What's new

J-XY - maybe J-35 - next generation carrier-borne fighter

I don't believe J14 actually exist, simply because in Chinese 14 can be pronounced as "yao si" which sounds similar to "want to die". Although PLA is not superstitious, it is still not a preferred number.

Thus we have only J10, J11, J12 (cancelled project), J15 and J16. And before this, we have J6, J7, J8 and J9 (cancelled project).

Last edited:
what do you say about the hidden CAC another 5th gen fighter ..... what was its name j-14 or something like that ?????

wasn't it FC-31 vs j-14 ????

To admit we should take much more care not to mix expectations, rumours and esp. fan-arts, faked images and false CGs with the real fifth generation carrier project.

AFAIK the J-14-designation is a hoax.

Empty Weight: 14 tons
Maximum Takeoff Weight: 28 to 30 tons
Internal Fuel: 7 tons
Armament Load: 8 tons, including external loads
Loadout Configuration: Air Superiority (6X medium range AA missiles or 4X long range AA missiles), Ground Strike (12X Small Diameter Bombs, or 4X 500kg laser guided bombs, or 4X anti-radiation missiles)
Powerplant: 2X WS-13E rated at 90kN max thrust each, later replaced by WS-19 rated at roughly 110kN each

- Capable of limited supercruise
- Low radar and IR signature design
- Advanced sensors and fusion of battlefield information, networking with ships and planes
- Based on modified J-31 design
- First flight around late 2019 or early 2020
- WS-19 will be upgraded later to increase thrust and adding thrust vectoring

https://lt.cjdby.net/thread-2461769-1-1.html

That's all according to a poster pb, known as one of the insiders.

Sounds logical but WS-19 thrust of 110kn sounds a high goal to set.

GE F414 EPE is rated at 120kN max thrust. Considering WS-19 is China's next generation medium thrust engine, it's not at all surprising.

GE F414 EPE is rated at 120kN max thrust. Considering WS-19 is China's next generation medium thrust engine, it's not at all surprising.

To admit in his case I fully agree with @Beast, ... even if I can understand your point, 120 kN for an engine in the medium thrust / medium size class is a word, especially since it is not far away from the current WS-10-thrust level albeit at a smaller size.

I do not want to assume it's impossible but IMO harder to achieve than 160+ for the WS-15.

Empty Weight: 14 tons
Maximum Takeoff Weight: 28 to 30 tons
Internal Fuel: 7 tons
Armament Load: 8 tons, including external loads
Loadout Configuration: Air Superiority (6X medium range AA missiles or 4X long range AA missiles), Ground Strike (12X Small Diameter Bombs, or 4X 500kg laser guided bombs, or 4X anti-radiation missiles)
Powerplant: 2X WS-13E rated at 90kN max thrust each, later replaced by WS-19 rated at roughly 110kN each

- Capable of limited supercruise
- Low radar and IR signature design
- Advanced sensors and fusion of battlefield information, networking with ships and planes
- Based on modified J-31 design
- First flight around late 2019 or early 2020
- WS-19 will be upgraded later to increase thrust and adding thrust vectoring

https://lt.cjdby.net/thread-2461769-1-1.html

That's all according to a poster pb, known as one of the insiders.

2019-2020 for a first flight, huh? I realize that it's a very quick time frame, but, as I'm sure @Deino can understand, our patience hates to be tested!

To admit in his case I fully agree with @Beast, ... even if I can understand your point, 120 kN for an engine in the medium thrust / medium size class is a word, especially since it is not far away from the current WS-10-thrust level albeit at a smaller size.

I do not want to assume it's impossible but IMO harder to achieve than 160+ for the WS-15.
It is very likely using high 3D printing method and advance metallurgy, the weight of these new plane can further cut down on weight to offset the lesser thrust engine while maintain the same thrust to weight ratio compare to western countries.

Just like VT-4 tank using a 1200/1300hp domestic engine but still has the same weight to hp ratio compare to western M1A2, Leopard 2 and Challenger II using 1500hp.

New rumored details of the J-XY: (from pb19980515)

1. Its weight requirements are extremely strict; apparently the design team is not allowed to add even a ton of extra weight.
2. It will receive a 100-110 kN turbofan from the start and may be upgraded with an even more powerful engine later on.
3. It will be able to provide guidance information to naval munitions including the new YJ-18
4. Estimated entry-into-service ~2024-2025.

Other notable things mentioned in the thread (same as the one posted above) is that the upgraded J-15, EW J-15, the J-XY, and KJ-600 will all make their maiden flights by the end of 2019 (or early 2020).

PB does mention the following:
还有其他海航部队的型号,总量在XXX架
Can somebody translate that portion? It seems to be hinting that other branches of the PLAN (naval land-based aviation?) might operate the J-XY fighter as well.

Given the latest flight tests there's an interesting post at the SDF adding some interesting hints thru the commentary provided by Angadow...

Angadow: if this happened in the last few days, it's probably because a potential client was evaluating it
Someone: navy?
Angadow: PLAN has already finished with their evaluations!

So, who could be this potential client if it is not the PLAN?
Pakistan, Saudis?

By the way, wasn't there a report that NA decided to make a fly-off between both naval contenders?

Deino

Given the latest flight tests there's an interesting post at the SDF adding some interesting hints thru the commentary provided by Angadow...

So, who could be this potential client if it is not the PLAN?
Pakistan, Saudis?

By the way, wasn't there a report that NA decided to make a fly-off between both naval contenders?

Deino

There has never been a "fly-off" in the history of Chinese aviation. All configurations and projects are decided at the concept stage.

There has never been a "fly-off" in the history of Chinese aviation. All configurations and projects are decided at the concept stage.

Indeed and therefore the big surprise when these reports popped up a few weeks ago.

Navalized FC-31. Anyone know the source of this CG?

185834u8q6vpq9mge37de1.jpg

Thrust is not the most important indicator of an engine's technology. TWR, SFC (specific fuel consumption), inlet temperatures, air-flow, and number of HPC stages are all more important. Often times, increasing thrust is very difficult ...

Indeed. 120 is pretty overkill for FC-31 sized aircraft ... if we go by AVIC numbers, the WS-10 thrust range is from 120 kN to 140 kN, so the WS-19 would therefore be a large thrust engine.

Back
Top Bottom