What's new

It might be a dumb question to ask... is blue flame of J20 normal?

Gambit out of curiosity I found this post and this one is disgusting. I respect you and never expect such comments from a senior member like you. I believe you owe an apology to our Chinese members!

@wanglaokan you could have told me about it in personal message I think I have missed this line in that post. Gambit is a senior member but thats disgusting.
You think the Chinese members here are going to volunteer the ten times worse vile insults they leveled at me in the past ? You got suckered into believing they are innocents in this game. :lol:

I have read the previous one that was truly informative. But I wana know about F-414 as its a Hybrid engine and how this hybrid engine works as well as is it advantageous in front of other 2 types because it has genes from both types i.e. Turbo fan & turbo jet. If you could provide some info because I am turning towards you as you are probably the only known person to me who have hands on experience with USAF equipment so no one can provide insight like u does.
Since you are a polite person, I will take another effort to educate you the truth from the falsehoods based on ignorance the Chinese members here so often doled out.

Take a look at post 14, for starter...

that's why F18 sucks in Dog fighter? I mean F18 is never gonna be a great fighter.
You asked about the F414 being a 'leaky' engine design. The Chinese replied -- more like jumped to conclusion -- that it is a flawed design and that made the F-18SH 'sucks' as a dogfighter. What does he know about this subject ? Zilch.

Before you understand what is a 'leaky' turbojet engine, you should have a basic understanding of the differences between jet engine designs in the first place.

Remember this...???

jet_engine_civil_mil.jpg

Despite the great external differences between the airliner jet engine (middle) and the military jet engine (bottom), both of them are of the same basic design: turbofan.

The airliner jet engine is of the high bypass type, as indicated by the green fan assembly. The military jet engine design is of the low bypass type, and there is nothing externally to indicate that. What is 'bypass air' is the untreated air that travels outside the combustion chamber.

The turbojet design is where there are no bypass air at all. For all practical purposes, all intake air is channeled into the combustion chamber and treated. Thrust comes entirely from exhaust. So why do not all jet engines are off this design ? Because at low altitude and low speed, the lowered combustion process decreases the turbojet's stability, creating controllability issues, especially at takeoff/landing conditions. The turbojet is also known for high fuel consumption, making it financially unpalatable for airliners. So when you have a combination of higher operating temperature, higher fuel consumption, and low throttle stability issues, Boeing and Airbus will not be interested.

The compromise resulted in the turbofan design, high and low bypass air types.

Still...The goal for the military jet engine is the turbojet for its higher thrust and power. So when GE created the F414, that engine is so close to being a turbojet that despite it technically still a turbofan design, people called it a 'leaky' turbojet. The F414 is not a 'hybrid' engine. On a sliding scale between being a turbofan towards being a turbojet, the F414 is just a few increments away from being a turbojet. It is at least one generation ahead of what China have at this time, but more like two generations.

If there is such a thing as a hybrid engine, it is the J58 in the SR-71, and that engine came from the 1950s. The J58 is essentially low bypass turbofan in front of a ramjet. At operating status, the J58 more like sucks the SR-71 through the air than from thrusting the aircraft through the air.

Now...All we have to do is wait for a Chinese to complain that since I placed the American engine ahead of the Chinese engine, I did it for racist reasons and the mod will obediently delete this post. :lol:

Interesting and informative post 'Gambit'.

Makes you wonder how they manage to make these engines so efficient and reliable.......i mean just look at the number of external components, particularly on the military jet engine......the quality control, must be of the absolute highest order at these engine manufacturers!

Last edited:
J-20 is a beast!

It will make sure China dominates the Asia-Pacific region as China produces dozens of these babies through its industrial might and its massive economy.

Interesting and informative post 'Gambit'.

Makes you wonder how they manage to make these engines so efficient and reliable.......i mean just look at the number of external components, particularly on the military jet engine......the quality control, must be of the absolute highest order at these engine manufacturers!
A turbine (jet) engine is essentially an internal combustion engine, like the piston type in your car.

The great difference here is that for the piston -- reciprocating -- type engine, peak temperature is cyclical, meaning never constant, while the turbine have a constant peak combustion operating temperature. That put a lot of stress on the molecular structures of any material. So not only do we have different temperature modes, we have different peak temperatures as well. This put a premium on research on composites for the blades in the turbine engine. How hot do you want to go depends on how much can you afford.

You think the Chinese members here are going to volunteer the ten times worse vile insults they leveled at me in the past ? You got suckered into believing they are innocents in this game. :lol:
find me one

No one is innocent but out of any thing I respect you as I always read sane and informative posts from you and yes I have a certain criteria to whom I respect so when I saw them trolling or doing something I felt their image is tarnishing in my mind its not acceptable to me you can say those who I respect are like heroes to me.

Hi,

That should be by default---and also more power---.

@gambit comment might sound rough to you but that is the truth----the Chinese are standing at a juncture where the fighter jet aircraft engine is holding it back.

Gambit having the exposure that he has---knows very well what the Chinese would do---or the Indians or we the Pakistanis as well.

Trust me when a nation is in a make or break situation---there is a lots of unwanted stuff happening---the Chinese will not miss any opportunity----.

I understand Mastan Bhai but I know Gambit could have said it some other way but he was in some trolling mode :).

If there is such a thing as a hybrid engine, it is the J58 in the SR-71, and that engine came from the 1950s. The J58 is essentially low bypass turbofan in front of a ramjet. At operating status, the J58 more like sucks the SR-71 through the air than from thrusting the aircraft through the air.

Yes SR-71 I was thinking about its engine that it must be some Hybrid like ramjet with some other tech but I never searched it Thanks for another useful insight.

Now...All we have to do is wait for a Chinese to complain that since I placed the American engine ahead of the Chinese engine, I did it for racist reasons and the mod will obediently delete this post. :lol:

Hi,

I saw the SR71 at march ARB couple of months ago. One of the employees stated that the engine is in the after burner mode through out the flight. Did I hear that right!

Back
Top Bottom