What's new

Japan unveils massive $110 billion plan for Asia’s infrastructure to counter China

I agree! India is ripe for investment, plus, we cannot deny the massive Indian market.

With China becoming more hostile, we might have to start moving our production centers from China to ASEAN and India. Where the population is more receptive and less hostile, politically.

It is surprising that Japanese and South Korean companies are more successful in India than western companies. Japanese and South Korean seem to understand Indian markets and consumer well than their western counterparts. Suzuki led the way for Japanese companies in India, though the Japanese investments in India dwarf its investments in China.

With India being projected by IMF and WB to become the fastest growing major market, I hope Japan will see India from a different perspective

I agree! India is ripe for investment, plus, we cannot deny the massive Indian market.

With China becoming more hostile, we might have to start moving our production centers fratChina to ASEAN and India. Where the population is more receptive and less hostile, politically.

True. But then again I'm afraid reality is different. India still has many trade and investment barriers /lack of adequate infrastructure inadequate supply chain etc to attract enough Japanese companies, instead the few Japanese and western companies moving out of China prefer to go to ASEAN, SEA(e.g Vietnam) than India . It's not a coincidence, and nope, Japanese companies won't move out of China anytime soon, China still offers a massive market, supply chain, infrastructure,close culture to Japan/japanese companies etc and this will only increase with time not reduce. Just look at China -Japan trade and compare it with India -Japan trade (it's peanuts) . I'm afraid to say it, but it's true the Chinese market will become the dominant force on Asia by the end of this decade, just like the U. s market has been in the American continent and the world. There's no escaping a country with such a market //infrastructure

So in short, businessmen don't care about nationalism,geo politics, but about the best ROI. reason despite all our rhetoric in the west /U. S/Japan, our trade with China has been increasing every year not reducing and it will increase even more with time as China developes and it's proper become increasingly wealthy. Reapolitik unfortunately.

True. But then again I'm afraid reality is different. India still has many trade and investment barriers /lack of adequate infrastructure inadequate supply chain etc to attract enough Japanese companies, instead the few Japanese and western companies moving out of China prefer to go to ASEAN, SEA(e.g Vietnam) than India . It's not a coincidence, and nope, Japanese companies won't move out of China anytime soon, China still offers a massive market, supply chain, infrastructure,close culture to Japan/japanese companies etc and this will only increase with time not reduce. Just look at China -Japan trade and compare it with India -Japan trade (it's peanuts) . I'm afraid to say it, but it's true the Chinese market will become the dominant force on Asia by the end of this decade, just like the U. s market has been in the American continent and the world. There's no escaping a country with such a market //infrastructure

So in short, businessmen don't care about nationalism,geo politics, but about the best ROI. reason despite all our rhetoric in the west /U. S/Japan, our trade with China has been increasing every year not reducing and it will increase even more with time as China developes and it's proper become increasingly wealthy. Reapolitik unfortunately.

ROI is just one factor. Market size and risk are two other major factors that companies evaluate and there are more. China beats India in market size and lower risk. ROI could be higher in India than in China given that in India you have less competition and fragmented markets.

Japanese should invest in India especially in Arunachal Pradesh and Andaman Islands in return they should be allowed to use our east coast and Andaman for their Navy and Naval aviation.

Last edited:
We have $1.2 Trillion on Pension funds , and a FOrEX of over $1.5 Trillion.

We have ALOT of money, lol

That's about $2.7 Trillion .....

Yes, Japan is a financial behemoth beyond its "modest" GDP numbers, there is almost another Japan outside its sovereign soil and can easily put up a fund of such a scale! Let's run through a simple check and analysis.

At the peak of its time, in 1985 the Plaza Accord changed the course of Japan from GDP-driven (production on its sovereign soil) to massive overseas economic expansion (oversea production), making Japan the No. 1 creditor nation since 1992 till now, 24 years in a row. At the end of 2013 Japan's net external assets was a mind-boggling $3.2 trillion, over 50% more than those held by China, the world's No. 2 creditor nation.

