What's new

Janes : UK to retire Tranche 1 Typhoons with more than half of airframe hours remaining

F-6 enthusiast

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
08 SEPTEMBER 2021

UK to retire Tranche 1 Typhoons with more than half of airframe hours remaining
by Gareth Jennings

The UK's recently revealed plan to prematurely retire its Tranche 1 Eurofighter Typhoon combat aircraft will see the fleet axed with more than half of its airframe fatigue life remaining, the government said on 7 September.

Having earlier intended to retain 24 of its Tranche 1 Typhoons out to 2040, the UK will now retire them in 2025 with more than half of their airframe hours remaining. (Janes/Patrick Allen)

Having earlier intended to retain 24 of its Tranche 1 Typhoons out to 2040, the UK will now retire them in 2025 with more than half of their airframe hours remaining. (Janes/Patrick Allen)
Answering questions in the House of Commons, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Defence, James Heappey, said that the Tranche 1 Typhoons that were earmarked for early retirement in the Defence Command Paper published on 22 March would be retired with an average of nearly 60% of their airframe fatigue lives remaining.

“There are 30 Typhoon Tranche 1 aircraft in the sustainment fleet and the projected average flying hours for each of the aircraft, when they reach their respective out-of-service date, is 2,544.8 flying hours,” Heappey said.

With the Typhoon notionally rated to an airframe life of 6,000 hours, 2,544.8 hours represent just 42.4% of airframe use. With this figure being averaged out across the fleet, a number of the more recently delivered aircraft will have flown significantly fewer hours than this. Of the 53 Tranche 1 aircraft received by the Royal Air Force (RAF), 30 remain in the inventory. Of these, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) told Janes that 20 are in active service while the remaining 10 are in storage.

Source UK to retire Tranche 1 Typhoons with more than half of airframe hours remaining (janes.com)

Typical western hype. First they brag how these expensive plane are cutting down maintenance fee and time compare to old plane. When it failed, they will brag how sophisticated these planes are worth the high price to pay.

Then reality strike when these supposed new plane retired very early due as none of those promised fulfilled.

I still remember some ignorant member try to convince others the great benefit of getting these typhoon at all cost. LOL..

08 SEPTEMBER 2021
UK to retire Tranche 1 Typhoons with more than half of airframe hours remaining
by Gareth Jennings

The UK's recently revealed plan to prematurely retire its Tranche 1 Eurofighter Typhoon combat aircraft will see the fleet axed with more than half of its airframe fatigue life remaining, the government said on 7 September.

Smart and logical move. Nothing beats -35 and UK's already adopted these so it makes sense to get more of those. -35 ensure air supremacy and allow UK to be the big dog in EU. EFT's allow them to just have a "potent" fighter with 50-50 chances of losing it in a fight. The cost of upgrading these is a lot and these still wouldn't come near -35's standards.

These can serve some other nation really well.

Forget DACT, even with AIM-120C5s these are very potent A2A birds.
the kinematic performance is good. Launching a missile from a higher altitude and at a higher speed increases the probability of K
Plus they can supercruise with a meaningful payload.

I wonder if these can be upgraded with CAPTOR-E radar ?

@Zarvan wants T3/T4s. Get this T1 garbage out of here.

Sir, My mistake. I was actually hoping, even with a slim chance, to convince him to settle for T1 at the moment. After all, UK Foreign Secretary & Mi-6 Chief, have been meeting Pakistani counterparts recently. I thought may be they can upgrade these with minimum charges in lieu of our help in evac from Afghanistan. @Zarvan bhai, what do you say? They are not garbage bhai. Bilal Sahib is merely diverting our attention.

Smart and logical move. Nothing beats -35
it has a very high running cost. Much more than any EFT will have. UK has decreased the number of F-35 it plans to acquire. I am not questioning the capabilities of the lightning II. It excels in sensor fusion (giving better situational awareness).

Back
Top Bottom