What's new

Jayalalithaa to boycott Modi's swearing-in ceremony: TV reports

Sri Lankan system looks hybrid of parliamentary and Presidential and both PM and Presidents directly elected seems too much powerful. What if President and Prime Minister belongs to different parties.

Very similar to the French system

The predicament the country is in atm is that the president has too much power..And is virtually unaccountable to the legislature in the case of the Parliament.. The PM under the ill gotten 18th amendment is made in to nothing but a namesake with no authority..

There is a progressive movement going on within the opposition and certain sections of the govt itself on possibilities of doing away with the executive.. But it's a uphill task.. Nobody is willing to give away that much of power once they get elected.. Even MaRa (Mahinda Rajapaksa) election mandate was to remove the executive presidency, So was the previous one Kumaratunga's.. They never did it and on the contrary strengthened it's hold

Another aspect of it is that there is a wide belief that the reason that the country was able to fight and save it's sovereignty is due to the constitutional powers of the president.. There is a valid point there, Especially while the civil war was going on, Even now the selling point is the concerted effort of certain Western forces of trying to impinge on the sovereignty and territorial integrity of the country through pseudo human right campaigns

As for the second point.. There was precedent when the executive and the legislature came from different parties under the Ranil Wickramasinghe govt, When Kumaratunga was in her last years as the executive.. Led to disaster by the president undermining the govt that led to it's fall, Wickramasighes neo liberalism and bending over back wards to please the LTTE that made the opportunity to rearm and gain much influence under the Norwegians did'nt help the govt either.. The masses just turned away from it and kicked them out of power, That was the catalyst for the destruction of the LTTE by the Rajapaksa regime who had the full backing of the public to go to the end irrespective of the methods used or the consequences after

Sri Lankan system looks hybrid of parliamentary and Presidential and both PM and Presidents directly elected seems too much powerful. What if President and Prime Minister belongs to different parties.

Once we had president from one party and PM and gover from the other party. From 2001-2002. That was a fun time. The executive and parliament fighting over every little thing.

@Gibbs,

I dont support removing EP. It is a risky step at this moment. But i want the independant police commissions and the judicial commission were implemented. Also removing 18th. UNP should target that instread of hanging on to EP. UNP has NO commonsense. This is a moment we should get rid of MR. But UNP makes it extremely difficult to get MR out.

@Gibbs,

I dont support removing EP. It is a risky step at this moment. But i want the independant police commissions and the judicial commission were implemented. Also removing 18th. UNP should target that instread of hanging on to EP. UNP has NO commonsense. This is a moment we should get rid of MR. But UNP makes it extremely difficult to get MR out.

Neither do i mate.. But there needs to be serious curbs on it's powers.. UNP is a dead horse just like it's lame leader.. There needs to be a third front preferably with enough power to become the proper opposition

Neither do i mate.. But there needs to be serious curbs on it's powers.. UNP is a dead horse just like it's lame leader.. There needs to be a third front preferably with enough power to become the proper opposition

It is the govern that has done spreading and planted this idea in people's mind. UNP is not a dead horse and so is Ranil. At this moment given our deteriorating foreign affairs and our need to patch up with the US, ranil is the best bid. SL need a person of Kadiragamar type. MR has lost credibility in the eyes of international community, india and US particularly. we have to win back the credibility and trust. We cant do that with MR. the only one who can even to an extent fill Kadiragamar's place is Ranil. The warfare we are facing at the moment is in the foreign affairs and in propaganda and in media.
In the eyes of international media MR is a villain, Ranil is considered in total different way. Ranil commands the respect of west, which MR doesnt. Having Ranil at the top could ease out many differences with the west. Muslims like ranil as well.

And he is good in economics as well.

This so called third front, is a failure. What can sobitha monk or CBK or anyone else do. My point is all this is a time waste. CBK or sobhitha monk would not ge votes as Ranil gets. The best horse for the race against MR is Ranil. People blame ranil for UNP's defeats. But the real reason for UNP's defeats is not only Ranil. replacing ranil wont do change anything.

Instead of wasting time on finding a common candidate, UNP, JVP, SF should rally behind Ranil. Market ranil from today itself. MR always start propaganda before the other one. Ranil should do it.

MR has no credibility, any sensible person would not believe what this man says. we need a man that can command respect. Ranil is not 100% perfect for the occasion. but he is the only thing at our hands.
@Gibbs

EP should be removed with the present election system. We should implement the mixed system with the ebolishment of the EP to ensure formation of stable governments.

I do not have any faith in so called independent commissions because no one is independent. We have to consider the fact that what will happen if western puppet got to be the head of a so called independent commissions. Then we would be controlled by people we cannot even choose to control.

EP should be removed with the present election system. We should implement the mixed system with the ebolishment of the EP to ensure formation of stable governments.

I do not have any faith in so called independent commissions because no one is independent. We have to consider the fact that what will happen if western puppet got to be the head of a so called independent commissions. Then we would be controlled by people we cannot even choose to control.

Talk about this in elakiri.....this is not the platform.tonight

Once we had president from one party and PM and gover from the other party. From 2001-2002. That was a fun time. The executive and parliament fighting over every little thing.

@Gibbs,

RW is not electable machun.. Man is passed his sell by date.. And you cant solely blame the govt for this, He himself is to be blamed, Totally oblivious to the ground reality of the masses, The UNP cannot rely on minority votes alone to regain power and they have totaly eroded thier vote base among Sinhalese due to thier own short sighted politics

And while he shouts about democracy he himself is a dictator holding on to power within the party

All his diplomatic and economic acumen is good but useless if the man cannot be elected

RW is not electable machun.. Man is passed his sell by date.. And you cant solely blame the govt for this, He himself is to be blamed, Totally oblivious to the ground reality of the masses, The UNP cannot rely on minority votes alone to regain power and they have totaly eroded thier vote base among Sinhalese due to thier own short sighted politics

And while he shouts about democracy he himself is a dictator holding on to power within the party

All his diplomatic and economic acumen is good but useless if the man cannot be elected

If you ask about the opinion from sinhala masses, even an MR supporter would say the best they would go for in opposition is RW and not CBK or a monk. Obviously RW has weaknesses like less active in ground level.

But others in UNP can do that job. Others can go to the vilage and canvass for him. He cant speak and do propaganda, but if his ideas about a certian issue is worthwhile and i ve seen MR supporters too acknowledging that.

The one who is eroding his vote base is Mangala who should be kicked out.

Among the so called common candidate, only ranil can get most vote. If the common candidate is the monk or CBK, even i would have questions about my vote. There are many like that. RW has what SL needs now.

At this moment given our deteriorating foreign affairs and our need to patch up with the US, ranil is the best bid.

Are you implying that there are no other people in SL except for RW that can strengthen the bonds between SL and USA? If so RW dies suddenly SL would have never make any head way with US.

The above comment of yours is what RW fanboys propagate every time but it has no weight. RW is just a one politician US has influenced over. But that does not make him a good statesman. RW has never shown he is a real politician.

In the eyes of international media MR is a villain, Ranil is considered in total different way. Ranil commands the respect of west, which MR doesnt. Having Ranil at the top could ease out many differences with the west. Muslims like ranil as well.

Well that is RW do what ever west says. Do we need a such a yes man? Real leader should have a vision and a personality which unfortunately RW do not have.

And he is good in economics as well.

Another fanboy point. Ranil was no better running this country thjan MR.

Are you implying that there are no other people in SL except for RW that can strengthen the bonds between SL and USA? If so RW dies suddenly SL would have never make any head way with US.
Yes SL has not made any headway with US. Read news. Last time US brought 3 resolutions against us, brought war crime charges and even went too down to the extent of US embassy posting aggressively in twitter against SL gov.
The reason is your joker Wimal W staged protests in front of US embassy and they countered it with a twitter post after which gover had to withdraw its Charlie chapman force aka wimal.
The above comment of yours is what RW fanboys propagate every time but it has no weight. RW is just a one politician US has influenced over. But that does not make him a good statesman. RW has never shown he is a real politician.
Are we having a good statesman now? US can influence not only RW but MR as well. This notion that RW is a pet of west and MR isn’t is a stupid one. If US cares only about influence in SL MR would have served SL on a platter. Go and read what MR’s economic bluff master Cabraal writes in US magazines which US doesn’t even consider for a cent.
What RW has and what MR hasn’t is, CREDIBILITY. MR is considered as a lieing, hypocritical, idiot who never does what he promises with good reasons. He has already destroyed himself in the eyes of the sensible people. I can understand your failure to grasp that, as I mean only ‘sensible’ people.
I think RW has shown he is a good politician by showing how he has evaded every attempt to remove him from UNP rivals. And still have majority of allegiance for himself.
Well that is RW do what ever west says. Do we need a such a yes man? Real leader should have a vision and a personality which unfortunately RW do not have.
RW doesn’t do what west says. But SL as small country with a weak economy (which politicians you voted for have weakened) would have to listen to US. Whether we like it of not US will have a clout on us. We are not china, to hit at US. (even china cant).
This is not about listening what US says, this is about winning US over separatists.
So what is the vision for SL for the man in power now? Are you happy with it? Are you happy with the way he runs the country? All the hundreds of white elephants just to boost one man’s ego.
Another fanboy point. Ranil was no better running this country thjan MR.
Ranil ran just 1 and half years. It was during that period SL’s NEGATIVE GROWTH RATE during CBK’s time was reversed. Read stats and news. In all of history of SL UNP periods have always been the periods of economic growth and SLFP = Economic failure.
MR is an idiot. That is why he ousted CJ illegally, arrested SF, and didn’t implement 13A at first. These are significant and the most damaging actions by MR to the country and to him. Ranil wont be such an idiot. He is responsive to what the larger world says.
And did you read what PB Jayasundara say regarding economic status in the country and about what your joker wimal? Read it then hopefully you will get some understanding of the reality.
Regarding fan boy. I acknowledge and accept both the strengths and weakpoints in all the politicians including ranil. Why I said ranil is good is considering the current status of the country. Fanboys are the ones who hang on to politicians BLINDLY without realizing both merits and demerits.
But I don’t expect you to understand what I say. Your analysis and position regarding 13 A clearly showed what sort of a mega level idiot you are. Gunadasa Amarasekara, and that JHU ppl are all idiots including you.

Yes SL has not made any headway with US. Read news. Last time US brought 3 resolutions against us, brought war crime charges and even went too down to the extent of US embassy posting aggressively in twitter against SL gov.

Yes SL has not made mush headway with US. That is because SL is not working according to the US interests. If we had done what US considered right then we would have been a close ally of US. But what good will it be that we work to realize US aspiration while totally forgetting and neglecting our own aspirations? Do you want a country like that in the guise US friendly?

Are we having a good statesman now? US can influence not only RW but MR as well.

Yes they can. That is why we have to stay vigilant. But so far MR has not shown that he has being influenced by US because US is still against us as you say. Which is why MR is better that RW.

This notion that RW is a pet of west and MR isn’t is a stupid one. If US cares only about influence in SL MR would have served SL on a platter. Go and read what MR’s economic bluff master Cabraal writes in US magazines which US doesn’t even consider for a cent.

That is actually shows US interests are not fulfilled in SL yet. A plus point for MR.

What RW has and what MR hasn’t is, CREDIBILITY. MR is considered as a lieing, hypocritical, idiot who never does what he promises with good reasons.

This is a pretty hilarious comment. RW has a credibility. In which way he has credibility? Has RW done what he said? He is just a politician like MR. The greatest example of himself is his two year tenure as PM. If he had done has he said he wouldn't had lost the election.

At least MR has ended the war as he promised respectively. Appreciate that for a change.

I think RW has shown he is a good politician by showing how he has evaded every attempt to remove him from UNP rivals. And still have majority of allegiance for himself.

We can safely assume by his doings as a leader of the UNP, how would he handle the presidency if he would ever become one.

RW openly preaches democracy for masses and project himself as the forerunner of Sri Lankan democracy but does not allow any democracy under his authority in his party. Why this double standard?

RW doesn’t do what west says. But SL as small country with a weak economy (which politicians you voted for have weakened) would have to listen to US. Whether we like it of not US will have a clout on us. We are not china, to hit at US. (even china cant).

Well then why doesn't he listen to India. India has much bigger clout over SL than US. RW has never done as India said. If he listened to India we could have guessed his theory but why the hell he listens to a country far far away as such.

This is not about listening what US says, this is about winning US over separatists.

We cannot win US against separatists as US has already decided which side they want. That is what we need to realize. US will not stop until they have achieved their objectives in SL.

So what is the vision for SL for the man in power now? Are you happy with it? Are you happy with the way he runs the country? All the hundreds of white elephants just to boost one man’s ego.

No. I'm not happy with how he runs this country. But he is the best option we have at this movement.

Ranil ran just 1 and half years. It was during that period SL’s NEGATIVE GROWTH RATE during CBK’s time was reversed. Read stats and news.

Making negative growth rate positive is not an achievement. It occurs naturally when suitable conditions are created. 2001 government change brought that conditions. It was not an achievement of RW.

And did you read what PB Jayasundara say regarding economic status in the country and about what your joker wimal? Read it then hopefully you will get some understanding of the reality.

Yeah I have read it and which is why I stand with Wiamal's stance.

But I don’t expect you to understand what I say. Your analysis and position regarding 13 A clearly showed what sort of a mega level idiot you are. Gunadasa Amarasekara, and that JHU ppl are all idiots including you.

Well you never pointed out the errors in my comment. I would happy to know why you call me mega idiot for my opinion.

And SL needs mega idiots like us too or else it will be boring.

Yes SL has not made mush headway with US. That is because SL is not working according to the US interests. If we had done what US considered right then we would have been a close ally of US. But what good will it be that we work to realize US aspiration while totally forgetting and neglecting our own aspirations? Do you want a country like that in the guise US friendly?
What are the US interests in SL? Not much. If US is intimidating SL gover that is not because of any US interests. If there were any US intrests in SL, MR and the gang would have given SL to US on a platter. The only reason he doesn’t is, US doesn’t ask for that.
Believe me if US wants an army base in SL and say they will not care for human rights violations in SL, MR would have NO problem with that.
What are our own aspirations? What sort of a country do you like? An economic disaster? A country where there is no rule of law? A country where politicians in govern can loot at their will and kill others at their will? Is that the country you want? I don’t want such a country.
US consider civil liberties and democracy as valued American ideas. That is why SL has lost support of US. Because these things in SL, democracy, civil liberties like freedom of speech and judiciary independence are subject to attack from govern and its politicians.
Having a proper judiciary, running a proper economy free of political nincompoops and rule of law are good things for us as a country and its citizens. They are not US interests.
Yes they can. That is why we have to stay vigilant. But so far MR has not shown that he has being influenced by US because US is still against us as you say. Which is why MR is better that RW.
Staying vigilant like what? MR is influenced by US when US brings anti Lankan resolutions and MR has no clout and relationship in US to deal with that. Having RW is not about letting US influencing us but making US policies on SL influenced by us in Sri Lanka. In this day as MR has lost all credibility among Americans, MR has no clout. The separatists using lobby groups are ahead of gov in influencing US.
The reason the separatists are capable of using US against us is because MR has lost the US help. MR is hoping for republicans to do well in US next election which is not fruitful. Most likely Hilary could come after Obama. We need a man who is good with US. And MR is hardly that man and ranil is the only option.
That is actually shows US interests are not fulfilled in SL yet. A plus point for MR.
I know your comprehension skills are negligible. But I will try once again the reason Cabraal writes to Times and American magazines highlighting SL’s significance to US is to make US known in possible US interests here. And hoping that catering to those US interests MR can win back US. That is why Cabraal writes them and it is done by MR. The reason US still doesn’t come is because they do not care for a cent what MR says.
That is not something to be proud of but only a failure from MR’s side and total lack of understanding of the true nature of issues.
What are the US interests in SL?
This is a pretty hilarious comment. RW has a credibility. In which way he has credibility? Has RW done what he said? He is just a politician like MR. The greatest example of himself is his two year tenure as PM. If he had done has he said he wouldn't had lost the election.
Did you check on the economic data? Ranil’s period was instrumental in saving SL economy even to a small extent from the disastrous CBK period.
Do you at least know that when Ranil came to power we had a NEGATIVE growth rate?
The reason Ranil lost was not because of economics but his meek response to LTTE killings and Buddhist nationalism increased due to Soma thera’s death. Economic decisions and its impact during ranil’s time have been discussed by proper economists unlike idiots like you.
The credibility Ranil has is he is responsive to what others think and sensible people think judiciary independence, good economic decisions will come from Ranil which is the opposite of MR.
To make it more simple to you to understand, if MR says he will protect judicial independence and give power devolution. But NO one with a sensible mind will trust MR. why? Because he has broken the trust. Ranil hasn’t.
At least MR has ended the war as he promised respectively. Appreciate that for a change.
We didn’t end the war to stop bombs in Colombo (succumbing to LTTE would done that as well), we end it to unite SL. If MR is not doing that his job is half done. So you want us to ignore the destruction of the country because MR stopped war? It is like someone saves your mother from a rape and to be grateful for that you let that man to rape her.
I am not an idiot like you.
We can safely assume by his doings as a leader of the UNP, how would he handle the presidency if he would ever become one.
RW openly preaches democracy for masses and project himself as the forerunner of Sri Lankan democracy but does not allow any democracy under his authority in his party. Why this double standard?
The leadership in unp is elected democratically. Sajith or any other do not has support inside UNP as for Ranil. That is the first thing. Also UNP has no judiciary system or any measures. But presidency in SL is a different one.
Ranil is responsive to the demands and concerns of intellectuals in this country. A stupid act like impeaching CJ, arresting political rivals and anti democratic actions cannot be expected from Ranil. Because he fears any retribution for any of such acts unlike MR.
So if you have problems with dictatorships and lack of democracy why do you support MR? You can’t support MR and talk about democracy.
Well then why doesn't he listen to India. India has much bigger clout over SL than US. RW has never done as India said. If he listened to India we could have guessed his theory but why the hell he listens to a country far far away as such.
Number one India didn’t bring resolutions against us.
India is not the market for our products but US and Europe is.
That is why even last week Cabraal went to UK asking for investments. India is on our side, US is not.
And if you believe MR doesn’t listen to India you are an idiot. NPC elections are a result of india pressurizing SL gov and just today MR released the arrested 29 fishermen even before indian gov ask for that.
We cannot win US against separatists as US has already decided which side they want. That is what we need to realize. US will not stop until they have achieved their objectives in SL.
What are the objectives of US in SL? Then why did US help SL during the war? What changed it? The biggest reason is MR’s anti democratic rule and attack on civil institutions like judiciary. And of course MR’s broken promise on power devolution.
So you want US weight behind separatists? That is why people with small brains like you should be kept far off from Lankan politics.
No. I'm not happy with how he runs this country. But he is the best option we have at this movement.
Why? What makes him the best? With his stupid economic policies this country will go down further and we will weaken more. A weak country can’t stand for itself. We need to kick him out and have a sane leader.
In what way is he good for SL?
Making negative growth rate positive is not an achievement. It occurs naturally when suitable conditions are created. 2001 government change brought that conditions. It was not an achievement of RW.
Who creates suitable conditions? And who ran the 2001 government? Isnt it Ranil. Be more gracious when recognizing a man’s achievement. And if that occurs naturally why didn’t such a thing occur before Ranil come to power.
There is a truth that idiots like you cannot handle. When it comes to economics Ranil has performed well when the idiots whom you voted for sucked at it.
Yeah I have read it and which is why I stand with Wiamal's stance.
You can stand at whatever stand. If Wimal is right and PB is wrong why doesn’t this gover sack PB? Because PB is right and this gover has no savior other than PB! Wimal is an irrational idiot like you who would fit only to be a coconut plucker.
Well you never pointed out the errors in my comment. I would happy to know why you call me mega idiot for my opinion.
I pointed out the errors and my points are visible in the practical world. That is government implementing the 13 A. You can drag a buffalo to a pond but you can’t make it drink water.
And SL needs mega idiots like us too or else it will be boring.
It has exceeded the level of boredom now in the brink of destruction.

What are the US interests in SL? Not much. If US is intimidating SL gover that is not because of any US interests. If there were any US intrests in SL, MR and the gang would have given SL to US on a platter. The only reason he doesn’t is, US doesn’t ask for that.
Believe me if US wants an army base in SL and say they will not care for human rights violations in SL, MR would have NO problem with that.

Don't just think US needs an army base in SL. Their interests in the region is much wider and strategic which catering to their demands. If US has no interest on Sri Lanka they wouldn't have bothered about our issues. Just think how many are killed in countries around the globe, does US care about those? You talk like a teenager. I did not expect that from you.

What are our own aspirations? What sort of a country do you like? An economic disaster? A country where there is no rule of law? A country where politicians in govern can loot at their will and kill others at their will? Is that the country you want? I don’t want such a country.

That does not mean we have to succumb to any other country for support. If we have problems we will sort it out here. There are answers to every problem, the only thing is that we have to seek the answer.

Yeah like you I want a democratic, free and phosphorous country but I do not believe that we can create such a country by following any other country's example or by only taking their advice. Our country is unique as the rest of the countries of the world. We have to figure out what is the best for our country and what is not. No outsider to our society can tell us what we need best.

US consider civil liberties and democracy as valued American ideas. That is why SL has lost support of US. Because these things in SL, democracy, civil liberties like freedom of speech and judiciary independence are subject to attack from govern and its politicians.

US values highly on civil liberties and democracy. But that is only for their country. They do not give damn about civil liberties and democracy of other countries. I do not think I need to give examples. I believe that you know about it very well.

Staying vigilant like what? MR is influenced by US when US brings anti Lankan resolutions and MR has no clout and relationship in US to deal with that.

So has he succumb to the US demands? Have he done as what they say? That is why we need to stay vigilant.

Having RW is not about letting US influencing us but making US policies on SL influenced by us in Sri Lanka.

There are nothing good with US policies towards us. It is better that we stay out of it.

In this day as MR has lost all credibility among Americans, MR has no clout. The separatists using lobby groups are ahead of gov in influencing US.
The reason the separatists are capable of using US against us is because MR has lost the US help. MR is hoping for republicans to do well in US next election which is not fruitful. Most likely Hilary could come after Obama. We need a man who is good with US. And MR is hardly that man and ranil is the only option.

MR never had any affection from USA. Even before the war when MR was contesting for presidential elections US took the side of RW. So it is obvious that US to go against MR. So do we need to choose our leaders according to US requirements? Why not welcome the US ambassador to run our country?

The reason US still doesn’t come is because they do not care for a cent what MR says.
That is not something to be proud of but only a failure from MR’s side and total lack of understanding of the true nature of issues.

What do you think if RW won against MR, would US ditch every thing they have done and stand behind SL thus isolating the lobby groups? I think that you do not understand the true nature of the issues.

What are the US interests in SL?

I can sum up as "ranging from natural resources like water to strategic issues like our position in the IOR."

Do you at least know that when Ranil came to power we had a NEGATIVE growth rate?

Yes I know.

The reason Ranil lost was not because of economics but his meek response to LTTE killings and Buddhist nationalism increased due to Soma thera’s death. Economic decisions and its impact during ranil’s time have been discussed by proper economists unlike idiots like you.

The reasons for Ranils failure can be mainly attributed to the failed peace process. But his economic policies such as scaling down the public sector, whole sale privatization of public institutions and reduction in welfare spending resulted also in his downfall. Any sane politician who has lived among people would not have committed such grave mistakes.

The credibility Ranil has is he is responsive to what others think and sensible people think judiciary independence, good economic decisions will come from Ranil which is the opposite of MR.

If RW is responsive to what others think he should have given up his leadership years ago. The same issue shows how irresponsible he is to others until he get what he wants. Do you really vote for such a person?

We didn’t end the war to stop bombs in Colombo (succumbing to LTTE would done that as well), we end it to unite SL.

