What's new

Japan’s Pivot Away from the West Leads Back to China

Aepsilons

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Japan
02112013_china_japan_article.jpg

Japan-watchers have asked since the “bubble” of the late-1980s, “What are the Japanese going to do?” Now Shinzo Abe, the bluntly nationalist prime minister, is making this clear, prompting a new question: “How will Americans and Japan’s neighbors handle what the Japanese are going to do?”

China forces the question, as it does much else at the western end of the Pacific. Its economy overtook Japan’s in 2010 and will soon overtake America’s. Its assertive moves in the seas around it, have the region sitting up and watching—as is Washington, and very closely.

The talk now is of a resurgent Japan. Abe just announced plans to reinterpret Japan’s peace constitution to allow for military activity beyond defense of Japan’s borders. He stands fast in asserting sovereignty over islands Beijing also claims. His “Abenomics” experiment, making money so cheap corporations, consumers, and investors can scarcely avoid spending it, is intended to jolt the economy back to life after two decades in a coma. It is daring, and it is working. On Monday, Japan reported first-quarter growth at an annualized rate of 6.7 percent, the best quarterly performance since Q3 2011.

Abe’s premiership is complex, but there is a strong argument that China effectively holds the cue cards.

“Japan is clearly trying to play a regional role and revive its economy,” says David Pilling, Asia editor at the Financial Times. “But ‘resurgent Japan’ sets up the wrong idea. What you have is a resurgent China, and Japan reacting to it. China was the backdrop to Abe’s re-election two years ago. He was made in Beijing.”

Pilling has just published Bending Adversity: Japan and the Art of Survival, which, for my money, is the Japan book of his generation. In it, he identifies the deep sources of Japan’s long national angst as to its place in Asia. The book suggests Japan is just as committed as China is to achieving a new postwar settlement—and asserting itself as a Pacific power in a reshaped regional constellation.

I have long viewed Japan and China as the Germany and France of East Asia, and until these two powers are reconciled, insecurity and anxiety will prevail across the region. Renovating the post-1945 order, much as Washington resists, is the only starting point holding any promise of success.

But this sets us up for a nice raft of worrisome potential outcomes, if Pilling’s thesis is correct (and I think it is). The best reply to this observation is simple: Maintaining stability at all costs can sometimes be detrimental. Few significant historical advances have been achieved without risk.

“We’ve had a strong China and a weak Japan, and then a strong Japan and a weak China,” Pilling observes. “But we’ve never had a strong China and a strong Japan. I’m not predicting war, but it’s not a happy situation, and I can’t see it going away soon.”

Armed conflict indeed seemsfar-fetched. There are too many intelligent minds in Beijing and Tokyo, and the extent of economic interdependence between the two powers can be counted an insurance policy against any kind of hot war. But a long-running smolder as China and Japan improvise their way toward peaceful resolution: Yes, it is the region’s most likely fate.

Pessimism can be overdone on both counts. In South Korea, the idea of Japan as an aggressive nation has taken on a life of its own, true. But in China, where animosities are shrillest, the culture of victimhood is cynically manipulated—turned on and off like water from a faucet.

Other nations have already put the past in its proper place—forgetting none of it but taking it off center stage. Across Southeast Asia, ill-feeling among populations is surprisingly faint and Japanese popular culture much favored. The Philippines, Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam, Malaysia— all have had huge Japanese investment since the 1980s; Manila and Hanoi are now on record welcoming a greater Japanese security presence.

Abe is playing the card. He is keenly attentive to Japan’s “soft power.” Last year he visited all 10 members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations. At a regional defense dialogue in Singapore 10 days ago, Abe’s theme was, approximately, “If the Americans won’t defend you, we will.” Tokyo is now selling the Philippines patrol boats on very favorable terms and talking to Hanoi about a similar deal.

Acceptance of Japan is perfectly plausible, providing China finds the political will, and Beijing and Tokyo are able to reach their hands across the water.

Emphatically they can. During Abe’s first premiership, a brief run in 2006-7, his clear intent was to pull off a Nixon-in-China gambit—a man of proven nationalist credentials breaking the ice with Communist Beijing. State visits were becoming routine; talks on condominium development of the disputed islands’ resources were advancing; a Japanese naval vessel called at a Chinese port. “No guarantees,” a retired Japanese ambassador said in Tokyo at the time, “but the trajectory is right.”

To say the trajectory is wrong now is to put the point too mildly. But we ought not to forget the recent history. What once was quite close can be re-approached.

Abe’s nationalist streak is noxious. But he appears intent on resolving the long national neurosis as to whether Japan is Asian or somehow of the West. If Japan is to “join Asia” at last, so much the better. A Sino-Japanese settlement will have the staying power of a solution originating within the Asian dynamic and without reference to outside forces coming in on one side and opposed to the other. Washington’s task is to accommodate this historic shift.

“I predict things will get more uncomfortable before they get more comfortable,” Pilling said the other day from Hong Kong. So do I, but the second part of the thought is a fairly certain bet to follow the first.

REFERENCE: THE FISCAL TIMES

“We’ve had a strong China and a weak Japan, and then a strong Japan and a weak China,” Pilling observes. “But we’ve never had a strong China and a strong Japan. I’m not predicting war, but it’s not a happy situation, and I can’t see it going away soon.”

I do hope Japan returns Asia. The formula above would be really insane given the combined power of the two nations.

I am wondering if the leaders of CN-JP and SK will ever meet anytime soon. CJK FTA might be an excellent platform for that.

CN-JP-SK should dominate the entire Asian geopolitical space.

I do hope Japan returns Asia. The formula above would be really insane given the combined power of the two nations.

I am wondering if the leaders of CN-JP and SK will ever meet anytime soon. CJK FTA might be an excellent platform for that.

CN-JP-SK should dominate the entire Asian geopolitical space.

Hypothetically speaking, if Japan and China were say, strategic allies? The combined might of the Japanese Navy and the PLAAN could -- dominate not only Asia-Pacific, but perhaps into the IOR and beyond.

China's huge man power and growing technological sector + Japan's technological innovative capacity.

The possibilities are limitless.

China main domestic goal is economic development, and one of our main foreign policy goals is the end of the current unipolar world order, in favor of a "multipolar" world. Where there is no global hegemon (currently characterized by America and their Western allies), and where there are multiple centers of power.

If Japan and the other nations of Asia were to leave the orbit of America, and become strong independent powers that served their own interests instead of America's, that would go a considerable way to the creation of a new and stable multipolar world.

That would be a very welcome thing indeed.

Hypothetically speaking, if Japan and China were say, strategic allies? The combined might of the Japanese Navy and the PLAAN could -- dominate not only Asia-Pacific, but perhaps into the IOR and beyond.

China's huge man power and growing technological sector + Japan's technological innovative capacity.

The possibilities is limitless.

Add to that the minerals and plenty of empty space for agribusiness as well as massive amount of cash China (and Japan) has.

It seems anti-historical forces have been at work so that such an alliance would not happen. I am wondering what are those anti-dialectical forces that hold history back from progressing.

Uncle Sam?

Last edited:
China main domestic goal is economic development, and one of our main foreign policy goals is the end of the current unipolar world order, in favor of a "multipolar" world. Where there is no global hegemon (currently characterized by America and their Western allies), and where there are multiple centers of power.

If Japan and the other nations of Asia were to leave the orbit of America, and become strong independent powers that served their own interests instead of America's, that would go a considerable way to the creation of a new and stable multipolar world.

I definitely agree that Japan needs to have a more independent foreign policy. And I believe that the developments going on in Japan now -- as we speak the LDP and New Komeito are already discussing points -- we will see a more formidable Japan. One that will have the capability to defend its national interests.

Add to that the minerals and plenty of empty space for agribusiness as well as massive amount of cash China (and Japan) has.
It seems anti-historical for such an alliance not to happen. I am wondering what are those anti-dialectical forces that hold history back from progressing.
Uncle Sam?

It seems anti-historical for such an alliance not to happen. I am wondering what are those anti-dialectical forces that hold history back from progressing.

Uncle Sam?

There are multivariables:

1. American fear of growing Chinese-Japanese camaraderie
2. Chinese anger towards Japanese politicians -- which is translated by Japanese civilians as "China is angry at all of Japan"
3. Japanese fear that China will be a military aggressor

If we eliminate these variables; I do not see why both our countries cannot cooperate not just as economic partners, but as strategic partners.

