What's new

Japan Defence Forum

Japan, U.S. to update defense cooperation guidelines in April

Japan and the United States are expected to adopt updated bilateral defense cooperation guidelines in late April, when Prime Minister Shinzo Abe plans to visit the United States, Japanese government officials said Sunday.

The revised guidelines are expected to provide for greater support to U.S. forces by the Self-Defense Forces.

The two countries see adoption as feasible in April because the ruling coalition is expected to achieve a certain agreement on Abe’s new security legislation, including expanded roles for the SDF, informed sources said.

Japan and the United States are expected to hold a meeting of their foreign and defense ministers in Washington before Abe and U.S. President Barack Obama hold a summit to adopt the revised guidelines.

Japan, U.S. to update defense cooperation guidelines in April | The Japan Times

VFA-27 improves readiness with Japan Air Self-Defense Force
DVIDS - News - VFA-27 improves readiness with Japan Air Self-Defense Force

1817277.jpg

150224-N-ZZ999-200 (Feb. 24, 2015) An F/A-18E (left) of the "Royal Maces" of Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 27 flies in formation with two Japan Air Self-Defense Force F-15J Eagles during a dissimilar air combat training near Okinawa, Japan. VFA-27 is part of Carrier Air Wing 5 and forward-deployed to Naval Air Facility Atsugi, Japan. (U.S. Navy photo by Cmdr. Spencer Abbot/Released)

OKINAWA, Japan -- The “Royal Maces” of Strike Fighter Squadron 27, an FA-18E Super Hornet squadron forward-deployed to Naval Air Facility Atsugi, Japan, concluded a Dissimilar Air Combat Training (DACT) detachment in cooperation with the Okinawa-based Japan Air Self-Defense Force (JASDF) 204th Fighter Squadron, flying the F-15J Eagle, Feb. 23-25.

DACT allows pilots to fly against and with different platforms to increase their readiness and interoperability.

“We work frequently with the 204th and other JASDF units during exercises while aboard the aircraft carrier USS George Washington [CVN 73] and often host representatives from JASDF units aboard the ship to help coordinate our combined operations,” said Royal Maces’ Commanding Officer, Cmdr. Spencer Abbot. “This type of unit-level detachment provides the opportunity for us to brief and debrief face-to-face with our counterparts, offering a valuable chance to enhance our readiness to operate together in the event of a crisis.”

A recent New York Times article noted the important role that the 204th squadron plays in patrolling the airspace around Okinawa.

“By enhancing our mutual understanding of our respective procedures and tactics, we can seamlessly integrate our operations when required,” said VFA-27 pilot Lt. Jeff Bolstad.

The detachment also allowed the participating pilots to compare notes on the training programs and personnel policies of the armed forces of each country.

“Despite coming from different countries and cultures, our experiences and outlook have far more in common than not, and we enjoyed the chance to compare perspectives on life in fighter aviation in both Japan and the United States,” said Lt. Andrew Moore from the Royal Maces.

Lt. Chris Nigus, an experienced Mace pilot, commented, “We’re grateful for the opportunity to fly the Navy’s newest strike-fighters in Japan and throughout the Asia-Pacific region. Training opportunities like these make service in the Japan-based Forward-Deployed Naval Forces one of the best jobs in the Navy. The pilots of the 204th were superb hosts, and we thoroughly enjoyed the chance to fly together.”

The permanent forward-deployed status of the Royal Maces as part of Carrier Air Wing 5, the U.S. Navy’s only air wing permanently stationed overseas, facilitates engagement opportunities with Japan and other key partners in the region.

“As a grateful past participant in a Personnel Exchange Program assignment with a foreign military, I strongly support opportunities for our pilots to brief, fly, and debrief alongside counterparts from Japan and other regional partners,” said Abbot. “Japan’s Self-Defense Force is extremely professional and capable and combined exercises like this at the unit level present a valuable learning experience for all involved. A shared understanding of procedures and tactics on both sides can pay significant dividends in the event that we find ourselves working together in a response to a contingency or crisis.”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Nihonjin1051

掃海母艦 うらが型

ペルシャ湾派遣の教訓を取り入れて建造された掃海母艦。補給・指揮設備といった母艦としての機能が大幅に強化された
ほか、広大なヘリ甲板などの航空掃海支援設備、水中処分員用の減圧室が設けられている。また機雷敷設機能も有しており
敷設から掃海までの機雷戦を総合的に指揮・展開する能力を持っている。物資搭載力を生かして災害派遣での使用も想定さ
れているため充実した医療施設を備え、通路などの艦内スペースも余裕を持った設計となっている。

DSC05333A[1].jpg

DSC05333A[1].jpg

DSC05317[1].jpg

DSC05337SA[1].jpg

DSC05328A[1].jpg

DSC00509A1[1].jpg

DSC09811[1].jpg

DSC09813SA[1].jpg

DSC03813_1[1].jpg

Japanese Self-Defense Force Scout Sniper
Soldiers with the Japan Ground Self-Defense Force (JGSDF) and U.S. Marines with the 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit (13th MEU) participate in Scout Sniper training during Exercise Iron Fist 15 (IF 15), aboard Camp Pendleton, California. IF 15 is an annual bilateral training exercise the U.S Marines and the Japan Ground Self-Defense Force, designed to increase interoperability and enhance military-to-military relations. IF 2015 marks the 10th year of the exercise. (U.S. Marine Corps Motion Imagery by Sergeant Sgt. James Pauly | 1st Marine Division - Combat Camera / RELEASED)

Japanese Self-Defense Force Scout Sniper
Soldiers with the Japan Ground Self-Defense Force (JGSDF) and U.S. Marines with the 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit (13th MEU) participate in Scout Sniper training during Exercise Iron Fist 15 (IF 15), aboard Camp Pendleton, California. IF 15 is an annual bilateral training exercise the U.S Marines and the Japan Ground Self-Defense Force, designed to increase interoperability and enhance military-to-military relations. IF 2015 marks the 10th year of the exercise. (U.S. Marine Corps Motion Imagery by Sergeant Sgt. James Pauly | 1st Marine Division - Combat Camera / RELEASED)

Hopefully they'll be unleashed to fight terrorism...soon... ;)

transparent.gif

いま、守るとき。キミはおうちの平和を守りぬけるか!?
自衛隊公認スマホゲームアプリ「自衛隊コレクション(Jコレ)」が登場!
キミの任務はおうちの防衛。フィギュアになった自衛隊を操作して、ミッションをクリア
せよ!
装備コレクションに職種診断も楽しめます。

平成27年3月9日(月)川崎重工業株式会社神戸工場において、潜水艦「こくりゅう」
の引渡式・自衛艦旗授与式が行われました。
 潜水艦「こくりゅう」は、「そうりゅう」型潜水艦の6番艦として建造されました。
今後は、横須賀に所在する第2潜水隊群に編入され、国防の任に就きます。

:D:D:D:D:D:D

平成27年3月9日(月)川崎重工業株式会社神戸工場において、潜水艦「こくりゅう」
の引渡式・自衛艦旗授与式が行われました。
 潜水艦「こくりゅう」は、「そうりゅう」型潜水艦の6番艦として建造されました。
今後は、横須賀に所在する第2潜水隊群に編入され、国防の任に就きます。

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Officially commissioned:yahoo:. Welcome to the JMSDF こくりゅう (hope that's right, supposed to be Black Dragon or Kokuryū)!

Here's her leaving port as a commissioned hunter killer.... ;)

The music seems so old-timey, it's kind of funny, but :o::smitten:does the Soyru-Class look amazing!!! So sleek and sensual. Is that the shipyard where the sub was built? If so that's got to be the most non-shipyard looking shipyard ever. It looks just like any ordinary seafront industrial district. Without an outgoing submarine, I would never have noticed that it is a military shipyard.

Is that a snorkel sticking out of the tower? Or is it some kind of sensor? @SvenSvensonov , Kia would you help me with this (why am I tagging you, I can just ask you in person:laugh:)?

Happy hunting!!!

Last edited:
The music seems so old-timey, it's kind of funny, but :o::smitten:does the Soyru-Class look amazing!!! So sleek and sensual. Is that the shipyard where the sub was built? If so that's got to be the most non-shipyard looking shipyard ever. It looks just like any ordinary seafront industrial district. Without an outgoing submarine, I would never have noticed that it is a military shipyard.

Is that a snorkel sticking out of the tower? Or is it some kind of sensor? @SvenSvensonov , Kia would you help me with this :-)lol:why am I tagging you, I can just ask you in person)?

Happy hunting!!!

Anna,

What makes me even happier is a recent picture of the JS Izumo's sister ship on the construction yard. She's going to be slightly larger than her sister the Izumo. This one will be roughly around 30,000 tonnes. :D:D:D:D:D

I'm so in love with this sexy, beautiful vivacious lady....

0aeb28e8353ea9f25e7d2ccd6707bd2a[1].jpg

Btw, Kia and I have a cute term for the girls as "The Twins" :lol:

Back
Top Bottom