What's new

J-31: Production model in three years from now i.e. late 2019

war&peace

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Better Than the F-35: China Elite J-31 Stealth Fighter Jet to Perform at Airshow © Wikipedia

TECH 01:08 12.09.2016(updated 01:09 12.09.2016) Get short URL 07730 The Aviation Industry Corporation of China (AVIC) will bring the Y-20 cargo aircraft and J-31 stealth fighter to the city of Zhuhai in Guangdong province once again for the airshow set to take place in November. © SPUTNIK/ ALEXEY KUDENKO Russian Helicopters Hopes to Clinch New Contracts at Farnborough Airshow Both planes made their public debut at the 10th China International Aviation and Aerospace Exhibition, or Zhuhai airshow, in 2014. The much-touted J-31 stealth multirole aircraft, developed by Shenyang Aircraft corporation, did perform a demonstration flight at the biennale, but aside from that was kept away from western media. However, the fighter is believed to have high potential as an export aircraft and is being marketed as a competitor to the F-35 by AVIC officials. AVIC's plan is to have a J-31 production model first flight in three years from now.

Read more: https://sputniknews.com/science/20160912/1045203573/j-31-zhuhai-airshow.html

@Windjammer @Bilal Khan (Quwa) @Indus Falcon @Bilal Khan 777 @waz @MastanKhan @Doordie @Major d1 @Oscar

Last edited:
As we have seen the news of Pakistan's official interest in Su-35 Russia 4.5 gen air superiority A/C, the news of J-31 going into production within next three years makes things interesting. It is believed that PAF that has expressed its interest in J-31 as the candidate for its next gen platform through a JV with China.

Hi,

If there is a production model coming---then there must be a buyer as well.

Yeah this is an interesting news and comes at the time when Pakistan officially expressed interest in Su-35. Now the question is that if we can get a 5th gen in about 3-4 years, will it is be wise to get a few squadrons of 4.5 gen A/C.

As we have seen the news of Pakistan's official interest in Su-35 Russia 4.5 gen air superiority A/C, the news of J-31 going into production within next three years makes things interesting. It is believed that PAF that has expressed its interest in J-31 as the candidate for its next gen platform through a JV with China.

Yeah this is an interesting news and comes at the time when Pakistan officially expressed interest in Su-35. Now the question is that if we can get a 5th gen in about 3-4 years, will it is be wise to get a few squadrons of 4.5 gen A/C.

Hi,

Yes---without a complimentary 4.5 gen---the 5th gen aircraft may not be utilized to its fullest.

What????

J-31 production was scheduled in 2024
Now the news claims that in three years i.e. 2019-20 as the production year and it is surprising since we did not hear much about J-31 program and I thought China's main priority was J-20. However it seems they have done quite a lot development keeping a low-profile.

Hi,

Yes---without a complimentary 4.5 gen---the 5th gen aircraft may not be utilized to its fullest.
as per @SinoSoldier it won't be a ready for combat model until 2025 and then of course we a 4.5 gen A/C since I believe that no airforce will be flying 5th gens only but upgraded versions of current 4.0, 4+ and 4.5 gens will also be flying along side their next gen siblings till 2040 at least.

LRIP in 2019, IOC in 2022, and FOC in 2025.

Last edited:
Note that the aforementioned dates (2019, 2022, 2025) factor in the assumption that external interest (and hence funding) has been already obtained.

It remains unknown if any nation has committed to the FC-31 yet.

Now the news claims that in three years i.e. 2019-20 as the production year and it is surprising since we did not hear much about J-31 program and I thought China's main priority was J-20. However it seems they have done quite a lot development keeping a low-profile.

as per @SinoSoldier it won't be a ready for combat model until 2025 and then of course we a 4.5 gen A/C since I believe that no airforce will be flying 5th gens only but upgraded versions of current 4.0, 4+ and 4.5 gens will also be flying along side their next gen siblings till 2040 at least.

Hi,

Just roll back time and see when the first production of the F22 and F35 started and how much time it has taken to overcome the problems and issues--and then integration.

But then that is the U S aircraft industry---too many versions of the F35 etc etc etc.

For china---they would have learnt a great deal from the american experience---. The chinese will do it like they are doing it on the J20---. Build and produce---learn to operate the aircraft and other paraphernalia and when the engine is ready---move the old one out---install the new one in and just keep on moving forward---.

Same / similar principal being applied to the J31 as well. I believe that the first fully integrated and operational squadron would be deployed between 12---15 years from now---ready for battle.

So---that time period by itself leaves room for a 4.5 Gen aircraft---.

At least for the next 20 years---5th gen aircraft won't be a common sight---. It will come down to haves and have nots---.

The nations that can get it---and the nations that want it and cannot get it---and the nations---that simply cannot get it---regardless---.

Hi,

Just roll back time and see when the first production of the F22 and F35 started and how much time it has taken to overcome the problems and issues--and then integration.

But then that is the U S aircraft industry---too many versions of the F35 etc etc etc.

For china---they would have learnt a great deal from the american experience---. The chinese will do it like they are doing it on the J20---. Build and produce---learn to operate the aircraft and other paraphernalia and when the engine is ready---move the old one out---install the new one in and just keep on moving forward---.

Same / similar principal being applied to the J31 as well. I believe that the first fully integrated and operational squadron would be deployed between 12---15 years from now---ready for battle.

So---that time period by itself leaves room for a 4.5 Gen aircraft---.

At least for the next 20 years---5th gen aircraft won't be a common sight---. It will come down to haves and have nots---.

The nations that can get it---and the nations that want it and cannot get it---and the nations---that simply cannot get it---regardless---.

