What's new

Japan should see China as partner, not threat: Chinese ambassador to Japan

War does not mean one on one. War also means being US ally and participate on other front. As the things are going between the US versus China, from here to several years.

Do away with the US nuclear umbrella if you can. Other than that you will be dragged to war with a nation who opposes you till the UNSC.

Don't be emotional and talk of the past relations coupled with civilization reference. Germany had a same civilization that of other European member states who fought them being US allies.

You have to be practical.

My friend but a war between Japan and China is exactly what US strategists want. In fact i have discussed this with American academics before , although i must admit the Americans , with their words of sophistries, try to argue of the role Japan has in 'fighting with America' against dangers in the 'Asian Mainland'. One couldn't help but smile at their sense of righteousness in such dialectics, however, LOL.

Pleasantries aside, my friend, that basically means Japan has a role in being the 'Meat Shield' for US forces in a climactic battle with this 'unnamed' enemy, lol.

We must not permit the frost to turn to hard ice. We must become fully aware of its harmful and weakening effects and make an effort to check it. Now the foreign western powers, spurred by the desire to wreak havoc on the region, are daily prying into the region's territorial waters. And without our own domain.

Many problems or issues in East Asia (as well as Middle East) is caused or stirred up by US. Without US meddling in Taiwan Strait in 1950s, China and Taiwan are already reunited. Without US meddling in Tibet, Dala Lama would not exile to India and become anti-China activist.

Take the Diaoyu/Senkaku Island disputes between China and Japan as an example. In 1979, when Chinese president Xiaoping Deng visited Japan and hold talks with Japan’s prime minister, they agreed that Diaoyu/Senkaku Island problem should be left for the next generation to solve, because they knew there was in fact no way to solve the territory problem as it involves the sovereignty of a country. They should look forward and develop economical relationships and set aside the Island problem right now.

However, with the “Pivot to Asia” policy to containing the rising China, US stirred up troubles in Diaoyu/Senkaku Island in order to deteriorate the relationship between China and Japan, because US knew that this is a “sensitive” problem between the two countries.

Unfortunately, U.S. still has military bases and troops in Japan, which means to some extent, Japan still has to obey the will of US even if it goes against Japan’ national interest. This can be read from the book titled “Japan can say no to US” written by Ishihara Shintaro.

To my personal view, the relationship between China and Japan cannot be that good in the near future as Japan’s foreign policy is largely affected by US. But it is also highly unlikely to break out a war between China and Japan, as most of the politicians and citizens of these two countries are educated and “sensible”. If the war broke out, these two countries would both greatly suffer and the only winner is US.

War does not mean one on one. War also means being US ally and participate on other front. As the things are going between the US versus China, from here to several years.

Do away with the US nuclear umbrella if you can. Other than that you will be dragged to war with a nation who opposes you till the UNSC.

Don't be emotional and talk of the past relations coupled with civilization reference. Germany had a same civilization that of other European member states who fought them being US allies.

You have to be practical.

Japan would not have no legal obligation in a war fought by the US in the Asian theatre, especially if it is against an absolute nuclear power like China. In such a situation, China would invite all neighbors to remain neutral and, other than a suicidal regime, who would like to get involved?

Admittedly, given the level of infiltration of the US into Japanese national affairs, Washington would place pressure for compliance and even stage some false flags, but, I think the national sentiment would be overwhelming to preserve neutrality and peace at home.

Other than civilizational relationship (which you somehow belittle), China and Japan have deep economic integration and do not compete over natural resources. Most of the disputes that were existent between Germany and the rest of Europe before the war are nonexistent between China and Japan. Most importantly, we do not have ideological antagonism; neither of us is trying to convert the other. We are both deeply non-interventionist and development-oriented.

Besides, imagining a China-Japan proxy war on the heels of China-US full scale war is utterly unrealistic because there has never been large scale war between nuclear powers. Tensions will always be here to stay between China and the US; but they will never boil over to a war and never oblige countries to choose a side.

To my personal view, the relationship between China and Japan cannot be that good in the near future as Japan’s foreign policy is largely affected by US. But it is also highly unlikely to break out a war between China and Japan, as most of the politicians and citizens of these two countries are educated and “sensible”. If the war broke out, these two countries would both greatly suffer and the only winner is US.

Very analytically put, my friend. As @Nihonjin1051 pointed out many times before, I believe Japanese politicians are not entirely blind to the national (Japan's non-normal status) and regional situation (US-led antagonisms), although they may not be vocal about their actual feelings/thought. But, I am sure, at high level meetings between decision-makers of China and Japan, this dynamic and understanding is present and recognized. This is, obviously, lost to foreigners.

@TaiShang

Besides, imagining a China-Japan proxy war on the heels of China-US full scale war is utterly unrealistic because there has never been large scale war between nuclear powers. Tensions will always be here to stay between China and the US; but they will never boil over to a war and never oblige countries to choose a side.

Source: https://defence.pk/threads/japan-should-see-china-as-partner-not-threat-chinese-ambassador-to-japan.418725/page-2#ixzz3xsS043Qr

That being the case (no war), how would China annex Formosa. If there will be war, the US will jump into the fray. They have their flat tops ready in that region. That's where Japan might get sucked in.

As for the Taiwanese, no Taiwanese Premier would like to come up with "Unification" plan and lose his/her seat. Most people of Taiwan want to maintain status quo and itching for producing an atomic device clandestinely.

Once Taiwan goes nuclear, China's annexure dreams thrown overboard, its claim, however rightful, gets forfeited.

That being the case (no war), how would China annex Formosa.

That's going to happen organically. In that sense, the status quo will continue for the foreseeable future. Our thinking is: Taiwan is not going anywhere. Neither is the Mainland. The disagreement between Taiwan, China and the Mainland China is one of political. Hence, the solution will be political, as well.

If there will be war, the US will jump into the fray. They have their flat tops ready in that region.

There won't be a war. The entire world recognizes one-China principle, including the US and Japan. Taiwan, China will not be declaring independence because it will be condemned and left alone by the rest of the world who does not recognize it as a state. In the United Nations, the entire Chinese nation (Greater China) is represented by Beijing. Taiwan is a geographic area and economy, not a polity. Just as Hong Kong is.

What the US has in the region does not matter to China. Even forcing our imagination and seeing Taiwan declaring independence and China annexing it forcefully and the US sending over naval assets and engaging into war with China, that would be suicidal because China has nuclear triad. Conventional war is impossible between nuclear powers because it might quickly escalate into nuclear war.

That's where Japan might get sucked in.

Japan recognizes one-China under Beijing. Therefore, if Taiwan declares independence, to support Taiwan, Japan has to declare it has quit the one-China agreement (two important historical documents signed by Japan and China). That is also suicidal. The disagreement between China and Japan is not over Taiwan. It is over Diaoyudai/Senkakus.

As for the Taiwanese, no Taiwanese Premier would like to come up with "Unification" plan and lose his/her seat. Most people of Taiwan want to maintain status quo....

I live here. We know what we want and we show it by travelling between the two sides at a greater rate, say, between two cities of India. We are still more united than some parts of India, realistically speaking. The level and magnitude of our existing unification is not visible to foreigners. What you can see is political disagreement only. But both the Constitutions of Taiwan, China and Mainland, China say there is only one China and we are living witnesses of it everyday, practically.

Why would we do that? 1/4 of all our export sales goes to China. China is home to Japan's overseas hard production / manufacturing; home to over 4200 Japanese businesses. LOL!

Only an imbecile would really take seriously these sensationalist media articles of Japan-China hate mongering ! Come on, dude. Only the naive and deluded of minds takes such yellow journalism seriously.

You know I always thought unicorns were real.... Now I have confirmation. lol, read my post again. Only an imbecile would take such a post seriously.

1. There will be no war involving Taiwan
2. Japan will maintain neutrality in relations to Taiwan, in context to security issues with the Mainland
3. Japan, despite US coaxing, has persistently and constantly remained neutral in regards to Taiwan , out of respect for the Sino-Japan Treaty of Peace and Friendship of 1978.

Why would we do that? 1/4 of all our export sales goes to China. China is home to Japan's overseas hard production / manufacturing; home to over 4200 Japanese businesses. LOL!

Only an imbecile would really take seriously these sensationalist media articles of Japan-China hate mongering ! Come on, dude. Only the naive and deluded of minds takes such yellow journalism seriously.
I don't think in person Chinese would hate Japanese. But Japan is a democratic country. Japanese elected their representatives who go on paying their respect to war criminals who inflicted enormous harm to Chinese people. Then the hate goes straight back to Japanese people. After all, they represent Japanese. Ordinary Japanese couldn't care less about foreign policies but in the end, it is going to be themselves to suffer the consequence of their representatives' conscious actions.

