What's new

It is confirmed Sri Lanka Air Force to buy JF-17s

AvmmF.jpg

I think this is what Jf - 17 can be converted. It got lots of potential to be a game changer.

you obviously missed my point. that notorious eagle guy said that you cant jump from kafr to su30 without having a jf17 as "transition". my reply was that you dont need any such "transition a/c"

Yes and NO.
You could jump directly to the Su-30 but you should expect results like the Saudi's had when they jumped up onto something much bigger than they could handle and ended up crashing it a lot initially till they finally got a hang of it.

A Transition aircraft allowed you to slowly grasp tech up the ladder and then attain a better understanding of it.
Moreover, the transition for engineers.. logistics.. runways..
Will also take a LOT more time.. and a LOT more effort.. with a LOT less chance for Success.
Infact.. they may encounter many issues that affected the TNI's Su-27 and 30 fleets..

Realistically , how many Su-30's could Sri-Lanka afford?
What will it to with a fighter that has 1500km combat range to defend a 65000km2 land mass?
What base will have to go massive upgrade to house the limited number of jets in terms of tarmac(susceptibility of AL-31 to FOD).
Where will it afford the logistics?

All these things count in transition..
No airforce has been slammed with brand spanking new generation jets without some transitional time UNLESS they can afford to throw the money around and spend Millions on foreign training for entire forces(ala UAE).
Here the SLAF is already a tiny fleet as compared to actual req.
A fighter like the JF-17(or second hand F-16's) would allow it to build up a minimum sized fleet for its defense needs that gives it a multi-role capability and perhaps even gets it investment(the CHinese are already ready to throw cash around in Sri Lanka).

There is not just one advantage here.
The SLAF has worked with the PAF and will get hands on experience with a people they are familiar dealing with.
They will be funded by the CHinese who will easily loan them the money..
and they get the best of both worlds in a small package.

win-win.

Congrats to China-Russia-Pakistan for winning the SL fighter contract!!

Congrats to China-Russia-Pakistan for winning the SL fighter contract!!

Not until you see a MoU signed with pictures.. which DO come out in events that involve Bilateral agreements with countries on weapons that CANNOT be left undeclared in international record keeping.
Wait for that.

But do you know where the fund goes! It goes to Sri Lankan Presidents bedroom and he uses the money to buy some Tamil girls.

Sri Lankan president isn't such a person, he is a decent polite man.
And also it will be really hard to find some cute Tamil girls, no offence.

..hey dont worry beast, India is with you on this :enjoy: ..... we dont want to supply Tejas but want Sri Lanka to buy JF 17.

You are right, LCA is far to expensive, FJ17 is Cheap :D

Why some Indians here crying telling it's Cheap etc etc so what ever it's a deal between us. Why Indians worry about it?

If true.... :victory:

I was looking at Sri Lanka's air force, and i happen to find K-8 on the list, an aircraft of yet another China-Pakistan development. 6 aircrafts makes sense because the ageing fleet such as Kifr is the same amount. I think with the Sri Lankan economy doing great now, they should look to increase military budget. We'll see when it happens but i'm very much hoping to see JF-17s in double digits in the future.

Question: I have not been keeping up much with JF-17

In a 2011 article defenseindustrydaily.com had an article on this stating that

1. This aircraft was replacing Pakistan and China to replace Chinese A-5C (massively modified MiG-19), F-7P (MiG-21+), and French Mirage 3/5 aircraft in Pakistan’s fleet.

2. It’s a comparable peer for India’s still-under-development LCA Tejas,

3. giving the aircraft an engine that is reliable and widely used, but known to leave smoke trails

4. China itself was not keen to induct wholeheartedly into their own air force ( have they now accepted it in large numbers or just a token show?)

5. That pakistan was looking for international partners of electronic and weapons package. ( did this happen?)

Did India designed LCA themselves....No helped by French, Israelis and US.
Did LCA got operational ......No
Did Kaveri got into production.......No let alone production it doesn't even work.
Did LCA got local avionics.......No mostly Israeli and French avionics.

Did India designed LCA themselves....No helped by French, Israelis and US.
Did LCA got operational ......No
Did Kaveri got into production.......No let alone production it doesn't even work.
Did LCA got local avionics.......No mostly Israeli and French avionics.

what does that have to do with my question. India LCA is a solo attempt . Chinese aircraft production is much further advanced . you can't compare the JF-17 production timeline to the LCA . and at no point was I comparing its timelines.

If Sri Lanka wants to buy JF-17, why are the Indians jumping mad around like monkeys in heat? Relax, they are not buying the planes against you, for you guys we are more than enough.
Let them buy what they want, they are a sovereign country.

Back
Top Bottom