I am working on solid fuels with fellow compatriots which are necessary for future range of missiles.

Thank you very much.

Saurav Jha had posted one picture of A single crystal blade which he said is better than the one used in Su 30 engine. Has this been tru, i think we are not far away from making an operational aero engine.
Actually i am beat bothered if they are a bit heavy weight. It should be able to produce sufficient power that is all.

What is the news from Nuclear front. tell us something about the big bombs.

Single crystal blade technology is very crusual. We should be able to operat the engine at 30:1 compression ratio like GE 414. Kaveri fall short here. Though kaveri develop sufficient dry power , it falls short in after burner power.
Exactly the point..

A single crystal blade which he said is better than the one used in Su 30 engine. Has this been tru, i think we are not far away from making an operational aero engine.

SCB is just a single component of a fighter's engine that is limited to its fan blades in a big way. This tech works best against high temperatures that hamper stress efficiency management of a turbine blades and helps in a creep factor = crashworthiness = survivable mishap.

The higher the inlet air temperature, the higher the engine efficiency. This is the constant for a turbine engine industry = Golden rule. Therefore the temperature is the crucial part of a jet engine dynamics that has to be surmounted. And SCB enhances such environment of a jet engine in a positive manner.

However, this does not mean if you master the SCB technology you can master the whole engine, just as entering a church wont make you a Christian or visiting a garage does not make you a mechanic. A jet engine has around 25 K parts and its very complex technology privy to only few nations who don't want to part away with it. India & China both are struggling against the same.

The expanse of material science is unlimited, as every sunshine brings out new thoughts which are refined into scientific principles & translated into copyrights & patents day in and day out.

So above is your misconception.
Love me or leave me.

Giving jet engine technology to india would be a total waste. They will treat the ferrari as a lawn mower !!

Giving jet engine technology to india would be a total waste. They will treat the ferrari as a lawn mower !!
US will not give high end technology to India. Dont worry. It is only the Indian fanboy wishful thinking. This aggreement is merely talking about letting India do the assembly of the jet engine. They will hardly learn any high end stuff from this agreement.

we have to pay for it until we make our own...

US will not give high end technology to India. Dont worry. It is only the Indian fanboy wishful thinking. This aggreement is merely talking about letting India do the assembly of the jet engine. They will hardly learn any high end stuff from this agreement.
you yourself need a russian engine for your fighters, so you are also in the same league......we can also do reverse engineering of whatever we get, but that way no one will give us anything in future......

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom