What's new

Japan Economy Forum

オセアニアを歴訪中の安倍総理大臣は、ニュージーランドのキー首相と会談し、TPP(環太平洋経済連携協定)の早期妥結を目指すことや経済面での協力を強化することで一致しました。

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and his New Zealand counterpart, John Key, confirmed at their meeting here on Monday that the two countries will work hard together for an early conclusion of Trans-Pacific Partnership multilateral free trade negotiations.

They agreed that the envisioned TPP pact will strengthen trade and investment across all 12 participating countries including Japan, New Zealand and the United States, according to sources with access to the bilateral summit.

The TPP negotiations are "entering an endgame," Abe told a joint press conference after the meeting. "We will continue working to conclude a comprehensive and high-standard agreement at an early date."

Japan, New Zealand leaders confirm cooperation for TPP

Why are these Western pigs part of the deal? They only ever sign things that benefit themselves at your expense.

New Zealand is anxious to sell / export their agricultural goods, and they have long been a partner / buyer of Japanese electronics. One of their issues was the ultra-protectionist policies of Japan, and they have a point. Its good to open the markets , this will increase integration and at the same time expose Japanese agrarian goods to potential partners.

New Zealand is anxious to sell / export their agricultural goods, and they have long been a partner / buyer of Japanese electronics. One of their issues was the ultra-protectionist policies of Japan, and they have a point. Its good to open the markets , this will increase integration and at the same time expose Japanese agrarian goods to potential partners.

They are looking to put Japanese farmers out of business and harm your food security so they can use this as leverage on other issues. Ask the Maori how honest these pigs are.

To be honest, the importation of foreign agricultural goods are necessary. It will be beneficial for the average Japanese family who could do well to afford much cheaper goods. I'm a firm believer of allowing the market take its course and removal of excessive protectionist policies. Given, Japanese standards is a wee bit excessive.

To be honest, the importation of foreign agricultural goods are necessary. It will be beneficial for the average Japanese family who could do well to afford much cheaper goods. I'm a firm believer of allowing the market take its course and removal of excessive protectionist policies. Given, Japanese standards is a wee bit excessive.

Yes, but this can be done without relying on exploitative countries such as America, NZ and Australia. You can diversify to Latin America and Southeast Asia, etc.

Yes, but this can be done without relying on exploitative countries such as America, NZ and Australia. You can diversify to Latin America and Southeast Asia, etc.

The TPP takes into consideration those said plausible markets. Your comments suggests your lack of understanding and explosure of the TPP [Trans-Pacific Partnership]. I suggest you read more into it, then we can talk again.

1280px-TPP_enlargement.png

Like I said, Australia, NZ and North America have no place in such an agreement if you expect it not to be exploitative. These are countries with obscene agricultural subsidies that have a well-earned reputation for destroying domestic markets.

Their presence excludes my comment. You are not trading with SEA or Latin America, but a heavily diluted pool polluted by these three nations.

Japanese SMEs now favor Philippines over Thailand

THE Tokyo branch of the Metropolitan Bank & Trust Co. (Metrobank) said the political situation in Thailand has prompted some Japanese businesses to transfer their offices in Thailand to the Philippines.

Metrobank Tokyo Manager Takeshi Odaka said there are some serious concerns in Thailand that made some Japanese businessmen relocate their offices or factories from Thailand to the Philippines.

Odaka said one of the reasons was the tight labor market, with an unemployment rate that has long been below 1 percent in Thailand. He said there were also problems on rising labor costs and unstable manpower, and the difficulty of securing locations in industrial parks with sufficient facilities.

“There’s an insufficient protection against natural disasters. Flooding is a routine in Thailand, and is getting worse in recent years,” he said in an e-mail sent to the BusinessMirror.

“Besides, fewer reinsurance companies accept coverage against flooding damages,” he said, which means that “your investment will be hardly protected.”

“Yes, you are right; unstable political environments. The Philippines is better positioned relative to the other Asean [Association of Southeast Asian Nations] rivals when you see comprehensively in these aspects and so on,” Odaka added.

Some Japanese banks are clearly eager to enter into the booming Philippine market.

“The number of tie-ups between Metrobank and Japanese regional banks is still growing rapidly, currently it counts 60 banks in addition to two government policy banks in Japan, thanks to increasing interest of investment among Japanese,” he added.

Rizal Commercial Banking Corp. (RCBC) President Lorenzo V. Tan said factors like the military rule in Thailand prompted some of the Japanese companies to move their factories to the Philippines.

“We’ve been talking to new Japanese clients moving some of their facilities from Thailand to the Philippines. They are mostly in the manufacturing industry like electronics. Some make parts for airplanes and electronics parts of cars. They are SMEs [small and medium enterprices] that supply the big Japanese corporations,” he said in an earlier interview.

Tan added that they made 36 new Japanese clients over an 18-month period, as a result of a combination of partnership with Resona Bank and partnership with Okasan Securities Group Inc.

Those partnerships have produced good results. They have Japanese clients and Japanese funds by Philippine equities through the RCBC Securities Inc.

He added that more Japanese companies will relocate in the Philippines because of combination of Abenomics and good relationship between the Philippine and Japanese governments.

While this would be good for both side, I just really hope that our government should consider relaxing the restrictions on the economy so that more investors will come here without having second thoughts due to the restriction over the ownership and create jobs so that everyone or at least, many people here in the Philippines would be able to find decent job.

While this would be good for both side, I just really hope that our government should consider relaxing the restrictions on the economy so that more investors will come here without having second thoughts due to the restriction over the ownership and create jobs so that everyone or at least, many people here in the Philippines would be able to find decent job.

This would be a positive sign and bring a vote of confidence from us!

The TPP takes into consideration those said plausible markets. Your comments suggests your lack of understanding and explosure of the TPP [Trans-Pacific Partnership]. I suggest you read more into it, then we can talk again.

1280px-TPP_enlargement.png
I think yesterday you said, you didn't like the double standards that Japan is placed in by China.

You are right, it is unfair, but actions have consequences and one of those is that we have a troubled relationship.

But that's been said to death. And frankly I don't want to discuss Korea.

Since this is about economy, may I ask why is China excluded? I think you know why, whatever reason US gave, because of involving such nations as Vietnam, Peru, it makes it all void.

US is trying to exclude China, Japan knows it, you know it. US won't succeed, that's too big of a topic, so I'll keep it short.

Japan is taking a stand and it is not by our side nor is it neutral.

I'm not going to make any further judgement, what is your thought, and frankly, how do you think a Chinese looking at this map will think? Do you really approve of some of Japan's moves including this one, if what you said of good relations is true.

I think yesterday you said, you didn't like the double standards that Japan is placed in by China.

You are right, it is unfair, but actions have consequences and one of those is that we have a troubled relationship.

But that's been said to death. And frankly I don't want to discuss Korea.

Since this is about economy, may I ask why is China excluded? I think you know why, whatever reason US gave, because of involving such nations as Vietnam, Peru, it makes it all void.

US is trying to exclude China, Japan knows it, you know it. US won't succeed, that's too big of a topic, so I'll keep it short.

Japan is taking a stand and it is not by our side nor is it neutral.

I'm not going to make any further judgement, what is your thought, and frankly, how do you think a Chinese looking at this map will think? Do you really approve of some of Japan's moves including this one, if what you said of good relations is true.

The Trans Pacific Partnership originally started out as the P3-CEP (Pacific Three Closer Economic Partnership) which was included Singapore, New Zealand and Chile. It eventually grew and became the TPP after other nations expressed desire to join this Pacific Partnership, namely the United States.

Japan's decision to join the talks was just this past year in December of 2013. And this was after a heavy debate in the Diet, considering Japan's protectionist regards to foreign imports. Japan's decision to commit to joining the TPP should be understood as a necessary compliment to efforts to stimulate the Japanese economy with monetary easing and the related depreciation of the Yen.

In regards to China, well, originally China was against the TPP. However, it has expressed an interest to be included, and I don't think there is any problem with China joining it, in fact, it would probably benefit the entire group.

BOJ: 2% inflation goal on course

The Bank of Japan on Tuesday maintained its basic projections that the country’s economy will achieve the central bank’s 2 percent inflation target in 2015.
At the end of a two-day monetary policy meeting, the bank’s Policy Board also voted to hold steady its policy of boosting the monetary base at an annual rate of ¥60 trillion to ¥70 trillion in order to achieve the inflation goal.

The central bank left unchanged much of its projections on the economy and prices over the three years through fiscal 2016, which ends in March 2017, unveiling the outcome of an interim review of its semiannual Outlook for Economic Activities and Prices report released in April.

The median projections among the central bank’s nine board members, excluding extreme projections, say the core consumer price index, excluding fresh food, will increase 1.9 percent in fiscal 2015 if the direct impact of consumption tax hikes, including one planned for October 2015, is excluded. The figure was unchanged from the April forecast.

The median CPI projection excluding the tax hike impact was for a 1.3 percent rise for fiscal 2014 and a 2.1 percent rise in fiscal 2016, both unchanged from the April projections, the bank said.

The median forecast of real gross domestic product growth for fiscal 2014 was revised down to 1.0 percent from 1.1 percent.

Economic growth and core CPI changes “will likely be broadly in line with the April forecasts,” the central bank said in a statement released after the monetary policy meeting.

On the current state of the economy, the bank kept intact its view that the economy “has continued to recover moderately as a trend.” The effects of a decline in demand following the April consumption tax increase from 5 percent to 8 percent “are expected to wane gradually,” the bank said.

The central bank predicted that core consumer inflation is likely to stay below 1.5 percent “for some time.” But the Bank of Japan was confident about the inflation target, saying, “Inflation expectations appear to be rising on the whole.”

Kuroda vows continued easing

Growth in consumer prices in Japan is likely to reach the Bank of Japan’s target of 2 percent in or around fiscal 2015, which will start next April, Bank of Japan Gov. Haruhiko Kuroda said Tuesday.

“Inflation is likely to reach 2 percent in the middle of the BOJ’s current economic projection period [from fiscal 2014 to fiscal 2016],” Kuroda said at a press conference. “Inflation will not fall below 1 percent,” he stressed.

Kuroda vowed that the BOJ will continue monetary easing as long as necessary to achieve the inflation target.

BOJ: 2% inflation goal on course - The Japan News

Japan manufacturers' mood points to moderate economic recovery: Reuters Tankan

(Reuters) - Confidence among Japanese manufacturers held steady for a second straight month in July and is seen likely to edge up, a Reuters poll found, offering further evidence of sentiment gradually recovering from April's sales tax hike.

Reflecting weak private consumption, the service-sector mood including retailers slid in July, but it is seen rebounding over the next three months, according to the Reuters Tankan poll of 400 big firms between June 30 and July 14, of which 280 replied.

The Reuters Tankan, which closely correlates with the Bank of Japan's key tankan survey, supports the central bank's view that the economy is on track for a moderate recovery.

"Service-sector sentiment is weak, likely reflecting bad weather and a delayed recovery from the sales tax hike in some areas such as household appliances," said Yuichiro Nagai, economist at Barclays Capital in Tokyo.

"But given an expected improvement in their sentiment, firmness in manufacturers' mood, and recent positive indicators, the economy is likely to resume growth in the current quarter after a contraction in April-June," he said.

However, the lack of a growth engine clouds the economic outlook, with companies expressing their concerns about a big drop in demand after the April 1 sales tax hike and stagnant exports - particularly to China.

"Our sales dropped more than expected in May and June in reaction to the sales tax hike. The Chinese market remains sluggish as well," a chemicals firm said in the Reuters poll.

"The U.S. economy is firm but the world economy on the whole lacks momentum, particularly with the Chinese economy likely to remain sluggish for a long time," a nonferrous metal firm said.

Companies including oil refiners and food manufacturers blamed the high costs of oil and raw materials for squeezing their profits, while some others said they were facing supply constraints, such as labour shortages, that have delayed construction work.

In the Reuters Tankan, the sentiment index at manufacturers stood at plus 19, unchanged from June. The service-sector gauge was at plus 23 in July, down 6 points from the prior month.

Indexes are calculated by subtracting the percentage of pessimistic responses from optimistic ones.

The indexes for manufacturers and non-manufacturers are expected to improve to plus 21 and plus 29 respectively in October, meaning that optimists far outnumber pessimists.

The last BOJ tankan showed on July 1 that big manufacturers' mood soured in the three months to June but was seen improving in the current quarter, with large firms planning to raise capital spending more than initially estimated this fiscal year.

That finding did not quite tally with core orders for machinery falling a record 19.5 percent in May from the previous month in a highly volatile data series that is, however, regarded as an indicator of capital spending in the coming six to nine months.

The BOJ stuck to its massive monetary stimulus at a policy review on Tuesday. It trimmed its economic growth forecast for this fiscal year as exports remain weak and household spending tumbled after the sales tax rise.

The bank's nine-member board maintained its inflation projections and stuck to their view that the economy would continue recovering moderately as the impact of the tax rise faded.

Japan manufacturers' mood points to moderate economic recovery: Reuters Tankan| Reuters

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom