What's new

J-31 is confirmed for export, export version model shown in Zhuanghai show

Wont purchase is different from cant operate.
IN this case, provided there is even a slight increase in funds the PAF may think on that policy.
After all, a 5th gen fighter that has the SAME engines as its mainstay(JF-17) is a very tempting offer.

The Chinese already have a good lineup.
There was one that was tested with the JF-17 which is on par with JHCMS(albeit with a few bugs).

You can't call a fighter with outdated RD-93s a 5th gen fighter.

why not ? :blink:

Does the RD-93 have supercruise? Is the RD-93 powerful enough (even with two of them) to power a powerful AESA radar, EW suite and other tech? Does the RD-93 have the required IR suppression? Does the RD-93 have thrust vectoring? The basic design is almost 40 years old guys-what do you expect? This engine was designed before 5th gen fighters were even on the drawing boards!

Outdated RD-93, but not WS-13.:azn: and who cares if its called 5th gen or 1st gen if it can evade enemy radars and shoot down their aircrafts.

You're right it's not about what it's called but about capabilities. And with the RD-93 any modern fighter is at a serious disadvantage.

Things always change, why PAF can't operate two engine fighters? I mean why not?

PAF would have NO twin engine fighter air craft until 2018 as a policy. We don't buy them because , the maintenance and operating costs are off the roof, Pakistan is a small country so we don't need long range capability for CAP and air strikes, ALL valuable targets in India can be bombed in minutes without having any planes air borne, and yes they are expensive to buy and we had no option to buy them in the past as the American F-15s were too expensive and Russians wouldn't sell flankers.

However, the situation would change after 2018. I have a feeling, that if CAC comes up with a single engine stealthy air craft PAF will again stick with that and wont consider the J-31. Again, its all too early..

PAF would have NO twin engine fighter air craft until 2018 as a policy. We don't buy them because , the maintenance and operating costs are off the roof, Pakistan is a small country so we don't need long range capability for CAP and air strikes, ALL valuable targets in India can be bombed in minutes without having any planes air borne, and yes they are expensive to buy and we had no option to buy them in the past as the American F-15s were too expensive and Russians wouldn't sell flankers.

However, the situation would change after 2018. I have a feeling, that if CAC comes up with a single engine stealthy air craft PAF will again stick with that and wont consider the J-31. Again, its all too early..

I might sound stupid, but the Q5 Fantans we operated had 2 engines. Am i right?

What happens after 2018 that would change the situation as you describe it?

What happens after 2018 that would change the situation as you describe it?

There, would be more options available, hopefully our economy will stabilize by then, and PAF's policy of only buying single engine fighters also expires that year. CAC however is believed to be developing a single engine 5th generation prototype, called J-2X, they presented the design to PAF recently. So, come 2018 our F-16s would be readying for replacement in next 5-7 years, F-35 will have its issues sorted out, we will find out if the US is willing to sell to Pakistan and IF or not we can pay for them, J-31 would have matured into an operational air craft, India would be amidst MMRCA and FGFA, integration so we would have the fresh threat analysis on how to balance our deterrent to the IAF's air power. Situation would be more clear and PAF would be in a position to take the right decision. BUT, if we don't change our political system and keep begging to run our economy that might just remain a pipe dream.

There, would be more options available, hopefully our economy will stabilize by then, and PAF's policy of only buying single engine fighters also expires that year. CAC however is believed to be developing a single engine 5th generation prototype, called J-2X, they presented the design to PAF recently. So, come 2018 our F-16s would be readying for replacement in next 5-7 years, F-35 will have its issues sorted out, we will find out if the US is willing to sell to Pakistan and IF or not we can pay for them, J-31 would have matured into an operational air craft, India would be amidst MMRCA and FGFA, integration so we would have the fresh threat analysis on how to balance our deterrent to the IAF's air power. Situation would be more clear and PAF would be in a position to take the right decision. BUT, if we don't change our political system and keep begging to run our economy that might just remain a pipe dream.

The F-35 is a non-starter as far as I can see.

Back
Top Bottom