Ending the war is the first step towards the unity. If we hadn't won the war or continue fighting we would have never achieve unity. Do you understand that?

If MR is not doing that his job is half done.

At least he did what he said. Ending the war. Hasn't he?

The leadership in unp is elected democratically. Sajith or any other do not has support inside UNP as for Ranil. That is the first thing. Also UNP has no judiciary system or any measures. But presidency in SL is a different one.

Yeah right. RW is elected democratically is due to the fact UNP working committee is full of his henchmen. If RW has gone for a open election among his party membership RW would be defeated.

The saying goes that man is measured by his doing. Be that he is a beggar or a king.

Ranil is responsive to the demands and concerns of intellectuals in this country. A stupid act like impeaching CJ, arresting political rivals and anti democratic actions cannot be expected from Ranil. Because he fears any retribution for any of such acts unlike MR.

Who says that a leader of a country should listen to the demands and concerns of intellectuals in this country? That is not democracy. The leader of the country should listen to the demands and concerns of the majority of the general public even though they are wrong. That is the democracy.

The duty of the intellectuals are to convince the general public about what is wrong and what is right. Even though the leader of the country could ask for the assistance of intellectuals in running the country. But even then the leader is responsible for what he do and in the end he should face the verdict of the public whether the public is right or wrong.

Are you implying that CJ or political rivals of MR is above the law just because they are CJ or political rivals of MR? If any one has broken the law they have to face the consequences.

So if you have problems with dictatorships and lack of democracy why do you support MR? You can’t support MR and talk about democracy.

I do not have faith in full democracy as some portray. No country in this world is not 100% democratic. I just support MR because he try to protect the national interests of SL. Any other major political leader in SL has shown any indication that they do that up to now. Many leaders like RW are actually afraid of the idea of protecting or safeguarding national interests of SL.

Number one India didn’t bring resolutions against us.
India is not the market for our products but US and Europe is.

Indian sent 100,000 strong army by force. They made us agree to a resolution by force. They invaded our airspace with active provocation. Does it any less dangerous than not bringing up resolutions.

As he uncle RW is believing in US that US will come to our aid when we are in trouble by siding with US. But as we have seen 1980s US didn't even give damn about us.

And why RW still cling on to a markets that has economically fallen down. Why has not RW made any progressive headway with emerging economic giants such as India and China? Do you want us to sell tea and apparels to EU/US every day?

India is on our side, US is not.

Well China is. Russia is. And India too is in our side. So why do we need US?

What are the objectives of US in SL? Then why did US help SL during the war? What changed it?

The supportive US stance during the war was due to US Secretary of state Condoleezza Rice. She influenced US policy makers to be on softer policy for SL.

The biggest reason is MR’s anti democratic rule and attack on civil institutions like judiciary. And of course MR’s broken promise on power devolution.

US opposed us in 2009. Does that due to MR’s anti democratic rule and attack on civil institutions like judiciary? or his broken promise on power devolution?

So you want US weight behind separatists? That is why people with small brains like you should be kept far off from Lankan politics.

If US wants to weight behind separatists let them do it. We could have the strength to live through the consequences because we are a sovereign nation. I do not know about you but any free and sovereign person might understand what I said.

Who creates suitable conditions? And who ran the 2001 government? Isnt it Ranil. Be more gracious when recognizing a man’s achievement.

No one created the suitable conditions. With the formation of UNF government the conditions were naturally made. It wasn't a genius of RW. Even if UNP contested under a scarecrow SL economy would have become plus value. That is economics not politics.

And if that occurs naturally why didn’t such a thing occur before Ranil come to power.

It was due to the fact that until the attack on Katunayake airport SL economy was at plus level. Once it was attacked it went to the minus figure. That was because the international embargo on travel to SL, reluctance of international insurances companies to insure logistics to SL, the crash of the stock market and lack of investors' will to invest in SL.

Don't just think US needs an army base in SL. Their interests in the region is much wider and strategic which catering to their demands. If US has no interest on Sri Lanka they wouldn't have bothered about our issues. Just think how many are killed in countries around the globe, does US care about those? You talk like a teenager. I did not expect that from you.
By mentioning army base, I gave you an example. If the US meddling into SL is only about US interests, MR would have catered to those interests and avoids US’s bad influence. When I mentioned about Cabraal and writing to top US magazines, I meant MR tried to serve US interests and get their support. It did not work that way that’s why. And that MR doesn’t toe US’s line and that is why we are being pressured is a false one. There are other facts as well.
The notion that US have interests in SL is over estimated. There are some interests but not the SOLE thing that influence US-SL relationship. The strategic partner of US in Asia is India on this side and Japan in the other side. They don’t need SL. That is why US is not giving any carrot to SL.
Yes many are killed around the world and US consider them as HR violations and work against them if they do not affect US interests. SL case is such case. US doesn’t have any big interests here and thy do not need to tolerate SL leaders. That is why they do not care what MR or Cabraal says. Some idiots in SL place SL’s strategic value far high. That leads to wrong calculations, which is what we see now happening.
Then what is the reason US pressurize SL? The obvious anti-democratic practices and gover’s don’t care attitude towards minorities. This is ONE reason. US will ignore them if SL serves any interests to them as they do with countries with far worse HR like KSA. The point is strategic interests is NOT a big thing in SL-US relations.
The second issue is Separatist lobbies in west have invested in American politicians. They have lobby groups. As US have no interests in SL to listen to SL leaders, the lobbying of S works. MR has already ruined relationship with US diplomats like Robert Blake and the current one. There are personal problems between MR and Blake. The one who pay for MR’s egoistic handling of American officials is the country as a whole. And among the S lobbying they have invested a lot in Hilary. Remember them collecting funds for Hilary for her election campaign. These things’ results surface now. The result is SL leaders have NO say in US policing regarding SL while S(seperatists) has.
And the other in media war, MR has lost. Western media are against him. Because MR has given tools for western media to exploit against him, like anti-democratic practices and bad governance.
Another important aspect in S lobbying is it has a Catholic section, fathers. In US catholic evangelist lobby is a powerful one. Though Sinhala is a multi-religious group, S has successfully advertised Sinhala is Buddhist while they are not. That is one reason why we lost the votes of Catholic Lathin America. And since end of war in SL there are a lot of news in media Buddhist monks vandalizing and hate preaching against catholic places of worships making S’s propaganda easy. These are the things that made SL-US relations go down. This gov is continuously shooting at their feet.
US was in SL’s side during war. Understand why they have turned around.
That is why we need a new approach. We need a gentleman like man to put in front. S criticizing MR in media and S criticizing Ranil in west will have two different reactions. Ranil is looked at as a non-communal leader, while MR is not.
That does not mean we have to succumb to any other country for support. If we have problems we will sort it out here. There are answers to every problem, the only thing is that we have to seek the answer.
The problem is we do not sort it out. MR and the gang has not even tried to sort them out. After getting such criticism and condemnation for illegal CJ impeachment, what did he do to ease the situation? Appointed another one of his stooges in a top position in judiciary! Is this learning and sorting out problems?
We are faced with many problems in economy. Read PB’s warning? But has this gove learnt a lesson? NO. even these days gov is trying to hold those Dayata Kirula which serve NO purpose but huge wastages.
He hasn’t learnt a lesson in Hamanthota port, Mattala, Nelum pokuna and continuing in nelum kuluna. The biggest problem with MR is he doesn’t learn a lesson and take corrective actions.
Look at Hambanthota incident few months ago. In a moment when this man is getting condemnation for thuggery and dictator like actions around world with resolutions against him, he sent thugs in hambanthota to beat UNP mps. If MR had even a small brain he would have let the MPs to do their job or punish the culprits in their side.
And his way of protecting the rapist in Tangalle case..All these things make S’s propaganda real. MR has NO brain to realize that. It is the problem.
Yeah like you I want a democratic, free and phosphorous country but I do not believe that we can create such a country by following any other country's example or by only taking their advice. Our country is unique as the rest of the countries of the world. We have to figure out what is the best for our country and what is not. No outsider to our society can tell us what we need best.
No one is saying what is best for us simply because whether we go down as a country or not, doesn’t matter to them. Free speech, democracy, free judiciary and free police works good for the people in this country, not for anyone else. That is why we should work for them. A country without proper governance is a weak country subject to meddling by others. Sadly SL today is that thanks to MR’s stupidity. The reason we ask for an independent judiciary is S can say lankakn judiciary cannot handle war crime investigations. But if judiciary in SL can we would be better off. That is why destroying judiciary for one’s own short term gain (MR’s) is disastrous for him in the long run and for the country.
US values highly on civil liberties and democracy. But that is only for their country. They do not give damn about civil liberties and democracy of other countries. I do not think I need to give examples. I believe that you know about it very well.
Yes they do not give a damn about other’s IF that is needed for US interests. That is why US talks about civil liberties in SL while ignoring that in Iraq. Anyone will sympathies a victim if that doesn’t affect one’s interests. That is the natural law. We can’t cry ‘ehema ottu na’ but work understanding that reality.
So has he succumb to the US demands? Have he done as what they say? That is why we need to stay vigilant.
MR will have to when he allow international investigations here. MR is not in a position not to do that. Especially economically. We have to stay vigilant from seperatists not US. US is not after SL, Seperatists are. Seperatists use US to influence us. We have to win back the US to defeat the seperatists. It is simple as that. US don’t ask us to do difficult things but few things like independent judiciary and proper governance. Don’t confuse the enemy. Our enemy is NOT US but S.
If we have to accept US demands for a long term victory over S, there is no harm in it. We once did like that which was useful for us. A good thinking leader understands the realities and work with it. MR is not doing that.
There are nothing good with US policies towards us. It is better that we stay out of it.
How easy would it be if we can stay out? Gove used this since US brought the first resolution against us and now cornered. As a developing country we cannot afford to make US an enemy or have no relations. If you think so, you are being childish. US is the superpower and china is not even close to it. We can’t ignore US.
Then why did US help us during the war? What changed it? Lets look at the reason and correct it and win their support again. That is the correct way of handling these things. If Wimal idiots way of ignoring US won’t help SL but rather will help S to gain upper hand over us more. We are in a race to get US support with S. MR’s policies will make sure we lose that race.
Why do you think pro LTTE political parties are getting bold now? The obvious reason US support. We need to have a person which west like to balance things off.
MR never had any affection from USA. Even before the war when MR was contesting for presidential elections US took the side of RW. So it is obvious that US to go against MR. So do we need to choose our leaders according to US requirements? Why not welcome the US ambassador to run our country?
If US can affect us, we need to patch up with US. It is simple commonsense. Are not you a grown up boy? If in your school there is a big bully and you re weak, the best thing is to make peace with him. Going against him will land you in a worse place. These are simple common sense.