Hey sir,
But that's a long time since most of them are putting around 2025 to be operational date for the 5th gen i.e. around 9-10 from now but I think getting great 4.5 gens is absolutely necessary. Furthermore, it is still not clear if PAF is going J-31, TFX or kind of some blended route or may be totally with J-20 ... I think PAF may go TFX route since it comes with western avionics (BAE) and engine (Rolls Royce) and it can be highly customised for them since they will join TAI as partners and invest in the program right in the beginning and they may keep J-31 alive also (if they can afford but putting some token money like 100 - 200 million dollars. Turkey has got first hand experience from F-35 and they will try to apply it to TFX. It may also be possible that we up for a total surprise as if Pak-Russia get a deal signed for 4.5 gen A/C and as India is moving to US camps, Pak-Fa it may decide to leave that project or Russia may offer some modified version of it for JV with Pakistan.

and that bring another interesting point that the countries that do not have 5th gen A/C due to financial reasons etc will at least be looking for tech to counter them i.e. the anti-stealth technology and that is very much possible that in few years modern radars are able to detect stealth A/C and thus making this them obsolete or not so advantageous and that where 4.5 retrofitted or upgraded with new radars can be very competitive and rather get an edge in terms of payload and range.
These are different scenarios, hypothetical right now, but surely have the merits to turn into reality.

Hey sir,
But that's a long time since most of them are putting around 2025 to be operational date for the 5th gen i.e. around 9-10 from now but I think getting great 4.5 gens is absolutely necessary. Furthermore, it is still not clear if PAF is going J-31, TFX or kind of some blended route or may be totally with J-20 ... I think PAF may go TFX route since it comes with western avionics (BAE) and engine (Rolls Royce) and it can be highly customised for them since they will join TAI as partners and invest in the program right in the beginning and they may keep J-31 alive also (if they can afford but putting some token money like 100 - 200 million dollars. Turkey has got first hand experience from F-35 and they will try to apply it to TFX. It may also be possible that we up for a total surprise as if Pak-Russia get a deal signed for 4.5 gen A/C and as India is moving to US camps, Pak-Fa it may decide to leave that project or Russia may offer some modified version of it for JV with Pakistan.

Hi,

I think that Turkey is a NOT a safe bet for a 5th gen aircraft for PAF---. China is the best bet---remember---china is building to face the U S---so all investment is chinese---pakistani presence would be token---if they cam bring something to the game well and good otherwise---enjoy the ride---.

With Turkey---a lots of influence from europe and the U S---why take the risk---for and aircraft and its EW suite---. J31 is predictable---. We need to start to learn to go with predictable end products---.

For the russian 5th gen--pakistan does not have the funds to invest---. That project may fail anytime---.

China is the best partner for a 5th gen for pakistan.

Now as for the haves and have nots---we all know that there are always simple solutions to complex problems---it just finding them.

Stealth will not stay stealth always---cloaking devices will be uncloaked---Captain Kirk always found a way around the problem and Klingons got beat up---.

In this weapons game---just always remember this---china has to build weapons to compete and beat the U S---either today---tomorrow---or the next day---. If the chinese have them---we will get them---. You cannot rely on anyone lese---.

The blood lines have been drawn----from now till the CPEC gets fully operational---there will be major hurdles for pakistan to get the much needed weapons.

Last edited:
Hi,

I think that Turkey is a NOT a safe bet for a 5th gen aircraft for PAF---. China is the best bet---remember---china is building to face the U S---so all investment is chinese---pakistani presence would be token---if they cam bring something to the game well and good otherwise---enjoy the ride---.

With Turkey---a lots of influence from europe and the U S---why take the risk---for and aircraft and its EW suite---. J31 is predictable---. We need to start to learn to go with predictable end products---.

For the russian 5th gen--pakistan does not have the funds to invest---. That project may fail anytime---.

China is the best partner for a 5th gen for pakistan.
So Su-35s and J-31 are future of PAF..yeah I think you are right...China has money and motivation while Turkey may opt in favour of F-35 and drop its own program after facing difficulties.

So Su-35s and J-31 are future of PAF..yeah I think you are right...China and has and motivation while Turkey may opt in favour of F-35 and drop its own program after facing difficulties.

Hi,

There does not seem to be any other way around it---. And as for the Date of the J31---just remember INTEGRATION---. The time needed to integrate a brand new system---the growing pains---there is no way to go around it.

Hi,

There does not seem to be any other way around it---. And as for the Date of the J31---just remember INTEGRATION---. The time needed to integrate a brand new system---the growing pains---there is no way to go around it.
I think integration of weapons with 5th gen A/C may be more involved since those have to be inside the weapon bays ... I think that puts some limit on the size of the weapons.

I think integration of weapons with 5th gen A/C may be more involved since those have to be inside the weapon bays ... I think that puts some limit on the size of the weapons.

Hi,

It is not the weapons size persay---but it would be a totally different game plan and flight and combat rules---because most of the weapons are enclosed---so---you will be fighting differently---under a different scheme of engagement and disengagement---.

You will be able to fly much closer to the enemy's installations than you would in a regular aircraft---you will be able to control the weapons of a support aircraft flying some distance away---you will be able to launch them as well at your discretion without asking the other pilot---.

The 5th gen aircraft is going to bring totally different rules of air battle into the arena---. Their pilots and operators are not going to be your conventional pilots---their battle programming will be totally different than what we know of now for the 4th gen type aircraft---.

So---to best utilize the resource---Paf need to finalize the deal on the J31----. The sooner it gets on the band wagon---the sooner it will get itself into a position of strength.

Back
Top Bottom