Uncle Sam?

China and Japan have the two largest foreign currency reserves in the world. No one in the West even comes close to either one.

We should have a lot more economic influence in the world than we currently do.

Except countries like America still dominate the voting rights for organizations like the IMF, despite them having the largest debt in the world, and borrowing money from China and Japan to repay their debts.

At least in terms of economic relationships,we are on the right trajectory.

I think we should remember FTA among China,Japan and south korea was almost set but it was disturbed by those disputed islands.It is not a wise step.We should resume and make it soon.Because our common civilians would benefit from FTA.

In addition,frankly Japan and China had a better relationship in some period though we have historical controversy.But our predecessors had stated that leave aside those controversies and please move forward.If this generation is not that wise to resolve it,please ask next wise generation to deal with it.We are glad to see a strong,responsible,just and normal country and because we live in one community.Hope we could become good neighbors.

The possibilities are limitless.

It's PLAN with a single A, you keep making the wrong spelling lol. Personally i see it as a pointless dream of a strategic partnership between China and Japan. 1. WW2, 2. Japan is a US vassal state. 3. Diaoyu island
Had Japan not made the mistake of having a war in Asia, i believe a strong alliance between Russia, China, Japan and Korea today would be one hell of an alliance. Korea is divided is the result of the war Japan had started which led to the struggle between Soviet Union and America causing the country to split. Since you can't go back in time it's pointless to discuss a strategic alliance between China and Japan. The US won't allow it and i don't see Japan can escape US clutches. Even when China's influence keeps on growing and our military strength getting bigger, the Americans still have their bases in South Korea and Japan.

Had Japan not made the mistake of having a war in Asia, i believe a strong alliance between Russia, China, Japan and Korea today would be one hell of an alliance.

Don't you think that may not be resolved? We have the example of Europe that hails from an even a bloodier past.

Besides, the nature of present-day dispute between China and Japan is territorial. There is absolutely no racial or secterian enmity (except perhaps some disillusionment of certain Japanese who consider themselves superior to the rest because of skin-color charactersitics. But that must be an extremely small percentage).

The US won't allow it and i don't see Japan can escape US clutches. Even when China's influence keeps on growing and our military strength getting bigger, the Americans still have their bases in South Korea and Japan.

I agree with the point that the US is too dominant over Japan's foreign policy and I do not see how Japanese goverments would be able to break free from this. If what Mr. Abe wants is simply to do contractual work for the US imperialist, then, that woill noit bode well for China and the rest of Asia.

Don't you think that may not be resolved? We have the example of Europe that hails from an even a bloodier past.

Besides, the nature of present-day dispute between China and Japan is territorial. There is absolutely no racial or secterian enmity (except perhaps some disillusionment of certain Japanese who consider themselves superior to the rest because of skin-color charactersitics. But that must be an extremely small percentage).

I agree with the point that the US is too dominant over Japan's foreign policy and I do not see how Japanese goverments would be able to break free from this. If what Mr. Abe wants is simply to do contractual work for the US imperialist, then, that woill noit bode well for China and the rest of Asia.

The problem lies with the US. It wishes to stay the dominant power for eternity. As long Japan cannot break free from the Americans, it's foreign policies shall always be dictated by Uncle Sam. Trust me the American agenda is to counter China using Japan and it will not let an alliance form between CJK.

Can you please provide an example from history of a stable multi-polar world? It seems like an oxymoron to me.

Can you please provide an example from history of a stable multi-polar world? It seems like an oxymoron to me.

That's because the world has never been stable before.

And it's not stable now.

Maybe I should not have used the word "stable", I'll rephrase:

"That would go a considerable way to the creation of a new multipolar world."

China and Japan have the two largest foreign currency reserves in the world. No one in the West even comes close to either one.

We should have a lot more economic influence in the world than we currently do.

Except countries like America still dominate the voting rights for organizations like the IMF, despite them having the largest debt in the world, and borrowing money from China and Japan to repay their debts.

I have seen you make this point several times before. It's important to have strong foreign currency reserves to hedge against hot money flows, but for a country running a large trade surplus like China, it's not an advantage. On the contrary, it's dead money that is not being used productively by China.

Back
Top Bottom