And is your point that as MR is not good with US, we let MR to take down SL along with him?
Geo politics and specially politics of a country faced with separatism is a difficult task. And especially when S has huge support bases in many countries. We need allies around the world. And specially the support of the biggest power is a nonnegotiable one and their support for our enemy is the last thing we want.
What do you think if RW won against MR, would US ditch every thing they have done and stand behind SL thus isolating the lobby groups? I think that you do not understand the true nature of the issues.
To a certain extent yes. US listen to RW more than they listen to MR. RW has a good PR there and even among media which we want now and what MR lack most. Things won’t change drastically but S’s lobbying power will diminish.
And as RW knows the importance of independent judiciary and good governance he understands the danger in ruining these which unfortunately MR doesn’t realize. Once good governance is established, SL as a country would be stronger and can face threats in a better way. TNA fighting with MR and TNA fighting with RW have two different effects. RW is seen as a person who did a lot to bring peace facing LTTE barbarism.
That is why US later helped to restructure SL army during RW’s short period. RW was getting ready for war. US was in his side then. We need to bring back that relationship again.
Another thing we have to destroy TNA or weaken it. We cant use bullets. But the biggest strength behind TNA is US and India listening to them. US is more likely to trust TNA more when MR is in power while it is not the case with RW.
I can sum up as "ranging from natural resources like water to strategic issues like our position in the IOR."
SL is not a country with natural resources. What can US do with water in SL? Bottle it and send to US? That is not enough for even 20% of US. And our strategic location is not useful for US as they have Diergo Garcia. And India serves that interest as well. S’pore is a probable another option.
Yes I know.
Good that you googled for it at least now.
The reasons for Ranils failure can be mainly attributed to the failed peace process. But his economic policies such as scaling down the public sector, whole sale privatization of public institutions and reduction in welfare spending resulted also in his downfall. Any sane politician who has lived among people would not have committed such grave mistakes.
That is if that politician does not care about the economy and only about the number of votes he get in next election.
Given the dangerous situation this country is in, economically we need to scale down Public sector hugely and privatize nonprofit making public institutions like SriLankan, winding up useless Mihin. And also take urgent actions to save petroleum corporation and power sector in this country. Look at what MR has done to power generation in SL. Disaster!
And of course lessen welfare spending. When you have NO money in your pocket, you obviously have to cut down your expenses. That is not a big deal. I personally know during RW’s time wastages in ministries were reduced with extra effort.
If RW is responsive to what others think he should have given up his leadership years ago. The same issue shows how irresponsible he is to others until he get what he wants. Do you really vote for such a person?
The reason he doesn’t go is he has support among members in UNP and there is no leader in UNP. Sajith is not suitable. If his tendency to stick into UNP leadership so long and his way of getting what he wants is what makes you not to vote for him, how do you vote for MR? MR does the same to SL with disastrous implications to our law and order, judiciary and constitution. And do not care when his party members take the rule to their hands and destruct law and order in SL. At least RW’s actions doesn’t affect the country.
And RW is a clean fellow. He doesn’t take bribes and doesn’t steal. Compare that with MR, the commission king ping!
Ending the war is the first step towards the unity. If we hadn't won the war or continue fighting we would have never achieve unity. Do you understand that?
Do you see as we have achieved unity? Ending the war means managing the separatist issues and winning the tamil public. Instead of winning the tamil public MR has lost on other minorities as well. In reality SL has not won a war but dragged the country to pre war situation that we had in pre 80s. If MR considered importance of unity for even a cent he will not make national anthem Sinhala only listening to wimal idiot and his followers like you.
At least he did what he said. Ending the war. Hasn't he?
Yeah and ended the war but worsened the situation. SL gov is in a more difficult situation after war. During war it was against LTTE and of course against LTTE SLG had the moral upper hand. With LTTE out of the picture, SLG is looked at as the worse party and with good reasons. What is the point of winning a war and making the separatists gain? Is that victory? Defeating LTTE is good and we are thankful for that, but that doesn’t mean we should let MR to ruin the country on behalf of Prabha.
Yeah right. RW is elected democratically is due to the fact UNP working committee is full of his henchmen. If RW has gone for a open election among his party membership RW would be defeated.
NO. If you take any general election, RW is the one who gains highest number of votes. Some party members might dislike him but majority prefer RW. The educated ones prefer RW and not anyone else.
The saying goes that man is measured by his doing. Be that he is a beggar or a king.
And didn’t he perform when he was PM in SL? How can you measure him without giving him a chance? I have given MR a chance for 10 years and he has been a disappointment especially after 2010.
Who says that a leader of a country should listen to the demands and concerns of intellectuals in this country? That is not democracy. The leader of the country should listen to the demands and concerns of the majority of the general public even though they are wrong. That is the democracy.
If the majority is wrong then country is in disaster ne. You have no idea what democracy means. Majority in SL opted for 56 language policy wasn’t that a disaster? Every country that is successful has a strong, rational intellectual crowd that steer the country in right direction. MR doesn’t listen to them. He thinks winning war will make him president every time and invincible. That is his first stupidity and of course yourse too.
The duty of the intellectuals are to convince the general public about what is wrong and what is right. Even though the leader of the country could ask for the assistance of intellectuals in running the country. But even then the leader is responsible for what he do and in the end he should face the verdict of the public whether the public is right or wrong.
Yes intellectuals should convince the public and the politicians both. That doenst happen in this country and even when intellectuals advise the politicians they ignore them. Because politically is it disadvantageous to them. What is happening with MR.
The correct decision is not always the popular one.
Are you implying that CJ or political rivals of MR is above the law just because they are CJ or political rivals of MR? If any one has broken the law they have to face the consequences.
CJ has not broken the law as MR says. But it was obvious to everyone what was happening and that CJ impeachment was done because CJ didn’t toe MR’s line. That is why! Don’t come up with gover’s excuses for CJ’s impeachment. The sole reason MR impeached CJ is because she didn’t abide by MR’s demands.
If CJ is not above the law and it was only the so called corruption of Shirani B what it mattered then how come a worse person was appointed to that post? Your notion that she is not above law is an empty argument because the new appointee by MR has worse charges.
The whole world witnessed what MR did and condemned. Even MR’s supporters in Commonwealth like Kamalesh Sharma found it difficult to defend MR.
Though you do not realize this is the biggest problem of MR and its followers. You try to defend the indefensible and lose the credibility. It doesn’t matter how you or even wimal tried to explain CJ impeachment was wrong and illegal. No one with a sane mind can defend it.
I do not have faith in full democracy as some portray. No country in this world is not 100% democratic. I just support MR because he try to protect the national interests of SL. Any other major political leader in SL has shown any indication that they do that up to now. Many leaders like RW are actually afraid of the idea of protecting or safeguarding national interests of SL.
