What's new

Japan should see China as partner, not threat: Chinese ambassador to Japan

Aepsilons

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Japan
TOKYO —

Chinese Ambassador to Japan Cheng Yonghua expressed concern Tuesday about the portrayal of China as a threat to Japan and called on Tokyo to see Beijing as a partner in achieving peace and stability in the region.

“If Japan deliberately takes up a sensitive issue between China and Japan and uses it to create tensions and opposition…not only would (such an act) hurt bilateral ties but it would influence peace and stability in the region,” Cheng said in Japanese in a speech at a Tokyo hotel. “In the end, those who hurt others only hurt themselves.”

Ties between the two Asian neighbors have often been beset by disputes over territory and history, although there have been signs of a thaw in recent months.

The ambassador said there had been “negative remarks” about China when Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s ruling party and its coalition ally were seeking to enact security legislation last year as well as over territorial issues in the East and South China seas.

Japan, along with other countries, has criticized Beijing’s massive and fast-paced land reclamation in the South China Sea, saying such “unilateral” moves escalate tensions in the area. China, Taiwan, Vietnam, Brunei, Malaysia and the Philippines have conflicting territorial claims in the sea.

In the East China Sea, Japan is engaged in a row with China and Taiwan over a group of islets it administers. China stepped up its claim to the islets after Japan purchased a major part of them from a Japanese individual and put them under state control in 2012.

The security legislation, aimed at expanding the activities of Japan’s Self-Defense Forces overseas, was enacted last September in a major shift in Japan’s exclusively defense-oriented postwar security policy.

In arguing for the legislation, Abe cited “an increasingly severe security environment facing Japan,” alluding to China’s growing military assertiveness and North Korea’s nuclear and missile threats.

On North Korea’s fourth nuclear test conducted Jan. 6, the ambassador said China, a permanent member of the U.N. Security Council, will “support” the council in taking “appropriate” action in response to Pyongyang’s violation of previous U.N. Security Council resolutions banning nuclear tests.

Countries such as the United States, South Korea and Japan are hoping that China, which borders North Korea and is a longtime benefactor of the reclusive country, will be on the same page in seeking a strong and effective U.N. Security Council resolution against Pyongyang.

Cheng also called for dialogue with North Korea, saying six-party talks aimed at denuclearizing the Korean Peninsula should be held to prevent the proliferation of nuclear weapons and to protect peace and stability in Northeast Asia.

The six-party talks involving the two Koreas plus China, Japan, the United States and Russia have been deadlocked since late 2008.

Japan should see China as partner, not threat: ambassador ‹ Japan Today: Japan News and Discussion

“If Japan deliberately takes up a sensitive issue between China and Japan and uses it to create tensions and opposition…not only would (such an act) hurt bilateral ties but it would influence peace and stability in the region,” Cheng said in Japanese in a speech at a Tokyo hotel. “In the end, those who hurt others only hurt themselves.”

:tup::tup:

well i think if these two giants of asia unite( not as a country but remove each other concerns & be peaceful neighbours) then many western giants will feel jealous ....however if these two giants with money, resources & technology collaborate then i would say it will bring great change in western attitude...

Japan should withdraw all its Chinese investment which can be frozen by China in case of war crisis.

But, my friend, a war between China and Japan will never happen.

Later part of this century, it will be US-Japan-Australia-India and Asean to go to war with China on inflated Chinese territorial claims.

Later part of this century, it will be US-Japan-Australia-India and Asean to go to war with China on inflated Chinese territorial claims.
US-Australia-India a whole one thing and Japan-China you know Oriental.
In the future clashes will happen between major civilizations and as I know there are only two kinds of civilization in this world-western and oriental.

Japan and China are both civilizational partners, both are Confucian civilizations that have had close contact , complementary, if i may add, for nearly 3 millennia. Throughout these three millennia , there has always been high volume of trade, cultural transfer and diplomatic oversight between Japan and the Chinese Nation State. The level of mutual development between the two is unique and there is no other civilization state that can compare to this relationship.

Throughout history there were various wars between Japan and China, however, history has shown that wars between the two were usually fielded due to archaic notions of imperialistic and military adventurism secondary to industrial and economic demands at home. The defeat in WW2 had been a lesson for Japan that solving economic and political problems at home through short term military adventurism need not be a final solution. In fact what it had taught the entire Japanese nation state and succeeding generations is the indemnity of war for absolute infantilistic notions of imperialistic agenda. Since the end of the war Japan had placed its weight on omnidirectionality in the hopes of repairing relations with its neighbors, and with the rest of the developing world. Critical to this was to improve the relations with China ala Taiwan through unique bilateral mechanisms.

I would say that since the end of WW2 both Japan and China have gone a long way from being enemies, to being peace treaty partners, co-developmentalists, and social progressivists. In a chronological point of view, my friend, we have to bear in mind what we (Japan and China) have done together to mend our wounds. And we have done much. Aside from a very insignificant dispute in the Senkakus / (the Chinese will refer to it as Diaoyutai), there really is not much territorial difference between Japan and China.

