What's new

Japan Economy Forum

not for me.

halal food is one thing, but when the burqas move in, i move out.

on the other hand, give me some fat voluptuous japani lady tour-guides, for my kind of halal tourism :D

Please do! Soon, Indonesian friends will be able to come to Japan without visas. Here's to our two countries' friendship! :cheers:

:cheers:

I always admired Japan. Japanese work ethic, electronics and vehicles.. and of course because I grew up watching Japanese anime and Tokusatsu as well. :woot:

Several years ago, a muslim Japanese woman visited my house. She was doing a doctoral research and my grandmother was one her source she interviewed. I only remember her name, Satomi and she's from Kyushu. She left a good impression that makes me want to visit Japan someday.

:cheers:

I always admired Japan. Japanese work ethic, electronics and vehicles.. and of course because I grew up watching Japanese anime and Tokusatsu as well. :woot:

Several years ago, a muslim Japanese woman visited my house. She was doing a doctoral research and my grandmother was one her source she interviewed. I only remember her name, Satomi and she's from Kyushu. She left a good impression that makes me want to visit Japan someday.

Wonderful ! Indonesia is very near and dear to our hearts. :-)

Dr. Satomi must have left a very positive reflection on you -- that you even still remember her !

Wonderful ! Indonesia is very near and dear to our hearts. :-)

Dr. Satomi must have left a very positive reflection on you -- that you even still remember her !

She's a nice person and to my surprise she speaks fluent Indonesian. I was expecting she would speak in English or using an interpreter but No. LOL.

Nihonjin do you know mighty crown or barrier free music ?
sorry off topic

:yahoo::chilli:Yes . Nice sound sammy t & his brother simon with Ninja .Barrier free also are Nice .

:-)

OT : what kind of research was she doing, btw?

Something about muslim woman and their role in education in Indonesia. My grandmother was head of Aisyiyah branch in the regency. Aisyiyah is a wing organisation of Muhammadiyah focus on woman empowerment and education.

Aisyiyah

Last edited:
Japanese SMEs now favor Philippines over Thailand

THE Tokyo branch of the Metropolitan Bank & Trust Co. (Metrobank) said the political situation in Thailand has prompted some Japanese businesses to transfer their offices in Thailand to the Philippines.

Metrobank Tokyo Manager Takeshi Odaka said there are some serious concerns in Thailand that made some Japanese businessmen relocate their offices or factories from Thailand to the Philippines.

Odaka said one of the reasons was the tight labor market, with an unemployment rate that has long been below 1 percent in Thailand. He said there were also problems on rising labor costs and unstable manpower, and the difficulty of securing locations in industrial parks with sufficient facilities.

“There’s an insufficient protection against natural disasters. Flooding is a routine in Thailand, and is getting worse in recent years,” he said in an e-mail sent to the BusinessMirror.

“Besides, fewer reinsurance companies accept coverage against flooding damages,” he said, which means that “your investment will be hardly protected.”

“Yes, you are right; unstable political environments. The Philippines is better positioned relative to the other Asean [Association of Southeast Asian Nations] rivals when you see comprehensively in these aspects and so on,” Odaka added.

Some Japanese banks are clearly eager to enter into the booming Philippine market.

“The number of tie-ups between Metrobank and Japanese regional banks is still growing rapidly, currently it counts 60 banks in addition to two government policy banks in Japan, thanks to increasing interest of investment among Japanese,” he added.

Rizal Commercial Banking Corp. (RCBC) President Lorenzo V. Tan said factors like the military rule in Thailand prompted some of the Japanese companies to move their factories to the Philippines.

“We’ve been talking to new Japanese clients moving some of their facilities from Thailand to the Philippines. They are mostly in the manufacturing industry like electronics. Some make parts for airplanes and electronics parts of cars. They are SMEs [small and medium enterprices] that supply the big Japanese corporations,” he said in an earlier interview.

Tan added that they made 36 new Japanese clients over an 18-month period, as a result of a combination of partnership with Resona Bank and partnership with Okasan Securities Group Inc.

Those partnerships have produced good results. They have Japanese clients and Japanese funds by Philippine equities through the RCBC Securities Inc.

He added that more Japanese companies will relocate in the Philippines because of combination of Abenomics and good relationship between the Philippine and Japanese governments.

BusinessMirror - Japanese SMEs now favor Philippines over Thailand

Thailand+1: key step for Japan producers

Japanese companies can adopt the "Thailand+1" strategy to tap the growing opportunities in the Greater Mekong Subregion, an investment seminar was told yesterday.
Kiminori Iwama, economic minister of the Japanese Embassy in Bangkok, told the seminar organised by the Board of Investment and Nikkei Business Publication that

the National Council for Peace and Order had given importance to

economic issues and now there were many positive signs such as improving consumer confidence, while there is a revival of interest in the country among foreign investors.

However, as higher wages and labour shortages continue to be of concern to Japanese investors, "Thailand+1" has emerged as a new strategy deployed by Japanese companies to relocate their labour-intensive businesses from Thailand to its neighbouring countries and develop linkages with their major production bases here.

Udom Wongviwatchai, secretary-general of the BoI, said the extension of parts and raw materials sourcing networks to neighbouring countries under the Thailand+1 strategy would help strengthen the competitiveness of Thai industries, which have already been an important production base for Japanese companies.

Hiroyuki Aitani, managing director of Abeam Consulting Thailand, said Japanese companies should use Thailand as their base to expand to Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Vietnam (CLMV) and form joint ventures with Thai companies to invest in CLMV countries rather than going there alone.

CLMV countries shared many similarities with Thailand, including culture and religion, while their consumers - many of whom go to work in Thailand - are also very familiar with Thai products.

Investors should not look at just the macroeconomic figures, as that would give the wrong picture on the true potential of Thailand and CLMV economies.

"The averaged figures are going to mislead you. Don't just look at the tip of the iceberg," he said.

In Thailand's case, there are shoppers having problems finding enough taxis at Asiatique, the new luxury shopping mall called Central Embassy and the aggressive expansion of the Lawson convenience store chain.

Bangkok has already succeeded Tokyo in shops per population with a ratio of 24:15 in 7-Eleven convenience stores. Honda dealers are also close to Tokyo at 1.2:0.7. The consumer confidence index, after plunging to a 12-year low a month ago, has also recovered to 75.1 points in June.

But with its ageing society, Thailand has to increase its research and development spending from 0.25 per cent of gross domestic product.

"With the minimum wage [raised], we can't secure labour forces [if they can't work more productively]," he said.

Tomonao Iwasaki, general manager of Yusen Logistics (Thailand), said Japanese retailer Aeon recently opened its mall in Phnom Penh, which would import about half of its goods from Thailand.

There is still "a long way to go" to materialise the economic integration vision for the CLMV region, he said, citing road conditions, customs regulations and other logistics obstacles persisting in the countries.

"[Despite the] economic corridor [vision], we have no industrial road. We need special economic zones but local people are against them. We are still far on the way to [economic] integration," he said.

Thailand+1: key step for Japan producers - The Nation

Last edited:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom