What's new

Japan Inc. to speed up China exit in response to more tariffs

Viet

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Viet Nam
https%3A%2F%2Fs3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com%2Fpsh-ex-ftnikkei-3937bb4%2Fimages%2F3%2F1%2F9%2F7%2F21997913-7-eng-GB%2FRTX2QMEM.jpg

Sony has been examining production relocation and price hikes for a variety of products, including the PlayStation 4 game console, in case the U.S. introduces additional tariffs against Chinese-made goods. © Reuters

TOKYO -- Having prepared for the prospect of additional U.S. tariffs on Chinese goods, Japanese corporations with factories in China are expected to move faster in shifting production out of the country now that Washington has decided to escalate the trade war.

The U.S. announced Thursday that a 10% duty on roughly $300 billion in Chinese goods will take effect on Sept. 1. President Donald Trump said the duty can be increased in stages and that tariffs "can be lifted to well beyond 25%."

This fourth round of tariffs would cover a broad range of products, including smartphones, game systems and clothing.

Nintendo, which currently assembles most of its Switch game systems in China, has begun moving production to Vietnam and intends to boost its output further in the Southeast Asian nation.

Sony's production of its PlayStation 4 game console, cameras and other products could be affected by the tariffs. The company has already been studying steps such as relocating production and hiking prices, so it will likely make decisions depending on the situation. At its earnings briefing at the end of last month, Senior Vice President Naomi Matsuoka said that she hopes to keep the operating profit impact of the fourth round of tariffs at less than 10 billion yen ($94 million) this fiscal year.

Sharp subsidiary Dynabook builds all of its notebook computers in China, but Sharp said it will consider moving production to its own facilities in Vietnam or to plants of Taiwanese parent Hon Hai Precision Industry -- commonly known as Foxconn -- if the fourth round of tariffs is implemented.

Kyocera assembles copiers and multifunction printers for the U.S. market in China, and Europe-bound products in Vietnam.

"We will switch production between Chinese and Vietnamese facilities," Kyocera President Hideo Tanimoto told reporters on Friday, after the U.S. announced the fourth round of tariffs, which cover copiers and multifunction printers. The move is expected to cost up to several billion yen.

Ricoh moved production of U.S.-bound multifunction printers to Thailand from China at the end of last month, and is looking at building those products for the Japanese and European markets in China instead of Thailand.

Asics' shoes will be subject to the latest tariffs. "The impact of the tariffs will be negligible," said President Yasuhito Hirota. "But I am concerned about slowdowns in the U.S. and Chinese economies."

The U.S.-China trade frictions have crimped corporations' appetite to invest. Panasonic's sales of motors, sensors and other devices used in production equipment have declined as clients hold off on capital investment. The company believes that investment may cool further due to the fourth round of tariffs.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Economy/Tra...eed-up-China-exit-in-response-to-more-tariffs

Foxconn wants to sell the new $8.8 billion display factory in Guangzhou. Unlikely anyone would buy it given the trade war. It’s best when Foxconn packs the factory in containers and send to Vietnam.

:-) Win win

Foxconn wants to sell the new $8.8 billion display factory in Guangzhou. Unlikely anyone would buy it given the trade war. It’s best when Foxconn packs the factory in containers and send to Vietnam.

:-) Win win

Don't you think you're getting too greedy.Look your infrastructure is already getting crushed by the weight of such massive relocation,your regulations don't allow for direct ownership of land(at least i heard) and you're on trump's radar now that he has called you a worst abuser than China

It is not possible for any one country to absorb all or even a large portion of the manufacturing that shifts from China.

So be nice and let Pakistan have some as well:D:D:D:D

They Should Come To Pakistan.CPEC Was Made For This Day.
No offense but Cpec is a scam.
The project is designed to bring maximum benefits to China, not Pakistan. They sell you all made-in-China stuffs, bring in chinese workers, eat chinese chicken rice, chinese loans. chinese are smart people :)

Don't you think you're getting too greedy.Look your infrastructure is already getting crushed by the weight of such massive relocation,your regulations don't allow for direct ownership of land(at least i heard) and you're on trump's radar now that he has called you a worst abuser than China

It is not possible for any one country to absorb all or even a large portion of the manufacturing that shifts from China.

Donald Trump seeks to source $550 billion of goods from other countries instead of China. In theory, it’s possible but practically it’s impossible for us in a short period of time. Yes you are right the cake is big enough :cool: Pakistan has great products like mango :-)

Actually ,CN factories r not so wellcomed in VN, we even beat up Cnese in 2014 conflict....but they still come to VN and make us run out of workers instead of Pak and they just simply ignore Trump's threat to VN.

VN really want CN factories move to Pak instead of VN. Traffic jam is everywhere in VN big Cities now and make us quite tired when moving on the streets.

No offense but Cpec is a scam.
The project is designed to bring maximum benefits to China, not Pakistan. They sell you all made-in-China stuffs, bring in chinese workers, eat chinese chicken rice, chinese loans. chinese are smart people :)

No Offence Taken But I Strongly Disagree With Your Claim That CPEC Is A Scam.You Have To Be In Pakistan To See and Feel The Benefits Of CPEC.

Thanx To Chinese Investment We Have More Power Than We Need,Brand New 6-Lane Motorways and 2 Deep Sea Ports and Now In This Phase W Will Upgrade Our Railway Network and Establish Industrial Zones

No Offence Taken But I Strongly Disagree With Your Claim That CPEC Is A Scam.You Have To Be In Pakistan To See and Feel The Benefits Of CPEC.

Thanx To Chinese Investment We Have More Power Than We Need,Brand New 6-Lane Motorways and 2 Deep Sea Ports and Now In This Phase W Will Upgrade Our Railway Network and Establish Industrial Zones
But thats the debt and u have to pay back, and if investors dont come, then u can not pay back but losing the port like Sri lanka

Those power stations, highways are not free. You have to pay back in one way or another. I don’t see chinese do something more useful like transfer of technology, strengthening manufacturing and industrial sectors, neither export processing nor supporting Pakistan private enterprises.

Correct me if I am wrong

The $60 billion something are spent on made-in-China stuffs, paying chinese workers, paying loan interests, paying propaganda, hotels, visits, meals, etc

But thats the debt and u have to pay back, and if investors dont come, then u can not pay back but losing the port like Sri lanka
Those power stations, highways are not free. You have to pay back in one way or another. I don’t see chinese do something more useful like transfer of technology, strengthening manufacturing and industrial sectors, neither export processing nor supporting Pakistan private enterprises.

Correct me if I am wrong

The $60 billion something are spent on made-in-China stuffs, paying chinese workers, paying loan interests, paying propaganda, hotels, visits, meals, etc

OK Few Things We Know It Is Debt CPEC Was Never Supposed To Be A Charity.It Was Supposed To Be Debt and FDI On Commercial Terms.And This Has Resulted In Pakistan Massively Improving It's Infrastructure.And This Is A Myth That Chinese Sends All It's Workers.Most Of The Labour Is Local As Are The The Subcontractors.

Now In This Phase Chinese Will Relocate Industries.

OK Few Things We Know It Is Debt CPEC Was Never Supposed To Be A Charity.It Was Supposed To Be Debt and FDI On Commercial Terms.And This Has Resulted In Pakistan Massively Improving It's Infrastructure.And This Is A Myth That Chinese Sends All It's Workers.Most Of The Labour Is Local As Are The The Subcontractors.

Now In This Phase Chinese Will Relocate Industries.
Ok

However without

transfer of technology

investment in Pakistan manufacturing and industrial sectors

export processing

private enterprises

those high priced infrastructure by China won’t bring too far.

Chinese are materialistic people. They want to make money.

Actually ,CN factories r not so wellcomed in VN, we even beat up Cnese in 2014 conflict....but they still come to VN and make us run out of workers instead of Pak and they just simply ignore Trump's threat to VN.

VN really want CN factories move to Pak instead of VN. Traffic jam is everywhere in VN big Cities now and make us quite tired when moving on the streets.

You should protest against your government instead of whining here. your government decides on foreign investment. Funny to see Vietamese keep fixating on China, what's wrong with you? don't your own country have lots of problems to care about? Don't you see Vietmese keep flooding Chinese border illegally? don't you help out your fellow folks? period.

You should protest against your government instead of whining here. your government decides on foreign investment. Funny to see Vietamese keep fixating on China, what's wrong with you? don't your own country have lots of problems to care about? Don't you see Vietmese keep flooding Chinese border illegally? don't you help out your fellow folks? period.
Whinning?? Do I care if a jobless guy like u read my comments or not ??

No, I dont care, okay.?? Get a job, and stop talking nonsense here. I dont reply u anymore

Whinning?? Do I care if a jobless guy like u read my comments or not ??

No, I dont care, okay.?? Get a job, and stop talking nonsense here. I dont reply u anymore
Are you talking about yourself, you are the only two Viets that jump in every Chinese related thread and start talking trash, you should get a job.

Back
Top Bottom