How do you see MR protecting national interests in SL?
Weakening economy? How can a country with economic disaster stand up to its national interest? Can a beggar challenge anyone? If MR wants to protect national interests he wont destroy SL’s economy like he does now.
What national interests does MR protect?
I didn’t say every country is democratic 100%. If I say you are healthy it doesn’t mean you are 100% healthy. But it means democratic traditions are strong which we want in SL. I know you don’t care for democracy for the simple reason MR does not care. A country with no democracy is a country with poor governance. Such a country has problems among its people and thus a weak, unstable country. How is that protecting national interests?
If MR cares for national interests he should be protecting democracy in SL.
Indian sent 100,000 strong army by force. They made us agree to a resolution by force. They invaded our airspace with active provocation. Does it any less dangerous than not bringing up resolutions.
Yes more dangerous but properly managed (with some issues) unlike the case now. The problem I have is with the way things being managed.
As he uncle RW is believing in US that US will come to our aid when we are in trouble by siding with US. But as we have seen 1980s US didn't even give damn about us.
US won’t some to SL aid, and china and Russia too won’t. By patching up with US we are avoiding the support for separatists. Also in modern age threats do not come from invasion alone. The acceptance for separatism among west is alarming. We need to stop that.
And why RW still cling on to a markets that has economically fallen down. Why has not RW made any progressive headway with emerging economic giants such as India and China? Do you want us to sell tea and apparels to EU/US every day?
In Ranil’s period he tried to enter markets like India. He said India to SL provides an opportunity like China to Hongkong and that we should use the opportunity offered by india. To which your idiot wimal started reacting like an idiot saying Hongkong is a part of china ignoring the economic aspect of what RW said.
And just look at how empty your argument is? RW was in power only 1 and half years. And MR has been in power like 10 years what has he done to make ‘progressive headway’ in china and india? Having indian owned companies here and taking loans from china is not ‘progressive headway’.
And US and EU are not falling down markets. China and india’s markets are also west. China sell their stuff to the west. Most of our products that we send to west and mid east have manufacturers and competitors in india and china. So we cant sell them our products for the obvious reason they have them there.
No we should not sell tea everyday to US and EU. That is why I asked you what new industry MR has come up with for the last 10 years and SLFP for the last 20 years? Other than relying on garment sector brought by unp?
Well China is. Russia is. And India too is in our side. So why do we need US?
Because china, Russia will back off in front of US in SL. SL is not crimea for Russia. Russia gets no big strategic value by being with SL to go to war with US and stand against them. Countries work based on their priorities. And same can be said about China. That is why Chinese diplomats have told Lankan counter parts that SL has to help china to help SL. That means SL should position itself in a manner china can help SL. Going against US is not the way to that.
India is not a reliable case. India has a large Tamil Nadu. So you cant expect favorable india forever. Indian Policies towards SL can be volatile with TN influence. The only reason India was away from S was LTTE. The moment LTTE is out of the picture S can get close to India. Use your brain. You talk about national interests then talk about relying on india nad china.
What about removing the scenarios and internal issues in SL and steer the country in the right direction without giving tools for the external parties to exploit?
The supportive US stance during the war was due to US Secretary of state Condoleezza Rice. She influenced US policy makers to be on softer policy for SL.
No. It was the republican policy as a whole and disgust towards terrorism US had after 9/11. Also US identified SL as a democratic country following US model of presidency. US saw common things with us. Now we have none like that.
US opposed us in 2009. Does that due to MR’s anti democratic rule and attack on civil institutions like judiciary? or his broken promise on power devolution?
No, it is the strong lobbying of S and of course because of Britian. Remember S started to access and lobbying power in Democrats in US way before. Remember S for Obama? By anti-democratic rule and attack on civil institutions like judiciary MR has proved S is right about him and it further deteriorated US-SL relationship. US politicans knows next to nothing about SL. They believe lobby groups and media and what embassies say. And when attack on civil institutions are known it gives a good opportunity to attack SL for the S. This is common sense though you failed to grasp.
And again we need civil liberties not because US want them here because as citizens we want them here. MR destroy the country, economy, dictatorship, no law and order any gov goon can attack anyone in the road and rape any girl and get away with that. No one like to stay in such a country. Look at how people are emigrating. To have a country we need people. Most of the educated youth are emigrating. It is an exodus. MR has created an environment of NO HOPE unless of course you live with your brain not functioning.
If US wants to weight behind separatists let them do it. We could have the strength to live through the consequences because we are a sovereign nation. I do not know about you but any free and sovereign person might understand what I said.
I don’t know whether to laugh and cry at this. I can only blame Karma or god for being generous towards SL when distributing idiots. In the current world, an economically weak country with internal strife can’t be sovereign and free. IF US puts its weight behind S we need to stop that. If you look around MR is doing everything to prevent India from putting its weight behind S. Does that look like soverign and free?
To not give others a chance we should solve our matters. The problem is MR is NOT (Look at this word NOT) solving issues but deteriorating the current situation. IF MR goes along with the way he currently performs we are gonna get screwed idiot. Your cardboards written with free and sovereign can do shit.
When I said gover would bring 13A whether you like it or not, you said you will not let that happen and bring down the gov. What did you do? Did you do anything that would make MR troubled at least more than he is troubled by his own fart.
No one created the suitable conditions. With the formation of UNF government the conditions were naturally made. It wasn't a genius of RW. Even if UNP contested under a scarecrow SL economy would have become plus value. That is economics not politics.
Wow explain that economics. If economics work like that countries would not need economic policies and economic management at all. Tho danna economics! Gon modaya! Are you saying MR is worse than a scarecrow?
Then why did not those conditions naturally come before Ranil came to power? Some kind of magical conditions that come into being naturally but only when ranil came to power.
Go and read what you yourself typed idiot, you said Ranil, scaled down public sector, privatized public ins and cut down welfare. These things helped to manage finance better. It is the utter and irrational spending and wastage of CBK that was stopped by Ranil and the same wastage of MR that is ruining SL.
SL needs Ranil or more importantly get out of MR like never before.
The same reason I say we need ranil because conditions will set in naturally to save this country from wastages like mattala, mega cabinet, hambanthota, divi naguma.
It was due to the fact that until the attack on Katunayake airport SL economy was at plus level. Once it was attacked it went to the minus figure. That was because the international embargo on travel to SL, reluctance of international insurances companies to insure logistics to SL, the crash of the stock market and lack of investors' will to invest in SL.
A strong economy would sustain them and how did it reverse so soon when Ranil came to power? Did insurance companies started insuring again and were embargos lifted? One thing I agree with you with Ranil coming in, stock market started picking up again because business community and investors have trust in Ranil. The truth you cant hide.
When ranil wins SL stockmarket function very well when SLFPer wins it loses a lot. Do google search more.

Back
Top Bottom