An after thought. I think that is why politicians love democracy. If they screw up, it is people's fault, not theirs. :)

You know I always thought unicorns were real.... Now I have confirmation. lol, read my post again. Only an imbecile would take such a post seriously.

lol, i know, but i wanted to clarify for the silent readers. :)

I don't think in person Chinese would hate Japanese. But Japan is a democratic country. Japanese elected their representatives who go on paying their respect to war criminals who inflicted enormous harm to Chinese people. Then the hate goes straight back to Japanese people. After all, they represent Japanese. Ordinary Japanese couldn't care less about foreign policies but in the end, it is going to be themselves to suffer the consequence of their representatives' conscious actions.

An after thought. I think that is why politicians love democracy. If they screw up, it is people's fault, not theirs. :)

Yes, in principle i completely agree with you.

What China poses to Japan is more of an opportunity than a threat. Let's face it, the island and maritime dispute have no chance to break a war between two trade booming and economily flourishing neighbours. China has absolute no intention to invade Japan, and I dont think Japan wants to wage a war to a nuclear armed and militarily rising China. I suspect Mr. Abe is using China as an excuse to release the strains posed by US after WWII. Although political relationship and national sentiment between the two is tensed, there's no actual provocative activity from PLA nor from JSDF. On the other hand, Mr. Abe put forward many strategies to"cope with China threat", yet his real move was to strive for as many independency as he can for Japan. I think the US gov may not view Mr. Abe as an obediant ally privately, and once Japan could ever get rid of US grip, Japan will turn more neutrual between US and China or maybe even sort of "pro China" in US eyes, and the US will not be happy with that then they'll try everything to keep Japan in hand and aviod any major political concession, so they will just stir up sensitive issiues and pull the string, make subtle and vague promise yet fulfil them half-heartedly.

What China poses to Japan is more of an opportunity than a threat. Let's face it, the island and maritime dispute have no chance to break a war between two trade booming and economily flourishing neighbours. China has absolute no intention to invade Japan, and I dont think Japan wants to wage a war to a nuclear armed and militarily rising China. I suspect Mr. Abe is using China as an excuse to release the strains posed by US after WWII. Although political relationship and national sentiment between the two is tensed, there's no actual provocative activity from PLA nor from JSDF. On the other hand, Mr. Abe put forward many strategies to"cope with China threat", yet his real move was to strive for as many independency as he can for Japan. I think the US gov may not view Mr. Abe as an obediant ally privately, and once Japan could ever get rid of US grip, Japan will turn more neutrual between US and China or maybe even sort of "pro China" in US eyes, and the US will not be happy with that then they'll try everything to keep Japan in hand and aviod any major political concession, so they will just stir up sensitive issiues and pull the string, make subtle and vague promise yet fulfil them half-heartedly.

You are very sharp, my friend! Are you specialized in East Asian policy ? :)

During this time, around the early to mid 1950s, your country's greatest statesman, Zhou Enlai, once appraised on the imposition of the 1951 Washington-Tokyo Treaty of Mutual Defense as one that posed a threat to Japanese security and national independence and had no qualms about appealing to Japanese nationalist sentiment in support of his positions.

In fact, Zhou said that the PRC leadership understood that the peace and security treaties had been forced upon Japan by the United States in cooperation with a "traitorous" group of reactionaries in the Japanese government who had put the Japanese in the "unprecedented national danger (minzoku kiki)" of being involved in another war of aggression by "shamelessly selling out the state's independence and sovereignty."

Zhou's appeal to Japanese nationalist sentiment was a carefully targetted rhetorical strategy. In a conversation with Yoshida , Zhou once told him , and Yoshida would write about it in his journals, about how the security treaty seemed to be a continuation of the American occupation and included the danger of involving the Japanese nation in another self destructive war with the Soviets (which were the threat at the time).

It seems that during that time, there were factions in the LDP who were in the position of Japan forming a strategic security pact with PRC. In fact this was actually the direction of policy from 1960s all the way up to the late 1970s. This would change with the Reagan administration in the early 1980s.

In other words, buddy, Japan is not "100% Pro America", only a naive fool would think so. Japan sees America as a threat to national sovereignty, more than Chinese, actually. The predicament we are in is having to change constitutional legislative laws that have been set in place (ironically it was written by Americans) since the end of the war , which had severely limited Japan's foreign policy abilities.

In other words, the proverbial "chain" America has on Japan is historical. A means to control the "vanquished" enemy, Imperial Japan, from being a threat to American Pacific Hegemony.

:)

Oh , did i say it so directly? lol. I suppose i did.

Back
Top Bottom