In terms of industrial leadership, despite say giving away leadership to SK in some heavy industries, and in electronics ceding market share to fast catching-ups in SK (e.g. Hynix, Samsung) and Taiwan (e.g. TSMC) since 1980's, Japan maintained a huge global lead in many other top-notched techs from robotics, advanced materials, optics, precision tooling to large-scale NC machines. Japan is actually well-positioned in the integration of the East Asia manufacturing hub, holding critical upstream positions in the whole supply chain. While being an upstream component superpower i.e. "Industry 3.0~4.0", Japan also maintains lead in several consumer products e.g. Toyota with its globalized production, the No 1 auto company both in volume and revenue.

Relatively speaking Taiwan and SK corps were integrated much deeper with China, which is both the bulk of the supply chain, as well as a market. An example would be the battle between PDP and LCD, technological factor contributed only partly to the results as witnessed today. Another example is SONY's retreat from consumer mobiles, and "pivot" to core components.

Noting Japan's unique positioning in the global supply chain, the future of Japan will continue to rely on closer integration with China, which is both the bulk of the supply chain, as well as a potential market. The well established, full-spectrum, continental-sized industrial base of China offers huge opportunities to Japanese industrial techs.

I suppose some high-tech exports numbers of Japan are embedded with China, Singapore, US, Malaysia:

o0GeIkh.jpg

On consumption, despite the market is already huge, its potential is even bigger noting China's annual domestic savings is an unusual 50% of GDP and world No. 1 in absolute size (the abnormally high savings, and low consumption of Chinese is a key reason for currently low GDP figure). Compared to industrial techs, due to political tension, Japan has been trailing its peers in Taiwan and Korea in tapping Chinese consumer market.

Gross domestic savings (current US$)
Gross domestic savings are calculated as GDP less final consumption expenditure (total consumption). Data are in current U.S. dollars. World Bank national accounts data, and OECD National Accounts data files.
Catalog Sources World Development Indicators

untitled-png.221265

Other than China, Japanese goods will continue to rely on markets from the developed countries, either directly, through its offshore manufacturing assets, or through peer supply chain in East Asia.

In extremely low GDP countries, consumption potential is weak hence less attractive to hi-end Japanese consumer products. Furthermore if infrastructure and industrial base is underdeveloped, it would be difficult for hi-end Japanese techs or industrial goods to make any major inroads. Though there are still lucrative opportunities, say infrastructure export, and machinery for industry 1.0, especially for countries with stimulus packages and beginning to industrialize (e.g. Pakistan, Bangladesh), or countries rich in natural resources (e.g. Africa, South America).
@cnleio @mike2000 is back : comments and opinions are welcome

Some of above are extracted from my own post:
How China Made Japan Irrelevant!!! | Page 2
Coming Down to Earth

Last edited:

LOL, Japan's public debt is almost 250% of its GDP. Yeah, none is "richer" than you.:-)

List of countries by public debt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

more reading
"The Japanese public debt exceeded one quadrillion yen (US$10.46 trillion) in 2013, more than twice the annual gross domestic product of Japan."

"Notwithstanding the stability of the market for Japanese government debt, the cost of servicing Japan's public debt uses up half of the state's tax revenues...":-)

Japan public debt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
If the Japanese have all the sincerity at the outset why they didnt do it @ADB?
They bring the capital now for a childish fight.

images

Ancient Chinese Art of Paper Folding

It's definitely a challenge though more than 3200 foreign companies operate in India. We have 3 things going for us - a stable democracy, a massive market and huge manpower.

Over 3,200 foreign companies operating in India: Government - timesofindia-economictimes

I`m curious how "Japan" will get the these 110 billions USD.Adding extra printer in BOJ basement maybe?By selling bonds none is willing to buy anymore?Or maybe trying to sell a small part of USD held treasuries?Well last is not option really-Japan will not be allowed to do so.Japan is not in position to neither compete nor to counter China in any form or shape-but this is something ruling elite in the country simply cant get it and keep dreaming for old times of WW2.

With China becoming more hostile, we might have to start moving our production centers from China to ASEAN and India. Where the population is more receptive and less hostile, politically.
OMG, I detected a China threat alert from @Nihonjin1051 . Looks like it will be a new Cold War in Asia after all.

That is significantly less than China's foreign exchange reserves.

Back
Top Bottom