What's new

J-10 with conformal fuel tanks in wind tunnel testing

Akasa

Reaction score
Country
Canada
This could possibly the FC-10 variant of the J-10A for export to Pakistan.

ssgcb.jpg

1jw8s.jpg

To be honest, I don't think Pakistan need a conformal fuel tank on their FC-20. It is not a very large country in terms of area and stands on defensive against its immediate rival India. Even their defence doctrine is one of minimal deterrance. The CFT will affect aerodynamic performance of J-10. If Pakistan intends to use FC-20 in air superiority role, I think they should stick with the saying "not a pound for air to ground".

China on the other hand, does need it. Its primary targets will be Japan, South China Sea and Taiwan. Extended range brought on by CFT will be useful.

I agree with that too.
Unless they want it as a deep strike single engine aircraft.
About the article you posted, I think I've seen it before from a Russian magazine.

To be honest, I don't think Pakistan need a conformal fuel tank on their FC-20. It is not a very large country in terms of area and stands on defensive against its immediate rival India. Even their defence doctrine is one of minimal deterrance. The CFT will affect aerodynamic performance of J-10. If Pakistan intends to use FC-20 in air superiority role, I think they should stick with the saying "not a pound for air to ground".

China on the other hand, does need it. Its primary targets will be Japan, South China Sea and Taiwan. Extended range brought on by CFT will be useful.

Yeah I agree. It also affects the RCS.

J-10 should have enough fuel for medium range missions.

No, I've never heard of this before.

I grabbed this from a different thread.

There's also this:

f7037ec4a1a29ff32e8d9091354a005f.jpg

also look at the third pic,which says FC-20 ,i think its just some fanboy stuff as the designs look amateur because the CFt's are coming in the way of canards and we know canards are movable thus this position of CFt will just lock the upper-backward movement of canards

also look at the third pic,which says FC-20 ,i think its just some fanboy stuff as the designs look amateur because the CFt's are coming in the way of canards and we know canards are movable thus this position of CFt will just lock the upper-backward movement of canards
not necessarily. in 3d, the canard angle of rotation would not be affected due to the airframe being curve. in the J10 when the canard turns, there is a gap between it and the body of the plane.

not necessarily. in 3d, the canard angle of rotation would not be affected due to the airframe being curve. in the J10 when the canard turns, there is a gap between it and the body of the plane.
I m not talking about the body of the J-10 rather i m referring to CFT's if you take a close look at the pic i mentioned the CFT is right above the back top of the canard ,so in order to move the canard backward-up then there will be a locked position

Our doctrine is OFFENSIVE defense not just defence of airspace.
For an example read abt PAFs pathankot(india) raids.

Upgrades are used to meet needs. It's not really a good idea to jump on something just because it is the latest and coolest / what other high-tech countries have. War is not a beauty contest.

Back
Top Bottom