I would encourage fellow civilian observers to allow the state diplomats between China and Japan to handle issues of territory on their own way, and let diplomats do their job. Till then, its important we be realistic, and focus on progress-oriented mechanisms.

I end this with a reiteration of my main theme: War between Japan and China is out of the option and will never happen.

Regards.

But abe-san already promised to america and obama that he will do everything just to undermine China-japan relations, abe-san will never break the promises he made.

As declared many times by CCP, Taiwan issue involves China’s core interest and belongs to China’s internal affair. This indicates that if there was an emergency or even war broke out in Taiwan Strait, neither US nor Japan is allowed to meddle in. Otherwise, war would break out between China and US (or Japan) immediately which would be a disaster.

The thorny problem is that the idea of pro-independence is very popular among the young generation in Taiwan, which retards the unification of Taiwan to China. I think the main reason lies in that the GDP per capital of China is still far behind Taiwan (maybe 1/3 to 1/2 ?). Comparing with their “rich friends” like US or Japan, China seems to be a “poor relative”. So they would rather choose to be closer to these rich friends.

However, as China continues to develop fast and narrowing down the gap of GDP per capital between China and Taiwan, it is very likely that the Mainland and Taiwan would reunite peacefully in the future to become the Great China.

As declared many times by CCP, Taiwan issue involves China’s core interest and belongs to China’s internal affair. This indicates that if there was an emergency or even war broke out in Taiwan Strait, neither US nor Japan is allowed to meddle in. Otherwise, war would break out between China and US (or Japan) immediately which would be a disaster.

The thorny problem is that the idea of pro-independence is very popular among the young generation in Taiwan, which retards the unification of Taiwan to China. I think the main reason lies in that the GDP per capital of China is still far behind Taiwan (maybe 1/3 to 1/2 ?). Comparing with their “rich friends” like US or Japan, China seems to be a “poor relative”. So they would rather choose to be closer to these rich friends.

However, as China continues to develop fast and narrowing down the gap of GDP per capital between China and Taiwan, it is very likely that the Mainland and Taiwan would reunite peacefully in the future to become the Great China.

1. There will be no war involving Taiwan
2. Japan will maintain neutrality in relations to Taiwan, in context to security issues with the Mainland
3. Japan, despite US coaxing, has persistently and constantly remained neutral in regards to Taiwan , out of respect for the Sino-Japan Treaty of Peace and Friendship of 1978.

I agree, I think Japan should especially take back the unicorns that they have brought to China to race in F1s.

Why would we do that? 1/4 of all our export sales goes to China. China is home to Japan's overseas hard production / manufacturing; home to over 4200 Japanese businesses. LOL!

Only an imbecile would really take seriously these sensationalist media articles of Japan-China hate mongering ! Come on, dude. Only the naive and deluded of minds takes such yellow journalism seriously.

Japan and China are both civilizational partners, both are Confucian civilizations that have had close contact , complementary, if i may add, for nearly 3 millennia. Throughout these three millennia , there has always been high volume of trade, cultural transfer and diplomatic oversight between Japan and the Chinese Nation State. The level of mutual development between the two is unique and there is no other civilization state that can compare to this relationship.

Throughout history there were various wars between Japan and China, however, history has shown that wars between the two were usually fielded due to archaic notions of imperialistic and military adventurism secondary to industrial and economic demands at home. The defeat in WW2 had been a lesson for Japan that solving economic and political problems at home through short term military adventurism need not be a final solution. In fact what it had taught the entire Japanese nation state and succeeding generations is the indemnity of war for absolute infantilistic notions of imperialistic agenda. Since the end of the war Japan had placed its weight on omnidirectionality in the hopes of repairing relations with its neighbors, and with the rest of the developing world. Critical to this was to improve the relations with China ala Taiwan through unique bilateral mechanisms.

I would say that since the end of WW2 both Japan and China have gone a long way from being enemies, to being peace treaty partners, co-developmentalists, and social progressivists. In a chronological point of view, my friend, we have to bear in mind what we (Japan and China) have done together to mend our wounds. And we have done much. Aside from a very insignificant dispute in the Senkakus / (the Chinese will refer to it as Diaoyutai), there really is not much territorial difference between Japan and China.

I would encourage fellow civilian observers to allow the state diplomats between China and Japan to handle issues of territory on their own way, and let diplomats do their job. Till then, its important we be realistic, and focus on progress-oriented mechanisms.

I end this with a reiteration of my main theme: War between Japan and China is out of the option and will never happen.

Regards.

War does not mean one on one. War also means being US ally and participate on other front. As the things are going between the US versus China, from here to several years.

Do away with the US nuclear umbrella if you can. Other than that you will be dragged to war with a nation who opposes you till the UNSC.

Don't be emotional and talk of the past relations coupled with civilization reference. Germany had a same civilization that of other European member states who fought them being US allies.

You have to be practical.

Back
Top Bottom